PDA

View Full Version : Zaha should have squared it

BenG
28-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I have loved every minute of the season so far and largely thanks to the brillance of Zaha.

However I have just watched the highlights of last nights game and cannot believe he hasn't squared the ball for Wilbraham to tap in and secure us 3 pts. If we were 1 - 0 up then no problem take the shot, but in the last seconds of the game he has to be less selfish.

Anyway bring on Saturday and the weeds.

Up the Palace!!!!

craigybaby
28-11-2012, 12:46 PM
where did you get hghlights?

BenG
28-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Palace Player

Fatboy
28-11-2012, 01:00 PM
We still got a hard fought draw without Murray and Moritz.

Wilbraham was in the right place at the right time - just Zaha had a rush of blood to the head.

BBK
28-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Hull had a lot more 'what if' and 'should of' moments than us.

wedgetail
28-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Just be glad that Hull can't score.

squelchy18
28-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Still 2nd. No complaints from me :)

sheepy
28-11-2012, 01:04 PM
I have loved every minute of the season so far and largely thanks to the brillance of Zaha.

However I have just watched the highlights of last nights game and cannot believe he hasn't squared the ball for Wilbraham to tap in and secure us 3 pts. If we were 1 - 0 up then no problem take the shot, but in the last seconds of the game he has to be less selfish.

Up the Palace!!!!

Meh, it's easy to say in retrospect and listening to the game he probably knew this (the commentators missed it as well at first)

His decision making in those instances is getting better, it's not perfect but then if it was he wouldn't be at palace.

CP Satellite
28-11-2012, 01:10 PM
It would have been so sweet if Wilf had put the ball in the net, after the stick he got from the Hull crowd last night.

He was clattered so many times, often with the ref allowing play to continue and when he was eventually so blatantly hacked down, clear through on goal, the ref bottled out of sending off the Hull player.

We've just had a couple of very tough away games where not all of the team have 100% on their game - but the encouraging thing is that in both games Palace have come back very strongly in the closing minutes - which is so different to Palace in previous seasons, where we usually sit back and encourage teams to attack us.

I'm sure, on another day, Wilf would have seen the pass and made it, he certainly did at Peterborough after a tremendous run, squaring for KG, he was very close to getting the winner last night - as were several other players for both Hull and Palace - some of the misses were unbelievable.

greybot
28-11-2012, 01:14 PM
We are in an awesome position with two home games coming up. We will put it right soon enough. Do not fret.

HorshamEagle
28-11-2012, 01:14 PM
He could miss five opportunities like that every game for the rest of the season and still not deserve any grief from us fans - fact is he'll convert/set-up more chances like that, than is worth worrying about.

Random*
28-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I think he knows. Still learning his craft, and that decision making will only improve.

Chris K
28-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Should have passed it yes, but you can't blame him for having a go himself as he was also one on one with the keeper

tasty_snacks
28-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Disagree. He worked that chance for himself, and was one on one from a great angle - it was a fantastic save from Stockdale. Had he squared it there was a chance the centre back could've got a block in on Wilbs with an outstretched foot anyway.

Poor highlights incidentally. Missed two balls across the face of the goal for Hull in the 1st half which they really could've scored from, and Speroni's best save of the macth towards full time. Not to mention the talking point of the match - the non sending off - not being shown.

carter
28-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Should of passed it. Saw his name in written in the stars. Annoying. Bolasie could of took a touch for his chance. Korens miss was terrible. Dont understand why Wilbs didnt start

CI Eagle
28-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Listened on Palace Player. The commentator said "Where are the other Palace forwards?" or words to that effect, so it may well have seemed to Wilf that he was on his own.

TBH a point out of that match was very welcome.

Malarkey
28-11-2012, 01:33 PM
It was a point gained instead of 2 points lost, ah well

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
28-11-2012, 01:34 PM
If wishes were fishes there'd be no room in the river for water.

Maidstoned Eagle
28-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I think thats the final nail in his coffin..we should sell the greedy bugger, his heads been turned by England players.

Baffled Bob 2
28-11-2012, 01:42 PM

That's beautiful mate. Did you get it off a beer mat?

tasty_snacks
28-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Unless of course, they were of sufficiently light density to float. ;)

Woosie
28-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Disagree. He worked that chance for himself, and was one on one from a great angle - it was a fantastic save from Stockdale. Had he squared it there was a chance the centre back could've got a block in on Wilbs with an outstretched foot anyway.

Poor highlights incidentally. Missed two balls across the face of the goal for Hull in the 1st half which they really could've scored from, and Speroni's best save of the macth towards full time. Not to mention the talking point of the match - the non sending off - not being shown.

This.

I didn't even see Wilbraham there, & the way Wilf turned his man & cut inside didn't leave him with time to do anything but make an instinctive decision & his momentum made it easier for him to take the shot. Perhaps he could have given it to Wilbs but if Stockdale wasn't such a good 'keeper & hadn't made a world class save then we Wilf would have scored, we would have won & no-one would have batted an eyelid.

johnbush
28-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Should of passed it. Saw his name in written in the stars. Annoying. Bolasie could of took a touch for his chance. Korens miss was terrible. Dont understand why Wilbs didnt start
'Should of... could of...':grrr:
We in the Grammar Police will be keeping an eye on you.

maestro
28-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Wilf really needs to work on his finishing, bar the wolves goal most of his shots which have have gone in have been scuffed or through the keepers legs etc

Granada allover
28-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Not to show the foul for the sending off incident is a trades description issue re: the 'highlights' of the match. The Hull defender in question looked like the last man to me but I'd like to see why the ref didn't give it. Even the Hull fans I spoke to thought he would walk.

Woosie
28-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Not to show the foul for the sending off incident is a trades description issue re: the 'highlights' of the match. The Hull defender in question looked like the last man to me but I'd like to see why the ref didn't give it. Even the Hull fans I spoke to thought he would walk.

You could argue that technically Wilf didn't have the ball under control (as he knocked it ahead of him) but I don't know what the exact rule is or the wording.

AmericanEAGLE.
28-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Just seen the highlights, I don't really blame Wilf. Seemed easier to take on the shot and it was a brilliant save to stop us from getting an undeserved 3 points.

But what a piece of skill to set up the chance, absolutely brilliant.

CrawleyEagle
28-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Should a, could a, would a!

Neillo's Son
28-11-2012, 02:23 PM
The only reason people are thinking 'what if' is because it was the last kick of the game.

If it had happened in the first half, I doubt we'd be talking about it considering how many chances Hull had.

hull eagle
28-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I think the Hull fans mistook Bolasie for Wilf on some occasions the stick he was getting

917L
28-11-2012, 02:30 PM
You could argue that technically Wilf didn't have the ball under control (as he knocked it ahead of him) but I don't know what the exact rule is or the wording.

Denying a Clear goalscoring opportunity

Was it?

rhynoeagle
28-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Wilf has his flaws, everyone does. His finishing really isn't very good.

PauLo
28-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I think the Hull fans mistook Bolasie for Wilf on some occasions the stick he was getting

The daft racists. Maybe the same Hull fans work for SSN too.

Woosie
28-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Denying a Clear goalscoring opportunity

Was it?

Yes. (I thought that was the rule, but thought it was more detailed than that) There's no doubt in my mind it was a red card.

But if Wilf didn't have the ball under control then was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?

917L
28-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes.

But if Wilf didn't have the ball under control then was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?

??

You just said it was,without seeing it I've know idea

ForzaPalace
28-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Wilf has his flaws, everyone does. His finishing really isn't very good.

Did you see the wolves game? :rolleyes:

ollie_porter
28-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Of course he should have squared it! Simple decision making would have got us 3 points.

carter
28-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Wayne Andrews scored a good goal for Palace (his only goal for Palace) against Coventry, was a good hard finish. Wilfs best two goals were against Wolves IMO and its just a coincedence. I still think his finishing is his weakest part of his game

Malarkey
28-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Just seen it for the first time, no need to have passed just lacked the finish. 9 times out of 10 that would have gone in.

Woosie
28-11-2012, 02:59 PM
??

You just said it was,without seeing it I've know idea

I was asking (anyone, not specifically you) whether a player not having the ball under control still constituted a clear goalscoring opportunity. Not whether Wilf had the ball under control or not.

Incidentally, a couple of Hull fans think Brady won the ball.

Going back to the topic, I honestly don't think Wilf saw Wilbraham.

rhynoeagle
28-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Yes, both goals were great finishes. But 1 in 10 would suggest he hasn't yet got the goal scoring edge.

This will no doubt be twisted, as Wilf is class, and without him we wouldn't score as much. Goals will come with age, but that's what he's missing at the moment!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
28-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes, he should have squared it and yes Hull should have been out of sight. As others have said chances are missed every match at this level.

But I do think that Wilf's finishing and final ball is still something he needs to improve to really kick on. I'm not convinced he is ready for the Premier League yet and hopefully he will continue to do his learning with us because his positives greatly outweigh the poor decisions/finishes that he still has.

Groinstrain
28-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, he should have squared it and yes Hull should have been out of sight. As others have said chances are missed every match at this level.

But I do think that Wilf's finishing and final ball is still something he needs to improve to really kick on. I'm not convinced he is ready for the Premier League yet and hopefully he will continue to do his learning with us because his positives greatly outweigh the poor decisions/finishes that he still has.

Couldn't agree more.....as much as I love watching his amazing skills and trickery which gets us out of our seats almost every game; until he can execute the simple stuff he won't make it as a decent prem/ international player. Worringly I'm not sure you can coach a player to have the peripheral picture in your mind of what's going on around you.......could be wrong but think you've either got it or you haven't.......time will tell with Wilf I guess.

palace nutter
28-11-2012, 04:39 PM
-Vj3Ab7Kjho

Pub Idol
28-11-2012, 04:49 PM

He can finish brilliantly but often doesnt - He also makes some poor choices at times but this is definately improving - These are things that when the penny drops or click in to place he is good enough for the very top. Currently I think he still trying to get there but some seem to think he is already there. Matter of opinion.

Benzhiyi
28-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Mega-piggy, as we say in five-a-side.

ANTEAGLE
28-11-2012, 05:28 PM
For a while I have thought that Wilf reminds me of when Ronaldo first came over to Utd. He was full of tricks but didnt have the best finishing. I've had a quick look at their records up to them being 20 and they are similar (Obviously Ronaldo scored in the Prem vs Wilf in the Champ).

Ronaldo 121 games 20 goals ratio 0.16 goals per game
Wilf 113 games 14 goals ratio 0.12 goals per game

It is interesting to note that in his first 3 seasons Ronaldo scored increasing amounts of goals from 6 to 9 and then 12.

Wilf has gone from 1 to 9 and already has 4 this season. I think 12 is a realistic target for this season.

It wasn't until the following year when Ronaldo was 21, that he broke the 20 goal a season mark with 23.

I think Wilf keeps getting labelled with poor finishing but if Wilf continues to develop the way he is and follows a similar pattern to Ronaldo, then next season, Wilf could well be hitting the 20 goal a season mark (hopefully with us in the Premiership).

maestro
29-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Just seen the highlights, cant believe he didnt square it!! wilb was right next to him it was obvious!

see here

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,23762_8292959,00.html

Andy in Rome
29-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Just watched that Skysports highlight clip... is anyone else getting REALLY fed up with the fact that it now seems to be compulsory for all reporters to make a comment on whether Palace will cash in on/manage to hold on to Zaha in January...? Even after CPFC2010 have made countless statements to the effect that he's not for sale right now?

It's the same sloppy journalism that had us branded as "cash-strapped Palace" until earlier in the season.

Drives me nuts, it does....

Malarkey
29-11-2012, 09:50 AM
It's Wilf, he doesn't do the easy thing.

Nofishtoday
29-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Just seen the highlights, cant believe he didnt square it!! wilb was right next to him it was obvious!

see here

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,23762_8292959,00.html

Saw it as well, but as another poster said i reckon 1 of the 3 defenders might just have got a block in on Wilbraham but its mpossible to be sure.
But i am sure that it was a good point earned.

Super-Ste-Cious
29-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes he should have. No question about it.

Jordan's Jacket
29-11-2012, 10:42 AM
But would have any other player engineered the opening int he first place? No. Case closed

Windsor_Eagle
29-11-2012, 11:23 AM
And so the benefit of a 'flawless hindsight' kicks in again.

What if he squared it and the defender got a block in? Everyone would be screaming that he should have taken a shot as he worked the opening etc and then didn't get the shot away.

Given where he was, the fact he'd created it from nothing and was in full momentum of the movement I think not only was he perfectly entitled to shoot, but it also was the logical decision to take at that split-second.

He missed. It cost us (what would have been an undeserved) 2 points and Wilf held his head in his hands afterwards - but that doesn't mean he got the decision wrong. It was a bloody good bit of keeping for a keeper that didn't have a lot to do in the game. His concentration levels were excellent and sometimes you just have to say 'well played'.

The Gerry Queen
29-11-2012, 11:37 AM
And so the benefit of a 'flawless hindsight' kicks in again.

What if he squared it and the defender got a block in? Everyone would be screaming that he should have taken a shot as he worked the opening etc and then didn't get the shot away.

Given where he was, the fact he'd created it from nothing and was in full momentum of the movement I think not only was he perfectly entitled to shoot, but it also was the logical decision to take at that split-second.

He missed. It cost us (what would have been an undeserved) 2 points and Wilf held his head in his hands afterwards - but that doesn't mean he got the decision wrong. It was a bloody good bit of keeping for a keeper that didn't have a lot to do in the game. His concentration levels were excellent and sometimes you just have to say 'well played'.

Stockdale saved it rather than Wilfried missing it. Stockdale had a lot to do in the final 20 minutes and was clearly worried and going nuts with his defence on occasions. He could see it coming. I really think that if Wilbraham had started or come on at half time we actually would have won the game. He made our system work again and made space for Zaha.
As an aside, it was also very interesting to see how a lot of Hull players tired badly in the final quarter of the game. Three of them had covered half the pitch by then operating their 'contain Zaha' tactic but it clearly knackered them. Imagine the advantage we would have had if Brady had been rightly red carded and they had played with 10 fro the final quarter. Bruce had already committed his three subs, all forwards, and their back line and defence would have wilted badly and given Zaha & co even more time and space.

Gark Moldberg
29-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Do we always make the right decisions?
(Which player could have gone for it himself late on at Peterborough, having run the length of the pitch, but instead passed to the unmarked KG?)

Windsor_Eagle
29-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Stockdale saved it rather than Wilfried missing it. Stockdale had a lot to do in the final 20 minutes and was clearly worried and going nuts with his defence on occasions. He could see it coming. I really think that if Wilbraham had started or come on at half time we actually would have won the game. He made our system work again and made space for Zaha.
As an aside, it was also very interesting to see how a lot of Hull players tired badly in the final quarter of the game. Three of them had covered half the pitch by then operating their 'contain Zaha' tactic but it clearly knackered them. Imagine the advantage we would have had if Brady had been rightly red carded and they had played with 10 fro the final quarter. Bruce had already committed his three subs, all forwards, and their back line and defence would have wilted badly and given Zaha & co even more time and space.

Good assessment :p

I think that game taught Ollie that we are at our best when we have a target-man style forward who can hold up the ball, win it in the air and bring other in to play. I won't knock Easter as he has scored a few important goals for us and has usually put a shift in. He isn't really going to work in our formation and I feel that his days at Palace probably are numbered. Wilbs and Murray are our two and a good lone striker could be a very important purchase or loan in January to maintain a push at promotion.

I'm looking forward to Muzzah lining up against the Weeds on Sat and hopefully we'll see Moritz and Williams in contention too sooner rather than later. It'll make all the difference.

sydnsteve
29-11-2012, 11:49 AM
U think if you were a Hull fan you'd be thinking how come we missed 2 open goals!

moosey
29-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I was stood behind the goal. I must confess that I didn't even see Wilbraham; my eyes were entirely on Wilf, willing him to pull the trigger and the net to bulge a moment later.

Can't blame Wilf for having a crack when he got the chance, and it needed a decent save to prevent us stealing 3 undeserved points.

Benzhiyi
29-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes he should have. No question about it.

Agreed.

Had it been Easter, I suggest some of the replies on this thread would read very differently.

Dedders
29-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Agreed.

Had it been Easter, I suggest some of the replies on this thread would read very differently.

True but if Easter was regularly beating men like that I don't replies on this thread would be that different

Malarkey
29-11-2012, 01:02 PM
oh good the title has been corrected

The Gerry Queen
29-11-2012, 01:08 PM
U think if you were a Hull fan you'd be thinking how come we missed 2 open goals!
We could only play as well as we could against the eleven picked to play against us.
We have a good record at he KC stadium. Won 2, drawn 3 and lost just 1. We have only conceded one goal there in the last 3 games. After all the chances they created in the first half they must have been beside themselves that they failed to score even one on Tuesday. They can't score for toffees at home and it just goes to prove that even if you splash the cash you don't get success guarenteed. They had 4 forwards on for the final 20 minutes .Prostwich and Aaron McClean cost them 4m plus just between them. On the other hand we singned Glenn Murray on a free transfer and he's scored 15 in 16 games. If Glenn had played I'm sure we'd have won :)

rainbow_child
29-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Should of squared it, drop him for 6 games, better still sell him in Jan... He's 20 years old FFS give the kid a break!!

glaziers fan
29-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Shouldn't have squared it. Zaha needs to score goals, not because he is selfish but because it will be beneficial to his confidence (and enable him to get more). In the short run it was the wrong decision. In the long run it was the correct decision.

Malarkey
29-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Shouldn't have squared it. Zaha needs to score goals, not because he is selfish but because it will be beneficial to his confidence (and enable him to get more). In the short run it was the wrong decision. In the long run it was the correct decision.
Agreed. After he missed you could say he should have squared it, but it was a one on one and he could have quite easily scored it.

dannyturner
29-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm usually very observant about these things and haven't watched the TV highlights. I was there on the night and this happened very quickly. I didn't think Wilf should have squared it at the time, and don't now. He could have tried to dink it, but as I remember it was a good save from Stockdale who is a mountain of a keeper. I think it caught his hip - the ball went out for a throw. Another keeper would have watched it arrow into the far top corner.

Zohar Returns
29-11-2012, 02:20 PM
What a fantasic peice of skill to create the opening in the first place.

FourtyTwo
29-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm usually very observant about these things and haven't watched the TV highlights. I was there on the night and this happened very quickly. I didn't think Wilf should have squared it at the time, and don't now. He could have tried to dink it, but as I remember it was a good save from Stockdale who is a mountain of a keeper. I think it caught his hip - the ball went out for a throw. Another keeper would have watched it arrow into the far top corner.
Exactly how I remembered it on the night - watching it back on the replay, I'm amazed we didn't see Wilbraham in the middle. Just goes to show how mesmerising Wilf is when in full flow ;)

GreatGonzo
29-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Up the Palace!!!!

He should always square it if a teammate is in a better position to score.

I said that against Ipswich, would Zaha have squared the ball as Parr did for number 5 or gone for goal?

He is not perfect and is still only 70% the player he could become but it is elements like this that will make him better and better and he is improving.

glaziers fan
29-11-2012, 05:48 PM
He should always square it if a teammate is in a better position to score.

I said that against Ipswich, would Zaha have squared the ball as Parr did for number 5 or gone for goal?

He is not perfect and is still only 70% the player he could become but it is elements like this that will make him better and better and he is improving.

I said this at Posh for our 2nd when he should have squared to KG... oh ;)

I agree he's not perfect. He will get there. I can guarantee all of you he is analysing this moment of decision himself and critically assessing what he should have done. That's cos he's class.

Mods, please can you move this thread to the Zaha forum? Cheers :p

Epping-eagle
30-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Hindsight always says he should of squared it as soon as the keeper started out at him, as wilb had a free net to tap it into.

How ever hindsight is a wonderful thing and no doubt he would of sat down during the week looked it over and probably kicked himself for not using him.

No doubt if the same thing happens against Brighton he will do exactly the same thing and score though . . . .

dan27
30-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Just seen it. Wilbraham just stands there and doesn't appear to shout for the pass, he certainly doesn't gesticulate that he wants that ball and I think he could have done more to alert Wilf to his being in a far better position.