PDA

View Full Version : Has Wilf's head been turned?

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I hear the "everyone's entitled to an off day" comments but his performance today was absolutely shocking. I watched him for the 2nd goal and he neither moved nor celebrated the goal with his teammates, he was late for the 2nd half warm up, didn't celebrate at the end with everyone else and his overall general demeanour was of someone who clearly didn't want to be there.

I'll be honest I was gutted today as I was so looking forward to seeing him prove a point to Hodgson, but instead he proved the opposite.

Hopefully it's a minor blip but I cant help but feel his days as a Palace player are limited.

crenoleagle
17-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I hear the "everyone's entitled to an off day" comments but his performance today was absolutely shocking. I watched him for the 2nd goal and he neither moved nor celebrated the goal with his teammates, he was late for the 2nd half warm up, didn't celebrate at the end with everyone else and his overall general demeanour was of someone who clearly didn't want to be there.

I'll be honest I was gutted today as I was so looking forward to seeing him prove a point to Hodgson, but instead he proved the opposite.

Hopefully it's a minor blip but I cant help but feel his days as a Palace player are limited.
This bit always happens, just hope the rest was a one off.

palaceboy1
17-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Shite post

Excowboy
17-11-2012, 08:22 PM
He's had a massive week. His head's probably all over the place. The hype will calm down a bit now and he's got a full week of training before Leeds to get back to normal. Today showed we're not reliant on him to take teams apart.

bradpitt
17-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Someone on here said he tweeted after the game saying he was disappointed with his performance and was looking forward to the next game, or something along those lines. That's enough to convince me all is ok with Wilf for now.

Oisin
17-11-2012, 08:24 PM
No.

SeaEagle
17-11-2012, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't make too big a deal of it. The fact that he was triple-marked for most of the game may have kept him quiet, but it also provided the space through the middle for Moritz and FFS to do their things.

doogleboy
17-11-2012, 08:25 PM
did notice that he didn't go over to celebrate with moritz after the 2nd. surprised but doubt it means anything. he seemed in a bad mood since he didn't get that blatant pen in the 1st half, was really wound up.

tasty_snacks
17-11-2012, 08:25 PM
With all due respect BR, this is a crock of shit.

Being objective for a second, quite how anyone can say any player had a bad game in a 3 - 0 win, is quite bizarre. He's even tweeted tonight that he'll do better next match (I know this, and I don't even use the pernicious Twitter).

Now being angry for a second - it's posts and observations like this that are at the hub of the pressure that lad might start to feel. He's a young lad from South London doing his best - that's enough for me.

webgard
17-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Someone on here said he tweeted after the game saying he was disappointed with his performance and was looking forward to the next game, or something along those lines. That's enough to convince me all is ok with Wilf for now.

Wilfried Zaha ‏@yungzaha:

Never played well today .. Need to make it right next game

ForzaPalace
Ask me again Feb 1st

spuddy
I didn't think his demeanour was of a man not wanting to be there it was a demeanour of a man getting annoyed at being kicked from pillar to post & not having one of his better games.

Nothing to worry about. His first touch of the match today was worth the entrance fee alone.

Joooe
Blimey, he wasn't even that bad.

And it should be said in the second half, he had three men on him every time he got the ball.

racehorse-80s
17-11-2012, 08:27 PM
His head looked the rightway round to me.
Mentally tired IMO but still showed glimpses of pure skill .

Al From Bromley
17-11-2012, 08:29 PM
The first trick he did today after a minute or two was amongst the best I've seen, I can't even describe it, a sort of flick through his legs with the heel, but he did have a quiet day for him.

ebyeeckeagle
17-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I hear the "everyone's entitled to an off day" comments.............................Hopefully it's a minor blip but I cant help but feel his days as a Palace player are limited.

What a crock of shit. We win, and you start a thread on this? Based on one match. Jesus wept.

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 08:31 PM
He's had a massive week. His head's probably all over the place. The hype will calm down a bit now and he's got a full week of training before Leeds to get back to normal. Today showed we're not reliant on him to take teams apart.
Good points and I hope you're right, I agree he's entitled to a bad game after the amazing stuff he's done recently but I was more concerned about the body language. As you say the big plus point is that it proves we're no one man team, so stuff that up your arse Adrian Durham!

JAS78
17-11-2012, 08:31 PM
He'll be the difference in the next two away games, just watch.

scro
17-11-2012, 08:33 PM
he was not terrible today at all. I thought he actually showed some signs of knowing how his marked man status could mean a quick pass from him could cause havoc removing two players from the game.I love watching him run with it and go at the opposition but for him to move to the next level he needed to improve his decision making and learn to choose a quick pass. He did that today and was unselfish. So still a good performance in terms of his progress and his worth to the campaign.

Ruskin Old Boy
17-11-2012, 08:35 PM
He's maturing, he's allowed a lot of leeway and he's rightly earned it. Must be strange for him, one of the youngest players in the squad yet he's already a full England international but knows he's not one of the senior pros yet.

Little or no protection from the ref again, probably should have been awarded a penalty, got a lot of abuse from the Derby fans and Roberts had a go at him off the ball prior to a Palace fan (good to see Murray immediately have a go at Roberts). And while he might have been at his absolute best he did lay on several chances today - the best at the start of the 2nd half when Moritz put the chance over the bar.

I do wish people would stop going on about him leaving; we have a cracking squad at the moment, it's been a joy watching Palace this season. (Oh alright, for most of this season :) )

Robson
17-11-2012, 08:35 PM
It was so predictable the first 'average' game he has after his England call-up that this sort of thing would be asked.

He didn't even have that bad a game. For anyone else it would have been classed as good, but because everyone now expects him to nutmeg three players and do the Cruyff turn every time he gets the ball, he's rated on a much higher benchmark.

He was quiet today but as Clough said in his interview they identified him as a threat (you would, wouldn't you?) and at times he had 3-4 players around him.

Leave the boy alone.

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Being objective for a second, quite how anyone can say any player had a bad game in a 3 - 0 win, is quite bizarre. He's even tweeted tonight that he'll do better next match (I know this, and I don't even use the pernicious Twitter).

Now being angry for a second - it's posts and observations like this that are at the hub of the pressure that lad might start to feel. He's a young lad from South London doing his best - that's enough for me.
It's not a crock of shit, it's something I think all of us may have been concerned about after mixing it with the PL millionaires and it did seem rather coincidental that he had by far his worse game in ages after it all. It seems he's admitted he had a bad game on twitter so fair play to him and that's hopefully the end of it.

Eaglefoz
17-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Seconded.

Jasper
17-11-2012, 08:38 PM
What a ridiculous thread. By his own outrageous high standards he wasn't as good today, but to say he was shocking is nonsense. a lot of wild assumptions have been made here, He spent a few days with the England squad, not some bizarre cult. He looked annoyed that he was constantly getting fouled but getting no decisions, particularly after the penalty. Get a grip.

scro
17-11-2012, 08:39 PM
to say he had a shocking game today is crazy. Truly mental.

Palace's12thMan

Are you for real? He gave the assist for the crucial second goal. He's only human, try getting past 3 markers yourself, and we have 10 other players who can help ensure we arent a one man team

TheMexicanHorse
**** me, we are top of the league man.

Braders
His first touch was to take 3 players out of the game and he was tightly marked allowing more space for the likes of Moritz and Bolasie to have an impact.

He didn't have a bad game today, he was just frustrated by a team determined to shut him out. I would say he took one for the team, as their insistence on keeping him quiet allowed us to be creative elsewhere.

Chin up Wilf, you are a joy to watch.

AJ
Of course his head has been turned....after watching his Palace team mates today he was confused how he only got 5 minutes in an inferior team on Wednesday :o

alanlee11
17-11-2012, 08:41 PM
was getting kicked all over the place today, disgraceful from Derby - not surprised he was in a bad mood.

Bounce back
17-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice quite game done the lad good , he's played lots of football and been on a plane to Sweden and back in the last week or so

Chris K
17-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Bloody hell, last saturday he played for us then as it was his birthday went and got smashed to be woken in the morning by Drogba on the phone to him saying he should play for Ivory Coast, then gets called up to the England squad. The following morning he's up at 5am to join the England squad, jumps on a plane to Sweden, spends 2-3 days there having more attention thrown at him in that period than the rest of his career put together. He gets home from Sweden at 4am Thursday morning and by that evening he's out in town meeting fans at the road show.

He must be absolutely shattered after all that. Being triple teamed by Derby would have only added to it.

Nothing to see here

N Herts Eagle
Clough admitted he concentrated on shutting down the danger from the wing. Was not there but seems he did it by triple banking and taking him out if all else fails but not in the box. All that appears to have done is let the guys in the middle destroy them. The lesson he learns today is how to deal with it and accept that its a team game he might not had the most outstanding game but by being marked like he was meant the space was created for the team
Just step back Wilf is 20 been through a hell of a week learnt a few lessons, comes back early hours of the morning and yet still turns up at the Whitgift. Not trained with the team head in a bit of a spin and every star has an off day. Relax

Skiddo
What a load of old flannel.

JAS78
At one point or more he had 3 defenders on him, poor lad.

Hopefully that continues, opens spaces all over the place for us to exploit.

CPFC2010ANDON
17-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Nigel Clough said they concentrated on the wide men, yet it was Murray who was the man today.

The fact that they concentrated on the widemen suggests a reason why Wilf had an off day not to mention he has had a lot of head-spinning attection etc this week.

Don't panic

SE25 exile
17-11-2012, 08:45 PM
PP comms said he was angry and fed up with the fouling today. No doubt the recent hype means that he is going to get marked by four instead of the usual three, but that is all to the good for the team as a whole. It doesn't mean anymore than that!

ebyeeckeagle
17-11-2012, 08:47 PM
...and that's hopefully the end of it.

But YOU have already decided he has had his head turned. Not that he maybe just had an average game with several defenders on him after a mentally tough week.

That's a real slight on a player isn't it? You are essentially saying he is not interested in Palace anymore.

Chester
17-11-2012, 08:49 PM
You cant make it up at times, what utter crap gets posted on here by some. Should have their keyboards removed.

Edit: nice one precious, if you cant handle someone telling you you are a shit poster stop posting shit threads

917L
17-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Bar having a bit of a sulk after Murray didnt square to him for the 3rd goal, he did fine, just not as well as he can

He will have games that dont meet the standards he has set and we are used to

And I agree the OP has it wrong 100%

majaro
17-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Zaha just didn't cope too well with being overly marked and getting no protection from the ref.. It wound him up and pulled him out of the game. I was desperate for him to get a goal just to be able to rub it in their fans' faces..

I think this is all fair enough after a crazy week.

I think he's still fine.. There was a moment in the first half when Holloway was having a chat with him and Bolasie (I think when Moritz got treatment) and he walked away with a grin on his face from what was said.

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 08:54 PM
But YOU have already decided he has had his head turned. Not that he maybe just had an average game with several defenders on him after a mentally tough week.

That's a real slight on a player isn't it? You are essentially saying he is not interested in Palace anymore.
Today he looked like a player who wasn't interested. Whether that was because of the manmarking he received, the poor refereeing or simply tiredness after a long week who knows but his attitude wasn't right.

I haven't decided his head has been turned but I'm concerned it might have been after today.

Seaside Eagle
17-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I haven't decided his head has been turned but I'm concerned it might have been after today.

The rest of us disagree so don't worry about it. Enjoy yet another weekend where Palace have won :p

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 08:58 PM
The rest of us disagree so don't worry about it. Enjoy yet another weekend where Palace have won :p
Fair enough. Dont worry it wont stop me winding up my Brighton mates.:p

Malarkey
17-11-2012, 09:00 PM
He only had 3 players on him for most of the game

Shipp Ahoy!
17-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Without reading many posts.

Could it not possibly be because he was shattered? Been a mad week for him. Won't have trained with the team for much of it and I wouldn't mind betting has had a sleepless night or two with the excitement. Add in traveling to and from Sweden in a couple of days as well as the pressures of interviews and such media attention.

Jees that reading all that made me feel tired!

Relax! He wants to at least see this season out and this is something that comes as close to the horses mouth as you can get :)

ebyeeckeagle
17-11-2012, 09:05 PM
...I haven't decided his head has been turned but I'm concerned it might have been after today.

Pathetic. Don't try that cop-out excuse. Backpedaling at it's worst.

You start a thread with those words in them. Just like posters with 'should X be sacked'. It's for those without the courage of their convictions - allows this tired old line of 'I didn't say...'.

1 game. 1 ******* game.

JDawg
17-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't think it's an issue.

The media circus this week coupled the quadruple teaming he received today in front of an indifferent referee was bound to result in a reaction. It's been a week and a half for him. It was noticeable able that the cameraman in the tunnel at the end continued the marking job that the Derby County had tried to do. However, he is surrounded by a team where synergy works. He is integral to that team so if he, or indeed anybody else aren't at their best, the unit adapts to both protect and enhance.

Additionally it looks like he has recognised that today was not his best performance and that he wants to do something about it. That shows huge maturity and a weeks worth of training as a unit will, one hopes, get the whirlwind of last week out of his system as he's back with our family.

He is box office and will attract attention. An in attracting the attention of three or maybe four defenders when he got the ball helped the team. Not perhaps what he wants but it all helps.

God help Leeds.

Maximus Dowieus
17-11-2012, 09:08 PM
He's had a huge week. Ollie made a point of saying it has been a difficult week for him. Imagine the elation initially of getting picked for England and then the disappointment of the twerp, yes twerp, Hodgson only bringing him on for the last 5 mins when the game was effectively over. He didn't stand a chance of impressing. I felt sorry for Wilf.

Then today Derby did a job on him. Often there were 2 to 4 players crowded around him! It didn't stop us because we are not a one man team but for Wilf I suspect it was the end of a very frustrating week. Remember he's still very young and with his rising profile there is ever more pressure on him to perform. You could argue he helped us win the game today purely on his growing reputation (the attention Derby gave to him).

mik59
17-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't say it was shocking. Late in 2nd half he did fantastic to almost get a shot on goal from a tight angle. One touch from another and you'd be raving.

carter
17-11-2012, 09:10 PM
He is allowed an off day. It's the Crystal Palace show anyway not the Wilf Zaha show but a lot of people think its the Wilf Zaha show in the upper Holmesdale where I sit. A lot of moaning about him today and I think some people only really did turn up because of him. People expect a lot from him and he is no where near the finished article. Looking back there was a lot of moaning about him actually but it's just the people that don't have a clue because we have class in our team like Bolasie, Williams, Moritz and Murray

CP Satellite
17-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't think many lads who have just turned twenty have a week like Wilf has just experienced.

He has just spent most of the week in a completely new environment, training with many players he has hardly met before in the Full England squad - and we've all witnessed how certain media figures have twisted and manipulated his words - that in itself can make you lose focus in doing your normal routine properly.

Just a week ago, Wilf had put in a superb display against Peterborough - with all that was lacking was a goal for himself, which he came close to scoring.

Now, seven days later, people are asking if his head has been turned after a possibly sluggish display - even though he is part of a team now pulling clear at the top of the table.

Give the lad a bit of breathing space - these next three matches are as tough as it's possibly going to get with two trips to Yorkshire and the match against the cu[brighton]nts being 9 massive points - I think we will be better able to judge the entire playing squad, not just Wilf over the next 14 days and come to a clearer conclusion how things are progressing.

dim
17-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Has Wilf's head been turned?

No. But there are plenty of defenders whose legs and brains have been turned inside out and again in the past year.

ffsear
17-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Absolute bullshit attention seeking thread

Kirby
17-11-2012, 09:20 PM
He was clearly under-par today and didn't work as hard as usual at times.

Don't really blame him after the week he's had though.

He's been outstanding in almost every game since August, so I'm sure he'll be back to his best next week :p

scro
17-11-2012, 09:20 PM
One thing i would say......... wilf needs to learn to hide his emotions a bit. He will learn.

I remember watching an interview with Federer where he said as a youngster he wore his emotions too much on his sleeve and would scream and shout and be too obviously emotionaly. He realised that to be at the top of the game he needed to hide it and control it. I think that counts even more in football for players like wilf.

I said to my brother today in the first half when he lost it a bit. If I was a much less talented opposition player, At this point i would be in his face and hoping he does something daft.

Nth Kent Eagle
17-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Derby quite understandably focused on the threat from the wings but that just thinned out the centre which provided more space for our players to burst through.

cockles
17-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Bloody hell, last saturday he played for us then as it was his birthday went and got smashed to be woken in the morning by Drogba on the phone to him saying he should play for Ivory Coast, then gets called up to the England squad. The following morning he's up at 5am to join the England squad, jumps on a plane to Sweden, spends 2-3 days there having more attention thrown at him in that period than the rest of his career put together. He gets home from Sweden at 4am Thursday morning and by that evening he's out in town meeting fans at the road show.

He must be absolutely shattered after all that. Being triple teamed by Derby would have only added to it.

Nothing to see here

Great summary. Only, I'd thought the Drogba call was earlier than last Sunday, no?

James
17-11-2012, 09:26 PM
All players are entitled to an 'off day' - and an 'off day' for Wilf would be an amazing game for most ordinary players. Zaha knows that he can play a lot better than he did today, but after the week he has had, I was amazed that he played as well as he did.

The only other home game I can remember when Zaha didn't shine was the second half v Millwall after his booking (and the sending off) when he also looked a bit lost at times. However, he bounced back from that very quickly.

His body language showed that he wasn't very happy this afternoon, but he really shouldn't be so hard on himself. As others have said (and I am sure Wilf and his team-mates know), some teams like Derby will double, or even triple, mark him. That would make it hard for the best player in the World to perform tricks - but it leaves more room for the others and Zaha played his part by acting as a defender sponge without his usual mesmerising dribbles and stunning crosses.

scro
17-11-2012, 09:29 PM
All players are entitled to an 'off day' - and an 'off day' for Wilf would be an amazing game for most ordinary players. Zaha knows that he can play a lot better than he did today, but after the week he has had, I was amazed that he played as well as he did.

The only other home game I can remember when Zaha didn't shine was the second half v Millwall after his booking (and the sending off) when he also looked a bit lost at times. However, he bounced back from that very quickly.

His body language showed that he wasn't very happy this afternoon, but he really shouldn't be so hard on himself. As others have said (and I am sure Wilf and his team-mates know), some teams like Derby will double, or even triple, mark him. That would make it hard for the best player in the World to perform tricks - but it leaves more room for the others and Zaha played his part by acting as a defender sponge without his usual mesmerising dribbles and stunning crosses.

I do wonder why we don't take the opportunity to give him a rest though. We were so in control he could have come off after moritz scored and just chilled out.

Shipps@Palace
17-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Thought their no.3 did a good job on him (albeit wrong) ....was always in his ear trying to wind him up and get him to bite, there is only so much that Wilf can be expected to take before he gets dragged in to the row.

End of the day we have the best player in the league and even when he doesnt perform to his best we still win 3-0

Tomo
17-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I can't believe I'm even posting in one of the shittes threads the BBS has ever seen.

A football forum that prides itself on threads titled "let's count to a
Million" and "whoever posts first on the 3rd page wins"...

A 20 year old kid who has spent the week training with England, who was triple marked, who got assaulted the first few times he had the ball didn't play to his usual standards...

Every player has a shit game. Stop trying to make an issue about something that isn't.

Tomo
17-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Absolute bullshit attention seeking thread
I should have just quoted this instead.

Catford Eagle
17-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Three men on him at every turn; no penalty for a blatant body check in the first half. Wilf has never reacted well to being close marked, or fouled. He will get this most games now, and will learn to overcome it, because the alternative is to be an easy target in every game. Trust him - it won't be easy, but he'll do it. He's too good not to.

baldeagle68
17-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I can't believe I'm even posting in one of the shittes threads the BBS has ever seen.

A 20 year old kid who has spent the week training with England, who was triple marked, who got assaulted the first few times he had the ball didn't play to his usual standards...

Every player has a shit game. Stop trying to make an issue about something that isn't.

This....Bang On......:p

Had 3 men on him...No protection and should have had a pen.....

And that's a sh*t day at the office???

How expectations have gone through the roof... Relax Wilf loves being at Palace.:lux: :lux: :lux:

stinky
17-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Every time he had the ball, three men were on him.

He had an off day, and we still won 3-0. One man team? Bollocks.

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-11-2012, 09:40 PM
so, did he have 3 men on him?

Billy Rhino
17-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Pathetic. Don't try that cop-out excuse. Backpedaling at it's worst.

You start a thread with those words in them. Just like posters with 'should X be sacked'. It's for those without the courage of their convictions - allows this tired old line of 'I didn't say...'.

1 game. 1 ******* game.
Eh? Read the thread title, it's a question not a statement. I was concerned like most people that his head may have been turned by some of the other primadonnas in the England squad and then after it he has his worst games for ages.

In a week where it was announced the average wage of a PL player is 35k/week it wouldn't surprise me if it's on his mind, wouldn't it be on yours?

Love all this attempted cyber-bullying on here, reminds me of what the trust had to put up with when they questioned Simon Jordan's financial activities.

As for attention seeking, I honestly am not and dont give a shit about all that. All I'm interested in is the best interests of our club. If the mods think this thread is counter-productive for any reason then by all means close/delete it.

jamieb73
17-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Eh? Read the thread title, it's a question not a statement. I was concerned like most people that his head may have been turned by some of the other primadonnas in the England squad and then after it he has his worst games for ages.

In a week where it was announced the average wage of a PL player is 35k/week it wouldn't surprise me if it's on his mind, wouldn't it be on yours?

Love all this attempted cyber-bullying on here, reminds me of what the trust had to put up with when they questioned Simon Jordan's financial activities.

As for attention seeking, I honestly am not and dont give a shit about all that. All I'm interested in is the best interests of our club. If the mods think this thread is counter-productive for any reason then by all means close/delete it.
What a load of rubbish ( just read this thread in whole) Wilf did celebrate with Moritz after he scored, as mentioned previously, he had 3 defenders on him some of the time. Yeah he wasn't man of the match but still did a decent job. Give the kid some space

cdm61
17-11-2012, 10:13 PM

:p

marky1919
17-11-2012, 10:16 PM

I don't think he DID have a terribly bad game, but this is a strange comment. Of course a team can win 3-0 with one or two players not playing well at all.

Man of Kent
17-11-2012, 10:20 PM
He managed to come to the Crystal Palace roadshow on Thursday when he didn't need to, doesn't sound like a lack of commitment to me.

pete eagle
17-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I'll add to the this is a terrible thread brigade. Wilf did a pretty decent job defensively today and tracked back when he had to. At one point in the second half, he gave the ball away and tracked back to make the tackle, if he didn't care then he would have had a strop and not bothered. He wasn't at his best, no player can be all the time and he was well marshalled by the Derby defence.

jone-zee
17-11-2012, 10:25 PM
LEAVE THE KID ALONE!

HOL_Beagle
17-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Just got back.

Wilf had a off day.

I just knew there would be a doom and gloom thread reading too much into it.

And here it is.

Malarkey
17-11-2012, 10:27 PM
didn't notice him today, was too busy watching Murray destroy them

doof
17-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Saw him after the game to give him a shirt. He look pretty tired and a bit dejected but made time to sign for all the people. One kid just outright asked him if he was going and said Real Madrid have bid 20 Million but Wilf just laughed it off and said he's a Palace player.

nobbystyles
17-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I think he had 3 men on him today and we won 3-0. I'm hoping for 4 men on him next game!

karl.eldridge
17-11-2012, 10:35 PM
He played well the only reason people are saying otherwise is because after seeing how he can perform they expect it week in week out. He wasn't the best player on the pitch yet still managed to cause trouble even with 3 men on him.

jone-zee
17-11-2012, 10:39 PM
so, did he have 3 men on him?
Yep and they werent the previous crew so put your dinkle away

jhc
17-11-2012, 10:53 PM
The problem is he's set himself very high standards this season. It's been a big week for him and I wouldn't read too much into his performance today.
By most players standards he played well, but this season we've come to expect something special every game. He didn't quite reach those standards but I see no reason to suggest his head has been turned.

Leeds & Hull will see him back to his very best, of that I have no doubt.

Jim Cannon
17-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to put a dampener on things

Popester
17-11-2012, 11:04 PM
What a morbid thread during such a great few weeks.

3 Beers at HT
17-11-2012, 11:04 PM

You're a fvcking moron.

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Yep and they werent the previous crew so put your dinkle away

trying to work out this curious post

Arron
17-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Think the OP needs to lay off the crack.

jone-zee
17-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to put a dampener on things

:p

jone-zee
17-11-2012, 11:10 PM
trying to work out this curious post

Blimey you got back from Bolton quick :eek:

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Blimey you got back from Bolton quick :eek:

trying to work out this curious post...

steve hail
17-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I would like to see this thread removed.

PauLo
17-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I didn't really notice anything different from Wilf today.

But then again, I wasn't there, so I don't think I can comment...

jone-zee
17-11-2012, 11:19 PM
trying to work out this curious post...

Oh you guys :rolleyes:

audreytatou
17-11-2012, 11:25 PM

well said

kolinkins
17-11-2012, 11:27 PM
He still had his moments but others stepped up theirs

Nothing to see here; most unhelpful thread

gilesy14
17-11-2012, 11:27 PM
This is an embarrassing thread.

palace_burger
17-11-2012, 11:44 PM
A man utd supporting mate came with me today (I'm working on conversion.. He joined in with plenty of palace singing!). Anyway I commented to him that I had never seen Wilf pass so much, and he played lots of quality balls.

This was a result of being crowded out, it showed a less greedy side to him and that he could pick a pass.

On the body language front, yes he looked dissapointed because

a) for not getting the pen, I think this was not given as any normal player wouldnt have got to the ball where he pushed it past the defenders, both we and Wilf know we would have got to it!

b) his tricks didn't come off ESP as he had three players on him, which opened space for others, that he found with great passes. Except the trick in the first minute which was sublime and impossible to describe. For those who want to know what it was like... Go buy a half year season ticket.. You are literally missing a trick!

c) Dispite the front players finding space to be delivered the ball to feet, we for some reason towards the end started lumping it (hope this was a one off)

So bad performance not at all, an effective performance.. Absolutely, having Wilf on the pitch created lots of space, which was the difference for our play and ultimately the goals.

Wilf is probably dissapointed that he didn't do loads of individual dribbles beating loads of players with amazing tricks, but at the end of the day even without this his impact in the match and team tactics effected the result. Well played, chin up.

Head turned... Errrrm what are you talking about! No proof of this from
Today's performance.

Wilf is your reading, save those humiliating runs of yours for the Brighton match :-)

Jono14
17-11-2012, 11:45 PM
He did go over to Moritz.

addopalace
17-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't think it's embarrassing. He simply didn't have the beating of his man today and I can't say I noticed the 'three' defenders on him.

He made two massive mistakes: when he tried to play the ball out of defence and lost it; and when he passed along the back...to their centre forward. It wasn't a good game for him, but heigh-hum and all that.

Where I do side with the conspiracy theorists out there, is on the point of his being tantalized by senior England action. This saddens me, as, even if he were to stay beyond January and we were to be promoted, I think he'd still petition for a transfer to another club. Oh well.

anti-addick
17-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Some supporters seem to have plenty of bad days. He's a diamond, and he's so good we cannot possibly keep him as he must shine at the very top.

I'm just gonna love him whilst he's here, then watch his brilliant career proudly.

Braintree Eagle
17-11-2012, 11:49 PM

Great post. That just about sums it up for me.

Chobham Eagle
17-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Well I supposed someone had to write this fiction just to get a response. :rolleyes:

Chobham Eagle
17-11-2012, 11:58 PM
It's not a crock of shit

You're right. It's a MASSIVE crock of shit. About as believable as an Enid Blighton story. Still, at least you've got your six pages of responses.

Chobham Eagle
17-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Today he looked like a player who wasn't interested.

And that's an extra large crock of shit.

Chobham Eagle
18-11-2012, 12:01 AM

Good post. And it wasn't even like had a shit game. Just a little quieter than usual.

Chobham Eagle
18-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I wonder what Ian Holloway's views would be about this thread. Just try saying 'crock of shite' in a west country accent.

west country boy
18-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I would like to see this thread removed.I would like to see Queen Rania off of Jordan in the nip, please.

addopalace
18-11-2012, 12:20 AM

Zaha had a bad game - don't you dare take it out on twatter!

Billy Rhino
18-11-2012, 12:21 AM
You're right. It's a MASSIVE crock of shit. About as believable as an Enid Blighton story. Still, at least you've got your six pages of responses.
Looks like half of them are from you.:hi:

leamoss
18-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Good post Billy Rhino. You're entitled to an opinion and shouldn't be put off by the Rose coloured glasses clowns who can't hear anything against a Palace player on here.
He wasn't up to his usual form but maybe he's just had a hard week. I thought he had a great game and was passing the ball early rather than playing like a 12 year old who thinks he can beat every player on the opposing team. Hopefully he learnt he doesn't have to do it al his self while with the England squad.

Jono14
18-11-2012, 12:28 AM
That picture of Murray and Moritz celebrating you can see Zaha with his arms over Moritz. Chill he had 3 to 4 men on him at all times today and it benefited us with all the space it made.

Chobham Eagle
18-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Good post Billy Rhino. You're entitled to an opinion and shouldn't be put off by the Rose coloured glasses clowns who can't hear anything against a Palace player on here.
He wasn't up to his usual form but maybe he's just had a hard week. I thought he had a great game and was passing the ball early rather than playing like a 12 year old who thinks he can beat every player on the opposing team. Hopefully he learnt he doesn't have to do it al his self while with the England squad.

Interesting you say it was a good post but you go on to say that Wilf had a great game. A little inconsistent don't you think?

Billy Rhino
18-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks. I love Wilf and think he is the most talented player I've seen in a Palace shirt, and I tell this to everyone I meet when discussing Palace. On reflection maybe my first post was a bit ott but Wilf just seem so different to his normal self that it seemed like something wasn't right, hopefully it was just the events of the last week and he will destroy Leeds next Saturday.

It's only an opinion so chill out people, we're all Palace here.;)

leamoss
18-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Interesting you say it was a good post but you go on to say that Wilf had a great game. A little inconsistent don't you think?
No not inconsistent. He has an opinion and is entitled to put it up for discussion without being called an idiot. Zaha did play differently today than he has in recent times. That's worth discussing.
If you disagree with the bloke tell him why without trying to put him down.

Chobham Eagle
18-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks. I love Wilf and think he is the most talented player I've seen in a Palace shirt, and I tell this to everyone I meet when discussing Palace. On reflection maybe my first post was a bit ott but Wilf just seem so different to his normal self that it seemed like something wasn't right, hopefully it was just the events of the last week and he will destroy Leeds next Saturday.

OK. Fair do's. :p

ebyeeckeagle
18-11-2012, 12:44 AM
...It's only an opinion so chill out people, we're all Palace here.;)

Your opinion was essentially (despite weasel words) that Wilf had his head turned and put in an inferior performance because of it, listed the fact that he didnt celebrate and had bad body language to support that view.

No wonder people are ****ed off. After having Wilf slagged off by bits of the media and OTHER clubs, the least I would expect is Palace fans to have a bit of sense and undertstanding.

Arsehole.

Kuqi32
18-11-2012, 12:45 AM
It was a more mature performance from Wilf, there were times where he would've just ran on his own but he actually passed it out wide to Jonny Parr and back when he would normally go on his own.

Being marked by 3 players shackled him for most of the game, but that gave everybody else space to exploit.

Our performance today showed we are not a one man team, nowhere near.

ebyeeckeagle
18-11-2012, 12:49 AM
No not inconsistent. He has an opinion and is entitled to put it up for discussion without being called an idiot...

He is certainly entitled to put up an opinion.

And in return, I can pass comment on that opinion. If it is idiotic, then that is how I will describe it.

OK. Ian Holloway should be sacked after his first defeat. It's my opinion and up for discussion. But there is no way I can be called an idiot for that opinion?

PALACEFAN
18-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm glad this thread got the slating it deserves.

Chester
18-11-2012, 03:17 AM

Thanks for telling me to go **** myself then.

And you are a fking god awful poster.

bubbs11
18-11-2012, 08:35 AM
He's saving himself for Brighton. :p

Eaglefoz
18-11-2012, 09:07 AM
After watching bbc last night and realising cameras had been on him all day, added to the other things mentioned on this thread, I think we can accept one day of super stardom instead of the normal Mega stardom.

Dave
18-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Awful thread, he is only just turned 20 ffs

thehound
18-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Exactly.

glaziers fan
18-11-2012, 09:35 AM
It's a stupid thread precipitated by the media coverage encouraging Derby to put 3 to 4 men on him at all times. I thought Wilf played it well in the first half by offloading the ball earlier than normal, but it's clear that he prefers to beat players and got frustrated as the game went on.

It'll be a good learning curve for him. He needs to learn that sometimes he won't get a chance to run with the ball, and sometimes he will have to just suck defenders in for the good of the team, and switch the play. But my major criticism of him yesterday is that when we were 2-0 and 3-0 up and Moritz/Garvan had it he was not looking to make runs to get in behind the full back. Disappointed he didn't have that hunger to get himself on the scoresheet - he was v. flat footed.

Williams coming back will help him. The more I look at this team the more I think a midfield trio of Jedinak, Williams and Moritz would be fine once KG has gone to the ACON.

Heb 7:4
18-11-2012, 09:37 AM
If Wilf has three or four people round him every game leaving the rest of the team to run riot, I'll be more than happy.

StudentEagle
18-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Don't compare the absolute nonsense you have posted to the fact-based analysis others have put on here in the past.

"Cyber bullying"?! Don't be so precious. If you post drivel, expect to be called up on it. Absolutely pathetic comments and a ridiculous thread.

palacemaniac
18-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Is he?

hdeagle
18-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Wilf had 3 shots saved in the second half and was unlucky not to score but no mention has been made of that in the reports on how he performed against Derby.

eaglejez
18-11-2012, 10:47 AM
if that was an off day then I'm happy.

ps - did you forget about the run and cross at the start of the second half FFS put over not to mention that fact that he had min 2 players on him.

Jason
18-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Fair play. For what it's worth, I share the view of most here. He's had a roller coaster week of being called up to the England squad with all the hype that goes with that, travelling, making a brief debut, and then returning to normality. It's going to be difficult for a very young player to be at his best mentally after that, and learning to deal with those things is actually all part of developing into the player we all believe he will become.

He also had a day where he didn't get as much protection as he should have from the officials, and if there is one consistent weakness in his game at present, it is imho an understandable tendancy to allow his head to drop when he gets roughed up by defenders and not protected.

If he's off the boil in the next three or four games, there might be something to be concerned by, but not at this stage imho.

gingerob
18-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Pressure was on him as he is the hot kid on the block at the moment. Everytime he touched the ball he hgad 3 defenders on him straight away.

David of Kent
18-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Pressure was on him as he is the hot kid on the block at the moment. Everytime he touched the ball he hgad 3 defenders on him straight away.

Helps the team and creates room for others. Moritz scored, Murray 2 and an assist, an assist as well for Yannick.

Random*
18-11-2012, 11:51 AM
He had a bad game only in that we now have such high expectations for him.

He was heavily marked all game, a man on him at all times and when the ball got near him he'd gain another man, and if he happened to get the ball there'd be a third.

What it meant was that the rest of the midfield had bags of space and owned it.

chrystalsfan
18-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Not read the whole thread but when he badly misplaced a pass in a dangerous position in the 2nd half he raised his hand in apology to every team member.
He's had a very disorientating week for a young lad but didn't see anything wrong in his attitude - just someone not happy with their own performance.

Jim Cannon
18-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Close this thread FFS. We already have the Zaha Speculation thread for this kind of thing anyway

chrystalsfan
18-11-2012, 11:57 AM
didn't notice him today, was too busy watching Murray destroy them
The opposite was true for the Derby defenders

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
18-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Haven't read all the thread so aplogies if this has been mentioned but their No. 3 (Roberts) was at him from the off.

In the first half after Wilf was denied a blatant penalty [ It was right in front of me - how many men does it take to clatter one bloke before a ref will give a penalty ] - Roberts was mouthing off the whole time, just winding Wilf up...even after they were spoken to by the ref.

I wouldn't mind betting that eventually this sort of behaviour (and no doubt the odd insult) finally got to WZ...and he thought "sod it..we've won this, Im not having the best of days...lets just get it over with."

All part of his learning curve.

rainbow_child
18-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Embarrassing thread, please close this bollox!

JFIVienna
18-11-2012, 12:21 PM
No point in trying to interpret his body language or demeanour........one day Wilf will go. Might be January, might be the end of the season but it cant be much longer than that.
We cant hold onto him, nor could any club outside the top 4. We couldn't (and wouldn't) pay the wages he will command next season even if we wanted to.
Wilf has done his bit and signed a long term contract, so when he goes Palace get a new stadium.
Enjoy and savour every moment we have left of him. I get one game this season, and I am hoping and praying he will be fit for Huddersfield.

muswell eagle
18-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Heb 7:4
If Wilf has three or four people round him every game leaving the rest of the team to run riot, I'll be more than happy.

My thoughts entirely

Dan A
18-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Not read the whole thread but when he badly misplaced a pass in a dangerous position in the 2nd half he raised his hand in apology to every team member.
He's had a very disorientating week for a young lad but didn't see anything wrong in his attitude - just someone not happy with their own performance.

I think that was when he run across the pitch to win the ball back with Parr :) Then he put his hand up to Delaney it hink.

Penshaw Eagle
18-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Tweet just put on twitter by Wilf

"Wilfried Zaha ‏@yungzaha
Starting to See things in a new way ...hmmm"

jcreedy
18-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Maybe he read the Holloway column in The Mirror.

Selhurst Guy
18-11-2012, 01:30 PM
He wasn't that bad. Derby came with the primary aim to target and stifle Wilf and Bolasie which gave Moritz all the time and space he could want. I don't know whether Holloway guessed Derby would do that but the inclusion of Moritz is what gave us the edge as I don't believe Garvan would have pushed as far forward and therefore got the the time and space that Moritz did.

Ash
18-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Disruptive, attention seeking thread that does the club no good whatsoever.

CedarEagle
18-11-2012, 01:47 PM
His pass for KG at Peterborough for the winner showed his team ethic.

He did have an off day but there was usually 3 players round him. Hopefully in training this week they'll point out to him that a simple pass to someone should enable them to find the spare players elsewhere unmarked. As Selhurst Guy above points out three people round Wilf left space for Moritz.

If he thought yesterday was tough and to be fair to Derby they weren't that rough I'm sure he'll get The Colin W treatment at Leeds next week and abuse from moronic home fans.

That's the time for a big performance!

vocal yokel
18-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I think its just a headfcuk week for Wilf.

I gotta say the whole England thing looked underwhelming for him, from what I saw. When I saw a picture of him on the bench vs Swedenovic he looked lonely, dejected a bored (and probably confused why raheem sterling was playing the whole match instead of him).

Pips
18-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe he read the Holloway column in The Mirror.

What did Holloway say??

JamTheEagle
18-11-2012, 06:06 PM
What did Holloway say??
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/why-giving-wilfried-zaha-four-minutes-1442372

Pips
18-11-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/why-giving-wilfried-zaha-four-minutes-1442372

Cheers.

carter
18-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Ian can't spell Croydon. Sack him

mb23
18-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Doubt his head's been turned, he's had a crazy week!

Even Claridge on the football league show doesn't think he should leave us, and that's saying something!

He'll be fine, to be fair he got the sh*t kicked out of him all of the first half and didn't get free kicks/penalties, so he was probably in a pretty bad mood.

Wrote this on the ratings thread, but I do think he needs to pass it a bit more, reckon we could have scored a few more if he didn't try and beat the who Derby defence on his own!

Saying that, he did some good stuff, he's said he will do better next time, so that's good enough for me at the moment!

beef
18-11-2012, 06:35 PM
This thread needs to go. Bake 'em away toys.

Stavros 69
18-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Got some new contacts

spuddy
18-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Reading the outside the box section in Saturdays programme was interesting. It's a piece by Neil Ashton about wilf & the paper interview he did.

Wilf was asked 'have you ever thought he's better than me?'

Wilfs answer was 'personally I like to have confidence in myself so I'd never look at someone else and think he's better than me unless I'm looking at someone like ronaldo or messi but when I get on the pitch I think this is all about me I have to perform I don't care what someone else is doing its my time when I get out on the pitch.'

When you read the whole answer it certainly comes across a fair bit different to how it was edited & printed in the papers.

A much more level headed answer than he was given credit for.

Al Terego
18-11-2012, 08:59 PM
"Not read the whole thread but when he badly misplaced a pass in a dangerous position in the 2nd half he raised his hand in apology to every team member."

Wilf also ran the width of the pitch to get the ball and with Parr got the ball back. If that's not commitment to the team I don't know what is!

GreatGonzo
18-11-2012, 09:08 PM
He is not leaving in January so cannot have his head turned.

The big teams don't tend to spend big money, Man U won't come in for him, Man City won't and nor will Chelsea. Arsenal might if Walcott leaves but he is going because he is not getting the chances and the same would happen to Wilf who has said he wants to play games.

He is not yet good enough to walk into a side who have enough money to buy him. He is getting better and learning all the time and maybe in the summer but not yet, and I suspect he will play for us next year if we go up as well.

Chobham Eagle
18-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Reading the outside the box section in Saturdays programme was interesting. It's a piece by Neil Ashton about wilf & the paper interview he did.

Wilf was asked 'have you ever thought he's better than me?'

Wilfs answer was 'personally I like to have confidence in myself so I'd never look at someone else and think he's better than me unless I'm looking at someone like ronaldo or messi but when I get on the pitch I think this is all about me I have to perform I don't care what someone else is doing its my time when I get out on the pitch.'

When you read the whole answer it certainly comes across a fair bit different to how it was edited & printed in the papers.

A much more level headed answer than he was given credit for.

Absolutely. Perhaps we should all print this off so we can read it back to all the twonks who have been mislead by the media.

Gerry from Sussex
19-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't think his head has been turned but if he has become at least a little distracted who could blame him. The press coverage he got last week was way OTT and it was followed by what was really a bit of an anti climax with only getting on for 4 minutes. How can anyone make any sense of all that, not least a 20 year old?

And, in any case, if/when he decides that he has outgrown Palace it won't be a question of having his head turned. He is that good so will inevitably end up at the top of the game. I wish more than anything for that to happen here but it's very unlikely so that's just how it is. Just keep on doing what you are doing Wilf - and good luck.

E_girl
19-11-2012, 11:40 AM
More scouts than usual there on Sat, as result of England call-up. So not a bad day for him to have an off-day.

JHJ EAGLE
19-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Opening post is well OTT in my opinion. Conspiracy theory time!

sydnsteve
20-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I think being away with all those players earning a fortune can only do harm. How could he possibly not be affected by it?