PDA

View Full Version : Holloway to take time with Palace appointments - Chief Scout follows Dougie

cdm61
11-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Holloway to take time with Palace appointments http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/

CRYSTAL Palace boss Ian Holloway is set to take his time before choosing how to replace development coach Jamie Fullarton and chief scout David Sclanders.

Holloway said: I did ask Jamie to stay but he couldnt do it. But it is onwards and upwards. I dont think the clubs structure will suffer. Im going to probably promote from within. Id rather take my time and see what I have already got.

It could have been worse. Dougie wanted another member of staff - Scott Guyett [fitness coach] - but he chose to stay.

"The important thing is the squad. We've got Damien Delaney, who could have gone. I'm sure they would have wanted to take him to Bolton but we have sorted that one out already."

Heb 7:4
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
We need a decent scout

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Freedman must be feeling very insecure and vulnerable. I know it's not unusual for managers to take some of their staff with them, when they move on; but this is ridiculous.

If he had his way, we'd be in another Wimbledon situation in the making, with the establishment of Notlob Palace, in the North West.

As someone said on another thread, when will he be making a bid for the little old lady who sells the red and blue rasta hats outside the co-op in South Norwood?

CPFC_DAVE77
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think what DF is doing is that odd, so far how many people have gone with him? Three?

Harry Holmesdale
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
How many does Harry Redknapp take around everywhere?

chav_hater
11-12-2012, 11:28 AM
And how many did Hughes take to QPR when he was appointed?

kolinkins
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Not unusual for managers to take staff with them

Though managers who have connection with club they left normally leave it be for the rest of the season.

Not sure scout a big issue (scouting network has been a mess, most the gems signed on recommendations [and Freedman himself can spot a player]). Nor is Fullerton a big loss; not been here long enough to impact.

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
How many does Harry Redknapp take around everywhere?

Some of those, like Kevin Bond, know quite a bit about his previous "practices". Just keeping them close to him, in case of any unfortuante enquiries about past experiences

Billyd
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM

One or two yes, but Dougie has taken several now. CPFC2010 must be so pissed off and biting their lips....

Thanet Eagle
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM
They will be wishing they stayed when the dour Scotsman fails to get Bolton promoted and the Palace win promotion.

T.C.
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Not sure scout a big issue (scouting network has been a mess, most the gems signed on recommendations [and Freedman himself can spot a player]).
Do we know this?

I would have thought that the scout would be integral in unearthing our nuggets.

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Freedman, Lawrence, Fleming, Lee Turner, Jamie Fullerton.

All must be displacing Coyle appointees; how much is the Freedman gamble costing Notlob in compensation (in and out)?

And how many of the displaced are adding to North West's unemployment totals?

Madness

Davy64
11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
He'll be after the HF next! .... i'm sure he would if he could

N Herts Eagle
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I have heard a strong rumour that Dougie is contemplating a move to sign Harry Monk on three year deal so that he knows which transfer rumours are true and which ones are bullshit in January.

Rastafari
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm glad our fitness coach decided to stay.

Pub Idol
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
We have pretty strong management team with Holloway and Millen. Millen was a manager at championship level and a Palace man to boot. George Wood also bring a lot of experience. You just wonder if he (Freedman) goes after one our players in Jan how that will go down. If he unsettles KG or Jedi for example and our form goes out of the window.... He will upset a lot of people.

dim
11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Nugent on standby?

The Gerry Queen
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
We have pretty strong management team with Holloway and Millen. Millen was a manager at championship level and a Palace man to boot. George Wood also bring a lot of experience. You just wonder if he (Freedman) goes after one our players in Jan how that will go down. If he unsettles KG or Jedi for example and our form goes out of the window.... He will upset a lot of people.

If he does he will be even more exposed to a potentially hostile reception when Bolton come to Selhurst on January 19th. That is going to be one tough match. Good job for KG that he'll probably be in Africa then.

Friskey
11-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think what DF is doing is that odd, so far how many people have gone with him? Three?

Five at least.

LL, Curtis, Fullarton, the scout, the GK coach. He also wanted the fitness coach.

It's more than a little bit silly.

sheepy
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
From all accounts Fullarton is no great loss.

Eagle's Away
11-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Bolton think they are a Premiership club and expect promotion. How long will they give Mr Freeedman before he is replaced. I am very doubtful Bolton are good enough to go up this season. However at the end of the season I think Mr Freedman will probably avoid the sack in a supreme show of faith by Mr Gartside. His problem will be about this time next year when Bolton, still in the Championship, will possibly be floundering mid table. Will Mr Gartside relieve Mr Freedman of his duties? The shame of it that the 5 coaches etc Mr Freedman has taken will probably also lose their jobs too. It's a funny old game.

Ard
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
I have heard a strong rumour that Dougie is contemplating a move to sign Harry Monk on three year deal so that he knows which transfer rumours are true and which ones are bullshit in January.

That actually sounds as plausible as a Harry Monk rumour

Ardent Eagle Forever
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
What I find amazing is the number of people who followed Dougie to a club that is floundering below us, that is unlikely to get promoted this season and that has very well reported debts of astonomical proportions.

Who in their right mind would upsticks to go to a club like this when the likelihood is that they will be looking for work within a year.

They've all left a relatively stable job, with a management that do not expect great things from the club whilst they are stabilising the clubs financial position. Play-offs and promotion this year would be a bonus, but I guess that if you said to the board at the start of the season that Palace would finish 7th, they would have been happy to take that as it would have shown a vast improvement from last year.

These people would have been unlikely to lose their jobs over the coming months even if we do miss out on promotion.

At Bolton, I see it as a very great risk. I'm not sure if I'd been with Dougie's team that I would have moved with him. I doubt it.

This is IMHO, such as it is.

Harry Holmesdale
11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Lets be a little bit more objective here, Bolton are currently a bigger club than us and have more going for them overall

10 years in the Prem and a spanking new ground, things we can only dream of, take those tinted specs off people!

Man of Kent
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
What I find amazing is the number of people who followed Dougie to a club that is floundering below us, that is unlikely to get promoted this season and that has very well reported debts of astonomical proportions.

Who in their right mind would upsticks to go to a club like this when the likelihood is that they will be looking for work within a year.

They've all left a relatively stable job, with a management that do not expect great things from the club whilst they are stabilising the clubs financial position. Play-offs and promotion this year would be a bonus, but I guess that if you said to the board at the start of the season that Palace would finish 7th, they would have been happy to take that as it would have shown a vast improvement from last year.

These people would have been unlikely to lose their jobs over the coming months even if we do miss out on promotion.

At Bolton, I see it as a very great risk. I'm not sure if I'd been with Dougie's team that I would have moved with him. I doubt it.

Another 3 year odd contract on increased wages.
As a backroom staff, what real credance do you get for success or failure on the pitch? That's why so many tag along as a management team. Also a new manager does need some friendly faces around him. I keep hearing how unhappy Bolton fans are with DF's appointment, this must transfer to the Boardroom, and therefore down to the original staff, kit man etc. In that case the manager has no one to turn to, no confidant if you will, and acrimonious a departure as it was you can't blame Dougie for going for it, it saves time.

Look at Brian Clough's record without Peter Taylor for example.

NateEagle
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Agree with all saying it is a bigger risk for these guys to go to Bolton than staying at Palace. However, i must be the only person who thinks Dougie is going to do a good job there, rather than fail miserably and get fired soon, like most are suggesting.

Billyd
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Money. People dont feel the same way about Palace as we do im afraid....

Harry Holmesdale
11-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I am sure we have a worse record for hiring, firing and managers leaving than Bolton

The Gerry Queen
11-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Lets be a little bit more objective here, Bolton are currently a bigger club than us and have more going for them overall

10 years in the Prem and a spanking new ground, things we can only dream of, take those tinted specs off people!

They are also well below us this season and a millionaire's heartbeat away from having a 110m defecit called in.

Beanie
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM

How do the debts of over 100m fit in? Okay, they'll say, most to the owner, but they are still debts. Most of Portsmouth debts are to the (ex)owner. It's a very precarious position. Darlington's spanking new ground was nearly the cause of them going out of business and right now the Ricoh Arena is doing Coventry no favours. There are two sides to everything. Right now off the field I rather be us. IF we go up (still a big if - but it more likely than them making it) our finances will be considerably better than theirs.

StudentEagle
11-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Agree with all saying it is a bigger risk for these guys to go to Bolton than staying at Palace. However, i must be the only person who thinks Dougie is going to do a good job there, rather than fail miserably and get fired soon, like most are suggesting.

Well at the moment....

Pre-Dougie:

Played 12, won 4, drawn 3, lost 5. 15 points at 1.25 ppg.

Post-Dougie:

Played 9, won 2, drawn 5, lost 2. 11 points at 1.22 ppg.

That's perhaps a little unfair on Dougie, as it includes the Middlesborough game after he was appointed but before he was in charge, but it's not exactly a big turnaround.

Things could come good, but I wouldn't be overly confident if I was a Bolton fan.

Norwich_Eagle
11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Fans never wanted him there anyway, unfortunately money talks and he has written the book already.

Harry Holmesdale
11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
How do the debts of over 100m fit in? Okay, they'll say, most to the owner, but they are still debts. Most of Portsmouth debts are to the (ex)owner. It's a very precarious position. Darlington's spanking new ground was nearly the cause of them going out of business and right now the Ricoh Arena is doing Coventry no favours. There are two sides to everything. Right now off the field I rather be us. IF we go up (still a big if - but it more likely than them making it) our finances will be considerably better than theirs.

Not doubting any of that, but that probably doesnt affect Dougie's 500k per year (and no doubt those that followed are on more too) nor whatever budget he has been promised does it

Aren't Brighton, Middlesbro and many others in similar positions to Bolton? Fulham and Sunderland in the Prem? To name but a few

Indeed wont we be if we dont get promoted in the next few years?

Will Pep Guardiola say no to Chelsea cos of their debt to one man?

Winny
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
of those that freedman has poached, all of him were employed under his tenure at palace so its understandable somewhat, nice to see the fitness coach tip him 2 fingers though :hi:

also throw in the fact for fleming fullarton etc notlob is alot closer then home then selhurst and surronding areas it was almost a cert they'd follow

Gary Issott is the one that cannot be afforded to go

Aaroncpfc
11-12-2012, 02:39 PM
If he goes after one of our players in January then it's war.

Thanet Eagle
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Still angered by DF's lack of respect to Palace fans. He has a lot to learn. Anyway time to get over it.

jhc
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Gary Issott is the one that cannot be afforded to go

Don't think anyone will disagree with you there.:p

I don't have a problem with anyone else going as they were mostly Dougie appointments anyway. It is understandable that their loyalties lie with him so I think that's fair enough.
Gives IH a chance to bring in more of his own choice of backroom staff too.

At least they didn't all up-sticks on the same day as Dougie, so it has been a 'slowish' transition and allowed IH & KM to get their feet under the table so to speak.
I think the ones who have gone, have all been very professional about how they've dealt with the situation. I don't think we should in any way feel let down. These things happen in football.

Winny
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't think anyone will disagree with you there.:p

I don't have a problem with anyone else going as they were mostly Dougie appointments anyway. It is understandable that their loyalties lie with him so I think that's fair enough.
Gives IH a chance to bring in more of his own choice of backroom staff too.

At least they didn't all up-sticks on the same day as Dougie, so it has been a 'slowish' transition and allowed IH & KM to get their feet under the table so to speak.
I think the ones who have gone, have all been very professional about how they've dealt with the situation. I don't think we should in any way feel let down. These things happen in football.

lets hope this is the case in january and the grim sweaty dont come back and attempt to raid us for the players :veryangry

palaceboy1
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I have got over it, Freedmans a greedy tosser of the highest order good riddance to him and his gibberish press conferences.

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Gary Issott stepping up to take the U21s apparently. Not sure if this is good news?

Loyaleagle
11-12-2012, 03:08 PM

I agree with the majority of that. However, saying "if you'd given them that at the start of the season they would have taken it..." is frustrating. If you'd have offered me 21st at the start of the season i would have thought about taking it. The fact that we are now in the top 2, playing some of the best attacking football for 30 odd years, means that 7th would be a disappointment. We have a great chance this year.

I know this is slightly off topic

jhc
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
lets hope this is the case in january and the grim sweaty dont come back and attempt to raid us for the players :veryangry

I wouldn't be concerned about that.
In the position they are in, I'm sure Bolton will want to get some better players.
Contracts for 'backroom staff' will inevitably be very different from player's contracts.
Dougie may or may not want to get one or more of our players, but they are all under contract and I'm sure Ollie will only let go those players that who don't figure in his plans. I would think that excludes the 18 who are currently featuring in his matchday squad.
Can't see Bolton being an attractive destination for any of our players anyway.

Jordan's Jacket
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
We've got Ollie they've got Dougie. I think we know and the Bolton fans know who has come out of this better!

AJ
11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
My only concern is who is the first team coach? Millen is assistant manager and Ollie is manager, so, who is taking the day to day training?

jhc
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
My only concern is who is the first team coach? Millen is assistant manager and Ollie is manager, so, who is taking the day to day training?

Both of them.
Ollie did most of the coaching/training on a day-to-day basis when at Blackpool anyway.

alanlee11
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I echo a post above, I am a bit concerned about January, especially with the players was loyal too: Jedinak, Murray, Speroni

nomad
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Not such a legend after all then. I hope that Bolton are relegated and DF and the rest are sacked.

nomad
11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I think he could do a good job there too. What annoys me is that he is poaching staff under contract and will probably try and do the same with the players in January. I can't see me applauding him at the Bolton game.

brooklynlou
11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm glad our fitness coach decided to stay.

^^^ This ^^^

Our fitness has been one of the surprises of the season

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I echo a post above, I am a bit concerned about January, especially with the players was loyal too: Jedinak, Murray, Speroni

With Murray having his best season ever, Jedinak relishing his captains role and Speroni's interview about Dougie leaving saying he felt he'd been kicked in the balls - I don't think either will be leaving for Dougie any time soon.

Who Cares?
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Not sure scout a big issue (scouting network has been a mess, most the gems signed on recommendations [and Freedman himself can spot a player]).

Story on a Bolton website saying that our chief scout (David Sclanders who I have never heard of) has left and speculating that he is joining Bolton.

Martin H
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Crystal Palace chief scout leaves Selhurst Park, likely Bolton-bound is the latest headline.

So I make that 5 backroom staff that he has nicked from us. There is no need for this as we can't be the only club he can recruit from.

GO AWAY!

Sorry I think I am supposed to reference this came from the Lion of Vienna website http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2012/12/11/3754470/crystal-palace-chief-scout-leaves-selhurst-park-likely-bolton-wanderers-bound

Martin H
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Crystal Palace chief scout leaves Selhurst Park, likely Bolton-bound is the latest headline.

So I make that 5 backroom staff that he has nicked from us. There is no need for this as we can't be the only club he can recruit from.

GO AWAY!

I should add I didn't know who was Head Scout anyway - oops - but doesn't reduce my annoyance

Martin H
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Did Delaney sign his contract. I havent' seen any confirmation on the Palace site?

BBK
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
He signed a 1 1/2 extension.

The Gerry Queen
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Kember was the head of scouting till he fell out with Dougie in the summer so whoever this guy is, he can only have been with us since the end of last transfer window. No loss, move on.

GUCCI Eagle
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
My contract says that if I leave the company I can't poach any staff for 6 months. Why don't they have this in football?

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Given how Freedman played Murray last year, why would he ever dream of following him to Notlob?

Look at Notlob last Saturday, hanging oin to a 1-0, everybody back for 30 mins. Would you want that if yoiu were FFS?

Ollie plays him well and he scores when he wants

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Gary Issott stepping up to take the U21s apparently. Not sure if this is good news?

Everybody deserves promotion and a fresh challenge if they are a success at work. Hopefully he can extend his influenece and keep a watching eye on who is brought in for Academy job.

Alternative may be that GI moves on somewhere else for promotion/new opportunities.

Good luck to him and his continued influenece at the club

ForestGateEagle
11-12-2012, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=Martin H]

QUOTE]

This must be costing Notlob a fortune, in paying off Coyles men, paying off contractual issues with Palace to poach our staff. And will undoubtedly cost as much again, in a year or so, if the DF experiment does not work.

Just part of the madness of billy big bxllocks football teams

LLCOOLSTEVE
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Kember was the head of scouting till he fell out with Dougie in the summer so whoever this guy is, he can only have been with us since the end of last transfer window. No loss, move on.

Stop making shit up

917L
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Where did you get that from?

Billy Rhino
11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
What's this, he's now nicked our Chef?:confused:

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Where did you get that from?

https://twitter.com/mikesinnerton/status/278514340594860032

Mike Sinnerton
@mikesinnerton
Ian Holloway says (at the CPFC Business Club) it looks like Fullarton will leave on Sat & Gary Issott will step up to take the under 21s

croydonexile
11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I guess Mark Bright might take a greater role within our academy as he already works with them freeing Issott up to take full control of the development \ U21's ? As for a scout , ollie seems to have an eye for a player ( he got ince for a song and developed charlie adam) so guess he has a sout\ scouts in mind that he's worked with already...

Celestial Empire
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Week by week, Doug is revealing himself. He doesn't give a toss about this club, and seems happy to try to disrupt our season.
"In Doug we trust" eh ? wash your mouths out !:hmph:

alanlee11
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Week by week, Doug is revealing himself. He doesn't give a toss about this club, and seems happy to try to disrupt our season.
"In Doug we trust" eh ? wash your mouths out !:hmph:

Don't have a care left for the man, don't wish him success, the way he has handled things has undone all the good he did

The Gerry Queen
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Stop making shit up

Kember was heading up our scouting and left in the summer after a 'chat' with Dougie. Don't know what was said or happenedbetween them but Kember left. That much we all know and none of it was made up. Not shit really.

Gollum
11-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Sadly Dougie continues to exhibit a complete lack of class. He seems quite comfortable to tap up and chase all the backroom staff irrespective of the damage this could potentially inflict on his old club. There seems no doubt he will pitch for players as soon as he can....

917L
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Mike Sinnerton
@mikesinnerton
Ian Holloway says (at the CPFC Business Club) it looks like Fullarton will leave on Sat & Gary Issott will step up to take the under 21s

Thanks,

So Fullarton is still here at present

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Don't have a care left for the man, don't wish him success, the way he has handled things has undone all the good he did

This is how I feel.

When Dougie left I was livid. He'd lost his legend status overnight. Then Palace's continued success actually made me appreciate Dougie for what he'd done for the club. He'd changed our squad from relegation fodder to genuine promotion contenders - he'd got us in the gems that are Parr, Jedinak, Delaney, Bolasie, Moritz and of course Murray. I could excuse his leaving and put it down to the fact he was tempted by money and still may have some sort of genuine affection, or at least respect for Palace.

However, he's conducted his business since leaving in a terrible way. He's shown he has absolutely no respect for Palace, our players, our fans or our promotion campaign. I hope he gets the shit reception he deserves when he returns in January. I hope we absolute stuff Bolton and I hope that's the loss that puts them in the relegation zone for the rest of the season.

jobiinthelastmi
11-12-2012, 08:27 PM
So Freedman's still a cock....

never mind

Enfield eagle
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Breaking news

Dougie is after the guy with the musical shopping trolley who stands opposite Thornton Heath station, to play music during half time at the reebok.

Hands off our Selector.

croydonexile
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks,

So Fullarton is still here at present

His last involvement will be saturday

Sunny Fan
11-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Mike Sinnerton
@mikesinnerton
Might only be temporarily taking charge of U-21s while there's a vacancy, tricky to tell from that tweet.

NathanCPFCD
11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Might only be temporarily taking charge of U-21s while there's a vacancy, tricky to tell from that tweet.

He went on to say that he'd still be in charge of the academy set up as a whole.

Sunny Fan
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
He went on to say that he'd still be in charge of the academy set up as a whole.
Not a bad idea, particularly if Holloway's got faith that Gary's the man to implement Ian's ideal of a same-style-throughout-all-teams philosophy, as he says he wants.

Biggineagle
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
So go to a club that is 17th ish ?? gotta be money ??

Jordan's Jacket
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
The good thing is he no doubt will "poach" the utterly crap style of football he developed at Palace last season.

Pistol Knight
11-12-2012, 09:31 PM
This is how I feel.

When Dougie left I was livid. He'd lost his legend status overnight. Then Palace's continued success actually made me appreciate Dougie for what he'd done for the club. He'd changed our squad from relegation fodder to genuine promotion contenders - he'd got us in the gems that are Parr, Jedinak, Delaney, Bolasie, Moritz and of course Murray. I could excuse his leaving and put it down to the fact he was tempted by money and still may have some sort of genuine affection, or at least respect for Palace.

However, he's conducted his business since leaving in a terrible way. He's shown he has absolutely no respect for Palace, our players, our fans or our promotion campaign. I hope he gets the shit reception he deserves when he returns in January. I hope we absolute stuff Bolton and I hope that's the loss that puts them in the relegation zone for the rest of the season.

:p

Martin H
12-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I would be nervous if I was Bolton. Surely the signal here is that whatever he builds he tears down when he goes, leaving the club scrambling for staff. A lesson for all clubs considering the Doog as a manager. Got to be expensive for them at both ends of his spell surely.

NZsparky
12-12-2012, 02:04 AM
My contract says that if I leave the company I can't poach any staff for 6 months. Why don't they have this in football?
Scramble?

Madden
12-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Well at the moment....

Pre-Dougie:

Played 12, won 4, drawn 3, lost 5. 15 points at 1.25 ppg.

Post-Dougie:

Played 9, won 2, drawn, lost 2. 11 points at 1.22 ppg.

That's perhaps a little unfair on Dougie, as it includes the Middlesborough game after he was appointed but before he was in charge, but it's not exactly a big turnaround.

Things could come good, but I wouldn't be overly confident if I was a Bolton fan.

Bolton fans must be wondering if they should have got Mick McCarthy. His 13 points from 8 games (1.62ppg) is playoff form, from a team who were at the bottom when he arrived!
Freedman said that Bolton would finish "in the top 2 or 3" after our win there. It will be interesting to see what he says if that doesn't happen?

Sunny Fan
12-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Freedman said that Bolton would finish "in the top 2 or 3" after our win there. It will be interesting to see what he says if that doesn't happen?
"Once we made 14th we did what we had to to consolidate, but ended up getting dragged back down to 17th. You wouldn't understand."

chatham_eagle
12-12-2012, 04:53 AM
That first sentence should start with "Listen."

Jono14
12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Stop making shit up

Ask Dougie why he's being such a ****

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
12-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Football is just a business, like any other. We get a bit too wrapped up in the romantacism of things like loyalty and "legends".
We need the best manager available, with the best support he can be given. Seems that IH fits that bill and he's being entirely sensible/normal as a manager and picking the management team around him that he wants.
I am guessing here, but DF et al have been offered more money and a longer contract - well, I think we'd all take that offer.
January window; all players are available for sale, all the time - simple as. Say DF offers 3 million for FFS, we gain stability for the company and press on regardless. Put in to context, if FFS lost form or fitness we'd be in the same position but with less money.
I think the academy / youth set up is vital and stability needs to be retained there. We are a selling club of young talent - that is until we secure regular Champions League qualification, which can be merely a heartbeat away.

Harry Holmesdale
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
This possibly suits us

Holloway may have wanted to bring in his own people, this way we get money for those leaving, win win!

rhynoeagle
12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Why the wankers are following him is what I want to know! Why would anyone leave here in this form/set up?

Absolution
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
No big deal really is it? Largely were his appointments, if not all of them.

Issott obviously pre-dates Freedman by a good number of years and is far more important to the club than any we've lost. The fitness coach is probably fairly vital as well.

croydonexile
12-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The cheif scout may well be a loss, he has found (if it was him) a few gems..

gilesy14
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Wally Downes is available...might be wishful thinking though.

Pub Idol
12-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Wally Downes is available...might be wishful thinking though.

Holloway doesnt like him. Read his book.

Downes is a good coach but an arsehole.

Psychokiller
12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Holloway doesnt like him. Read his book.

Downes is a good coach but an arsehole.
Yeah, didn't he ask Holloway "what it's like dating a baldy girl?" when his wife was undergoing cancer treatment? Nasty little scumbag.

Thanet Eagle
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, didn't he ask Holloway "what it's like dating a baldy girl?" when his wife was undergoing cancer treatment? Nasty little scumbag.

Hope Holloway twated the fecker if that's true !

The Gerry Queen
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM

God that's about as low as anyone can get isn't it ? How did Steve Coppell put up with Downes for so long ?

Wycombe Eagle#2
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
God that's about as low as anyone can get isn't it ? How did Steve Coppell put up with Downes for so long ?
I've always wondered about this? Downes known to be one of the scummiest people around.

gilesy14
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM

What?! F*cking hell - I thought I was making a good suggestion when posting initially! What an arsehole - I couldn't have been more off the mark.

Sick Bucket
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Wow what a grade A ****

BBK
12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Has that scout only been here since the summer, when Kember left?

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2012/12/11/3754470/crystal-palace-chief-scout-leaves-selhurst-park-likely-bolton-wanderers-bound

I'm not sure why they've included Moses, Clyne, Watson in that paragraph that has nothing to do with the scout. lol

New LP
12-12-2012, 01:23 PM
We have scouted players excellently over the last few years, so this is a loss.

NathanCPFCD
12-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Kember was chief scout until recently?

The Gerry Queen
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Surely Kember was our head of scouting up to the end of the last transfer window ?

Kevlon
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Surely Kember was our head of scouting up to the end of the last transfer window ?

I met a drunk scout in the Jolly a while back and he laughed when I said Kember was the head scout. He said he was a glorified PE teacher.

He was drunk mind you.

Pub Idol
12-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Yep true about Wally Downes.

My theory on Coppell employing him is that being that he is himself a nice quiet guy he often employed gobby, narky types to coach and do the dirty work - Downes might be sod but he will organise and install aggression /fight etc etc Football is a tough world - Geoff Thomas said he received plenty of piss takings from those within the game when he announced he had cancer. He said that was just that way it was. But Downe's was an idiot - Read Warnock's book for more on him. That's 3 books I referenced there!

Dave
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
We need a decent scout

we should have first dibs on whoever is out there

selhurstparkflyer
12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Are all these folks desperate to get the sack or something?

switchboard
12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I would be nervous if I was Bolton. Surely the signal here is that whatever he builds he tears down when he goes, leaving the club scrambling for staff. A lesson for all clubs considering the Doog as a manager. Got to be expensive for them at both ends of his spell surely.

Every manager has there own backroom team, why is that so hard to grasp?

It is not a 'Doog' thing, it's a football thing.

glaziers fan
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
We need a decent scout

Steve Kember is a good judge of a player. AND we obviously have been tipped off about targets for Jan already. et's have a go at those as well. If we get them Dougie would probably buy them off us if they failed anyway, and we're a more attractive current proposition than Bolton so they should come here if we want them.

FORZA SELHURST
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
The cub is bigger than any individual.

gilesy14
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
The cub is bigger than any individual.

Other than Neil Shipperley.

Beanie
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Has that scout only been here since the summer, when Kember left?

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2012/12/11/3754470/crystal-palace-chief-scout-leaves-selhurst-park-likely-bolton-wanderers-bound

I'm not sure why they've included Moses, Clyne, Watson in that paragraph that has nothing to do with the scout. lol
Yes - the one before went to Portsmouth if I recall. I doubt we've actaully signed anybody this guy has "scouted" yet. I'd also have to wonder to what degree "Chief Scout" is an administrator, organising all the other scouts who do most of the work.

Martin H
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Every manager has there own backroom team, why is that so hard to grasp?

It is not a 'Doog' thing, it's a football thing.

I am blessed that you have allowed me to grasp this . . . . . .

But whereas it is perhaps common enough for the manager to consider taking his right hand man with him - I don't think it's at all common to take 5 or 6 members of the backroom staff with him - down to and including head scout and fitness coach (failed attempt).

Several clubs hold a firm line against this - as did Palace when Burley came in the club insisted he retain Freedman rather than bring in his own 'man'. And Blackpool have done the same I think? The great period in Liverpool's history was built upon the stable backroom and consistency of management from the boot-room upwards.

The game is different and continues to evolve but I would think there is still significant merit in that stability albeit this needs to flex to the new Managers approach.

Anyway - thank you, I have grasped your point - just don't agree with it and continue to think Doog is being an a*** and if I was Bolton I would lock them down in some way. In the meantime I would do the same at Palace once we replace the staff. Note - I don't think we have replaced anyone yet, other than the AM, have we and surely must be running thin?

917L
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM

He has only been here a few months, so its no huge loss

strolling bones
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
He has only been here a few months, so its no huge loss

This ^.. Plus the fact that holloway has some excellent connections.

passion4palace
12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Not unusual in many lines of business for a senior guy/girl to take a some trusted advisers on with them ... no-one is bigger than the club!

Crofty
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I think Dougie needs all the help he can get just now. Anyone else think he might come down with the Christmas lights come January?

Zohar Returns
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Dosent matter who the scout is. If we are still top two come January and Bolton are still 15 points off the auto promotion places then we are a far more attractive proposition to to a player with ambitions to play at the top level surely?

palaceboy1
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I think Dougie needs all the help he can get just now. Anyone else think he might come down with the Christmas lights come January?
Really hope so now think he is a complete scumbag who got lucky with a few players and an 8 match unbeaten run.

Typical Palace
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Really hope so now think he is a complete scumbag who got lucky with a few players and an 8 match unbeaten run.
That's garbage. If it was lucky how come we've continued it?

He did a very good job, got good fitness levels, organised a solid formation, bought excellent signings for good value fees.

You can dislike him for the way he left, that's your perogative, but to say he 'got lucky' is nonsense.

What players did he get lucky with? What makes it luck and not good management / skill?

Also there is more chance of Holloway being sacked than Freedman going by Jan. Do you think Bolton would be continually poaching even more and more Palace back room staff if there was even an iota of a chance they were going to sack DF?

Typical Palace
12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Dosent matter who the scout is. If we are still top two come January and Bolton are still 15 points off the auto promotion places then we are a far more attractive proposition to to a player with ambitions to play at the top level surely?
I agree. But the sad fact is Bolton are likely to be able to offer greater wages and a lot of footballers look at this rather than footballing matters. What you say should be right, but I'd be concerned it isn't.

AJ8
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Holloway picked up Charlie Adam for 500k and Tom Ince on a free with minimal compensation. We're in good hands.

The Gerry Queen
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I agree. But the sad fact is Bolton are likely to be able to offer greater wages and a lot of footballers look at this rather than footballing matters. What you say should be right, but I'd be concerned it isn't.

If Palace are as much of a better bet than Bolton for promotion this January as they are now, any player or agent will relaise that a club destined for the Premier League next season will be a better place to be than one languishing in the bottom half or worse. They may have cash and parachute payments but we could be up there offering first team football in the Premier League with all that entails.

AJ
12-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Does he look like this?

http://blog.nawbus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/beargryllschiefscout.jpg

dim
12-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Who knows? Dougie is probably still in the position at Bolton where the top man is entranced by his bullshit. He was probably told after their very late defeat at home to ipswich that when he was at palace he had an absolute guru who watched the opposition before each game to identify which of their players would be most likely to compromise the 1 nil lead in the last 10 minutes .

He will doubtless have blamed the current scout for missing this important detail of his Alamo plan for the game. Poor old Phil Gartside will have swallowed it all and immediately have made an offer to double the Palace lad's wages.

Next week, Phil will probably be hearing about the coach driver at Palace who had a special tape he put on when they were on the way back from Bristol...

I can just hear Dougie now: Much of my success of the past three months was built on a recognition of the importance of road safety in a footballing environment. If you want success,, Phil you have to have the right coach driver. Surely you can see that? Right? And I want him to park the coach out th front even when we are at home, intimidate the opposition from the off... in fact, we can start staying at the same hotels as them and beat them to the ground.

SilentAssassin
12-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Nothing to worry about, at the end of the day, its his men that are going with him. Hopefully Holloway makes the right appointments that can take us upwards just as Dougie did previously.

palaceboy1
12-12-2012, 09:34 PM
That's garbage. If it was lucky how come we've continued it?

He did a very good job, got good fitness levels, organised a solid formation, bought excellent signings for good value fees.

You can dislike him for the way he left, that's your perogative, but to say he 'got lucky' is nonsense.

What players did he get lucky with? What makes it luck and not good management / skill?

Also there is more chance of Holloway being sacked than Freedman going by Jan. Do you think Bolton would be continually poaching even more and more Palace back room staff if there was even an iota of a chance they were going to sack DF?
So he did a good job from Jan to Aug where we let in many goals in the last 10 mins of games which makes me wonder about good fitness levels , we were unable to recover from behind what makes you think its difficult to play 10 behind the ball that might be good organisation but awful tactics. I think he got lucky with the signing of Yannick and the forced change of formation to a more gung ho style of play and coming from 2 goals behind to win games requires some luck.
He has already reverted to type at Bolton with goals being conceded in the last few minutes of games.
Its a very fine line whether a team gels and play at the top of a league or end up fighting relegation and he is in that pivitol position at the moment win the next two games and play offs are a posibility lose and the fans will turn and sack will be very close.

Duffle Coat
12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Dougie is bang out of order. He is trying to plunder Palace from within. Total hash of things up in Bolton so he tries to work the oracle by displacing our entire set up. The scout (if it was JF) hasn't done a bad job considering the kind of players we have now. Dougie goes down in my estimation even more.

917L
12-12-2012, 11:08 PM
. The scout (if it was JF) hasn't done a bad job considering the kind of players we have now.

JF wasnt a scout

Billy Rhino
12-12-2012, 11:36 PM

I really have to question how Bolton are a bigger club than us. Yes they may average a few thousand more than us this season but that will all change if they dont get promoted, much as it did with us in 2005-06 (where we averaged about 2,000+ more than they are now) and yes they have the parachute payments to be able to attract Dougie etc. but once all this runs out they will be down with the rest of us, just like Blackburn are already.

When we built the Holmesdale stand we gained about 3,000 more regular fans than before, but did we become a bigger club because of the stand? Did Brighton become a big club just because they built a new stadium?
Charlton get bigger crowds than us but then they charge less to get in, does this make them bigger?

The sort of debt Bolton are running at is unsustainable, as is Blackburn's, and I find it difficult to comprehend how they are a bigger club than us simply because this season they have a few more bob to throw around than us.

bgh2172
13-12-2012, 01:02 AM
We need a decent scout

SP mentioned at a business lunch that he club have subscribed to a very good scouting system giving them access to a while host of talent via internet technology. Not saying a scout is surplus, but it certainly sounds although their work profile has changed. Can only assume Moritz must have been found this network.

chatham_eagle
13-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Moritz was found because Andy Gray is his agent, not because of YouTube videos.

W Malling Eagle
13-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Dougie is bang out of order. He is trying to plunder Palace from within. Total hash of things up in Bolton so he tries to work the oracle by displacing our entire set up. The scout (if it was JF) hasn't done a bad job considering the kind of players we have now. Dougie goes down in my estimation even more.

Have to agree. I am hating Dougie more all the time. He still hasn't really said anything positive about the Palace fans and just keeps picking at our club. I hope he has an extremely difficult time at Bolton and gets booed at Selhurst next month.

Jim Cannon
13-12-2012, 09:37 AM
We need a decent scout
Tell Kember all pubs are closed and job done

Jim Cannon
13-12-2012, 09:41 AM
I really have to question how Bolton are a bigger club than us.
The poster said currently though. That is based on them having 10 years in Premier League when we haven't. But in the great scheme of things they are not a very big club any more than we are. At the moment it's fair to say Swansea are bigger than us, when historically they have never been but at the moment they are way ahead.

rhiannapaul
13-12-2012, 08:36 PM
slap 25 million price on Nina she aint going to boltons

Beanie
13-12-2012, 08:55 PM
The scout (if it was JF) hasn't done a bad job considering the kind of players we have now. Dougie goes down in my estimation even more.
The scout joined either late in or after the last window when the previous one left. I very much doubt he scouted anybody in the current team.