PDA

View Full Version : Darren Ambrose

Kirby
13-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Hasn't been getting in Brum's starting line-up recently, but may feature off the bench on Saturday.

Will he get a good reception? I'd like to think so.

Never the most hardworking player, but he scored some huge goals for the club (Manchester United away, Sheffield Wednesday away, Brighton away and Villa at home instantly spring to mind).

Would be nice if he gets a few renditions of "Ohhh Darren Ambrose, oooh, ahh".

http://www.london24.com/polopoly_fs/spt_wk42_12_darren_ambrose_1_1658603!image/2990335995.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/2990335995.jpg

Elsewhere, Hayden Mullins is suspended.

rhynoeagle
13-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Always scored against Ipswich his ex club for us, let's hope he's just their bogey player.

Kirby
13-12-2012, 04:36 PM
On second thoughts, singing "I wanna knooooww, how you scored that goal" probably isn't the greatest idea.

Maybe he can save it for when they play Brighton.

CaterhamEagle
13-12-2012, 04:50 PM
If he plays he'll get a good reception, can't see it being any other way.

He can leave his shooting boots at home though please.

NathanCPFCD
13-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Hope he gets a very good reception. Was a great player for us at times and a player this club got a great deal for when he came and when he went.

Hope he gets a hero's reception and a round of "there's only one Darren Ambrose". Think "I wanna know how you scored that goal" is tempting fate just a little bit.

jamie12
13-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Not the best player, but capable of the moment of brilliance.

Won't be singing his name, but certainly a round of applause for what he did for us.

917L
13-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Why would he get anything other than a good reception?

Malarkey
13-12-2012, 04:58 PM
He should get a good reception, I will definitely clap him.

Oh south london
13-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Not the best player, but capable of the moment of brilliance.

Won't be singing his name, but certainly a round of applause for what he did for us.

Why? He scored the biggest goal in the clubs history at Sheff Wed. Deserves more than a bit of applause.

jamie12
13-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Why? He scored the biggest goal in the clubs history at Sheff Wed. Deserves more than a bit of applause.
Yes, but don't like the idea of singing an opposing players name...

sci-dogg
13-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Not many players in world football have a better hit that Darren. His strikes against Man U and Aston Villa were extraordinary. His assist against Cardiff in the last home game of last season was world class. Unfortunately, his lack of athleticism has caught up with him, and he now makes Owen Garvan look like Usain Bolt. This means he is a virtual passenger at this level, as teams do not give him the time on the ball that he requires.

He should rightly be considered as a legend at Palace in respect of his contribution to the club when we were at our lowest ebb. Without his goals and assists, we would have been relegated to League 1, and would not currently be sitting second in the Championship.

I was upset at the time, but last summer was the right time for him to move on in terms of the evolution of our side. The significance of his contribution however should not be forgotten or denigrated. Thanks Darren. You will be getting a big cheer from me.

Kirby
13-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Why would he get anything other than a good reception?

There's always a few! :rolleyes:

SeanPalace84
13-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Have a soft spot for Dazza. Always liked him at Palace even when underperforming. He had some great moments and hope the best for him. He can stay on the bench on Saturday though.

rhynoeagle
13-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I will clap him, he's almost a club legend in my eyes. Didn't leave for money, left because he was past his peak in a Palace shirt. Love the lad, doesn't mean I won't swear at him when he scores :D

Nelson Muntz
13-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I think you'll find that was Alan Pardew.

Slimbloke'H'
13-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Super Al didn't feature up at Hillsborough... :)

rhynoeagle
13-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I think you'll find that was Alan Pardew.

Freedman?

jobiinthelastmi
13-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Legend for me

Without his goals we might not have a club right now. Could have put in a transfer request when everyone was jumping ship for QPR too.

rhynoeagle
13-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Legend for me

Without his goals we might not have a club right now. Could have put in a transfer request when everyone was jumping ship for QPR too.

Cannot stress this enough.

whereEaglesFly
13-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Brilliant player for us when played in his right position, deserves a brilliant reception!

Cleon
13-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Elsewhere, Hayden Mullins is suspended.

I'm pretty sure that's good news.

On Ambrose, he was a great asset to our club, who stood up whenever required.

Both great Palace players.

doogleboy
13-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Of course he would get a good reception. Almost a legend for us. Ambrose has provided me with many more highs than any other palace player in the last 5/6 years.

carlito
13-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Of course he would get a good reception. Almost a legend for us. Ambrose has provided me with many more highs than any other palace player in the last 5/6 years.

Yup. Some of his goals were on a par with anybody in English football. Achieved god-like status for me when he scored at Hillsborough. :lux:

PHILCPFC
13-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Definitely a hero at this club for sure, we'll be telling our kids and grandchildren about the goals at wednesday, united and brighton and im sure that goal at Villa is fully embedded in the clubs history. A

PoliceBrutality
13-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Top Ex-Palace player, done a lot for the club in the past.
Scoring important goals against Sheffield Wednesday & smackers against teams such as Manchester United & Aston Villa!

I for one (if I was going) would give him a good reception, He deserves it! :p

Pint of Speroni
13-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Amazes me if he is viewed by any Palace fan as anything less than legend to be honest.

Scored the goal to keep us up back in 2010 and maybe keep us in existence, stuck with us when all else around him was failing that summer, and scored the goal that really put Palace back on the map as a strong force at Old Trafford.

A club legend as far as I'm concerned, anything less than a fantastic reception will be a great shame.

philsick
13-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Clapping him is one thing,but singing a song for him is moving into no no cringeville territory for me.

Nelson Muntz
13-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Freedman?
Who?

eagleforlife
13-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Amazes me if he is viewed by any Palace fan as anything less than legend to be honest.

Scored the goal to keep us up back in 2010 and maybe keep us in existence, stuck with us when all else around him was failing that summer, and scored the goal that really put Palace back on the map as a strong force at Old Trafford.

A club legend as far as I'm concerned, anything less than a fantastic reception will be a great shame.

^This

Jay_eagle
13-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree he deserves a great reception. Not only did he score some fantastic goals for us he played a major role in keep us in the championship when we were in administration. And that goal he scored at old trafford, WOW!

Dobbo
13-12-2012, 07:21 PM
"Ooooooh Darren Ambrose
I wanna know ooooh why you've stopped scoring goals"

carter
13-12-2012, 07:28 PM
How can he not get a good reception!? I was thinking the other day actually about what if Ambrose and Scannell was still in the squad with the signings we had made this season and how different it would be or would we still be doing as well as we are.

Woosie
13-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't say he is a legend, more a 'cult hero'.

Princess
13-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I still miss him :(

ElwissAtMemphis
13-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Will he get a good reception?

I'd bloody well hope so. Why on earth wouldn't he?

If he doesn't deserve one, who the hell does?

mrgins
13-12-2012, 07:54 PM
He wanted to stay at Palace. Certainly worthy of a round of applause

Oli28
13-12-2012, 07:57 PM
He'll get a big round of applause when he comes to Selhurst no doubt.

spuddy
13-12-2012, 08:05 PM
If he doesn't get a rousing reception from our fans both up there & when he comes to selhurst I would be ashamed to be a palace fan.

The man got 20 goals from midfield for us with countless assists & let's be honest single handedly kept this club in the championship & more than probably in business.

Some of you might think that's over the top but take a second to think where we might be without those 18 months of goals & assists he gave us & I think you will find it quite sobering.

I will never forget the contribution he gave our club.

The Gerry Queen
13-12-2012, 08:14 PM
If he doesn't get a rousing reception from our fans both up there & when he comes to selhurst I would be ashamed to be a palace fan.

The man got 20 goals from midfield for us with countless assists & let's be honest single handedly kept this club in the championship & more than probably in business.

Some of you might think that's over the top but take a second to think where we might be without those 18 months of goals & assists he gave us & I think you will find it quite sobering.

I will never forget the contribution he gave our club.

Absolutely. In an ideal world I wish he was still with us. Let's hope when he scores for them, and we know he will, it's just a consolation goal in the 90th minute and we can sing the 'I wanna know ,how did you score that goal ' :D

dim
13-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Great reception from the travelling hordes - feel pretty certain about that.

David Amsalem
13-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Everybody throws the word "legend" about on here far too often, but Ambrose is worthy of that status. In the last thirty years, I would struggle to name too many players who have a bigger impact on our club than Ambrose did.

Dave
13-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Not the best player

He frequently was the best player

Just a thought

rhiannapaul
13-12-2012, 08:28 PM
big respect for him a exciting player who when he got the ball 40 yards out you would rise out your seat because you never know with Darren great shot on him

Stavros 69
13-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I was gutted when he left.
I would go ape shit if anyone booed him. He kept us up almost single handed.
Happy to have him back at any time.

Pint of Speroni
13-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Just a thought
Haters gonna hate

Malarkey
13-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Does scoring that goal at Sheffield make him a legend? I mean, would CPFC2010 have bought us if we went down? Not sure.

Golf Boy
13-12-2012, 09:11 PM
He's going to come off the bench and score a screamer from 40 yards.

CrystalOrient
13-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Not many players in world football have a better hit that Darren. His strikes against Man U and Aston Villa were extraordinary. His assist against Cardiff in the last home game of last season was world class. Unfortunately, his lack of athleticism has caught up with him, and he now makes Owen Garvan look like Usain Bolt. This means he is a virtual passenger at this level, as teams do not give him the time on the ball that he requires.

He should rightly be considered as a legend at Palace in respect of his contribution to the club when we were at our lowest ebb. Without his goals and assists, we would have been relegated to League 1, and would not currently be sitting second in the Championship.

I was upset at the time, but last summer was the right time for him to move on in terms of the evolution of our side. The significance of his contribution however should not be forgotten or denigrated. Thanks Darren. You will be getting a big cheer from me.

Very good post! :p

CPFC-Mike
13-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Couldn't believe it when he left, scored so many vital goals, and deserves all the credit he gets.

Malarkey
13-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I was away from news for a while, and one day I was told that he had gone...was shocked, sad and confused

Justy C
13-12-2012, 09:34 PM
My sister in law has got to know the Ambrose's since their move to Brum, very nice couple and they speak very highly of Palace and really didn't want to leave. He was great for us, understand the reasons why he moved on but I hope we give him a good reception.

cpfcfly
13-12-2012, 09:35 PM
An extremely key player in our history.

The question is: what defines legendary status? :confused:
If it is making a considerable impact than Mr Ambrose should be considered a legend. Hillsborough, Old Trafford, Aston Villa.

Whatever happens, I will remember him fondly.

jamie12
13-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Who?
One of the best players this club has had in recent times, and someone whom, up until he left and suddenly became "judas", was seem as becoming a damn good manager.
Who also bought almost our entire current squad.

Yeah, him.

jamie12
13-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Just a thought
Dave in chatting shit shocker.

philsick
13-12-2012, 09:40 PM

Just a thought

He scored some amazing and very very important goals,but he rarely got MOM,as the rest of his game was nothing special and he was a passenger at times.He had an amazing season,but was poor last season and moved on at the right time.Bolasie is an absolutely superb replacement.We done good.

Dave
13-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Top goal scorer, top number of assists

Yeah, he was pretty key

jamie12
13-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Top goal scorer, top number of assists

Yeah, he was pretty key
In one season:S:

Mictor Voses
13-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Would get a cracking reception from me just as any player who played during the 2009-2010 season would. Where would be without his goals that season? Out of business for sure

Liam_Cpfc
13-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Lee Clark has confirmed Ambrose will be out of the game this weekend with a knee injury.

RuBuBu Blarbly
13-12-2012, 10:05 PM
If he got anything other than a good reception (like Hill and Derry vs QPR), I'd despair of some Palace fans.

Dave
13-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Lee Clark has confirmed Ambrose will be out of the game this weekend with a knee injury.
That's a shame, I'm sure he would have enjoyed it

Ambrose is an Eagle

foxinthebox
13-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Legend. More so than anyone in the last ten years at the club in my eyes, speroni n aj up there with him.

Of course had his faults, but all players in the championship do, hence they are there and not elsewhere.

Legendary status isn't based on ability alone

Bognor Eagle
13-12-2012, 10:44 PM
A maverick of our club, I will always be thankful to Ambrose, he is in my eyes one that looked after our club when other jumped ship !!

Kirby
13-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Probably good news if him and Mullins are out then.

Let's get them in the Palace end :p

SeaEagle
13-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Yup, just about sums it up for me.

Wasn't always an influential player on the pitch, but without his goals (some of which were beauties), we probably wouldn't be in this division.

For that, he'll get some heartfelt applause from me when the Brum visit Selhurst.

:p

delboy01
13-12-2012, 11:53 PM
So now we can sing the ambrose song in safety! :)

Seagull Eater
13-12-2012, 11:57 PM
he was great, and we loved it, but that was then and this is now.
respect and thanks for the memories darren, charltons best free export.

now its Murray time.

Scrumpy
14-12-2012, 01:39 AM
I hope he gets no songs. Why sing a song for an ex player? It's stupid. Anyone that does is a twat IMHO. He is an opposition player for an opposition team. We need to back our own players. Not ex players

elgin eagle
14-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Scored some great goals for us (sheff utd at home was my favourite of a brilliant selection), but we have moved on and so has he. Its interesting to see lee clark has the same problems that we had working him into a formation. Our side is much more balanced with bolasie, garvan, moritz and zaha all working amazingly well and trusting the system. Probably good for us that he is injured though :)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Clapping him is one thing,but singing a song for him is moving into no no cringeville territory for me.
Indeed, give him a manly round of applause. Anything more, and it's almost as bad as Brighton fans wanking over Gerrard's warm up.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Not many players in world football have a better hit that Darren.
Talking of whom....
AQTiFnqOyGI

jobiinthelastmi
14-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Yes in the season we were nearly wiped out completely.

GreatGonzo
14-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Highlights player, would do nothing all game and then every few games he would do something only he could and win it for you.

He was never the same after he picked up his injury and had been declining at Palace for 2 years, we are a better team without him.

He had a great season for us, a very important season and no-one should forget his achievements and that he stayed with us when others chose to jump.

Should always be welcomed at Palace for what he did while with us but still glad he moved when he did.

T.C.
14-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I will clap him, he's almost a club legend in my eyes. Didn't leave for money, left because he was past his peak in a Palace shirt. Love the lad, doesn't mean I won't swear at him when he scores :D
FFS Ambrose!

selhurstparkflyer
14-12-2012, 12:12 PM
He will definitely score tomorrow.

CPFC_DAVE77
14-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Hope we plays, we'll be playing against ten men for longer than against Brighton.

Thanks for everything that year etc, but he ended a shadow of his former self, no surprise Birmingham don't play him as they don't have the schoolgirl emotions attached to him.

Maz
14-12-2012, 12:37 PM
He will definitely score tomorrow.Unlikely.

Bet me a ton on it?

brunezy
14-12-2012, 12:42 PM
absolute legend

bubbs11
14-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I think last season and the season before, Ambrose made Dougie look a better manager than he actually was.

tasty_snacks
14-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Legend is oft overused. Not in this context.

That goal at OT is legendary. Palace fans will be recalling that one for generations, and by 2050 he will have scored it from the half way line, in off the bar. Now that is a legend.

A fine, fine player for us whose goals almost single-handedly kept us up.

In response to Scrompy above - anyone who can't recognise the importance of history to a club is in fact a twat. In 10 years time, that win at OT, that goal against Villa and that day at Hillsborough will still be etched in our minds, whereas Brum away on 15th Dec in the rain most probably will not.

stevek
14-12-2012, 02:19 PM
In response to Scrompy above - anyone who can't recognise the importance of history to a club is in fact a twat. In 10 years time, that win at OT, that goal against Villa and that day at Hillsborough will still be etched in our minds, whereas Brum away on 15th Dec in the rain most probably will not.

Unless it goes like this game, of course 4tvYj4hq8DI

Random*
14-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Good luck to Darren. He gave us some good times, but I think at this stage he's a bit of a passenger in the Championship.

Hope he comes on and scores a 46 yard screamer in the 89th minute when we're 6-0 up.

tasty_snacks
14-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Unless it goes like this game, of course 4tvYj4hq8DI

Bloody hell - I thought that we'd at least get to tomorrow afternoon before someone mentioned that.

BTW - "disgrace to the Midlands" at 2:18; that really is going some. Not sure I can think of a harsher put down.

dan27
14-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Gosh you do talk some bollocks don't you.

carter
14-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I love him still and always will. I hope he gets a hat trick against Bolton whenever they play:D

mrgins
14-12-2012, 02:57 PM
he's out with a knee injury

brighton_eagle
14-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Not during the game when he's playing against us he doesn't.

I would give him a good welcome when his name is read out before kick-off. And maybe a clap when and if he came on.

TheMexicanHorse
14-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Will always be welcomed back to Palace, long as his doesn't play a blinder against us! Least we forget.
He will always get a big clap off of me after his part in one of the best days of my life and my favourite ever game.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/match-centre/article412701.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/Darren-Ambrose-Crystal-Palace+cropped