PDA

View Full Version : How many teams envy us?

CPFC2010ANDON
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
How many teams envy us or would rather be us?

Here's a thought.

When was the last time Palace were in the third tier of the football leagues.

Certainly, since 1992, when I started following Palace keenly, we haven't been.

Yet, let's have a look at some of our illustrious rivals, and the not very illustrious ones too.

Millwall were briefly in the Premier League, were they not, yet they fell down to what is now League One before re-establishing themselves credibly in our division led by Kenny Jackett who has done a superb job at that club.

Charlton laughed at us, and according to Jordan, gave wanker signs when they relegated us, yet they fell further than us eventually, and despite their good win today, they are still struggling down the bottom of the table.

Brighton got excited last season because they finished higher than us for the first time in about 47345734572 years or so it seemed, and now order seems to be being restored.

If we look at other clubs; Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leicester, Bradford all decent clubs, all of which have been relegated down further than the Championship in its various disguises after stints in the Premier League.

Portsmouth have been battered 5-0 today against Swindon too.

Reason I started this thread was because we have been consistent over the last thirty-plus years at this level - with the odd unsuccessful foray in to the Premier League.

Hopefully, this season, we will reach that level again, and I believe, with a back-up winger, and striker to replace Murray when he needs the odd rest, we will get there.

We have been in administration twice during my time supporting the club and yet, on both occasions, Dougie kept us up along with others either alongside him on the field of play, or being directed by him from the dug-out. We were close, but we survived.

It can be a bit boring staying in this division for so long, but, as long as we are exciting and fighting for something, preferably with a positive outcome, I think we are very lucky as a club to have consistently played at a high level often out-performing so-called bigger clubs.

I think, our record is very good indeed compared to a lot of our 'rivals' and long may it continue.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
It does seem we have a guardian angle when it comes to staying up in this division :)

Yankeagle
01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
All teams from 4th to 24th in the Championship, and every single other team at all levels lower than the Championship.

Malarkey
01-01-2013, 11:05 PM
I'll start a list:

1. Brighton

SHiiBBZ
01-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Millwall have never been in the PL

Ant.Palace
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM

And hopefully never will.

cpfcfan124
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Lads, we have a long way to go.

jamie12
01-01-2013, 11:27 PM
^^^

Lets keep our feet on the ground and do this sort of stuff in the summer IF we get promoted.

Oli28
01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Why would anyone envy us?

I've never envied another team.

ExiledStirling
01-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I am a Palace fan and do not envy any other team. I am guessing fans of other clubs feel the same, so my answer is zero.

What do I win?

EDIT: Oli28 got there before me and stated the point better.

CPFC2010ANDON
01-01-2013, 11:34 PM

So, I just reminded myself on their website.

Close twice, but not quite, and an FA Cup Final appearance followed by a short European journey to Hungary where they lacked the bite to succeed. (See what I did there?)

CPFC2010ANDON
01-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I am not using this thread to count our chickens as they say regarding our promotion.

I am merely saying that we are a decent club who have been blessed to have been able to stay at this level or above for thirty years - something others noted above haven't managed to do.

Other clubs have fallen further than us, and administration aside, we have been consistently good at this level - something I think we can be proud of.

FrenchImmersion
01-01-2013, 11:38 PM
We've also had the very existence of the club threatened more than once.

BBK
01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
All the clubs that appreciate going for promotion the proper way rather than selling to some foreign **** who piles on debt or changes your clubs colours for a bit of dollar.

Our starting 11 today must be among the cheapest of anyone in this division.

1_Neil_Warnock
01-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Went to Reading away last season. After seeing the atmosphere there I felt sorry for them despite winning the league and was proud to be a palace fan.

Don't envy any team above us and doubt many below us feel the same.

Seagull Eater
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Why would anyone envy us?

I've never envied another team.

not even Barcelona ? with Messi in what looks like a palace shirt ? Messi even rhymes with Bolasie....now there is a combination to envy

tasty_snacks
02-01-2013, 01:08 AM
This is all a bit Man Utd for my liking. For sure, teams below us would rather be where we are, but it goes no further than that.

I'm very proud of the fact that this is our 35 consecutive season in the top two tiers; the OP is certainly right to brag on this one. We're one of only 11 clubs that can say this.

tasty_snacks
02-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Oops, double post...

Seagull Eater
02-01-2013, 01:13 AM
This is all a bit Man Utd for my liking. For sure, teams below us would rather be where we are, but it goes no further than that.

I'm very proud of the fact that this is our 35 consecutive season in the top two tiers; the OP is certainly right to brag on this one. We're one of only 12 clubs that can say this.

too tired to research it myself. Which twelve clubs ? will any of them go down to league one anytime soon ? ie got dodgy finances ?

tasty_snacks
02-01-2013, 01:21 AM
too tired to research it myself. Which twelve clubs ? will any of them go down to league one anytime soon ? ie got dodgy finances ?

Ipswich is in peril.... That being the only other club not currently in the Plastic Prem.

Usual suspects make up the others. The way Villa is in free fall though, who knows in a couple of seasons where they'll end up?

Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Palace, Ipswich, Spurs, West Ham.

EDIT - that's 11, even better :p

CPFC2010ANDON
02-01-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm very proud of the fact that this is our 35 consecutive season in the top two tiers; the OP is certainly right to brag on this one. We're one of only 12 clubs that can say this.

Is the point I was trying to make.

Thank you.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
02-01-2013, 05:11 AM
Definitly Barcelona.Why else would they copy our kit.Play in a similar style and have the same sort of players and crowd figures.

Cleon
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Brighton are obsessed by us. Envy has festered in their hearts for decades.

Al From Bromley
02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Being a football fan isn't about envy, unless you're a prawn sandwich eating, picnic hamper taking Johnny come lately glory hunting dwad at one of the bigger clubs who happen to then have a bad season (i.e. chose Arsenal and see Man U are 20 points in front of you on new years day)

Windsor_Eagle
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
A pretty odd thread if I'm being honest.

'Envy' is a peculiar term as I'm not envious of the many clubs that are established Premiership teams with an illustrious history - so what would make anyone envious of what we have achieved?

We have great fans, and wonderfully decrepit stadium, a team that has thrilled all of us over the years - but the beauty of following Palace for me has always been that we are a well kept secret in so much as the only people who 'get it' are those equally as hooked on Palace as I am. A cult following if you will. Certainly I don't imagine many of our peers to look towards our corner of South London with green eyes. However, that, for me, makes supporting us all the more special.

Just as an aside, but the idea that people would measure whether or not they've fallen to the third tier a few times since we were last there as a yardstick by which we've outperformed them is a little misguided. For a good few teams they established themselves as top flight regulars before that happened so it isn't evidence of any sort of superiority that we've not sunk to division 3.

That being said I am wonderfully proud of the 30+ years that we've been up in the upper echelons of the football league pyramid. To think a large proportion of our fanbase won't know what it feels like to have been drawn in round 1 of the FA cup!

Overall, I love this team in all its glory (or lack of it) but I don't for a second think that other clubs are particularly envious of us as that isn't how true football fans think - is it?

BHA4EVA12
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Can't believe this thread. :S: You just couldn't make it up.

Palace the club that keeps giving

Dorking .Eagle
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Palace, Ipswich, Spurs, West Ham.

Out of those clubs, I think I'd only really 'understand' being an Ipswich fan - they've had a similar experience to us over the last 20 years - mainly in the 2nd tier, but the occasional brush with the top flight, with some relegation near misses thrown in. Can draw a decent crowd on a good day, but still play in a proper ground. I sort of envy their few successes (particularly Euro qualification and the cup final win), which perhaps we could and should have notched up ourselves in the early 90's but for the fickle hand of fate, but then with Palace I always like to think that our turn to earn a proper honour is still to come.

If we could 'just' get up this season (and stay up more than one year!) think what could be possible on the pitch (look at Stoke, Fulham, even Wigan!) - all clubs no better than us, who took their chance when it arised and haven't 'cocked it up' since. (although I admit I don't know their financial situations)

Dorking .Eagle
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Remind me when your lot last finished third in the top flight?

dannyb1
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM

But brighton have been giving for years and still continue to do so..:hi:

Maz
02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Bizarre

HurstpierPalace
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I'd say most teams aren't particularly bothered about us.

BHA4EVA12
02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Remind me when your lot last finished third in the top flight?

We haven't.

But brighton have been giving for years and still continue to do so..:hi:

Not at the moment we're not.

This thread is a bit cringey tho, you have to agree. This is why other teams are laughing at you, the majority of you actually believe you will go up. There's a long hard fall come may and this site will be in meltdown. Quote "same old palace"

ffsear
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Really hope fans of other clubs don't see this thread!

Heb 7:4
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't mind if they do. The vast majority of us don't think any other club envies us.

If you want to see real delusion, go on NSC and read the "which clubs are bigger than Brighton" thread. It's pure comedy.

Maz
02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Derek Smalls: We're lucky.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah.
Derek Smalls: I mean, people should be envying us, you know.
David St. Hubbins: I envy us.
Derek Smalls: Yeah.
David St. Hubbins: I do.
Derek Smalls: Me too.

Dorking .Eagle
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
This is why other teams are laughing at you, the majority of you actually believe you will go up. There's a long hard fall come may and this site will be in meltdown. Quote "same old palace"

This is general Palace discussion. If you want to take the piss, go to the Away Fans end and leave us optimists alone to dream.

I'm sure there are plenty of things Br*ghton envy us for. Forgetting the third in the top flight, or even just the 13 seasons in the top flight, it's the simple things, like our crowd having noisier support even if the numbers are less. That we are playing at a proper ground with character, rather than a plastic bowl in the arse end of nowhere. That thousands of our fans don't choose leaving on 85 minutes over watching the whole game because said ground has laugable transport links. That our manager isn't a racist buffoon.

Give me a proper club over a plastic one any day, plentiful pubs, cafes and street parking. Three stations a short walk away (without queues). Traditional warm wooden seats over padded ones.

But then all the Br*ghton 'new breed' fans wouldn't really 'get that', which further reinforces my point.

dim
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Derek Smalls: We're lucky.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah.
Derek Smalls: I mean, people should be envying us, you know.
David St. Hubbins: I envy us.
Derek Smalls: Yeah.
David St. Hubbins: I do.
Derek Smalls: Me too.

I suppose this leave this Palace as the lukewarm water between the fire and ice of uniteds Manchester and Colchester...... Better than being Brighton though, they really are a shark sandwich.

Cleon
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
This thread is a bit cringey tho, you have to agree. This is why other teams are laughing at you, the majority of you actually believe you will go up. There's a long hard fall come may and this site will be in meltdown. Quote "same old palace"

I see your comment, and raise you:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?266821-Taking-the-criteria-of-fanbase-stadium-potential-and-club-history-into-consideration

Yes, this thread is a bit cringeworthy (although nowhere near as bad the one above) but actually I don't see anybody on this thread saying we are definitely going up. But we do have a good shout of going up this season, along with 5 or 6 other clubs. By definition 2 or 3 will be very disappointed.

Penstone Eagle
02-01-2013, 10:57 AM

So do I, if you look on NSC you will see plenty of similar threads, 'are we bigger than....' etc etc. All these threads appeared after the new stadium etc and suddenly they all elevated themselves above everyone else in their land of delusion.

Pointless thread.

Penstone Eagle
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
This is general Palace discussion. If you want to take the piss, go to the Away Fans end and leave us optimists alone to dream.

Spot on

Shouldn't the mods be dealing with this wind up merchant ?

Maz
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Spot on

Shouldn't the mods be dealing with this wind up merchant ? They can only do it if you complain to them.

Not reasonable to expect them to police every post.

Dorking .Eagle
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
I've been thinking a bit more about this thread, and I don't think it's as simple as saying that the 21 clubs below us all necessarily 'envy us' in some way. There are 24 clubs in this Division and each on is unique and on it's own different place in it's journey (sorry if that sounds a bit 'deep').

Just because Charlton aren't 3rd in the League doesn't mean their fans aren't really pleased that (after 3 years in L1) they are consolidating this season. The season after we stayed up at Sheffield Wednesday, I was delighted we finished 5th bottom (having been in the mire under Burley at the turn of the year) - it was an exciting season despite our low finishing position, and the whole relegation battle really united the fans with the club. I remember 'don't stop believing' being played at the end of each home game, and the fans singing 'don't worry about a thing' with some fondness.

It'd be great to be in the Prem, and stay up, like Wigan or Stoke manage each season, but that doesn't mean I'd want to swap teams and support Fulham. I do wonder how many Br*ghton fans would keep their season tickets if they went down?

Al From Bromley
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Can I ask a practical question at this point? Are we envying fans of other clubs?

Maz
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Can I ask a practical question at this point? Are we envying fans of other clubs?

Today I will be mostly envying people whose names begin with the letter "D".

Dorking .Eagle
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

I quite like what Moyes has done at Everton, however you can never ignore that it is built on the foundations of 100 years in the top flight and 30k+ crowds.

Norwich are a good role model IMO. Chris Hughton is a manager I've always rated, and they've built their club up well, got up and stayed there. And as far as I know they aren't in tens of millions of pounds of debt.

I wouldn't swap being a Palace fan for anything though - rollercoaster ride all the way.

Gosling
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Millwall were in the top flight of English football in 1988. They finished tenth, but were relegated the next season. That competition used to be called the first division of the football league.

Football didn't begin with the foundation of the Premier League, Premiership, EPL, or whatever crap the marketeers have decided it should be called...

Gerry from Sussex
02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
When I first started going to SP we had only recently got to this level and had traditionally been a third tier club. Part of me still thinks we are punching above our weight but as the OP says we have really consolidated and this is our level now. Whether or not we can consolidate at an even higher level remains to be seen. The odds are against it as we just don't have the finance but you never know what might happen with a new stadium able to generate decent income.

I don't envy any other clubs though. There's only two teams I think about - us and Brighton. And, as long as we are ahead of them I'm happy!!

CPFC2010ANDON
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
I apologise for asking if anyone envies us. I was scraping the barrel a bit for a title to the thread, and was a bit blank-minded for a title.

Tasty Snacks put it how I wanted. It's more an appreciation thread of the way I feel about our club, and how, whilst we may not have won any top honours, we are still quite a successful club that has done well at this level and out-performed most clubs.

Like others have said, I love supporting Palace and wouldn't swap them for anyone.

pauldrulez
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
We haven't.

This is why teams are laughing at us?

After you morons went from forum to forum last season annoying fans?

You're the online plastic brigade of Falmer Franchise FC.

Beanie
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Please expalin the logic, and indeed pleasure, in visiting another clubs discussion forum to find threads to comment on - I really don't get it. You must have gone searching for this. Why??

brighton_eagle
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Feck off away to AFE.

brighton_eagle
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
As for the thread, yes, we can be proud of our record of staying in the top 2 leagues for so long. It's been close a few times, and of course those moments have gone down in Palace history as amazing moments. Stockport, Sheffield, along with other equally important moments.

But envy? Nope, I can't see it. I'm not envious of other teams. I'm a Palace fan, not out of choice as much as it's in the dna. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I imagine most other fans feel the same way about their clubs.

tasty_snacks
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
As the OP has stated, 'envy' was not the intended implication.

All clubs from 4th in the Championship downwards by definition would want to swap league positions with us, and we have a record to be proud of in competing in the top two tiers for 35 years straight. That is all.

Lombardo 888
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM

No but they have been in the top flight for two seasons 1988-90 I think, which counts. I hate Premier league stats. The top division is the top division, whatever it is called.

BAZZA!
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
......... that this is our 35 consecutive season in the top two tiers; the OP is certainly right to brag on this one. We're one of only 11 clubs that can say this.[/QUOTE]

now that is a great statistic!

Kent-eagle
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I am a Palace fan and do not envy any other team. I am guessing fans of other clubs feel the same, so my answer is zero.

What do I win?

EDIT: Oli28 got there before me and stated the point better.
Bit of a silly thread to start IMO. Comes across a little smug and the fact I have never envied any club makes this a no goer. This also fuels the fire for for away fans to warm their hands on. In one word, pointless.

Blind_Eagle
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Like others have said, I love supporting Palace and wouldn't swap them for anyone.

What about if we paid?

west country boy
02-01-2013, 05:14 PM
:D

JAS78
02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
No but they have been in the top flight for two seasons 1988-90 I think, which counts. I hate Premier league stats. The top division is the top division, whatever it is called.

Football stats are totally irrelevant pre 1992

Sky said so.

eaglejez
02-01-2013, 05:47 PM
People who ignore top flight records before 1993 and/or differentiate between the old First Div and Premier League can't be taken seriously with regard to football matters :)

CPFC2010ANDON
25-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Feeling as proud as ever.

EAGLES!

CPFC2010ANDON
25-05-2013, 03:58 AM
What about if we paid?

Money doesn't buy my love nor does it destroy it.

:cool:

Heb 7:4
25-05-2013, 05:17 AM
I doubt any other teams fans envy us. I don't envy any other teams either

Players, I'm sure all teams bar Cardiff and Hull and Watford in the Championship envy us at the moment.

CPFC2010ANDON
21-09-2013, 09:15 AM

I started this thread back in January.

I remember someone correctly pointing out, once upon a time, that I never say anything bad about the club I support.

Since this thread was started, we have indeed been promoted.

QPR splashed the cash, and that only proved money and club down the drain.

Millwall struggling.

Brighton nowhere near a promotion seeking team.

Charlton struggling.

Bristol City, the one club that seemed be a bit of a bogey side, and a team with a bit of an unpleasant history where we are confirmed.

ALl in all, I think I have been justified in starting this thread, and justified in believing in the team we had, and have now.

waddoneagle
21-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Brighton, Millwall and Charlton, Close thread

art malice
21-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I started this thread back in January.

I remember someone correctly pointing out, once upon a time, that I never say anything bad about the club I support.

Since this thread was started, we have indeed been promoted.

QPR splashed the cash, and that only proved money and club down the drain.

Millwall struggling.

Brighton nowhere near a promotion seeking team.

Charlton struggling.

Bristol City, the one club that seemed be a bit of a bogey side, and a team with a bit of an unpleasant history where we are confirmed.

ALl in all, I think I have been justified in starting this thread, and justified in believing in the team we had, and have now.

I envy you for starting this thread

CPFC2010ANDON
21-09-2013, 09:21 AM
We haven't.

:D

How did this go exactly? Oh, yes, I was right to believe in us, and we were right to believe in us going up, and we didn't have a fall. Brighton on the otherhand :sob: Tears from their eyes when we made sure that they would, once again, be finishing below us, and be in our shadow for yet another season.

eaglejez
21-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Brighton fans definitely envy us

Gooders
21-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Brighton, Millwall and Charlton, Close thread

Don't forget Watford.

Ninjas Headband
21-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Can imagine there's a few green eyes coming from the direction of Loftus Road.

addopalace
21-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Everyone's treating 'envy' like it's a dirty word, but I distinctly remember feeling envious of Charlton's long stay in the premiership and anxious about its growth during the same period.

I don't envy Brighton its stadium.

greybot
21-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Gillingham. Or maybe just tonytwohundredandninetyninebellies :D