PDA

View Full Version : Andre Moritz - Fluminese Cult Hero

IpswichEagle
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I work with clients and our company offices in Latin America and the Caribbean and part of job is entertaining them when they visit London. When it comes to football, Palace have been a notoriously hard sell to visitors, and i'm usually drafted in to take them to Arsenal (quite a lot), Chelsea (sometimes) or even, depressingly, West Ham.

On Saturday, i'm bringing a CEO from our office in Rio, Brazil to Selhurst for the first time. He's been to every ground in London (even Millwall! :veryangry ) apart from ours and he's very excited. He is a huge football fan and has followed Fluminense (Rio's biggest team, who play in the famous Maracana stadium) since he was a boy. It wasn't until i was chatting to him yesterday about our team that his face lit up... when i mentioned our very own Andre Moritz.

It seems Mr Moritz is a bit of a cult hero for Fluminense fans (estimated at around 5m people). He may have only ever played 4 matches, but in 2006 he scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory which effectively kept Flu in the top division. This goal effectively kick-started a resurgence for Fluminense, resulting in a Copa do Brasil win in 2007 (Moritz in the squad) and progression to winning the Brazilian Championship in 2010 and 2012 (just a month ago). Instant legendary status!

Apparently, Moritz is still fondly remembered by Flu fans and many keep an eye out for what he is up to. The chap i'm taking to the Blackpool game mentioned that there have been quite a few articles in the Rio-centric Brazilian sports press recently after his goals against Ipswich, Posh and Derby.

For anyone who us interested, there is a recent interview with him here -

http://www.futnet.com.br/futebol/noticias/?254311-exclusivo-andre-moritz-relembra-gol-salvador-pelo-flu-em-2006-e-projeta-sucesso-na-premier-league

Cut > Paste > Google translate - is your (amusing) friend if you don't have GCSE Portugese....

http://translate.google.com/#pt/en/

Just thought it was interesting that we have someone who has gone down in the folklore of one of the biggest clubs in the world mainly coming off the bench...!

*** If a mod could correct the 'Fluminense' spelling mistake in the title that would be great!

hull eagle
07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
That's what you get with quality

BringBackSasa
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Google translate FTW.

FN: Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you started your career in soccer, right?

FN: English football has very unique characteristics, such as the attack on the flanks and intense staining in midfield.

AM: Adapting to football was fast because I played my last five years in Turkey doing a function often used here in England, as a playmaker, a shipowner.

IpswichEagle
07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Google translate FTW.

FN: Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you started your career in soccer, right?

FN: English football has very unique characteristics, such as the attack on the flanks and intense staining in midfield.

AM: Adapting to football was fast because I played my last five years in Turkey doing a function often used here in England, as a playmaker, a shipowner.

I genuinely love it

WorthingEagle
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Google translate FTW.

We've been crying out for a midfield shipowner since Kirovski left.

Ninjas Headband
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... If I understand one of his answers Moritz seem's to spend a lot of time using the phone on his yacht.

AM: Adapting to football was fast because I played my last five years in Turkey making a function often used here in England, as a playmaker, a shipowner. Actually here is a lot of tactics, many dialing and does not have much space to play, but the coach gives me total freedom to try all the time and always risking a lot, which has been working.

cpfc4evandeva
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I think he's the man to steer us to the premier league...

GUCCI Eagle
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Full steam ahead

JDawg
07-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Well this thread capsized fairly early on.

Ninjas Headband
07-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Let's hope he's not for sail during the January transfer window.

Nofishtoday
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
i doubt he'll ever be 2 sheets to the wind anytime he plays. i might be though.

BBK
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Hopefully he can map the way to the Premier League treasure chest.

ianace
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
all aboard the good ship Moritz!

The Addonians
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I like the cut of his jib, a potential captain in the making.

Tickle89
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Lets hope he propels us up the league...

Nofishtoday
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
If i could pier into the future i'de like to see Moritz as a premiership footballer with Palace. Along with Mile Jetskinak.

dannyturner
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Hello Sailor - you're a lovely young man........I'll get my coat

IpswichEagle
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm hoping he is Titanic on Saturday. The Blackpool defenders will want to give him a wide berth.

*** Armador (shipowner) - it's a Brazilian term that means deep lying playmaker. Much like we call players midfield 'generals' or 'sweepers'.

ugly and fat
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
check ur pm's

Jasper
07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I hear Andre Marriner is the ref tomorrow.

Celestial Empire
07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I work with clients and our company offices in Latin America and the Caribbean and part of job is entertaining them when they visit London. When it comes to football, Palace have been a notoriously hard sell to visitors, and i'm usually drafted in to take them to Arsenal (quite a lot), Chelsea (sometimes) or even, depressingly, West Ham.

On Saturday, i'm bringing a CEO from our office in Rio, Brazil to Selhurst for the first time. He's been to every ground in London (even Millwall! :veryangry ) apart from ours and he's very excited. He is a huge football fan and has followed Fluminense (Rio's biggest team, who play in the famous Maracana stadium) since he was a boy. It wasn't until i was chatting to him yesterday about our team that his face lit up... when i mentioned our very own Andre Moritz.
Etc Etc

Well done, but (word to the wise ;) ), Flu are the middle-class club in Rio (sort of Spurs), although pretty well endowed.
Their deadly rivals Flamengo (the club of the 'povao' - the poor), are easily the biggest club, followed by Vasco da Gama (originally the Portuguese immigrants club), (Fluminense and Botafogo traditionally fight it out for third). Although the Flu-Fla game is the "big one" (much bigger than Arse-Spurs).
America are the other "big" club, everybody's second team - kinda like Fulham.

Good interview actually, says Holloway gives him lots of freedom to take risks, that we have lots of excellent players and that the best of Andre Moritz is yet to come !:)

CT_Palace
07-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I was in Brazil a few weeks ago and out with 2 Brazilian mates in Santos. Both are Santos season ticket holders and know their football. Imagine my disappointment that niether of them knew anything about Moritz.
I have since sent them the Youtube clips of his goals and they both now understand what Get Moritz out for the lads means :D