PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Sam Byram - Rumour (denied by Leeds)

croydonexile
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
With Joel Ward a shoe in for years to come, this one seems a little far fetched..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-transfers-sam-byram-2020455

Malarkey
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Play him on the left

AJ8
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Makes a cracking burger. Oh...

woz1974
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Joel Ward is the next England right back as Malarkey says put him as left back if he can play there,

Astrophical
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Sam Byram is a quality player, but the Mirror isn't the most reliable news source at all.

Woosie
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Supposedly he can play right-wing as well

gilesy14
02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Makes little sense - I'd be disappointed if Ward wasn't given a good crack at the Prem.

Would prefer Cresswell if we were to sign a full back.

Jono14
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Quality player, would be a brilliant signing. If he could play LB perfect.

Ward better though :p

Kirby
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Would be great having two players of that quality battling it out for the right-back spot.

Remember Joel can also play defensive midfield as well, and Byram's very good going forward, so they're both very versatile.

Gollum
02-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Ward to centre half....

woz1974
02-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Ok so that's
Sam Byram
Dwight Gayle
Jerome Thomas
Grant Holt
Jonjo Shelvey
Victor Moses, that's just the last few days all should be here by the end of the week and next week we can concentrate on getting Ronaldo:p

TheMexicanHorse
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I saw a lot of Byram last season, cracking player, he will go onto the Premiership level.

What I like about him is he does the basics, very, very well. He's not the type to go bombing up and down the right wing, but he can do the 'defence' side of the game very well. My highest praise is the fact you can watch a game and almost not notice him, because he very rarely makes mistakes and just gets on with his job.

I'd be delighted if we were to sign him but I can see more etablished clubs than us going in for him, he is that good a player.

joe walker
02-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I know he can't control all their content but given that GodstoneEagle is on The Mirror's sports writing team surely there has to be some substance in this and indeed any other of their Palace transfer stories?
Also feel like the Warnock recommendation would be too specific to fabricate.

Interesting target, check us out with all the (relatively) big money bids this week

Sceagle
02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Would be very impressed if its true.

foxinthebox
02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
id take him in an instant. cant believe he'd be less than £3m or so though

woz1974
02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Lets vote if you had to pick to play right back who would you go for?
me I would stick with Ward i can see him improving every year.

Sceagle
02-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Ward ball playing centre back and Byram right back? Seems possible...

Oli28
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Would be an incredible coup for us. Quality player.

I think that if he wants to leave Leeds (which I've heard he doesn't) then he'll move higher up than us. Weren't Man City very keen on him?

woz1974
02-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Would be an incredible coup for us. Quality player.

I think that if he wants to leave Leeds (which I've heard he doesn't) then he'll move higher up than us. Weren't Man City very keen on him?
Yes but to quote Holloway "stack um and rack um" he won't get a game that would be a bad move and end up being like Sinclair and Johnson.

sloworm
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
This is in both the Mirror (bid £2.5m) and Mail (£3m).
Another one to the list

Oli28
02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes but to quote Holloway "stack um and rack um" he won't get a game that would be a bad move and end up being like Sinclair and Johnson.
For sure.

Players don't normally care though when the big clubs come calling :rolleyes:

Still, it'd be very impressive if Holloway pulled this one off. Byram, Ward, Delaney and a new LB/Parr would be a solid back 4 to start the season.

Eagle96
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Ward started his career at CB and although I think he's a very good right-back (both sides to his game are extremely polished) and couldn't have possible got a better Clyne replacement, getting Byram would be great business.

Move Ward to CB alongside Delaney and what we have is a quick, ball-playing CB with an experienced, brave and dominant partner.

Seaside Eagle
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2354064/Crystal-Palace-make-3m-bid-leeds-right-Sam-Byram.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

El Kooch
02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
2.5-3 million
F THAT

Billyd
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Brilliant player but the position where we need it the least.

Sceagle
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Disagree. If ward gets injured, then what?

woz1974
02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Bang on.

eagle101
02-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Would love this to happen but can't help but feel it is agent talk to force the hands of bigger clubs.

Billyd
02-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Disagree. If ward gets injured, then what?

Ramage, Parr can play RB, KG :eek:

Can we really afford 2-3m on a back up right back?

kolinkins
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Bigger clubs have eyes on him.

Both he and ward can play in numerous positions. No harm having both

Sceagle
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Ramage, Parr can play RB, KG :eek:

Can we really afford 2-3m on a back up right back?

Ramage is embarrassing at RB. Parr was poor there too. And KG... Hmm. I'd rather have Byram in, and that allows Ward to play CB or be a back up CB. Gives us so many more better opinions!

FromSelhurst
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Has been linked with much bigger clubs and is a very good player.

Possibly someone who could be converted to right wing.

Billyd
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Ramage is embarrassing at RB. Parr was poor there too. And KG... Hmm. I'd rather have Byram in, and that allows Ward to play CB or be a back up CB. Gives us so many more better opinions!

Agree if Ward is injured we have a problem. Even with Jazz Richards, an actual right back, was terrible in comparison. Both have played other positions granted but both have 95% of their careers played at right back. I for one have never seen Joel Ward play anywhere but right back and Holloway hasnt played him anywhere else either. If we're spending 3m on someone ideally it should be to play them where they will perform best. Especially when they are moving up a division!

Think we need a left back much more.

lewisham eagle
03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Really good player. Not our number one priority but then if Ward gets injured I would worry who would step in.

brooklynlou
03-07-2013, 12:25 AM
We need a mobile CB. If the plan is to move Ward to the middle and anoint him our CB of the future then this move makes more sense.

elgin eagle
03-07-2013, 05:10 AM
This is in both the Mirror (bid £2.5m) and Mail (£3m).
Another one to the list

By the time it gets to the sun it will be 8.5 million :hmph:

Would be another cream of the championship type signings, and versatile too. Im in.

Liam_Palace
03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Would be an excellent piece of business! Fingers crossed. Can't see it happening though.

Lewarse
03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I recommended him in some older thread so I'm quite happy at the prospect of getting him - he's better than what we have at RB.

Leeds United Supporters Club Player of the Year - 2012/2013
Leeds United Players' Player of the Year - 2012/2013
Leeds United Young Player of the Year - 2012/2013
Leeds United Fans Player of the Year - 2012/2013

Not bad for a 19 year old.

N Herts Eagle
03-07-2013, 07:20 AM
If it has done one thing I do enjoy its upset loads of Leeds fans who rate his value a lot higher. Having a long memory good hate them still bear the scars from 76.

Nigelbrag
03-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Do we really need a player who is very similar to what we have (Ward) no doubt he is a very talented young player, but is sure to fetch far more than the amount stated, a club like us need to be prudent as to how we use funds and our priorities. A better option for us would be Tiendalli (spelling)? on a free, and money can then be used in other areas that need urgent strengthening.

No.16
03-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Ward certainly has the physique and aerial ability to be a good centre back. No doubting Byram's potential so would be a very interesting move.

CPFC_DAVE77
03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
We when we signed Joel Ward, his predominant position for Portsmouth had been RB, it was also where their fans said he excelled... I think there could be legs in this one.

davematt
03-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Don't be at all surprised to see Joel Ward playing centre back or alongside Jedi if this is true.

scro
03-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Could ward be overrated by the bbs? He played superbly at the tail end admittedly. He never looked a patch on clone for me though.

Jono14
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Could ward be overrated by the bbs? He played superbly at the tail end admittedly. He never looked a patch on clone for me though.

He looks just as good as Clyne.

Why is it on the BBS when we have a good player he's 'overrated'. Zaha, Bolasie, Speroni, Parr, Jedinak and now Ward ffs. People need to accept we have good players.

davematt
03-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Not for me.

He has all the attributes to be a top draw Premier League player.

Lords Eagle
03-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Quality English right back, very mobile, played every game last season (his 1st), basically our bright hope for the future Ė has never played on the wing but certainly has potential to do so. Man City were readying a £10m bid until Mancini got sacked, Everton, Villa and Liverpool also looking at him. It would be suicide for our new board to sell him for anything less than £7/8m so canít really imagine a scenario where we would do a deal for £2.5m, but with Leeds you never know!

917L
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Started poorly, dropped, but came back strongly

Potentially a better all round player than Clyne, but at the end of last season he was at least as good

Jasper
03-07-2013, 08:37 AM

I thought they were identical.

elgin eagle
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Do we really need a player who is very similar to what we have (Ward) no doubt he is a very talented young player, but is sure to fetch far more than the amount stated, a club like us need to be prudent as to how we use funds and our priorities. A better option for us would be Tiendalli (spelling)? on a free, and money can then be used in other areas that need urgent strengthening.

He and ward can play in other areas and we have only ramage who could play at right back in an emergency. I would say he would be a priority as well.

Sceagle
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I think Ward is a better all round player because he's stronger, taller and can win a header. It's close between them though. I think Clyne was so good because he was so young yet so good.

GreatGonzo
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
From wiki: (referenced to a Neil Redfern interview)

Bryam's style of play has been likened by many to that of Tottenham Hotspur's Welsh international Gareth Bale. Byram's running power from full back and his ability to create play from deeper areas, has meant he has become one of the focal points of Leeds United's attacking play.[32]

karl.eldridge
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 43s
Also told there is definite interest from #cpfc in Leeds right-back Sam Byram.

karl.eldridge
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 24s
Going back to Byram, led to believe that there has been no bid from #cpfc - yet. But likely to happen.

Hazzacpfc
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Would be a hell of a signing. Odd to be in for another right back when Ward looks so assured there, but Byram is top drawer.

Maybe we're looking at Byram playing further up the pitch?

Owngoal
03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Clyne started badly (for him) at Southampton but has been rated very highly by their fans once he really got going. He was a very natural and pacey player. We are extremely lucky that Ward appears to be really growing into the RB spot and when he was not there the team struggled. He will do very well for us. Ward has the height and ability to be a mobile central defender alongside more of a dominant 'hoofer' such as Delaney. Byram sounds as if he would be an investment worth making and would give us some quality options. Currently we do not have cover at RB of the right class and stop gap is not enough if we don't want an absence of fingernails all year long.

TheMexicanHorse
03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Would be a hell of a signing. Odd to be in for another right back when Ward looks so assured there, but Byram is top drawer.

Maybe we're looking at Byram playing further up the pitch?

I'd prefer Byram as right back and moving Ward into the centre.

Hell of a transfer if we pull this off - but if he does become available - certainly Leeds are currently operating a 'sell to buy' policy - as I said earlier I can see far more established clubs than us going in for him. Here's hoping mind!

Jono14
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
This would be such a good signing. Hope it doesn't force Ward out but can see Byram possibly playing LB should we get him of course.

Malarkey
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Still think he'd play left back with Ward staying at right back

GreatGonzo
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd prefer Byram as right back and moving Ward into the centre.

Hell of a transfer if we pull this off - but if he does become available - certainly Leeds are currently operating a 'sell to buy' policy - as I said earlier I can see far more established clubs than us going in for him. Here's hoping mind!

If Byram is an option at right Mid and Right Back (he could probably step into the middle of midfield as well) and Ward is an option for Right Back, and Centre Back and can step into CM, we have 2 players offering us good quality in 4 of the 7 outfield positions which is good going. You would have to fancy both to start given Ward's performance last year and the fact we would be buying Byram so which their starting positions are would be interesting to see.

A quality young player though so would be great if we can get him.

Stavros 69
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Shitty Mirror making up things again.

Gathers54
03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Ward can deliver a devastating cross so could even see him on the wing as well as CB. He's a top player but if he gets injured... Then we don't have anyone remotely as good in his position. Also, when he got injured last season it was clear we missed him at RB.

The young players we are being linked with is fantastic. It's clear we are trying to build for the future and not just a single season

Shoreditch CPFC
03-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't think this is odd at all. Look how much we suffered when Ward was injured last season. Ward is also versatile. He is young and has sell on value. Bringing in the best of the championship is exactly what we should be doing. Sign him up.

Crouchey21
03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Shitty Mirror making up things again.

And Rich Cawley?

Gathers54
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
And Rich Cawley?

As well as various other publications

GodstoneEagle
03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
This is gathering pace it seems. Would be an enormous coup (but will cost way more than £2.5m)

Cake and Eat It
03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I know its based on what-ifs and a mild bit of speculation, but Byram and Cresswell would allow us to pretty much sort out our defence.

I would play Byram Ward Delaney Creswell which would have pace, leadership and good ball players.

But, it'll never happen :)

elgin eagle
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I don't think this is odd at all. Look how much we suffered when Ward was injured last season. Ward is also versatile. He is young and has sell on value. Bringing in the best of the championship is exactly what we should be doing. Sign him up.

Money in the bank ;) With this tv deal, barring serious injury, all these young players values will only rise. Nice to get the odd freebie with experience as well like thomas mind.

Justin
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Would be a great signing but an awful lot of "bigger" clubs have been interested in him. From memory I think he signed a new long contract with the agreement if a good offer came in they would release him. But there are a lot of rumours that Leeds in real financial trouble.

Gathers54
03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Would be a great signing but an awful lot of "bigger" clubs have been interested in him. From memory I think he signed a new long contract with the agreement if a good offer came in they would release him. But there are a lot of rumours that Leeds in real financial trouble.

It was the same with Clyne though, linked to all these 'big' clubs but in the end it was newly promoted Southampton who signed him up.

rhynoeagle
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Wow. Easily one of our best players last season, out bad patch was when he and Garvan were injured. The man is class and when Jedinak moves on I can't look anywhere further than him to be the next Palace captain.

Big Blue Eagle
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I know its based on what-ifs and a mild bit of speculation, but Byram and Cresswell would allow us to pretty much sort out our defence.

I would play Byram Ward Delaney Creswell which would have pace, leadership and good ball players.

But, it'll never happen :)

Cresswell seemingly on the move but is doing a Dowie - wanting to head back north

Cleon
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Why does everyoned assume that Ward can cut it in the Premiership as a centreback on the basis of having played very well at right back in the Championship?

Byram sounds like a good young player, nice to be linked to players like this.

rhynoeagle
03-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Why does everyoned assume that Ward can cut it in the Premiership as a centreback on the basis of having played very well at right back in the Championship?

Byram sounds like a good young player, nice to be linked to players like this.

Because he gained a lot of admirers when playing there in the Premier League.
Edit: didn't see the centre back part :clown:

Malarkey
03-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Overrated like Bolasie apparently is?

kolinkins
03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I doubt we will sign him; think bigger fish than us will come in (probably later than us).

But IF we could sign him, I see no issue in having him AND Ward. Two young, versatile footballers. Ward can play right-back, centre-back and central midfield. Byram can play in both full-back positions and wide.

Certainly room for both in our squad.

mb23
03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Byram. More than good enough defence , with Ramage, Paddy, Parr and Moxey for cover. Youth and experience.

GreatGonzo
03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Byram. More than good enough defence , with Ramage, Paddy, Parr and Moxey for cover. Youth and experience.

Why put a RB at LB when you have 2 LB's already? The fact he is a good RB doesn't mean he will be any good at LB, different positions.

EagleSE24
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Would be a brilliant signing if it came off. The fact that we might even be putting a bid in for a young, talented player like Byram is very exciting. Can't wait to see what our squad looks like by the end of August.

917L
03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Because he gained a lot of admirers when playing there in the Premier League.

He's only every played 3 Premier league games

1 start and 2 sub appearances

rhynoeagle
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
He's only every played 3 Premier league games

1 start and 2 sub appearances

Apologies. Had it in my mind he played around 10-15!

Billyd
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Ward can play right-back, centre-back and central midfield.

Dunno about you but went to nearly every game last season and didnt see Ward play anywhere but right back. Have you ever actually seen him play elsewhere?

Granted during Pompeys trouble he had to play the odd game as centre back and in midfield, but was mainly because they were in admin and their squad was thread bare. Have you seen what Pompey fans say about his performances at centre back?

Hes a right back and wants to play right back and was one of the reasons he joined Palace.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/updated_joel_ward_chose_crystal_palace_over_ipswic h_town_for_football_reasons_1_1388745

Especially surprised it coming from you as yesterday you were pretty pedantic Shelvey couldn't/shouldn't play CM alongside Jedi!

As for Byron dont enough about it him position wise but if he can play on the wing or left back then sounds like a good purchase. When I saw him he looked quality but as you say will be much competition for his signature so cant see it happening.

Benzhiyi
03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
McDermott was asked directly about this today.

His response: "[£3m?] For which boot?"

Tells you all you need to know regarding the legitimacy of the story.

kolinkins
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Dunno about you but went to nearly every game last season and didnt see Ward play anywhere but right back. Have you ever actually seen him play elsewhere?

Granted during Pompeys trouble he had to play the odd game as centre back and in midfield, but was mainly because they were in admin and their squad was thread bare. Have you seen what Pompey fans say about his performances at centre back?

Hes a right back and wants to play right back and was one of the reasons he joined Palace.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/updated_joel_ward_chose_crystal_palace_over_ipswic h_town_for_football_reasons_1_1388745

Especially surprised it coming from you as yesterday you were pretty pedantic Shelvey couldn't/shouldn't play CM alongside Jedi!

As for Byron dont enough about it him position wise but if he can play on the wing or left back then sounds like a good purchase. When I saw him he looked quality but as you say will be much competition for his signature so cant see it happening.

I said "can play" not should play.

Holloway himself said when Ward came back from injury that he can see him being used away from right-back when he is more experienced.

Not that this will happen with Ward/Byram, but a load of Spurs fans didn't think Bale could be used wide left and Redknapp himself said his long term position is left-back. Where is he used now? In the bloody hole!

Dan A
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
He was asked about the possibility of a 3m bid. Still doesn't mean we're not interested though and may make a bid soon

EagleSE24
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM

First rule of negotiation. Never accept the first offer. Unless you're Seth Johnson.

GodstoneEagle
03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Selling Byram for £3m would be like selling Zaha for £4m when West Ham came knocking.

Benzhiyi
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
First rule of negotiation. Never accept the first offer. Unless you're Seth Johnson.

We shouldn't be bidding £3m (or even £3) for a right-back given the weaknesses elsewhere in the side.

We're set at GK, RB, and DM. It's the eight other positions we need to worry about improving, and there are limited funds with which to do so. A back-up right back should be a long way down our list of priorities, particularly as Blake and Parr can both fill in there.

As such, I'd be astonished if there was any element of truth to the Byram rumour.

wedgetail
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM

To be fair, he wouldn't be making the decision.

kolinkins
03-07-2013, 02:59 PM
We shouldn't be bidding £3m (or even £3) for a right-back given the weaknesses elsewhere in the side.

We're set at GK, RB, and DM. It's the eight other positions we need to worry about improving, and there are limited funds with which to do so. A back-up right back should be a long way down our list of priorities, particularly as Blake and Parr can both fill in there.

As such, I'd be astonished if there was any element of truth to the Byram rumour.

One of the first players we spoke to was a right back

AJ
03-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Selling Byram for £3m would be like selling Zaha for £4m when West Ham came knocking.

not really...defenders and forwards values are so much different.

MrKAF
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Genuinely baffled as to why some people think we don't need a right back, Parr is not good enough at rb, I dread to think what KG or Ramage would be like at rb in the prem.

Think some people are undervaluing how important full backs are, especially with most teams playing a 4-3-3 formation.

I appreciate we need to cover other areas, but if we have a solid defence then we don't /limit our conceding of goals, then push on from there. I'm not saying we should go for Byram although i do rate him but we definitely do need to get someone else in.

pap
03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Genuinely baffled as to why some people think we don't need a right back, Parr is not good enough at rb, I dread to think what KG or Ramage would be like at rb in the prem.

Think some people are undervaluing how important full backs are, especially with most teams playing a 4-3-3 formation.

I appreciate we need to cover other areas, but if we have a solid defence then we don't /limit our conceding of goals, then push on from there. I'm not saying we should on for Byram although i do rate him but we definitely do need to get someone else in.

Good post!

Harry Holmesdale
03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Joel to be a centre back perhaps?

Duke
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Who was that out of interest? Simpson? Is he a right back?

Chris K
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Genuinely baffled as to why some people think we don't need a right back

Exactly, 2 players for every position + 3 keepers = 25

JAS78
03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
We do definitely need another RB

Can't see us signing this one, aren't leeds now backed by wealthy owners. No need to sell

Billyd
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Doesnt mean its right or who we wanted the most. Could have just been a freebee who wont be available for long!

chav_hater
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
We could do with another RB but I can think of at least 2 positions where we need players more urgently - CB and wing. Would not be adverse to this for the right price, though.

scro
03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Overrated like Bolasie apparently is?

I am not sure what you are referring to. I rate Bolasie personally. I am not making a judgement on ward. He played well during the run in. I don't think I saw it over a long enough period to be as sure as many are. I am hopeful more than 100% sure.

Put it like this I also think parr is capable of the step up. However had you doubted that at the same stage in his palace career as ward now is, you would have got shouted down.. A season on and many are advocating signing a left back to play ahead of him because they feel he'll struggle.

DARZET EAGLE
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Sounds very useful player although I haven't seen him play. A highly rated right back who can slot into other positions, and is only 19 must be good thinking. If he is available we should swoop, we need quality cover and I like the idea of Ward playing centre half, to accomadate him.

Oli28
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
£8 million asking price apparently. Can't see us going for it, but if we did I think it'd be a sound investment as well as a quality player.

mylona
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
£8 million asking price apparently. Can't see us going for it, but if we did I think it'd be a sound investment as well as a quality player.

£8m we could buy Clyne back for that.

Corporal Jones
03-07-2013, 06:38 PM

They know they won't get that much for him. They're a haggling, innit.

Oli28
03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
They know they won't get that much for him. They're a haggling, innit.
There is definitely some truth in this, but he's the hottest prospect they've had in a long time (according to the Leeds fans I know, of which there are a fair few). I don't think they're in any hurry to cash in at all.

GodstoneEagle
03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Amazing to see how Palace fans are talking about Byram when they got so snotty and upset with other fans saying precisely the same things about Zaha six months ago.

mylona
03-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Amazing to see how Palace fans are talking about Byram when they got so snotty and upset with other fans saying precisely the same things about Zaha six months ago.

That's totally different.

Corporal Jones
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
There is definitely some truth in this, but he's the hottest prospect they've had in a long time (according to the Leeds fans I know, of which there are a fair few). I don't think they're in any hurry to cash in at all.

He'll go if Palace or another club make a decent offer for him.

Seaside Eagle
03-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Byram is a very good right back with lots of potential. Zaha has the potential to be a truly world class player.

While I agree that Palace fans are confused about Byram's value, he can't be compared to Wilfried in terms of ability.

Harry Holmesdale
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
How can you compare a fullback to a skilful right winger?

Corporal Jones
03-07-2013, 07:15 PM

What do you think Byram's worth?, GE.

Whilst I think he is worth more than the £2.5/£3 million quoted in the press , don't think he is currently worth as much as £8 million.

For the record, never got upset when other fans were significantly devaluing CPFC'S £20 million valuation of Wilf :p

pardew's shorts
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
As an aside, I often have a glance at the Mirror's gossip section - I think they must have the worst strike rate of any paper when it comes to transfers.

Corporal Jones
03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Byram is a very good right back with lots of potential. Zaha has the potential to be a truly world class player.

While I agree that Palace fans are confused about Byram's value, he can't be compared to Wilfried in terms of ability.

Interested to know what you think Byram's value is.

I'd say £5 million upfront plus £500k add ons would be fair.

Then again, what do I know?. Nothing :D

Nth Kent Eagle
03-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Would be a good addition to the squad.

Gathers54
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Interested to know what you think Byram's value is.

I'd say £5 million upfront plus £500k add ons would be fair.

Then again, what do I know?. Nothing :D

I'd agree, £5m will tempt them though I'm not sure we will be spending £5m on a defender.

Owngoal
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Add ons are the real meat for deals involving potential future internationals, but they sound as if they want something substantial up front. Could we part-exchange KG, Moxey and Ramage as part of a deal? Pound for pound, KG is an immense player!

Jono14
03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Do Leeds have a lot of money?

Genuine question, some times I hear they're loaded and others they're completely skint. Which is it?

Benzhiyi
03-07-2013, 07:45 PM

I appreciate we need to cover other areas, but if we have a solid defence then we don't /limit our conceding of goals, then push on from there. I'm not saying we should go for Byram although i do rate him but we definitely do need to get someone else in.

I don't dispute we should be in the market for a back-up, but at the right price. Which surely isn't £3m plus.

The Gerry Queen
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Do Leeds have a lot of money?

Genuine question, some times I hear they're loaded and others they're completely skint. Which is it?

They seem to have wealthy owners who are very reluctant to spend much. This story seems to have stirred up a wasps nest over at Jurrasic Elland Road. Lots of snotty stuff being said about us on their boards. Funny really. You wouldn't think that we have been a division higher than them for four of the last eight years :)

Corporal Jones
03-07-2013, 08:52 PM
They seem to have wealthy owners who are very reluctant to spend much. This story seems to have stirred up a wasps nest over at Jurrasic Elland Road. Lots of snotty stuff being said about us on their boards. Funny really. You wouldn't think that we have been a division higher than them for four of the last eight years :)

Yes, had a quick perusal of their forum earlier. Going by their condescending and derogatory comments about Palace, I think this speculation has upset the natives.

Jono14
03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
To be fair we were making similar comments when West Ham were interested in Zaha, Leeds fans have always been arrogant wankers though.

Jim Cannon
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Sounds very useful player although I haven't seen him play. A highly rated right back who can slot into other positions, and is only 19 must be good thinking. If he is available we should swoop, we need quality cover and I like the idea of Ward playing centre half, to accomadate him.

You are joking about ward playing CB surely? One of his strengths is his forward runs not to mention he hasn't played CB in championship let alone premier league. We can't be taking risks like that

Chris K
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
£8m or even for £5m would be insanity for a player in a position where we already have what you'd think would be a first choice. No one knows our budget for next season but you'd imagine anything more than £3m would put a dent in it when there's more pressing positions to be filled that I'd rather see chunkier amounts spent on

Steve in Phoenix
05-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Exactly, 2 players for every position + 3 keepers = 25

You want to have five keepers? :)

Did this Byram play against us at Selhurst? I dont remember him at all.

Liam_Palace
20-07-2013, 06:00 PM
@PhilHayYEP: In short, McDermott isn't getting anywhere in the transfer market and doesn't seem to have any money. Looks concerned. #lufc

Sam Byram is there they only real assist they could sell for a couple of million, maybe they will accept a decent bid? It's pretty clear we are in the market for another RB. Also Kieran Trippier of Burnley wasn't included in today's squad..

Ard
20-07-2013, 06:28 PM
@PhilHayYEP: In short, McDermott isn't getting anywhere in the transfer market and doesn't seem to have any money. Looks concerned. #lufc

Sam Byram is there they only real assist they could sell for a couple of million, maybe they will accept a decent bid? It's pretty clear we are in the market for another RB. Also Kieran Trippier of Burnley wasn't included in today's squad..

Agree that Byram would be a quality signing, but there is nothing in the Trippier rumour, he is just injured.

Sceagle
20-07-2013, 07:21 PM

I think Trippier is injured