PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Craig Dawson

pardew's shorts
30-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Anyone else heard this whisper around? Would be a good signing in my opinion, despite the dodgy Euro 2013.

JAS78
30-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Who's whispering it ?

Good player

AJ8
30-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Would be a cracking signing.

Yogya
30-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Express and Star say "West Brom insist Craig Dawson is going nowhere"http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2013/06/13/west-brom-insist-craig-dawson-is-going-nowhere/

Psychokiller
30-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Fits the profile of what we need perfectly but I doubt he'll be cheap.

baby_eagle
30-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Is the rumour a loan or full transfer? Would be a good signing if a proper transfer

Woosie
30-06-2013, 11:41 AM
The only place I can see this is that bullshit twitter account UEFA Agent.

However, I'd be delighted if we signed Dawson on loan or permanently, didn't realise he began his career in non league.

pardew's shorts
30-06-2013, 11:46 AM
The whisper was from an actual person, not Twitter. Obviously I'm not going to name said person.

Intimation was it would be a permanent transfer, fee circa 2.5m-3m.

Jim Cannon
30-06-2013, 11:54 AM
would certainly be good if we managed it

Jono14
30-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Would be a quality signing.

orp pisshead1
30-06-2013, 12:23 PM
The whisper was from an actual person, not Twitter. Obviously I'm not going to name said person.

Good player good fee as well, only rated ok by some baggies i know lol.

Owngoal
30-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Really what we need to get a team together that will grow and get better over a couple of years. Everything crossed for this one

FromSelhurst
30-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Goals mask his poor defending in my opinion.

bigend1
30-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Would love this, just what we need. you've been here a while and I don't remember you doing a 'Harry monk' before... Is your source likely to be for real? You trust them?

DARZET EAGLE
30-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Would love this, just what we need. you've been here a while and I don't remember you doing a 'Harry monk' before... Is your source likely to be for real? You trust them?

Another ITK poster, I suspect it's complete rubbish.

Billyd
30-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Would be a brilliant signing.

mexicaneagle
30-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes please.

El Kooch
30-06-2013, 10:52 PM

We need those goals tho

Kidofwonder
30-06-2013, 11:48 PM
do we have a link with West Brom?

so far we've been linked with

Odemwingie
Thomas
Reid
Dawson

I swear there was someone else too, so yeah, what gives?

glaziers fan
01-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Would be superb.

eagle69
01-07-2013, 07:03 AM
hell yes

If we could pull this one off, it would be amazing

COYP!

FromSelhurst
01-07-2013, 07:33 AM
We need those goals tho

Personally i'd rather a defender whose primary attribute was defending.

CPFC_DAVE77
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I agree that this would be a great signing for us.

Friskey
01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Much better than all our current options and a good age, this would be an incredible signing. Can't see them selling him though.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Only started 7 and sub in 2 games at this level, and opnly 1 clean sheet.

That said at 23 his best years are definately in the future and if he is improving on the defending then a CB who can score a goal or 2 is valuable.

Malarkey
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
He's got a bright future, can't see him being sold. Maybe a loan though.

CharlieCPFC
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Only started 7 and sub in 2 games at this level, and opnly 1 clean sheet.

That said at 23 his best years are definately in the future and if he is improving on the defending then a CB who can score a goal or 2 is valuable.

Exactly, these are the types of signings we need to make. IF we was to get relegated we would still be a very strong side with the likes of Gayle etc ready to give us a good chance of a straight bounce back. We need to think of the long term rather than the short term.

The Gerry Queen
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Exactly, these are the types of signings we need to make. IF we was to get relegated we would still be a very strong side with the likes of Gayle etc ready to give us a good chance of a straight bounce back. We need to think of the long term rather than the short term.

What about Ryan Innis and Quade Taylor.... not to mention Alex Wynter. Surely they are here for the long term ?

karl.eldridge
01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Would wet my pants if we signed Dawson. Great Prospect.

ChickenDipper
01-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Would have preferred curtis davies. . . .

FromSelhurst
01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Would have preferred curtis davies. . . .

Much better player.

Dawson pops up on the Soccer Saturday vidiprinter, so must be good.

cpfc4evandeva
01-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Harry Monk?

-N.W.A-
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM

So true

CharlieCPFC
01-07-2013, 09:11 AM
What about Ryan Innis and Quade Taylor.... not to mention Alex Wynter. Surely they are here for the long term ?

It would be nice to think so, I can't make no judgement on them as I haven't seen them recently. I've heard good things about Innis, but you can't guarantee younger players a long term future at the club if they aren't good enough.

We can't just rely on academy graduates, we do need a core of players that are proven but still fairly young.

JB's ghost
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
I rate these youngsters - and, more importantly, I read somewhere that Ollie does too. But they are only 19 and centre backs take time to mature. In the Championship, one or two of them might have had outings next year, at least on the bench, but I doubt this will happen in the Premiership. We have a centre back age gap between 19 and 29 and we need at least one new player in to fill it.

Payney
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2013/06/13/west-brom-insist-craig-dawson-is-going-nowhere/

Sounds doubtful

Stellavista
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2013/06/13/west-brom-insist-craig-dawson-is-going-nowhere/

Sounds doubtful

Except that we're no longer a Championship club...

pardew's shorts
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm not remotely trying to be ITK or anything, just passing on some info I was given by someone not insignificant - someone who is certain not prone to bullshit.

Merely passing on the message - our interest by no means means it's going to happen. They might not want to sell, he might not fancy it, his wage demands might be silly, etc.

Would be decent if it came off, though there is - unfortunately I guess - much better value to be had abroad.

New LP
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

In other words, pretty much accept relegation this time around and plan for a promotion push from the Championship in a years time?

You talk of short termism, but surely trying to stay up would represent long termism in terms of strengthening the squad, rebuilding the ground, making the academy even better, building our support, developing young players? If that means signing older more experienced players now to achieve that then that's what we should do.

El Kooch
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Personally i'd rather a defender whose primary attribute was defending.

Who do you think we're going to sign, Chiellini?

CharlieCPFC
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
In other words, pretty much accept relegation this time around and plan for a promotion push from the Championship in a years time?

You talk of short termism, but surely trying to stay up would represent long termism in terms of strengthening the squad, rebuilding the ground, making the academy even better, building our support, developing young players? If that means signing older more experienced players now to achieve that then that's what we should do.

No that wasn't in other words.

What I mean is to sign players who will have a re-sale value and who would be here for 2 years+ no matter what league we're in. I have no problems in getting older experienced players whatsoever, as long as they are on low wages and a low transfer fee.

There's no point in signing someone 28-29 for a good few million on 25k+ a year as it won't do us any favours. Because if we go down and we have these players on our hands we're fvcked. We'll be losing money and there's no guarantee older experienced players on big money can keep us up anyway.

The likes of Killgallon and Thomas etc are fine. But trying to sign Parker, Defoe and Bent like some have suggested on here should be a massive no go.

People talk about Swansea and West Ham being the model to follow, but for me West Brom should be way we go about things. They've built their team gradually and assembled a squad for the long term.

orp pisshead1
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
No that wasn't in other words.

What I mean is to sign players who will have a re-sale value and who would be here for 2 years+ no matter what league we're in. I have no problems in getting older experienced players whatsoever, as long as they are on low wages and a low transfer fee.
There's no point in signing someone 28-29 for a good few million on 25k+ a year as it won't do us any favours. Because if we go down and we have these players on our hands we're fvcked. We'll be losing money and there's no guarantee older experienced players on big money can keep us up anyway.
The likes of Killgallon and Thomas etc are fine. But trying to sign Parker, Defoe and Bent like some have suggested on here should be a massive no go.
People talk about Swansea and West Ham being the model to follow, but for me West Brom should be way we go about things. They've built their team gradually and assembled a squad for the long term.

Spot on, and it's about balance for everything. It's not about accepting relegation but fact is we'll start favourites for drop so common sense tells you to plan ahead incl building squad to get us straight back up.

glaziers fan
15-08-2013, 02:32 PM
We need a centre back. Can we resurrect this one?

I've given up on us signing skill - we can't/couldn't afford Redmond, Ince, Sinclair, Townsend etc. I'm resigned to the fact that we're not going to replace Zaha. So let's become a threat from corners and free-kicks instead, and sign Dawson and Bendtner! :)

CharlieCPFC
15-08-2013, 08:41 PM
We need a centre back. Can we resurrect this one?

I've given up on us signing skill - we can't/couldn't afford Redmond, Ince, Sinclair, Townsend etc. I'm resigned to the fact that we're not going to replace Zaha. So let's become a threat from corners and free-kicks instead, and sign Dawson and Bendtner! :)

I'm really worried about our choices in defence. I'd love this to happen, we need him and another center back to give ourselves the best chance of staying up.

eagle101
15-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Bolton apparently looking to take him on loan again. I think he'd be a great signing.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2013/08/03/west-brom-ace-craig-dawson-on-bolton-radar/

Corporal Jones
15-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm really worried about our choices in defence. I'd love this to happen, we need him and another center back to give ourselves the best chance of staying up.

My thoughts also.

Really feel we need a new partnership in central defence. For me, the back four is where you should start building from. Speroni and Ward are both up to it but the same, unfortunately, cannot be said for the rest of the back line.

CharlieCPFC
15-08-2013, 08:52 PM
My thoughts also.

Really feel we need a new partnership in central defence. For me, the back four is where you should start building from. Speroni and Ward are both up to it but the same, unfortunately, cannot be said for the rest of the back line.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=11221404&postcount=12

Very strange, at the same time on another thready!

But again, 100% this. Speroni and Ward are well up to it at this level IMO, the rest I'm not so sure about.

glaziers fan
12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
bump. think he'd be perfect for us for scoring from set-pieces. Maybe a bit short for Pulis though. Worth a bid if we miss out on Dann?

DARZET EAGLE
12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
bump. think he'd be perfect for us for scoring from set-pieces. Maybe a bit short for Pulis though. Worth a bid if we miss out on Dann?

Good shout GF,but probably been confined to nearly but never bin.

Harry Bassett
13-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Why have none of the big clubs tried for Craig Dawson..........NO pace!

davematt
13-01-2014, 01:50 PM
He'd make Delaney & Gabbidon look quick...

DARZET EAGLE
13-01-2014, 02:26 PM
He'd make Delaney & Gabbidon look quick...

No he wouldn't.

davematt
13-01-2014, 02:32 PM
No he wouldn't.

Have you seen him play?

I watched him in the summer at the Under 21 European Championship, and he was rather poor. His lack of pace really did show up. We need to start defending higher up the pitch. Bringing in a centre back that is slower than what we already have wouldn't allow us to do that.

Whilst Scott Dann is no Usain Bolt, he'd certainly allow us to do that. Would be a better for for what we need IMO.

CharlieCPFC
13-01-2014, 05:10 PM
One of my closest mates is Bolton through and through and knows his stuff, he said Dawson was the reason they was so solid at the back and leaked hardly any goals. Their defensive record when Dawson was in the side speaks volumes, I watched him against Charlton last season and he was superb. One dodgy european tournament doesn't make you a bad player.

davematt
13-01-2014, 05:16 PM
One of my closest mates is Bolton through and through and knows his stuff, he said Dawson was the reason they was so solid at the back and leaked hardly any goals. Their defensive record when Dawson was in the side speaks volumes, I watched him against Charlton last season and he was superb. One dodgy european tournament doesn't make you a bad player.

Don't get me wrong, Dawson is a good player, but we need a centre back with some pace. If we bought in a quicker centre back AND Dawson I'd be incredibly happy, but it would be tough to just bring him in considering what we already have.

CharlieCPFC
13-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, Dawson is a good player, but we need a centre back with some pace. If we bought in a quicker centre back AND Dawson I'd be incredibly happy, but it would be tough to just bring him in considering what we already have.

I can't imagine him being slower than Delaney, he's definitely better on the ball and reads the game well for somebody of his age. I think it would be a great investment, particularly with England's center backs being short in quality for the next 10-15 years. If he can assert himself now and get in that England team his stock will rise massively.

It all depends on the way Pulis wants to play, I agree I'd like to see us defend higher up the pitch and press more aggressively, but Pulis' sides at Stoke always defended deep with Huth and Shawcross. And in all fairness they had a solid defensive record.

Lombardo's hair
13-01-2014, 06:16 PM

If that was the case there would be a lot of england players on the scrap heap!

David of Kent
13-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Dawson = This decades Gary Bennett

FromSelhurst
13-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I can't imagine him being slower than Delaney, he's definitely better on the ball and reads the game well for somebody of his age. I think it would be a great investment, particularly with England's center backs being short in quality for the next 10-15 years. If he can assert himself now and get in that England team his stock will rise massively.

It all depends on the way Pulis wants to play, I agree I'd like to see us defend higher up the pitch and press more aggressively, but Pulis' sides at Stoke always defended deep with Huth and Shawcross. And in all fairness they had a solid defensive record.

Dawson will never play for England.

SilentAssassin
13-01-2014, 06:59 PM

He may not be the fastest but he showed exactly what we are lacking in having a pact out and out winger to balance out the side with Bolasie on the other wing. The Spurs full back couldn't keep up with him and if it wasn't for his lack of being a right winger he would of torn a hole down Spurs left side.

Double D is a good player. He may not be Premier League standard but I can't help but love his commitment and passion.

AJ
13-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Delaney is only slow running back towards his own goal, he ran half the length of the pitch at Spuds, leaving their players in his wake :o

CharlieCPFC
13-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Dawson will never play for England.

He's already represented the under 21's. He's still very young, center backs tend to peak at later ages. Look at Jagielka.

DARZET EAGLE
13-01-2014, 10:45 PM
He's already represented the under 21's. He's still very young, center backs tend to peak at later ages. Look at Jagielka.

Agree, after a series of management changes at Spuds his career has faltered. A new club at this stage in his career could provide the spark to push on. Six goals in fifteen England U 21 appearances show his potential and at 23 and 6' 2" he would fit Pulis' profile. Much better than Hudson also rumoured to be of interest to us.

DARZET EAGLE
13-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Agree, after a series of management changes at Spuds his career has faltered. A new club at this stage in his career could provide the spark to push on. Six goals in fifteen England U 21 appearances show his potential and at 23 and 6' 2" he would fit Pulis' profile. Much better than Hudson also rumoured to be of interest to us.

Sorry meant West Brom and Bolton:clown:

FromSelhurst
13-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Jagielka was always a decent player, Dawson has never been.

He would go totally unnoticed had he not popped up with a few goals.

Friskey
09-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I hope that we're keeping an eye on this one.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-reject-bid-7236374

TheCharmer
09-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Where's the link ?

Aaroncpfc
10-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I was really impressed with his loan spell at Bolton. With the right training I think we could develop a very good defender in Dawson.

CharlieCPFC
21-07-2014, 10:56 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/9389412/transfer-news-burnley-planning-new-bid-for-west-broms-craig-dawson

IF the Caulker deal doesn't go through, then we should be turning our attentions to this one IMO. I think he's very much a center half in the Pulis mould, hardworking, solid in the air, times his tackles well and has a good attitude with a good height. He would work very well with Scott Dann which is a partnership right there for years to come. Not to forget his value will only increase due to his age and nationality (sadly). With the lack of real quality English center backs coming through, under Pulis he has a good chance to get a few caps at least.

CPFC_Fan
21-07-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/9389412/transfer-news-burnley-planning-new-bid-for-west-broms-craig-dawson

IF the Caulker deal doesn't go through, then we should be turning our attentions to this one IMO. I think he's very much a center half in the Pulis mould, hardworking, solid in the air, times his tackles well and has a good attitude with a good height. He would work very well with Scott Dann which is a partnership right there for years to come. Not to forget his value will only increase due to his age and nationality (sadly). With the lack of real quality English center backs coming through, under Pulis he has a good chance to get a few caps at least.

Great suggestion. This was a signing I had hoped we'd make the start of last season so to have him now with our financial status secure for the foreseeable future makes sense. Young, tall CB who can boss strikers on his day.

joe walker
21-07-2014, 11:26 AM
He's 24 and will want games, but whether he gets that depends on the situation that has emerged at West Brom with Joleon Lescott.

If Lescott leaves already as rumoured then Dawson may well play a big part in their season. If not, he's competing alongside Olsson (vice-captain) and McAuley for the other place.

WarnockLeg
21-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Didn't he hand in a transfer request? If Caulker falls through then I'd want him or Lascelles. Surely he'd choose us over Burnley?!

Ralph
21-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Wouldn't mind this to be honest.

Mate of mine is a journo for The Sentinel and says we might make a move for Palacios now his moves fallen through.

CharlieCPFC
21-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Didn't he hand in a transfer request? If Caulker falls through then I'd want him or Lascelles. Surely he'd choose us over Burnley?!

Things that kill us are either a) More established PL clubs i.e Swansea and b) Clubs who are prepared to offer ridiculous wages i.e QPR. Burnley fortunately, can't outdo us in neither of these.

TC EAGLE
21-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't mind this to be honest.

Mate of mine is a journo for The Sentinel and says we might make a move for Palacios now his moves fallen through.

Palacios failed his medical .................http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Wilson-Palacios-Qatar/story-21666496-detail/story.html

Ralph
21-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Palacios failed his medical .................http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Wilson-Palacios-Qatar/story-21666496-detail/story.html

Yes. Although the argument is he's unfit, not an underlying condition.

Gathers54
21-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes. Although the argument is he's unfit, not an underlying condition.

Yes but if a player isn't fit, when you have recently been to a world cup with your country, then there is an underlying reason and i think we should steer clear.

Mad Raschic Ken
21-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Yes but if a player isn't fit, when you have recently been to a world cup with your country, then there is an underlying reason and i think we should steer clear.

Probably got sore feet from kicking people.

Ralph
21-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Don't doubt it. Looked good at Wigan mind.

As I said, came from a mate who works for the Sentinel but he's text me a lot of crap in the past. Was right on Warnock (joining), Holloway (joining) and Holloway (leaving).

spt1978
21-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Burnley have had a few bids rejected for Dawson.

Is he actually any better than DD?

Will S
21-07-2014, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure Caulker particularly had a better season last year than DD - but both Dawson and Caulker are younger, and I guess we have to look to the future...

Aaroncpfc
21-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Based on his Bolton loan spell of nurtured properly Dawson could have big sell on value.

Harry Bassett
21-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Decent footballer but a lack of pace is his fatal flaw...better going forward than defending.

Jim Cannon
21-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Burnley have had a few bids rejected for Dawson.

Bet he would turn them down anyway

Quipton
21-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Would be a good signing methinks.

cpfcfan1
21-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Hes shit

CharlieCPFC
21-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Hes shit

To be fair your track record says you haven't got the best record of judging a player's ability. Only a year ago you said Caulker was "Way over priced at 9 mil but they got the money to spend so they can"

Only a month ago you then said he would be a very good signing...

16eagles
21-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Hes shit

I agree.

Its this obsession with youth which gets me!
Most Center backs peak normally 28 plus we should be going for someone around that age IMO.

I'm hoping he goes for a Shawcross or Huth at end of window personally!

CharlieCPFC
21-07-2014, 07:16 PM
I agree.

Its this obsession with youth which gets me!
Most Center backs peak normally 28 plus we should be going for someone around that age IMO.

I'm hoping he goes for a Shawcross or Huth at end of window personally!

Wishful thinking, no chance are we going to be spunking 50K+ on wages a week.

JAS78
21-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Needs another run of games in the championship imo

PJJY
21-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Name crops up on here during every window for the last few years - don't understand why people rate him so highly? Why would WBA sell if he's such a prospect?

Has looked no more than average the handful of times I've seen him.

FansAbroadLLC
21-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Name crops up on here during every window for the last few years - don't understand why people rate him so highly? Why would WBA sell if he's such a prospect?

Barring those five times you've seen him, he has probably been world class though.

BBK
22-07-2014, 09:54 AM
They've signed Wisdom on loan for the season.

I think Dawson would be a great signing for a couple of million. Scores goals too which would be useful.

Danny boy
22-07-2014, 09:55 AM

:p

spt1978
22-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Still not sure how good he actually is, does not seemed to have done much to earn the high rating people give him.

He is 24 now so you have expected him to have done something.

Latvian Eagle
22-07-2014, 10:25 AM
He played for Team GB. :o

spt1978
22-07-2014, 10:28 AM
He played for Team GB. :o

Oh right.

Quipton
22-07-2014, 10:39 AM
It's about the physical attributes of the player, and CD fits these criterium. Pulis can install the mental side of his game into him to get him part of our team/style - as long as the player wants to listen.

davematt
22-07-2014, 10:45 AM
He is a good player.

However.

He is very slow. Him and Scott Dann would be a VERY slow partnership and if we have any plans to defend a little higher up the pitch this season, we will need someone alongside Dann who offers more in the pace department.

orp pisshead1
22-07-2014, 10:48 AM

He is average, not rated at all by a lot of the Hawthorns faithful.

CharlieCPFC
22-07-2014, 11:03 AM
He is average, not rated at all by a lot of the Hawthorns faithful.

How can they seriously judge a player who has played only 21 games since 2010 for the club? He played 16 games in the space of just over three months, and was massively rated by Bolton fans. For a club like Burnley who are very shrewd to be offering 3M for Dawson must indicate something.

kolinkins
22-07-2014, 11:04 AM
How can they seriously judge a player who has played only 21 games since 2010 for the club? He played 16 games in the space of just over three months, and was massively rated by Bolton fans. For a club like Burnley who are very shrewd to be offering 3M for Dawson must indicate something.

Maybe there is a reason he has only played 21 games for them in 4 years?

Rated by Bolton fans when they were in the Championship

and Burnley are putting together a squad for the Championship

I have no idea if Dawson is wanted by Palace, but if we signed him, I'd back TP to improve him

CharlieCPFC
22-07-2014, 11:07 AM
He is a good player.

However.

He is very slow. Him and Scott Dann would be a VERY slow partnership and if we have any plans to defend a little higher up the pitch this season, we will need someone alongside Dann who offers more in the pace department.

This is true, and I would love to see us defend slightly higher this coming season. However, I assumed this was dependent on us getting some quality signings in capable of retaining possession which wouldn't leave us exposed to getting done on the counter. Having missed out on Sigurdsson which I assumed was a big part of these plans things could change.

BBK
22-07-2014, 11:38 AM
I'd love to hear a realistic player we could sign instead of Craig Dawson. Please don't say Michael Dawson or Caulker because we have little to no chance of signing these type of players.

Remember the last CB we signed that people had a poor opinion of, Scott Dann.

orp pisshead1
22-07-2014, 11:50 AM

I have no idea if Dawson is wanted by Palace, but if we signed him, I'd back TP to improve him

Very true on last point.

100% Palace
22-07-2014, 11:52 AM

and before him that Ipswich reject, Delaney.

orp pisshead1
22-07-2014, 11:54 AM

21 games still enough games imo as K say's there's probably a reason he's played so little. Burnley are preparing for season after.

CharlieCPFC
22-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Maybe there is also a reason they have been very keen on keeping him in recent years. If he wasn't fancied West Brom would have got rid by now, and for less than 3M.

To stick a 21/22 year old center half at the time at the heart of their defence was always going to be a gamble, especially whilst they were trying to establish themselves. And particularly one with hardly any PL experience. He's played for the under 21's during this time and GB in the Olympics. He has ability, no doubt it.

CharlieCPFC
22-07-2014, 12:01 PM
21 games still enough games imo as K say's there's probably a reason he's played so little. Burnley are preparing for season after.

All these appearances were spread out over the four years. A center half can't look a world beater in these amount of games with no continuity. They need to develop a bond and understanding with another center half to get the best out of them. Something Dawson only really had at Bolton with Knight and at Rochdale.

Bolton's defensive record speaks volumes when he was in and out of the side...

orp pisshead1
22-07-2014, 12:21 PM
All these appearances were spread out over the four years. A center half can't look a world beater in these amount of games with no continuity. They need to develop a bond and understanding with another center half to get the best out of them. Something Dawson only really had at Bolton with Knight and at Rochdale.

Bolton's defensive record speaks volumes when he was in and out of the side...

Well i know enough baggies who've watched him live and have formed the opinion that he's ok/average no more than that and their opinion is enough. We'll have to agree to disagree:p.

WarnockLeg
22-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I'd love to hear a realistic player we could sign instead of Craig Dawson. Please don't say Michael Dawson or Caulker because we have little to no chance of signing these type of players.

Lascelles. He's rapid and a very good defender.

BBK
22-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Lascelles. He's rapid and a very good defender.

I like him too.