PDA

View Full Version : Possession Football

Kidofwonder
30-12-2012, 03:43 PM
the best way to not concede late goals, is to keep calm and hold onto the ball. Brendan Rogers got swansea to do it, when you have a late lead, don't lump it long, don't play it into the corners, hold it, keep possession play simple passes always give one and other an option, but leave your outlets on.

Genuine question as I haven't got to many games lately, how many times have we conceded late goals from giving the ball away cheaply?

we need to take a lead and boss it out, go for more goals but don't force the issue patient build up, I think we've become a bit more frantic in recent weeks from brief highlights I've seen, lets go back to our strengths, stay organized , slow possessive build up play, especially when leading.

FishFace09
30-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Swansea's style of play is down to development form Roberto Martinez, Rodgers just continued it, he doesn't know how to develop that passing style himself evident from the other clubs he's managed

philsick
30-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Midfield is the key to this and neither kg or jedinek are ball playing centre mids.Garvan,williams and moritz are passers,but they seem to fight for one place.You need at least 2 or 3 centre mids who are very comfortable on the ball to play that style.

jobiinthelastmi
30-12-2012, 04:01 PM
We needed to keep the ball in the corner yesterday but Parr went round a player and passed it back to their keeper which piled pressure on us.

Stellavista
30-12-2012, 04:38 PM
We needed to keep the ball in the corner yesterday but Parr went round a player and passed it back to their keeper which piled pressure on us.

Yeh, where's Bruce Dyer when you need him? :D

gold76
30-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't know perhaps (and not an excuse) they're tired?

You know the doog used to harp on about fitness.

It's been a problem since day 1 when we wilted in the heat against Watford.

cdm61
30-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Midfield is the key to this and neither kg or jedinek are ball playing centre mids.Garvan,williams and moritz are passers,but they seem to fight for one place.You need at least 2 or 3 centre mids who are very comfortable on the ball to play that style.

While there is some truth in this - KG's 30 yard cross field glory pass led to no where and Forest's first reply...yet he had Parr and Bolaise 30 feet away in space....possession football requires movement and options for the man with the ball - as well as awareness to play a short pass - all players should be able to pass well its the most elementary part of the game

mrgins
30-12-2012, 05:39 PM
While there is some truth in this - KG's 30 yard cross field glory pass led to no where and Forest's first reply...yet he had Parr and Bolaise 30 feet away in space....possession football requires movement and options for the man with the ball - as well as awareness to play a short pass - all players should be able to pass well its the most elementary part of the game
This is how I feel too. Every team needs to be able to play possession, holding onto the ball, being given several passing options, while looking for the seam to slot the ball thru, but also looking to switch the ball long to an unmarked player. Most goals are scored with three or fewer passes. I like a possession game that is looking for the killer thru pass that results in a shot

DHeagle
30-12-2012, 05:49 PM
KG and Jedinak playing clearly doesn't stop us playing this system as it worked well for us until the last few weeks. There seems to have been more emphasis on the full-backs overlapping recently and whilst our midfield three should give us an advantage in playing this system, the full-backs should always be an out ball and at times yesterday it wasn't always there because they were bombing on.

Yesterday, some of KG's passing was sublime, and Jedinak also sprayed the ball about a bit, the key is getting them comfortable on the ball again, even in the dying minutes. We played our best stuff yesterday when those two got on the ball in the middle and we let Moritz get up near Murray - their first equaliser came from it being lumped long and (although there was a definite foul) Murray lost out and they scored from there.

I suppose there is a danger of overplaying (see their second goal), but we definitely have the talent and it's a case of Holloway coaching the habits into the players.

Ardent Eagle Forever
30-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeh, where's Bruce Dyer when you need him? :D
Offside