PDA

View Full Version : From the Training Ground with Palace Radio - Pre Stoke City

jhc
03-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Ian is still undecided about his team for saturday but will make a decision tomorrow after a meeting with the players.
The press in Stoke are reporting that Pulis is going to put out his strongest side. Don't know whether that will affect Ollie's team selection.
They've done well in this competition in the last few years and Pulis has openly stated that he sees the FA Cup as their only realistic chance of winning silverware this season.
They'll be really going for it so we'll have to be at our best.

Palace will be without KG who has gone to the Africa Nations Cup. It was originally thought he was going to stay for saturday but I think SA decided they want him now.
One other thing that unexpectedly came out (it was a surprise to me because I thought he was here for the season) but Aaron Martin will not be available because he is going back to Southampton.

Aaron Wilbraham (rib injury) & Darcy Blake (recovering his fitness after a virus) will not be available.

Joel Ward (torn groin muscle) will be 'another 3 or 4 weeks'.
Owen Garvan (knee) has had a scan but the results were inconclusive because it was so swollen. He is having another scan -possibly later today but will clearly be out for some weeks. It's 'not looking good' was Ian's response.

Delaney (back from suspension) will start alongside Ramage it would seem, because Gabbidon (hamstring), despite only coming off as a precaution on saturday, will not to be risked from the start against Stoke.

Ian has toyed with the idea of playing Wilf one half and Yannick the other, but it sounded very much as though he's unsure whether to do that or not.

Despite rumours that Jacob Butterfield is on his way to Selhurst, Ian denied that there had been moves for any players. He said he was on the phone til 11pm last night talking to other clubs but nothing had been settled or was even close.

Ian said he was going to go out and give Stoke as good a game as he can, but changes will be made. He's tempted to start with Williams but the fitness team want to 'wrap him in cotton wool' so he may be on the bench. O'Keefe is sure to figure to some degree.

There have been no bids for any Palace player (and Ian hopes it stays that way:D)

I think despite the injuries and unavailability of other players, Ian will put out a team that will be competitive and give us a chance in this tie.
You can hear the interview on Palace Radio at 12-30pm on saturday before the game and at other times leading up to kick-off, or listen now
Listen here
(http://cheerfulworld.jellycast.com/files/audio/Ian%20Holloway%20Interview%20Stoke%20City%20FA%20C up%20Preview.mp3)(mp3 - 7m33s - 6.9MB)

Scrumpy
03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Ian is still undecided about his team for saturday but will make a decision tomorrow after a meeting with the players.
The press in Stoke are reporting that Pulis is going to put out his strongest side. Don't know whether that will affect Ollie's team selection.
They've done well in this competition in the last few years and Pulis has openly stated that he sees the FA Cup as their only realistic chance of winning silverware this season.
They'll be really going for it so we'll have to be at our best.

Palace will be without KG who has gone to the Africa Nations Cup. It was originally thought he was going to stay for saturday but I think SA decided they want him now.
One other thing that unexpectedly came out (it was a surprise to me because I thought he was here for the season) but Aaron Martin will not be available because he is going back to Southampton.

Aaron Wilbraham (rib injury) & Darcy Blake will not be available.

Joel Ward (torn groin muscle) will be 'another 3 or 4 weeks'.
Owen Garvan (knee) has had a scan but the results were inconclusive because it was so swollen. He is having another scan -possibly later today but will clearly be out for some weeks. It's 'not looking good' was Ian's response.

Delaney (back from suspension) will start alongside Ramage it would seem, because Gabbidon (hamstring), despite only coming off as a precaution on saturday, will not to be risked from the start against Stoke.

Ian has toyed with the idea of playing Wilf one half and Yannick the other, but it sounded very much as though he's unsure whether to do that or not.

Despite rumours that Jacob Butterfield is on his way to Selhurst, Ian denied that there had been moves for any players. He said he was on the phone til 11pm last night talking to other clubs but nothing had been settled or was even close.

Ian said he was going to go out and give Stoke as good a game as he can, but changes will be made. He's tempted to start with Williams but the fitness team want to 'wrap him in cotton wool' so he may be on the bench. O'Keefe is sure to figure to some degree.

There have been no bids for any Palace player (and Ian hopes it stays that way:D)

I think despite the injuries and unavailability of other players, Ian will put out a team that will be competitive and give us a chance in this tie.
You can hear the interview on Palace Radio at 12-30pm on saturday before the game and at other times leading up to kick-off

Thanks Jerry as alays. Not surprised about Martin, he's barely played so I can't imagine Southampton are overjoyed.

dannyboy1807
maybe Southampton decided they want him back because he isn't playing?

SeaEagle
Great round up - thanks!

pauldrulez
03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Pretty much good news on all fronts really.

Big Blue Eagle
03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Any news on what the issue is with Blake? Knew he was out but not sure of the injury.

917L
03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Darcy Blake will not be available.

Do we have any idea why?

jobiinthelastmi
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank god that useless Martin is gone :lux:

Sp1Eagle
03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Another CB coming in on loan then?

jobiinthelastmi
03-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Another CB coming in on loan then?

Why? Delaney, Gabbidon and Ramage are enough, plus Paddy and Blake

Sp1Eagle
03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Thank god that useless Martin is gone :lux:

Still think with a run of games in the team he would be decent. But obviously that wasn't going to happen here.

Sp1Eagle
03-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Three of them are injured.

Mad Raschic Ken
03-01-2013, 03:51 PM

In my opinion they may be enough in terms of quantity, but are well short of being enough in terms of quality if we want to get promoted.

jhc
03-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Do we have any idea why?

I'm afraid I don't.
About 5/6 weeks ago he was suffering from some sort of sickness but I assume he got over that okay. I can only think it's a fitness issue. As far as I know he's been training and I don't think he's carrying an injury. I didn't ask specifically but no doubt someone will come on here with the exact reason.

wedgetail
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
He is useless, based on reports from before he arrived I thought we were getting a good player, but I was very wrong.

jobiinthelastmi
03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
In my opinion they may be enough in terms of quantity, but are well short of being enough in terms of quality if we want to get promoted.

Gabbidon is Premiership quality.

Name one team other than Cardiff that has better in this league.

Scroatey
03-01-2013, 04:05 PM
He is useless...That's no way to talk about jhc :D

If you're lucky I will have the audio up online later this evening - if I can stay awake, too much partying! Subscribe to the feeds / iTunes etc www.palaceradio.net/podcasts.html

917L
03-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Paddy out till March at the earliest

Gabbidon, Hamstring, may only be minor but he hasnt played much for months until the last 2 weeks so who knows

Blake, whats up with him?

So that leaves Ramage and Delaney

Shipp Ahoy!
03-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Worst timing possible with Martin, just as he might actually get some game time and possibly show some of why he is really rated at Southampton he's off!

Penstone Eagle
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Paddy is out for a while yet and as for Blake, well that's anybody's guess, we really aren't that strong in that area.

wedgetail
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
By the second half on Tuesday we had McCarthy, Delaney, Blake and Gabbidon unavailable, three of those are still not available for Saturday and the substandard sub has gone back to Soton.
We certainly need at least one loan/replacement.

jhc
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I think you'll find that is the area that Ian will try to strengthen this month. Either a permanent or loan move is pretty much nailed on. We don't have much cover if either Ramage or Delaney gets injured at the moment. Rest assured he will address the problem.

Yankeagle
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
We've got 5 capable CB's. Sure we've been unlucky recently with injuries, but Martin was brought in before we had Blake, Delaney or Gabbidon, perhaps even Ramage. I think we have plenty of depth now, and so what that he's gone back, we now can give game time to our own youngsters. I'm sure Quade Taylor, or Michael Chambers, or even Ryan Inniss would be able to tie down a spot on the bench.

Realistically, we have Ramage and Delaney as a partnership, which worked very well for awhile. And we've got 3 more to come back, although it remains to be seen if Gabbidon is even injured, so I'd say we are in perfectly good shape for Championship defenders.

The problem areas for depth are right back, centre mid, winger and striker.

cookie1981
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM
we will need cover at centre half if this is the case as don't want to see moxey playing there again like he did for games last season

SpikeyMatt
03-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I'd imagine Southampton are going to loan him out to another club where he'll get game time regularly - we couldn't offer that so it's best for all that he goes.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Maybe he has decided to go for a permanent first choice centre back as a result of the goals we have leaked recently.
If we are going to spend a bit I have to admit I think it is an area we can improve. Particularly as in the slightly longer run most of our centre backs are nearer the end of their careers.

Penstone Eagle
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
We've got 5 capable CB's. Sure we've been unlucky recently with injuries, but Martin was brought in before we had Blake, Delaney or Gabbidon, perhaps even Ramage. I think we have plenty of depth now, and so what that he's gone back, we now can give game time to our own youngsters. I'm sure Quade Taylor, or Michael Chambers, or even Ryan Inniss would be able to tie down a spot on the bench.

Realistically, we have Ramage and Delaney as a partnership, which worked very well for awhile. And we've got 3 more to come back, although it remains to be seen if Gabbidon is even injured, so I'd say we are in perfectly good shape for Championship defenders.

The problem areas for depth are right back, centre mid, winger and striker.

On paper yes, fitness wise no

But when ?

Lose one on Saturday and we can only fall back on Gabbidon, we need back up.

Owngoal
03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Paddy out till March at the earliest

Gabbidon, Hamstring, may only be minor but he hasnt played much for months until the last 2 weeks so who knows

Blake, whats up with him?

So that leaves Ramage and Delaney

Which is not a good situation as the promising youngsters are a year off being bench ready. Gabbidon was almost certainly not given a contract based on injury rather than ability. We need back up at CH which I'm sure IH will do.

nellis
03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
3 of those are injured

nellis
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Have Cardiff's centre backs played more than 3 games in half a season?

nellis
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Worst timing possible with Martin, just as he might actually get some game time and possibly show some of why he is really rated at Southampton he's off!
This is exactly my thinking.

TC EAGLE
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
My ex neighbour rents out a spare room to Palace they had Appiah staying with them when he first arrived, I bumped into them earlier today and he gets the occasional info, apparently Darcy Blake had a really bad bout of that Novovirus, lost to much weight cos of it and was told to stay away from training ground and SP until it was completely gone, he's is ok now and the club doctor has ok'd him to resume training and will need to regain match fitness Stoke game to soon.

Ruskin Old Boy
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Cheers jhc, as ever the best pre-match news :p

Also surprised about Martin going back, it was a season long loan. Seems the squad needs 3 or more players, especially with Ward and Garvan out for a while. Shame about Blake, no wonder there was no news about him.

dmf73
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Pulis has today said he will make some changes but will put put a team that respects Ian Holloway and Crystal Palace.
He was also very complementary about Palace - would love to see us back in the Prem. Also no coincidence that Ian Holloway is Godfather to his son!

Scroatey
03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Listen to Palace Radio's interview with Ian Holloway as he looks ahead to the visit of Stoke City here (http://cheerfulworld.jellycast.com/files/audio/Ian%20Holloway%20Interview%20Stoke%20City%20FA%20C up%20Preview.mp3)(mp3 - 7m33s - 6.9MB)

Mad Raschic Ken
03-01-2013, 07:43 PM

To be fair, I do rate Gabbidon. However, I'm not convinced that he'll play many games for us. Delaney and Ramage are wholehearted players who have done a decent enough job, but we're conceding too many goals to have a realistic chance of automatic promotion in my opinion. We can't keep letting two goals a game in and moaning about missed chances at the other end. If we believe that Gabbidon has a chance of starting a good proportion of games then him and a new quality central defender in the starting line up with Delaney and Ramage as back up would be more like it.

GreatGonzo
03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm afraid I don't.
About 5/6 weeks ago he was suffering from some sort of sickness but I assume he got over that okay. I can only think it's a fitness issue. As far as I know he's been training and I don't think he's carrying an injury. I didn't ask specifically but no doubt someone will come on here with the exact reason.

It was a virus not an injuey, so depending on what it is he may have been almost bed ridden for a week or two, losing a fair amount of fitness and body weight. That will take time to build back up again.

mrgins
03-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Darcy Blake (recovering his fitness after a virus) will not be available.

thats why

ChristalPalace
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
That's no way to talk about jhc :D

:D

Must spread rep, etc.

Groinstrain
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Looks like Michael Owen will be playing tomorrow.......hopefully his lack of match fitness will help whoever we play at the back.

viking's no1
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Like the way the interviewer says Poolis instead of Pulis but then I'm also looking forward to seeing Mother Goose later this month :D

jhc
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Like the way the interviewer says Poolis instead of Pulis:D

Yes, my son has already reprimanded me about that:D

viking's no1
04-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Yes, my son has already reprimanded me about that:D
Don't stop. If you can get a bum in there next time, my 4 year old will be estatic.

jhc
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Reading between the lines of what Ian said on Thursday, I think the team might be

Price
Parr Delaney Ramage Moxey
Zaha/ Bolasie O'keefe Jedinak Moritz
Murray

Zaha & Bolasie to play one half each so don't know who will play from the start, but you never know, maybe he'll start with Williams. This'll be the most anticipated team selection this season - can't wait

Stavros 69
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
We should not be playing Murray and if we could rest Ramage I would.

jhc
05-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Easter is the only other fit striker then

Sp1Eagle
05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Easter is the only other fit striker then

Appiah.

Somerset Exile
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Still here. Shit, what to do? As well as seeing a good Palace team beat Premiershit, Michael Owen was once one of my fave players & there won't be too many more chances to see this once fine player. Anyone know if there's any shitty roadworks round the south circular that might delay me?

glaziers fan
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
We should not be playing Murray and if we could rest Ramage I would.

Rest Ramage so he can be used to life on the bench when Gabbidon takes his place next week?

glaziers fan
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
If we are going to give the game a go then Delaney and Jedinak have to start to deal with their aerial threat. To be fair to the players, who sound up for it by the sound of the pre-match comments, their next game isn't for another week so plenty of recovery time.

I'd rest Parr and play Wright. I'd rest Murray and play Appiah/Easter. Moritz in the hole with Williams and Bolasie starting and Zaha on at half time.

kit82
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Reading between the lines of what Ian said on Thursday, I think the team might be

Price
Parr Delaney Ramage Moxey
Zaha/ Bolasie O'keefe Jedinak Moritz
Murray

Zaha & Bolasie to play one half each so don't know who will play from the start, but you never know, maybe he'll start with Williams. This'll be the most anticipated team selection this season - can't wait

I know we are not bothered about the cup but IH playing 10 men is just silly!!!

Madden
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Looks like Michael Owen will be playing tomorrow.......hopefully his lack of match fitness will help whoever we play at the back.

Could be his last, as his management are in talks with Perth Glory about a move out here!

jhc
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I know we are not bothered about the cup but IH playing 10 men is just silly!!!

Sorry, forgot about Wright:D

jhc
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Appiah.

Not sure he is a realistic option to start up front though.
Not enough experience to be expected to lead the line on his own in a game this big

Now sounds like Wright isn't involved and Murray not starting which if true is disappointing:(