PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Johan Elmander

Astrophical
26-07-2013, 09:27 AM
http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=4942

Not much else on him, but still wouldn't be a bad signing in my opinion.

Billyd
26-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Better than Cole. But must be getting on now? and would command a fee?

nathe
26-07-2013, 09:30 AM
He's 32. Good for a couple of Seasons

CrystalOrient
26-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Good player. He's 32 now but offers a lot of quality.

Wages might be an issue as even average Turkish clubs seem to pay quite a lot these days - see Moritz.

ForzaPalace
26-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Looking at his stats, I remember him being better than he actually is.

bigend1
26-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Would be a decent signing, probably better than cole. Seemingly a fee but not massive I wouldn't suspect, last year of contract and as that article says one of a high number of non Turkish player so they want rid. Wages probably the biggest problem

davematt
26-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Certainly fits the No 9 kind of forward that we need.

JAS78
26-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Decent player

Big Blue Eagle
26-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Always used to sign him on Football Manager in the past!

igl
26-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Probably on Big Bucks at Galatasary though!

sloworm
26-07-2013, 09:50 AM
If the terms are right, yes please

Stavros 69
26-07-2013, 09:51 AM
He was brilliant at Bolton

kolinkins
26-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Would be brilliant at holding ball up, bringing others into play and has a real touch of quality

Danny boy
26-07-2013, 10:00 AM
He was brilliant at Bolton

Largely he was terrible

CPFC_DAVE77
Is he that much better than Cole?

As far as I can work out he has had better career highs than Cole (goals in one season) but, as a Premier League player he was average at best.

Given the comparative money involved and that we know Cole will offer 'something' i'd say the Englishman is the much better option.

Alas, I suppose he isn't as fashionable as the exotic Swede...

mb23
Wages may be an issue but I'd be very happy with this. Definitely beer than Cole.

CPFC_DAVE77
Would be brilliant at holding ball up, bringing others into play and has a real touch of quality

Do you still have a poster of Scowcroft on your wall? ;)

HARRY MONK
26-07-2013, 10:01 AM
be a great signing

kolinkins
26-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Is he that much better than Cole?

As far as I can work out he has had better career highs than Cole, but, as Premier League player he was average at best.

Given the comparative money involved and that we know Cole will offer 'something' i'd say the Englishman is the much better option.

Alas, I suppose he isn't as fashionable as the exotic Swede...

Elmander is a better player than Cole. And I grew to not being against the Cole signing and seeing merit in it.

Similar career goal per game to Cole I think, but is more of an all-rounder.

And he's scored 19 goals for a decent international side.

What's the fascination for not rating players (and I include Cole in this) who have spent most of their career at the top level?

Windsor_Eagle

Perhaps why stats usually mean the square root of **** all?

PauLo
Career stats according to Wiki (yeah yeah, I know)...

Carlton Cole - 75 goals in 325 apps
Johan Elmander - 115 goals in 444 apps

Stats wise, not that different. Cole is younger too. Elmander probably edges it though.

I know nothing about players outside Palace though, so who knows.

CaterhamEagle
26-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Was linked to Hull recently - £400k fee.

If there's any truth in this and the wages are right, he would fit into what we need perfectly imho.

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Elmander is a better player than Cole. And I grew to not being against the Cole signing and seeing merit in it.

Similar career goal per game to Cole I think, but is more of an all-rounder.

And he's scored 19 goals for a decent international side.

What's the fascination for not rating players (and I include Cole in this) who have spent most of their career at the top level?

I don't have any problem with players who play at the top level, I have problem with players who seemingly rated because the are foreign. Moritz was a classic example.

Elmander has had a solid career for some big(ish) clubs. Last time he was in England he was shocking, Bolton did well despite him not because of him.

If we sign him, i'd get behind him as look for the positives, but I would not be going out of my way to sign him were I in IH's position.

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Carlton Cole - 75 goals in 325 apps
Johan Elmander - 115 goals in 444 apps

Stats wise, not that different. Cole is younger too. Elmander probably edges it though.

Mind if I ask why?

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Perhaps why stats usually mean the square root of **** all?

I know where you are coming from, but it isn't fair to dismiss stats as worthless.

kolinkins
26-07-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't have any problem with players who play at the top level, I have problem with players who seemingly rated because the are foreign. Moritz was a classic example.

Elmander has had a solid career for some big(ish) clubs. Last time he was in England he was shocking, Bolton did well despite him not because of him.

If we sign him, i'd get behind him as look for the positives, but I would not be going out of my way to sign him were I in IH's position.

I don't rate him because he is foreign, I rate him because he is a decent player. He's done well at good clubs at a high level and for his national side.

Didn't Bolton go down the season after he left?

He certainly grew into his own there and think you are being needlessly harsh

Windsor_Eagle
26-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I know where you are coming from, but it isn't fair to dismiss stats as worthless.

Perhaps not entirely worthless, but where people remember a player as being good and one they'd like to sign only to be put off by stats is just daft.

Case in point, look at how awesome Jonny Williams is. Now go and look up his stats.

Stavros 69
26-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I never understood why Bolton let him go?

CrystalOrient
26-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Definitely beer than Cole.

Yep, I prefer beer, too. ;)

Danny boy
26-07-2013, 10:16 AM
He's a decent player but why are targeting a 32 year old striker who will want to be paid considerably more than can offer ?

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't rate him because he is foreign, I rate him because he is a decent player. He's done well at good clubs at a high level and for his national side.

Didn't Bolton go down the season after he left?

He certainly grew into his own there and think you are being needlessly harsh

If Cole and Elmander have a similar record, i'd say it is more impressive that Cole scores in weaker teams than Elmander scoring for big clubs in Turkey and France.

Where would you expect to score more goals, West Ham or Toulouse and Galatasaray?

He cost Bolton £10 million - returned 18 goals - I don't see that needlessly harsh, I see it as a disaster.

Bolton went down for a collection of reasons that you are fully aware of.

To name but a few, the illness to Muamba, the change in style of play, the fact that they had overachieved, the injury to Holden etc.

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Perhaps not entirely worthless, but where people remember a player as being good and one they'd like to sign only to be put off by stats is just daft.

Case in point, look at how awesome Jonny Williams is. Now go and look up his stats.

Again, I get your point, but in Williams' case, is he awesome, or does he have the potential to be awesome?

kolinkins
26-07-2013, 10:23 AM
If Cole and Elmander have a similar record, i'd say it is more impressive that Cole socres in weaker teams than Elmander scoring for big clubs in Turkey and Spain.

Where would you expect to score more goals, West Ham or Toulouse and Galatasaray?

He cost Bolton £10 million - returned 18 goals - I don't see that needlessly harsh, I see it as a disaster.

Bolton went down for a collection of reasons that you are fully aware of.

To name but a few, the illness to Muamba, the change in style of play, the fact that they had overachieved, the injury to Holden etc.

As i said, I think there is more to Elmander's all round game than to Cole's, beyond goals.

The point about their relegation was that you said Bolton did well despite him yet it was only after he left that they went down!

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:26 AM
As i said, I think there is more to Elmander's all round game than to Cole's, beyond goals.

The point about their relegation was that you said Bolton did well despite him yet it was only after he left that they went down!

Sorry, I see what you mean...

I suppose we are never going to sign Van Persie, so Cole and Elmander are the type of players we are going to be linked with/look at and we'll all need to get behind them.

:p

Speporoni
26-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Decent player but again not a prolific goal scorer and that's what we need ..

kolinkins
26-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Sorry, I see what you mean...

I suppose we are never going to sign Van Persie, so Cole and Elmander are the type of players we are going to be linked with/look at and we'll all need to get behind them.

Indeed

Just tweeted a Bolton blogger, who said Elmander was useless for 2 years until they signed Holden and then he was lethal, their fans would have him back and also Hull want him.

maestro
26-07-2013, 10:31 AM

You wont get a prolific goalscorer on palaces transfer or wage budget, we'll need to take a gamble on someone.

W Malling Eagle
26-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Again, I get your point, but in Williams' case, is he awesome, or does he have the potential to be awesome?

He is awesome already. IMO, of course. And with the potential to be even better.

In terms of the Elmander vs Cole debate, the one thing Cole brings is Prem experience. I really think we need more of that, we lacked it last time we were up and it cost us. Only Thomas appears to have a decent amount of experience in the PL, it would be good to get in a couple more.

The Gerry Queen
26-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Gayle is going to be our prolific goal scorer along with Murray. We need someone with prem experience to fill the gap until Glenn is back and back to his best... the best part of a season. Elmander is good enough and fits the bill

Billyd
26-07-2013, 10:37 AM
From what I remeber he was quality on his day but inconsistent. Wasnt he really good in his last season for Bolton? Seem to remeber Bolton fans thinking he put more in when his contract was nearly up.

Probably not the sort of player I was hoping for but on short term deal I can see the benefits.

Either way I dont suppose to many of us have seen him play the past couple of years...

jcreedy
26-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I get him and Klasnic mixed up. Wasn't Klasnic better for Bolton?

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I get him and Klasnic mixed up. Wasn't Klasnic better for Bolton?

Different plaers, Klasnic more used as a sub but looked to have more energy than Elmander (not a criticism of Elamander, he is a bigger player.) Klasnic had the heart condition that meant he took risks to play football.

I think most football fans prefer players like Klasnic, but whether he actually contributed more to Bolton overall is doubtful.

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Either way I dont suppose to many of us have seen him play the past couple of years...

No one has, he's made about eight apps in Turkey.

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Gayle is going to be our prolific goal scorer along with Murray. We need someone with prem experience to fill the gap until Glenn is back and back to his best... the best part of a season. Elmander is good enough and fits the bill

That is going to be very interesting to see, one way or another.

Billyd
26-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Gayle is going to be our prolific goal scorer

The expectation on this lad really worries me.

pardew's shorts
26-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Scored one of my favourite ever goals:

gWUyim2lsrk

As did Carlton Cole:

FgQA9wmzZqw

CPFC_DAVE77
26-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Indeed

Just tweeted a Bolton blogger, who said Elmander was useless for 2 years until they signed Holden and then he was lethal, their fans would have him back and also Hull want him.

Sounds better than I made out then, for which I apologise.

It's a shame he hasn't played much for Gala from a fitness point of view.

Big Fella
26-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I seem to remember him missing sitters in every game. Sounds like a typical Palace forward!

Sceagle
26-07-2013, 10:49 AM
He showed signs of class when at Bolton and I used to like him when he was there. But attitude and wages :rolleyes:

917L
26-07-2013, 10:53 AM
No one has, he's made about eight apps in Turkey.

Over 20 appearances last season

PauLo
26-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Mind if I ask why?

I know nothing about players outside Palace though, so who knows.

Mickey Gilley
26-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Sounds good to me, but surely wages will stop it happening.

New LP
26-07-2013, 12:17 PM
as above, the sort we need, but we aren't going to pay the wages needed.

Gathers54
26-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Largely he was terrible

:S:

That's why bolton finished in the top 10 and then got relegated when he left the club.

Celestial Empire
26-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I seem to remember him missing sitters in every game. Sounds like a typical Palace forward!

Spot on for me.
When people talk about "his contribution to Bolton" do they mean his contribution to getting them relegated ?
Kevin Davies was even older, but twice the player.
BTW, Elmander was equally crap for Sweden, even playing with Ibrahimovic.

917L
26-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Spot on for me.
When people talk about "his contribution to Bolton" do they mean his contribution to getting them relegated ?
Kevin Davies was even older, but twice the player.

They were relegated the season AFTER he left

And Kevin Davies twice the player, laughable

zonin2000
26-07-2013, 12:45 PM

41 league appearances for Palace, zero goals, three assists.

:vader:

JAS78
26-07-2013, 12:51 PM
41 league appearances for Palace, zero goals, three assists.

:vader:

what happened to his league cup goal v wigan

zonin2000
26-07-2013, 12:59 PM
what happened to his league cup goal v wigan

I think that was in the League Cup.

NateEagle
26-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Im usually very supportive of any potential signings but just cant get excited by the thought of this one...im obviously in a minority but from memory i recall him being pretty terrible. Happy to be proved wrong though.

JAS78
26-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Sceagle
26-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I think that was in the League Cup.

That's what he said...

JAS78
26-07-2013, 02:10 PM
That's what he said...

i mis read his post, he was quoting league appearances only

anyway confusion over.

ChaceTheAce
26-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Does anybody else thinks he looks exactly like Grant Holt?

Anyway, fantastic player, would love him to sign.

CrystalOrient
26-07-2013, 02:47 PM
He showed signs of class when at Bolton and I used to like him when he was there. But attitude and wages :rolleyes:

Is he rumoured to have attitude problems? Never heard that before.

I asked a few Galatasaray fans, they say he's on 1,8 Mio. Euros a year plus 10.000 Euros per game played. Not sure how they know.

Adlerhorst
26-07-2013, 02:50 PM

I asked a few Galatasaray fans, they say he's on 1,8 Mio. Euros a year plus 10.000 Euros per game played. Not sure how they know.In lots of countries precisely what sportsmen are paid is public knowledge. And when I say precisely I do mean precisely, for instance in the states you can generally find out how many flights home they get a year, the class of flights and all sorts.

Chickereagle
26-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Just Google his name and his (alleged) salary appears in a profile on the search page

Windsor_Eagle
26-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Yes. He is frickin' awesome:p

Now, write 'Jonny Williams is the best since Maradonna' 100 times and think about what you've considered:moo:

N Herts Eagle
26-07-2013, 03:08 PM
http://www.ajansspor.com/futbol/superlig/h/20130726/elmandere_yeni_talip.html?utm_campaign=elmandere_y eni_talip&utm_medium=gundemhaber&utm_source=gundemust

It needs translating but I think it says he wants it sorted quickly, if you go further into why it seems that Drogba wants another season playing and it will give them issues over the rules on foriegn players.

Malarkey
26-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Would be perfect up top with Gayle

Sceagle
26-07-2013, 03:19 PM

I asked a few Galatasaray fans, they say he's on 1,8 Mio. Euros a year plus 10.000 Euros per game played. Not sure how they know.

I don't know about his attitude, but apparently everyone had a poor one so...

rainbow_child
26-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Very good player, At 32 years of age not really fitting with buying younger players with a sell on value though.

FansAbroadLLC
26-07-2013, 03:36 PM

"better than he actually is". That's amazing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DARZET EAGLE
26-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Very good player, At 32 years of age not really fitting with buying younger players with a sell on value though.

And 8 years younger than Super Kev.....:lux:

JHJ EAGLE
26-07-2013, 04:19 PM
http://www.ajansspor.com/futbol/superlig/h/20130726/elmandere_yeni_talip.html?utm_campaign=elmandere_y eni_talip&utm_medium=gundemhaber&utm_source=gundemust

It needs translating but I think it says he wants it sorted quickly, if you go further into why it seems that Drogba wants another season playing and it will give them issues over the rules on foriegn players.

That's pretty much the way I made it out as well.

mattheagle
26-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't say I followed his career but I remember him pretty well - he was really highly rated at Brondby and Toulouse and (excuse the lazy comparison) had similarities to Ibrahimovic in that he was a big strong guy but with good feet and intelligent link up play

He took a long time to settle at Bolton but you did see glimpses of his ability I remember, he was typical of a generally good player who was struggling with the tempo of the Prem. He came good in his last season and by the end of it him, Holden, Sturridge and the little Korean fella were a realy handful

Question would be whether we'd see the player from 08/10 or the 10/11 one. Personally I think it's very important we bring in a proper target man and we could certainly do worse, but as has been said above money would be my concern

Billyd
26-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Would be perfect up top with Gayle

Are we playing 4-4-2 now?

sydnsteve
26-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Know nothing about him, but as Danny boy thinks he is terible he must have something going for him.

917L
26-07-2013, 05:31 PM
From my recollection of him, a very good footballer, but didnt score that many goals, untill his final season at Bolton anway

Massive upgrade on Wilbraham though

zonin2000
26-07-2013, 05:36 PM
i mis read his post, he was quoting league appearances only

anyway confusion over.

Yes, I was being a bit of a knob :angel::(

Kai
26-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I'd gladly take him. Experienced player of the type we need with a decent goalscoring record.

Kirby
26-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes. Sign him. Now.

Thedane
26-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes. Sign him. Now.

We already have according to Wiki......... :eek: =

"2012–13 season

He started the season in a match against Kasımpaşa and scored his first goal of the season in a 3–3 draw with Beşiktaş the following week. In the league's fourth week, he scored the opener against Antalyaspor in a 4–0 away win for Galatasaray. and on 19 October 2012, he scored an amazing goal against Gençlerbirliği in a 3–3 away draw and maintained the lead of the Süper Lig. On 26 July 2013 he joined Crystal Palace on a free transfer."

Not that I would mind one bit, but a bit premature I believe?

gamesmeister
26-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Largely he was terrible

Don't lie, largely he was excellent.

Ruskin Old Boy
26-07-2013, 07:35 PM
We already have according to Wiki......... :eek: =

"2012–13 season

He started the season in a match against Kasımpaşa and scored his first goal of the season in a 3–3 draw with Beşiktaş the following week. In the league's fourth week, he scored the opener against Antalyaspor in a 4–0 away win for Galatasaray. and on 19 October 2012, he scored an amazing goal against Gençlerbirliği in a 3–3 away draw and maintained the lead of the Süper Lig. On 26 July 2013 he joined Crystal Palace on a free transfer."

Not that I would mind one bit, but a bit premature I believe?

Anything from reliable news sources in Scandinavia?

(FWIW I'd be happy with this transfer.)

SteveyHawking
26-07-2013, 07:50 PM

None of this terrible or excellent lark. He was an average Premiership player for Bolton until his final season at the club and that's when he started playing well. He would definitely be an upgrade on Wilbs but I'd imagine he'd want a fair ole wage to come back to England.

Sceagle
26-07-2013, 08:15 PM
He started playing well at Bolton because Bolton started playing really well. Then he left and Bolton went downhill. Also, he plays well for Sweden.

Pistol Knight
26-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Hes shit

Ian Hart
26-07-2013, 08:27 PM

In all honesty he wasn't - other than for a brief purple patch.

From December 2008 he went 11 months without scoring a single goal in the league.

The season after that the "purple patch" came, lasting about 3 months, by which time (around December 2010) he was the league's joint top scorer. But it didn't last, and he barely got a league goal for the remainder of the season. In fact I recall Bolton dropping him in the latter part of that season

N Herts Eagle
26-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Anything from reliable news sources in Scandinavia?

(FWIW I'd be happy with this transfer.) Not at the moment maybe latter tonight the best report from Turkey is this one :-

http://www.fotospor.com/haber_elmander-icin-bir-teklif-daha_133094

Naboo
26-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I think the reason he was seen as a flop by many at Bolton was because of the mental transfer fee they paid for him. Would be a great signing for us imo

Ruskin Old Boy
26-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Not at the moment maybe latter tonight the best report from Turkey is this one :-

http://www.fotospor.com/haber_elmander-icin-bir-teklif-daha_133094

Thanks.

Translation suggests they don't have additional information but it's early days I guess. Agent seems ok.

Young Trolley
26-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Ive had enough of this, he's not good enough, why aren't we in for suarez, or rooney? Why didnt we bid for jovetic, or higuain or falcao?????

Jesus get real people, even carlton cole was beyond our means, he would be an excellent signing for us, physical presence, prem experience, a different option to gayle.

Honestly I dont know what some fans are expecting?...

Pistol Knight
26-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Ive had enough of this, he's not good enough, why aren't we in for suarez, or rooney? Why didnt we bid for jovetic, or higuain or falcao?????

Jesus get real people, even carlton cole was beyond our means, he would be an excellent signing for us, physical presence, prem experience, a different option to gayle.

Honestly I dont know what some fans are expecting?...

Would rather take a chance on Austin

Naboo
26-07-2013, 09:03 PM

not against Austin, he is a good player but elmander would represent the lower risk and has prem experience. Could be a perfect foil for Gayle

N Herts Eagle
26-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks.

Translation suggests they don't have additional information but it's early days I guess. Agent seems ok. Most I can get is that he may well be surplus to Galatasaray as Turkey has introduced new rules on non nationals and Drogbawants to play again this season before retiring.

ANDYEAGLE
26-07-2013, 09:13 PM
not against Austin, he is a good player but elmander would represent the lower risk and has prem experience. Could be a perfect foil for Gayle

Not sure about that. He is 32 and injured for a lot of last season. He will cost a fee and high wages. If we are going for the older guy I would prefer
Odemwingie personally. He is a decent player though.

Ruskin Old Boy
26-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Most I can get is that he may well be surplus to Galatasaray as Turkey has introduced new rules on non nationals and Drogbawants to play again this season before retiring.

That's the way it sounds.

Wonder what Wiki will have tomorrow.

ANDYEAGLE
26-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Most of us like Austin, but that one I think is finished.

mattheagle
26-07-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm a big fan of Austin but I'm not sure he's the answer, for me he would have been instead of rather than as well as Gayle. He's not small but I don't see him as enough of a target man and we were found out a bit in that respect last season. The better CBs beat Murray in the air and if they squeezed us up the pitch we didn't really have an answer. I actually think for the most part Wilbraham had a better game in the 1st leg against Brighton than Murray was having

Wouldn't be disappointed with this at all, but obviously only if the price is right

JHJ EAGLE
26-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Would be a good addition to the team

N Herts Eagle
26-07-2013, 09:39 PM
That's the way it sounds.

Wonder what Wiki will have tomorrow. I dont know the last change was from someone in Ireland, nothing in the Irish press by the looks of it so no faith in it being true. Would have been more interesting if from Turkey or Sweden

Malarkey
26-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Are we playing 4-4-2 now?

I don't know what we're playing, I'm not even sure whether Gayle will be played as a striker...

plectrum
26-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't know what we're playing, I'm not even sure whether Gayle will be played as a striker...

Well now you know - he will.

Malarkey
26-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Well now you know - he will.

Source?

NZsparky
27-07-2013, 02:52 AM
I was a bit hmmm about this thinking if he signs which elmander would turn up? Then I realised only a few weeks ago we were worrying about getting a crook wolves striker with a lardy Jo lo and thought **** it he will be brilliant

AlgotTheEagle
27-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Have always liked Johans style of play. A hard-working forward who also contributes some goals. If the wages is not too high, it would be an ok addition to our squard.

917L
27-07-2013, 06:51 AM
In fact I recall Bolton dropping him in the latter part of that season

I think you recall wrongly

He started pretty much every league game that season, being on the bench for a couple of League cup games

He started 11 of their last 12 fixtures, missing the penultimate game only

CoDownEagle
27-07-2013, 07:45 AM
14 games last season 4 goals

Gerry from Sussex
27-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Surely he's got to. Who else is going to have a chance of scoring?

CaterhamEagle
27-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Exactly. He's the only fit goalscorer on our books at the moment (yes Wilbs is a forward but not a goalscorer). We wouldn't break our record transfer fee and play someone out of position.

gamesmeister
27-07-2013, 09:11 AM
In all honesty he wasn't - other than for a brief purple patch.

From December 2008 he went 11 months without scoring a single goal in the league.

The season after that the "purple patch" came, lasting about 3 months, by which time (around December 2010) he was the league's joint top scorer. But it didn't last, and he barely got a league goal for the remainder of the season. In fact I recall Bolton dropping him in the latter part of that season

Equally you could argue the opposite - when he arrived at Bolton, he went through a barren spell. Before that, he'd scored 22 in 58 for Brandby and 22 in 64 for Toulouse, a better than 1 in 3 record. At Bolton you're right, he squeezed most of his goals into a single season but even at Galatasary he was scoring 1 in 4.

So point taken, he might not be "excellent", but he was never terrible.

Paulie Walnuts
27-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Big thread about him here from Bolton fans in 2011. It's not exactly glowing but it seems to be that he struggled for the first 2 years under Megson (who wouldn't!) who often played him out of position but then he did a lot better under Coyle.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22039&sid=79e02d748b23bfd50ed6456383f3cd33&start=0

Malarkey
27-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Wilbrahimovic...I swear I saw somewhere that Holloway planned to play Gayle on the wing.

CoDownEagle
27-07-2013, 11:17 AM
If we cannot afford Carlton Cole there is no way we can afford his wages....hope we don't waste to much time on this one.

New LP
27-07-2013, 11:23 AM

We've already brought in such a player, now let's get someone in who may offer us goals next season.

rainbow_child
27-07-2013, 12:01 PM
We've already brought in such a player, now let's get someone in who may offer us goals next season.

Nothing wrong with bringing in another good younger hungry striker, like Charlie Austin.

Wibraham will be 34 in October, Kevin Phillips is 40 & this guy is 32.

I'd rather have a more youthful strike force, with a bit of pace and hunger.

elgin eagle
27-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing in another good younger hungry striker, like Charlie Austin.

Wibraham will be 34 in October, Kevin Phillips is 40 & this guy is 32.

I'd rather have a more youthful strike force, with a bit of pace and hunger.

This. If Gayle gets an ankle clipped we only have a 40 year old striker to score our goals. We also dont have zaha to create something or win a pen. A targetman who also scores like austin is the best solution. We still need creativity even then :eek: If I was a betting man I would have to say, as it stands 3 weeks before the season starts sadly we look nailed on to come straight down. All components of the squad look weak atm imho, defence notably. Only an amazing team spirit and fact that there is still some time remaining to sign quality players to complement the existing squad are grounds for optimism. We have made some nice signings, but nowhere near enough. After last season and signing seven players in the very last week of august im reticient to chuck the towel in just yet however :) Last week was frustrating for everyone, but we have to ensure that th
e players we do sign are the right ones. Unless we are planning for a striker and
targetman, we need another goalscorer with murray out. Never easy signing better players though.

stinky
27-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Judging by the Crawley line up it's AW through the middle with Thomas and Gayle either side of him.

elgin eagle
27-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Judging by the Crawley line up it's AW through the middle with Thomas and Gayle either side of him.

Surely its gayle playing off wilbs, no? Hes not going to play gayle out wide surely.

Mickey Gilley
27-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Surely its gayle playing off wilbs, no? Hes not going to play gayle out wide surely.

I've always assumed gayle will play to one side of a central forward. In the position that zaha played and with holloways tactic of those wide players pushing in closer to the centre forward rather than out to the wing. Elmander would be ideal for that central role.

elgin eagle
27-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I've always assumed gayle will play to one side of a central forward. In the position that zaha played and with holloways tactic of those wide players pushing in closer to the centre forward rather than out to the wing. Elmander would be ideal for that central role.

Yeah its splitting hairs as the formation is so fluid and changes many times during the match. I cant help feeling that holloway feels gayle needs a big man to play off, hence the interest in cole, elmander and nuhui. I think this big man must be able to finish as well, in case we lose gayle to injury.

stinky
27-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Where's Thomas playing then?

elgin eagle
27-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Where's Thomas playing then?

Left wing at a guess. Although im sure he can play either being fairly two footed. As mickey says, they can come in closer to wilbs as required though.

stinky
27-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Left wing at a guess. Although im sure he can play either being fairly two footed. As mickey says, they can come in closer to wilbs as required though.

That's what I mean, if you think Gayle I'd tucked in behind AW, and Thomas is on the left, who's on the right? My guess is Gayle is starting out right but allowed to drift in.

elgin eagle
27-07-2013, 02:49 PM
That's what I mean, if you think Gayle I'd tucked in behind AW, and Thomas is on the left, who's on the right? My guess is Gayle is starting out right but allowed to drift in.

I make you right. I see bolasie is on the bench so we may move to a more conventional 4 4 2 in the second half if we are still chasing it. Probably be wholesale changes again though so hard to get a clear idea what we are attempting this season tactically.

Billyd
27-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Gayle played center. Wilbs right, Thomas left.

stinky
27-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Wilbs right?! Interesting!

plectrum
27-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Source?

Chairman - not that that's a guarantee as its Holloway's team but the expectation is they've bought a prolific striker

El Kooch
28-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Wrote a lengthy post but accidentally closed the tab

Bottom line is Elmander didn't play at all last season and was 4th choice for a team that played a 442. He struggled with injuries and by the end of the season he looked like he had lost all his strength and pace (not a pacy player to begin with but he looked extremely slow). He was perfect in 11/12, playing like a target man who also dropped back and helped the midfield, and his pressing up front allowed the team to put a lot of pressure on the opposition defence. You can't expect him to score, or make runs behind the defense, he's good in the air, has decent touch and can pass the ball well. However in the 13/14 preseason he looked like he did towards the end of last season, slower than usual and not very strong.

If that is going to be the case then I can't see him offering more than Wilbrahimovic. And you can forget about him playing on the wings whoever said that, that's absurd

AJ8
28-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Wilbs right

I just puked in my mouth.

917L
28-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Wrote a lengthy post but accidentally closed the tab

Bottom line is Elmander didn't play at all last season

He played 25 times for club and country

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=26544&season_id=142

El Kooch
28-07-2013, 08:08 AM
He played 25 times for club and country

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=26544&season_id=142

I am aware of the fact that you can look up stats on the internet. My point was that he didn't play any meaningful minutes except for the beginning of the season. He totaled about 1000 minutes in the league and europe which is roughly 11 full matches. Not to mention that he played in about 3 matches in the second half of the season

cpfc4evandeva
28-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Believe me, it really wasn't! The poor bloke looked completely lost.

I can only think that Holloway is just keeping his fitness up in the hope that someone will buy him. I like Wilbs a lot but I can't see him in 'the 25', unless we're very unlucky transfer wise.

Penstone Eagle
28-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Also looked fitter and worked harder than most yesterday, great attitude, still can't find the net though.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Believe me, it really wasn't! The poor bloke looked completely lost.

I can only think that Holloway is just keeping his fitness up in the hope that someone will buy him. I like Wilbs a lot but I can't see him in 'the 25', unless we're very unlucky transfer wise.

What do you mean keeping his fitness up to sell him?

He is an employee for Crystal palace Football Club and it is the responsibility of the coaching team and the player to ensure that when/if called upon he is as fit as possible.

Right now he is all we have, so it be mental for them not to keep him fit and include him, IMHO.

cpfc4evandeva
29-07-2013, 08:21 AM
What do you mean keeping his fitness up to sell him?

He is an employee for Crystal palace Football Club and it is the responsibility of the coaching team and the player to ensure that when/if called upon he is as fit as possible.

Right now he is all we have, so it be mental for them not to keep him fit and include him, IMHO.

I don't think you've understood my point...

I don't think that Wilbs is in Holloway's plans. That's why it looks like he nearly went back to MK Dons. But seeing as he is still here, I think Holloway is just making sure he gets a run out to keep his fitness levels up so that if anyone were to take him for a few training sessions with a view to buying/borrowing him (Dowie used to do this a lot), he would be in good shape.

Clearly the player should keep himself in good nick and I'm sure Wilbs is doing this, but there have been players in the past who put in a bare minimum of effort if they are aware that they're not in the manager's plans.

My point is that I highly doubt Holloway sees Wilbs as a right winger and was purely giving him gametime.

El Kooch
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
He's in London atm

insider info

Sceagle
03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
He's in London atm

insider info

From Mr H Monk?

N Herts Eagle
03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
He's in London atm

insider info Thats a shame Ian Holloway is in Waterford :)

Sceagle
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Thats a shame Ian Holloway is in Waterford :)

Holloway doesn't deal with the transfers :)

El Kooch
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Looking sharp against Arsenal atm

plus he's still in London

Sceagle
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
He's in London because he's playing Arsenal like you just said?!

El Kooch
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
He's in London because he's playing Arsenal like you just said?!

yes

makes easier for us to sign him

FansAbroadLLC
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
yes

makes easier for us to sign him

Oh dear, you really don't have a clue.

El Kooch
05-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Oh dear, you really don't have a clue.

quiet you

Mnady boo
16-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Signed for norwich by the looks of his twitter

AlgotTheEagle
16-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Signed for norwich by the looks of his twitter

It is a fake account apperntly

El Kooch
16-08-2013, 08:12 PM
bs twitter account

El Kooch
16-08-2013, 08:48 PM
even though the twitter account is hs (horse shit), it seems that he will sign for norwich, with norwich paying him 1.4 million euros per year with Galatasaray paying the remaining 400k euros of his contract

CPFC_Fan
21-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Signed for Norwich on a season long loan according to SSN.

ChaceTheAce
21-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Norwich have made some fantastic signings.

CPFC_DAVE77
21-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Norwich have made some fantastic signings.

Yep, they have also signed Elmander.

Windsor_Eagle
21-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Meh.

CPFC_DAVE77
21-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Meh.

Yup.

El Kooch
21-08-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.ajansspor.com/galeri/resimler/63625F61695F6361626451626A6B62626B6464A193659B69.j pg

-N.W.A-
21-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Could this open door for us to loan Becchio?

Reps AJ
21-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Could this open door for us to loan Becchio?

Hopefully not

hull eagle
21-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Is it me or are we doing all the hard work in picking out potential suitors for the others to pick the bones or what

Billyd
21-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Norwich going to surprise package this season.

james powell
21-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Meh. And meh to Becchio too !