PDA

View Full Version : Away Team Coach Crowding

MrImpossible
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
After the match yesterday there was a real problem with crowding where the away team coach was parked, did anyone have an idea what it was (besides the obvious- lots of people) which caused this to be such an issue?

The stewards seemed to have set up the barriers about 5 yards further away from the team coach than usual and that restricted the space for people to walk through what is already a bottleneck after most games let alone with 5k extra in the ground.

It was pretty uncomfortable and not impossible to imagine someone tripping up or falling over in the middle of it. Was there something going wrong at that part of the ground yesterday or is this a common thing when we sell out the ground? I didn't used to walk past the away coach on my way home so never experienced it when we were getting big crowds a few seasons back.

Pistol Knight
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I was surprised the team coach was parked there after the game, quite a few times this season the away team coach has been parked in the car park to allow people to leave quicker, Im sure the Weed wanted away sharpish, but they could have been held back as long as their fans :D

MrImpossible
02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I had thought that as well. The coach was never going to leave until the crowd had cleared anyway so why leave it parked that close to the stadium and not move it elsewhere to help crowds clear?

In the midst of everyone being tightly packed in the announcer said over the PA that fans should 'Move away from the away team coach'- I wasn't sure whether to laugh or shout!

BlazeRIP
02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Had this vs Cardiff cup game ,very crowded indeed

swirly007
02-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I had thought that as well. The coach was never going to leave until the crowd had cleared anyway so why leave it parked that close to the stadium and not move it elsewhere to help crowds clear?

In the midst of everyone being tightly packed in the announcer said over the PA that fans should 'Move away from the away team coach'- I wasn't sure whether to laugh or shout!

I heard that announcement too, it was really odd, think it was just a bit of a bottleneck. Enjoyed the people on the coach's reactions (there were only a handful, not players so maybe directors or VIPs) to the chants! :p

cpfcfly
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Caused by people standing by the coach waiting to taunt the Brighton team and coaching staff.

Enfield eagle
02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Caused by people standing by the coach waiting to taunt the Brighton team and coaching staff.

With respect to the above poster, thats just wrong. I spent 10 minutes to get from exit 12, past the coach and upto the gates on the holmesdale. Problem was caused by the extra numbers in general going past the coach in both directions cancelling out the sspace in front of them. My misses got very frightend by the constant pushing around and it was luck that nothing serious happen.

I'm sure the clubs stadium safety officer was part of the meeting pre match with police. Guess he failed to see the scenario of fans who normally go from the holmesdale / aw down park rd, having to go past the main stand instead. Next time i expect to see this area one way only out of the gates. Others will have to down to the clifton arms and turn right. Do your job properly man.

jamie12
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Plus the fact they had the engine running so a lot of shit coming out the exhaust, saw one young lad struggling to breathe!

cpfcfly
02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
With respect to the above poster, thats just wrong. I spent 10 minutes to get from exit 12, past the coach and upto the gates on the holmesdale. Problem was caused by the extra numbers in general going past the coach in both directions cancelling out the sspace in front of them. My misses got very frightend by the constant pushing around and it was luck that nothing serious happen.

I'm sure the clubs stadium safety officer was part of the meeting pre match with police. Guess he failed to see the scenario of fans who normally go from the holmesdale / aw down park rd, having to go past the main stand instead. Next time i expect to see this area one way only out of the gates. Others will have to down to the clifton arms and turn right. Do your job properly man.
So the w*nker gestures, the chanting and the massive crowd was due to volume of people? I came out of exit 13 and that's what I saw. Tens of people waiting outside the stadium by the club buses.

MrImpossible
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
I have to agree with Enfield Eagle- I didnt see anyone hanging around trying to chant at the coach causing the over-crowding. That isn't to say there weren't people in the area doing just that; But it wasn't where the problem was. I didn't want to be melodramatic when I posted this because I didn't want to look like I was being critical for the sake of it- but something could have gone wrong there yesterday, frustration was building, people were pushing both directions and for about 30 seconds the crowding became very tight and I did suddenly worry that if one person went down that it might become quite nasty.

I also noticed the exhaust causing people problems, it really was thick smoke- felt a bit irritated that the driver clearly placed the need to get the air conditioning fired up above the welfare of supporters trying to get past.

Enfield eagle
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
We all see the same things differently, be it people standing around the coach to jeer or because they couldn't move and started chanting. Nice to hear the eeaaagles chant again.

Bottom line is the congestion shouldn't be happening and its worrying to read reports of it occurring before after a big game last season and nothing has been done to stop it happening again.

La Bombonera
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
To be fair the crowd dispersed pretty quickly - probably much to do with the coach's exhaust fumes (did it have a manual choke or something?). Was funny though to see the door to players area open and then promptly shut several times over as the BHA officials contemplated whether it was safe to come out :p

pallet
03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I left the ground about 5.30pm and the coach was still there.

kevb
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
To me it was just down to sheer numbers of people because Park Road was closed.

I gave up on trying to leave by that gate (was aiming for Selhurst Station) - just left via the Whitehorse Lane and went to Thornton Heath instead.