PDA

View Full Version : Official: Marouane Chamakh (1 year deal)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

trufan
28-07-2013, 11:14 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5038566/Marouane-Chamakh-a-target-for-Crystal-Palace.html

Well what do we think boys and girls? And, yes, it is in The Sun . . . ;)

Cjbear
28-07-2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5038566/Marouane-Chamakh-a-target-for-Crystal-Palace.html

-N.W.A-
28-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Good news if true.

gw_eagle97
28-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Could work out, from what I've seen of him he's not as bad as Arsenal fans make out.

6ft2 as well, so he's the same height as Murray, just younger and faster. Hopefully he could be this years Lukaku if we got him!

Cjbear
28-07-2013, 11:23 PM
He's 29, not exactly younger than Murray. Has the potential to do well but also the potential to do nothing

gw_eagle97
28-07-2013, 11:25 PM
He's 29, not exactly younger than Murray.

I assumed he was younger than that! My bad

JAS78
28-07-2013, 11:26 PM
40 games for arsenal but i can't recall ever seeing him play

JAS78
28-07-2013, 11:31 PM
just done some extensive research and i've decided he's class :)

oGi8NqrpkHA

Sp1Eagle
28-07-2013, 11:38 PM

eagles2345
28-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Yes, would be very good

PalaceBhoy
28-07-2013, 11:41 PM
This Chamakh's of desperation.

ANDYEAGLE
28-07-2013, 11:50 PM
It looks like Wenger want's shot of him. Why would he want to loan him out for six months and pay some of his wages? Sounds a bit optimistic by IH.

PJJY
28-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Highly rated before his Arsenal move, and Wenger obviously saw something in him, but didn't exactly pull up any trees at West Ham last season.

brooklynlou
28-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Would love to see this happen. West as a "star" to arsenal, didn't score goals immediately, then rode the bench. At West ham the style of play is nothing to what suits him.

If he comes to us he will be a huge asset. Only problem is his age and potential salary. He's not a kid anymore at 29

crecy
29-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Better than what we have at the moment for sure and good cover while murray is out. Should be a partner for Gayle.

Wages may be a stumbling block though. 65K a week so depends how bad Arsenal want to move him on.

crecy
29-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Better than what we have at the moment for sure and good cover while murray is out. Could be a good partner for Gayle.

Wages may be a stumbling block though. 65K a week so depends how bad Arsenal want to move him on.

Jim Cannon
29-07-2013, 12:19 AM
It looks like Wenger want's shot of him. Why would he want to loan him out for six months and pay some of his wages? Sounds a bit optimistic by IH.

As far as I can see Wenger has been trying to get rid all of last season and this summer so think this very likely indeed. For me though chamakh has flopped in this country though he certainly has ability.
Page 2 - Danny Boy announces he isn't good enough

ANDYEAGLE
29-07-2013, 12:47 AM
As far as I can see Wenger has been trying to get rid all of last season and this summer so think this very likely indeed. For me though chamakh has flopped in this country though he certainly has ability.
Page 2 - Danny Boy announces he isn't good enough

Yes maybe. But it would certainly be a last resort for Wenger. Maybe it has come to that.
What a life eh? The guy has been paid nearly ten million quid and has flopped.
Who needs the lottery?
If IH thinks he can get something out of him I am all for it.

KungFuCharlie
29-07-2013, 04:37 AM
This is funny.

Carlton Cole was dismissed by many on here as too old (at 29), too expensive (at 40k a week), and not prolific enough.

I've never seen Chamakh play, so have no opinion on this.

Penstone Eagle
29-07-2013, 05:16 AM
This is funny.

Carlton Cole was dismissed by many on here as too old (at 29), too expensive (at 40k a week), and not prolific enough.

I've never seen Chamakh play, so have no opinion on this.

Neither have most people but seem to still have 'expert' opinions.

IW_Eagle
29-07-2013, 05:29 AM
West Ham fan here in my office says that Chamakh was shocking for them, no control. He preferred Cole.

CrystalOrient
29-07-2013, 05:46 AM

Put him in the shop window, I guess.

FromSelhurst
29-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Not saying he was crap before he moved to Arsenal but his time at Arsenal and at West Ham he has been awful and nothing like the kinda character or quality we need.

nicobos
29-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Not saying he was crap before he moved to Arsenal but his time at Arsenal and at West Ham he has been awful and nothing like the kinda character or quality we need.

Agreed - seems a bit much for someone who has never really performed well in the Epl at arsenal or west ham to come in, hit the ground running here, and start banging in the goals...We will definitely need another striker as relying on Gayle / Chamak will not see us get enough goals to stay up I fear.

917L
29-07-2013, 06:28 AM

Quality?

Our only current option is the non goalscoring workhorse Aaron Wilbraham

Now I havent see a great deal of Chamakh, but from what I have he is several leagues better than that, and does actually score goals

He only started twice for West Ham so they didnt see a lot of him to judge either

However he played 67 (36 starts) times for Arsenal since signing 3 seasons ago, so whilst far from ever present he turned out pretty regularly for them. Scored 14 goals in those appearances

No idea whather its a genuine possibility though

brooklynlou
29-07-2013, 06:37 AM
It's the last year of his contract and he looks like he wants to collect every last penny of his 65k per week salary.

He's a 1/3 striker when he starts which us the equivalent of Cole. Only issue is how much is Arsenal willing to pay us to pay him.

elgin eagle
29-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Saw him play in france and he was quality. However, he is on the money of 5 or 6 players.

GodstoneEagle
29-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Big, big, big money and can't be arsed.

GodstoneEagle
29-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Saw him a few times at West Ham and it was embarrassing.

CaterhamEagle
29-07-2013, 07:17 AM
I can't believe he's 29, thought he was 25/26 at a stretch!

Thought he showed flashes of brilliance that were never realised at Arsenal. Would have thought they'd sell over a loan at his age.

eagle69
29-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:

elgin eagle
29-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Would far rather we signed 4 or 5 players to strengthen the squad to create chances and took a gamble on austin and gayle to get the goals. We could get all 5 for 65k a week (plus any transfer fees of course).

Chamakh is well out of our budget unless arsenal pay his wages.

Gary O
29-07-2013, 07:27 AM
65k a week, Got Loads of dough, High earning Billy Big Potato's! No Hunger! Move on Look Elsewhere! Young and Hungry Required!

FromSelhurst
29-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Quality?

Our only current option is the non goalscoring workhorse Aaron Wilbraham

Now I havent see a great deal of Chamakh, but from what I have he is several leagues better than that, and does actually score goals

He only started twice for West Ham so they didnt see a lot of him to judge either

However he played 67 (36 starts) times for Arsenal since signing 3 seasons ago, so whilst far from ever present he turned out pretty regularly for them. Scored 14 goals in those appearances

No idea whather its a genuine possibility though

Ok hes better than Wilbraham and we are getting desperate for a striker but even at Arsenal i'd rather Akpom than Chamakh.

cross_eyed_ed
29-07-2013, 07:41 AM
He was very good at Bordeaux.

ChickenDipper
29-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Need this to happen for my FF team this year - Chamakh-My-B1tch-Up

HorleyStu
29-07-2013, 07:50 AM
The fee from Arsenal will not be a problem, it's the 65k per week that's the problem.

No way will Parish allow that kind of wage, so unless he is prepared to at least take a 50% pay cut, this will not happen.

If he does, then to me that shows real hunger and desire to play for us.

Nigelbrag
29-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Came with a big reputation, but was never fulfilled at Arsenal. Could be an excellent signing if wages are right, but if as stated he is on 65k p.w, would he come for say 25k p.w. which I feel should be our ceiling wage for any top player brought in.
It is crucial we don't pay some excessive wages which upset and causes dissent within the team.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Wages are irrelevant - it is a loan. He will receive 65k (if that is actually the figure) regardless, it is down to Palace and Arsenal to agree what split is paid by two clubs between them, plus if there is an loan fee involved.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 08:00 AM
The curse of the foreign name strikes again.

In what way is this any better than Carlton Cole?

HOL_Beagle
29-07-2013, 08:06 AM
On a hair-coiffeurage level, I'd say 'no'.

On a footballing level...no idea.

I hope that helps in the debate.

davematt
29-07-2013, 08:15 AM
We can't start getting picky.

This guy has international pedigree and performing well for Arsenal and Crystal Palace are two completley different things (Although he did has an uninspiring spell at West Ham...).

This guy or Wilbs? Its a no brainer.

917L
29-07-2013, 08:15 AM
The curse of the foreign name strikes again.

In what way is this any better than Carlton Cole?

Carlton Cole was a peramaant signing so we would be liable for 100% of his wages (which were clearly too much for us)

Chamakh would be a loan and we would only pay an agreed %

One has already been discounted, one is a possibility (if the rumour is true)

Nothing do do with nationality, which you appear obsessed by

jimos_uk
29-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Carlton Cole was a peramaant signing so we would be liable for 100% of his wages (which were clearly too much for us)

As a loan, there's a lot to like about this.

Firstly, we can forget about the whole 'sell on value' bit, because he wouldn't be ours to sell on - though, I would be inclined to insert an 'option to sign in January', if he does tear things up.

Wages - if we reached an agreement with Arsenal to pay, say, 50% of his wages then, factoring the likely lack of a loan fee (he'll be nowhere near the Arsenal first team, and perhaps won't even get a squad number), then it becomes more of an 'investment in survival' than 'pissing money away'.

He has an obvious pedigree (and I have seen him play 5-6 times), and you can tell there's a good player in there, but West Ham (who, sadly, at the moment are a better side than we), didn't play to his strengths. We most likely would.

Better than what we have, and at 30k a week and no loan fee, this would make me pretty happy.

SpikeyMatt
29-07-2013, 08:20 AM
On a loan, it's a no brainer for me.

Beggars can't be choosers.

The Omen
29-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Thought it was a very good signing when West Ham brought him in last season. Was surprised that he flopped there too... and that would concern me about us trying to bring him in.

PauLo
29-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Is he better than what we've got? Yes. Worth a punt for 6 months.

917L
29-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Re his move to West Ham

He started 2 games and one as sub in January, then never played again

Do we have any idea why?

kolinkins
29-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Better than Wilbraham? Yes.

International pedigree.

Didn't do it at arsenal but doing it for us is very different. Worth a punt I'd say.

eaglejez
29-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Can he play at the back ;)

jimos_uk
Re his move to West Ham

He started 2 games and one as sub in January, then never played again

Do we have any idea why?

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest it has something to do with Big Sam being an odious ****.

It could of course be something else, but let's face it, that is always a high possibility.

CPFC_DAVE77

It's not me that's obsessed with nationality, it's 99% of people in football.

Look at the way Man Utd pub fans slagged of Fletcher, until the papers told them he was good.

It's the same with a lot of our fans. Elmander and Chamakh are considered decent signings, but the unfashionabe Cartlon Cole was met with general derision.

Zohar Returns
29-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Maybe just needs someone to help him reignite his love for the game. Sometimes as a player you do just fall out of love with playing football.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Is he better than what we've got? Yes. Worth a punt for 6 months.

We have three forwards, two who are under 39 years old. By that logic you would be a decent signing, it doesn't mean we should settle.

jimos_uk

Look at the way Man Utd pub fans slagged of Fletcher, until the papers told them he was good.

It's the same with a lot of our fans. Elmander and Chamakh are considered decent signings, but the unfashionabe Cartlon Cole was met with general derision.

I completely understand what you're saying, and we all do love the exotic (even if 80% of the time, they turn out to be utterly useless).

However, Carlton Cole, for me, is one of those players that you just look at and think 'meh'. Like Emille Heskey. You know he can do a job, but it's not the exact job that you need done.

Plus, Chamakh has that whole continental flair thing going on. ;)

917L

Like that Foreigner Darren Ambrose I guess

What a load of shit he was......

FraserH
29-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Reeks of desperation. He has been a total flop since he came to England.

The Omen
29-07-2013, 08:32 AM

Doesn't help that when you watch our national team, 80% of our opposition are clearly technically better

Rasheed Harkouk
29-07-2013, 08:32 AM
For the love of god NO! Awful, awful, awful player

gilesy14
29-07-2013, 08:35 AM
He's been shit ever since they banned the snood.

BRING BACK THE SNOOD!

Pikie Punisher
29-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Look at the way Brighton pub fans slagged of Fletcher, until the papers told them he was good.

EFA.

JAS78
29-07-2013, 08:37 AM

but Carlton Cole as a name is actually a good name, it's more his limited touch and finishing ability, for 40k aweek which worried people

I think most would rather good old english name Charlie Austin than Chamakh, as he is young with a strong scoring record.

Naff all to do with the name imo

Paulie Walnuts
29-07-2013, 08:38 AM
A 5 month loan with Arsenal paying 2/3rds of his wages makes sense. It covers us till Muzza gets back, Arsenal have him playing regularly rather than warming their bench and if he scores a few they can demand a half decent fee in the January window from a club that can afford his wage demands.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Like that Foreigner Darren Ambrose I guess

What a load of shit he was......

Do you actually know what you are talking about? Or do you just criticise me at any opportunity because unlike most people I didn't take a week off in mourning when we sold Ambrose?

JB's ghost
29-07-2013, 08:44 AM
It is no shame to fail at Arsenal. The expectations are ridiculously high. He played a lot and well at first and then after about 4/5 months mysteriously lost his edge and hardly played again. Arsenal have had several players who were notorously over paid and who they have been trying to get rid of for ages and indeed at last most of them have left this summer. I cannot believe Arsenal would expect us to pay even half of his reported wages. He could be great for us - but not in the team that turned up last Saturday. We need to work on linking the midfield with the attack better.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 08:44 AM
but Carlton Cole as a name is actually a good name, it's more his limited touch and finishing ability, for 40k aweek which worried people

I think most would rather good old english name Charlie Austin than Chamakh, as he is young with a strong scoring record.

Naff all to do with the name imo

But for some reason it doesn't bother people that Chamkh has not proven to be great in these areas either, but people are already drawing up wage pstructures and potential 'option to buy' clauses.

Malarkey
29-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Would be a very good signing. I'd prefer Elmander, though.

FromSelhurst
29-07-2013, 08:53 AM
But for some reason it doesn't bother people that Chamkh has not proven to be great in these areas either, but people are already drawing up wage pstructures and potential 'option to buy' clauses.

His effort would be off most concern.

FromSelhurst
29-07-2013, 08:54 AM
A 5 month loan with Arsenal paying 2/3rds of his wages makes sense. It covers us till Muzza gets back, Arsenal have him playing regularly rather than warming their bench and if he scores a few they can demand a half decent fee in the January window from a club that can afford his wage demands.

I think its wrong to assume Murray will come back in January, we shouldnt really plan to see Murray at all this season. If we do its a bonus.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 08:55 AM
He was class during his first season at Arsenal, that form never returned. My Arsenal mate is dying for us to take him off of their wage bill, says that he is an incredibly lazy player who plays with no passion or pride. No thanks

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Working on an assumption that Murray will be back around January......

Chamakh even paying all his wages would represent a 1.7m outlay for that period.

If we then signed him given his final year of contract and Arsenal wanting rid, it would only be if he was proving his ability and the fee would be low, and we might get his wages down a bit.

Signing Austin would involve a fee of 3-4m plus wages, probably around 20k+ a week on a 4 year deal. If he does have an underlying issue that will rule him out for large parts is he value for money when the package will cost you 7-8m?

kestoneagle
29-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I've got a cab driving Arsenal fan in my road and he has an off the pitch story (he tells me its first hand but who knows) about why this guy lost his form so badly. Can't repeat it on here but if true I can see why it would have distracted him. Its no Marlon King story and wouldn't neccesarily put me off having him at my club if he scored the goals but would certainly explain why his confidence went.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I've got a cab driving Arsenal fan in my road and he has an off the pitch story (he tells me its first hand but who knows) about why this guy lost his form so badly. Can't repeat it on here but if true I can see why it would have distracted him. Its no Marlon King story and wouldn't neccesarily put me off having him at my club if he scored the goals but would certainly explain why his confidence went.

Did SC bum rape him in the changing rooms?

Speporoni
29-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Would love this

Speporoni
29-07-2013, 08:59 AM
That's signing chamackh not the sol Campbell bit ...

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 09:00 AM
He was class during his first season at Arsenal, that form never returned. My Arsenal mate is dying for us to take him off of their wage bill, says that he is an incredibly lazy player who plays with no passion or pride. No thanks

He scored eight goals in his first season.

In fact, his record at Bordeux was only around 1/5...

Rasheed Harkouk
29-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Would be a very good signing

WRONG unless we are looking for another forward that can't find the net, in which case Yay Chamakh

scro
29-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I can't help thinking there is no reason why i should not want Chamakh. However if it were Hull or Cardiff potentially making this addition i would certainly not be jealous. He probably isn't as bad as his form at arsenal appears but I cannot see him making sufficient difference to our chances to warrant the spend.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Apologies then,he looked class, but has gone missing for the last two or three seasons.

Go lower leagues or abroad and pick out one who scores every week. Having a 'potential' to score goals is not what we need. Failing that, I'm off down to the local park to practice keepy-ups, in the hope that Holloway might spot me. I'll even break a leg if I have to, as he seems to have a liking for the injured ones.

Jordan Rhodes please. Be brave and take a gamble. Scores every week. We've not spent a great deal so far, so jump in and make a splash.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 09:06 AM

That is 8 goals a season. Who would you fancy in our team to hit double figures for the season?

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Apologies then,he looked class, but has gone missing for the last two or three seasons.

Go lower leagues or abroad and pick out one who scores every week. Having a 'potential' to score goals is not what we need. Failing that, I'm off down to the local park to practice keepy-ups, in the hope that Holloway might spot me. I'll even break a leg if I have to, as he seems to have a liking for the injured ones.

Honestly, I would rather we bought Paddy Madden from Yeovil than loaned Chamakh. I'm usually really positive about signings (Elmander aside ;) ) but I just can't see why this would be a positive move for us. He doesn't score goals, and West Ham only played him three times (behind the shitter Carlton Cole) in their team.

Danny boy
29-07-2013, 09:09 AM
oh dear why are targetting these players ffs

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 09:11 AM
That is 8 goals a season. Who would you fancy in our team to hit double figures for the season?

No one - so why settle for someone equally as bad?

He scored 8 goals in a very good team while he was high in confidence, three years later he can only manage a bench position behind Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll.

Stavros 69
29-07-2013, 09:12 AM
oh mother of god no

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:16 AM
We have a master negotiator (SP) and a clown who can't hide his emotions (IH). Personally I think that is a bad mix.

I would also question the skills of whoever is scouting for us, especially outside of the UK, where we should be looking, if we genuinely want to compete this coming season.

Having read the Crawley feedback, happy to sit back and defend, few shots on target, that sounded just like the final third of last season, so has IH gone back to his old ways again? I sincerely hope not.

If I'm honest I am not overly concerned this season, as I care very little about being in the PL.

New LP
29-07-2013, 09:20 AM
We need goals, so not sure about this.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 09:20 AM
We have a master negotiator (SP) and a clown who can't hide his emotions (IH). Personally I think that is a bad mix.

I would also question the skills of whoever is scouting for us, especially outside of the UK, where we should be looking, if we genuinely want to compete this coming season.

Having read the Crawley feedback, happy to sit back and defend, few shots on target, that sounded just like the final third of last season, so has IH gone back to his old ways again? I sincerely hope not.

If I'm honest I am not overly concerned this season, as I care very little about being in the PL.

DLC in slag off IH post, and before the season even starts, even more predictable than Danny Boy's and Plectrum's Palace Going to Hell in a Handcart posts.

PauLo
29-07-2013, 09:22 AM
We have three forwards, two who are under 39 years old. By that logic you would be a decent signing, it doesn't mean we should settle.

FINALLY.

glaziers fan
probably the best striker we have been linked with. SIGN HIM UP. He has tons of ability - it just didn't work for him at Arsenal - these things happen. If Holloway can re-motivate him, because his attitude isn't great.

HOL_Beagle
http://www.hangtheart.com/cham.jpg

jimos_uk
oh dear why are targetting these players ffs

I know you've been asked before, but to my knowledge have continued to make pithy posts rather than respond.

Who would you like us to be linked with, that are viable targets?

I'm sure I'm not alone in really, really wanting that answer.

917L
29-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Where did you get that from?

Its not how the game was played at all

PauLo
29-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Becoming more and more convinced that Danny boy is trolling. For ages, I thought that he was just miserable. But during transfer windows, he's like a fisherman with a lot of bait. No right minded, rational person thinks the way he does, so trolling is the only possible answer.

Anyway... Chamakh. In all honesty, I've only seen him 2 or 3 times, so I have no real opinion. Like most players we're linked with, really.

PauLo
29-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Becoming more and more convinced that Danny boy is trolling. For ages, I thought that he was just miserable. But during transfer windows, he's like a fisherman with a lot of bait. No right minded, rational person thinks the way he does, so trolling is the only possible answer.

Anyway... Chamakh. In all honesty, I've only seen him 2 or 3 times, so I have no real opinion. Like most players we're linked with, really.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:29 AM
DLC in slag off IH post, and before the season even starts, even more predictable than Danny Boy's and Plectrum's Palace Going to Hell in a Handcart posts.

Pipe down son.

Holloway is a clown, who can't keep his gob shut.
SP a master negotiator
We sat back and let Crawley run at us
We created few scoring opportunities
We are looking at maybe players and other team's dead wood, rather than those who are on an upward career curve.

Is any of the above either false or untrue? Blind faith is not a bad thing, but having a pop at somebody who is stating the facts is just a bit silly.

Jim Cannon
29-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I know you've been asked before, but to my knowledge have continued to make pithy posts rather than respond.

You aren't but you won't get one, he's clearly a troll

PauLo
29-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Holloway is a clown

I love how much Holloways being a 'clown' pisses off some of our fans. I don't see it myself, but hey, i'd take someone with a personality over a miserable twat like one of our previous managers.

Naboo
29-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Hasn't worked out for him at arsenal but before that was one if the most highly sought after players in Europe. Clearly lost his way due to not playing but has the talent, exactly the type of striker we should be looking at imo along with one other, possibly from abroad as others have mentioned.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 09:35 AM
No one - so why settle for someone equally as bad?

He scored 8 goals in a very good team while he was high in confidence, three years later he can only manage a bench position behind Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll.

That is if you think BFS is a good manager and knows what he is doing!

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Oh and can anyone remind me who Cardiff and Hull have signed.

We are so far behind so i assume they both have 5 or 6 top players already on board?

dowieslovechild
I love how much Holloways being a 'clown' pisses off some of our fans. I don't see it myself, but hey, i'd take someone with a personality over a miserable twat like one of our previous managers.

Telling the world that 'this week has been the worst in my career for transfers' is more the pathetic part of a clown, than the entertaining side. That's what pisses me most off about him. At times he is a completely open book.

Malarkey
Pipe down son.

Holloway is a clown, who can't keep his gob shut. - Disagree, and can be funny sometimes.
SP a master negotiator - True
We sat back and let Crawley run at us - True. The sad thing is, it was our 1st choice defence 1st half.
We created few scoring opportunities - True. The ones we did create we didn't try to score.
We are looking at maybe players and other team's dead wood, rather than those who are on an upward career curve. - True, been a pretty dull window so far.

Is any of the above either false or untrue? Blind faith is not a bad thing, but having a pop at somebody who is stating the facts is just a bit silly.

CPFC_DAVE77

I don't believe that he is so inept that he would only play Chamakh three times after all the training sessions he would have taken part in if he was any good.

Jim Cannon

I don't like BFS one little bit, but he does know what he is doing at Premier League level, though he is nowhere near as good as HE thinks he is

917L
29-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Pipe down son.

Both untrue

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Pipe down son.

Holloway is a clown, who can't keep his gob shut.
SP a master negotiator
We are looking at maybe players and other team's dead wood, rather than those who are on an upward career curve.

Please don't patronisingly call me son, unless you can travel back in time, I think I have a few years on you. You have done very little but slag off the manager for months. It must have really hurt when he got us promoted - especially as you "don't care for the Premiership".

Who cares about a result at Crawley - it is a friendly three weeks before the season with wholesale changes all over the pitch. Some players played well, some let themselves down - but don't let that affect your agenda.

As for players, we will get who we can for our budget, and from those who actually want to come here, including "deadwood" like Phillips, oh - and players on upwards curves like Gayle and Campana - forgot those did you?

Transfers are so easy for you aren't they? Any league club rolls over and opens their legs for us to take away their promising players for peanuts, of, and there are hundreds of Michu's lying around but IH can't see them through the white and red face make up and water pistol lapel flower.

Yeah right, keep up the negative stream of comments, you and DB must make a nice matching pair.

james powell
29-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Have always disliked him and seen him as useless (as I have Cole) even if the video does look good, I would be a desperation move in my own opinion !

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Both untrue

Maybe you would like to share a few examples of the abundance of attacking breaks and clear scoring opportunities that we created on Saturday? I'm more than happy for people to challenge what I write, but can you back it up please?

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Oh and can anyone remind me who Cardiff and Hull have signed.

We are so far behind so i assume they both have 5 or 6 top players already on board?

Firstly they haven't lost their best two players and secondly they are bidding a lot more and offering substantially higher wages. They will get better players and have a stronger squad.

sydnsteve
29-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Not a v good player. Good enough for us? Poss. But he has looked really poor in most games for the Gooners

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Please don't patronisingly call me son, unless you can travel back in time, I think I have a few years on you. You have done very little but slag off the manager for months. It must have really hurt when he got us promoted - especially as you "don't care for the Premiership".

Who cares about a result at Crawley - it is a friendly three weeks before the season with wholesale changes all over the pitch. Some players played well, some let themselves down - but don't let that affect your agenda.

As for players, we will get who we can for our budget, and from those who actually want to come here, including "deadwood" like Phillips, oh - and players on upwards curves like Gayle and Campana - forgot those did you?

Transfers are so easy for you aren't they? Any league club rolls over and opens their legs for us to take away their promising players for peanuts, of, and there are hundreds of Michu's lying around but IH can't see them through the white and red face make up and water pistol lapel flower.

Yeah right, keep up the negative stream of comments, you and DB must make a nice matching pair.

I'm glad that it struck a nerve. I've never been a big fan of one sided debates.

I applauded the signings of Gayle and Campana, I don't think that I have previously likened Phillips to deadwood and I've come on here today to question this potential signing (the clue is the the thread title).

Why do people get so upset the minute people question the ability of IH? It's unhealthy.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I hate, we need to bring in players on 4 yr contracts who we can develop either to sell on or help us grow. Chamakh is shit and it just furthers us looking like an utter joke this season. For those about to flame, perhaps register on and other teams forums and just ask what they think of Palace's chances.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Firstly they haven't lost their best two players and secondly they are bidding a lot more and offering substantially higher wages. They will get better players and have a stronger squad.

And you know these facts about their bids and wage offers how exactly? Are you working in their finance department on the side?

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:53 AM
DLC

I think we've got a perfectly suited manager and he has a very decent track record. I think any extrovert manager comes across as a bit comical be that Mourinho, Holloway etc would rather have them than the ultra boring

sydnsteve
29-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I hate, we need to bring in players on 4 yr contracts who we can develop either to sell on or help us grow. Chamakh is shit and it just furthers us looking like an utter joke this season. For those about to flame, perhaps register on and other teams forums and just ask what they think of Palace's chances.

WTF is the point of this? we are the last team promoted, so are naturally favs to go down (they mostly do). Hull and Cardiff are able to splash the cash, we are not. If we do go down it is essential we do so sensibly. So of course we need to try to stay up but the last thing we need is to do a QPR or a Wolves in the process.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:54 AM
And you know these facts about their bids and wage offers how exactly? Are you working in their finance department on the side?

**** sake you live in a dreamworld but results are the cold hard steal and with our squad as it is we'll be lucky to get 20 pts

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't say that he was a bad manager in my post. I just said that he was a clown and one who can't keep his gob shut.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:56 AM
WTF is the point of this? we are the last team promoted, so are naturally favs to go down (they mostly do). Hull and Cardiff are able to splash the cash, we are not. If we do go down it is essential we do sop sensibly. So of scourse we need to try to stay up but the last thing we need is to do a QPR or a Wolves in the process.

There's a difference between splashing cash and what we are doing.

jimos_uk
29-07-2013, 09:57 AM

I'm not about to flame (as such), but to say that a rumour 'furthers us looking like an utter joke this season' is right up there with the most spectacularly stupid things I have read on this board.

Firstly, it's a rumour.

Secondly, the season hasn't even started yet.

Thirdly, there is plenty of time for more signings.

Fourthly, we're Palace, write us off at your peril.

I could go on, but there really is no realism on these boards at the moment. We're obviously going to struggle, in the same way that promoted clubs usually do, but for goodness sake, let them step out against Spurs before relegating us.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Anyway I'll leave you guys to bitch it out amongst yourselves. I've said my piece and true to form, it was met with the 'how dare you say anything bad about IH' response.

Penstone Eagle
29-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybe you would like to share a few examples of the abundance of attacking breaks and clear scoring opportunities that we created on Saturday? I'm more than happy for people to challenge what I write, but can you back it up please?
I must say apart from some shots from outside the area, mostly out of the ground by dobbie, I can only recall J Thomas bearing down on goal, Gayles pace was wasted

plectrum
29-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I didn't say that he was a bad manager in my post. I just said that he was a clown and one who can't keep his gob shut.

I think he's fine and I also think occasionally the non football chair people need to be told that they can't expect a perfect business model since football is all manner of ****ed up.

He's right we need players and signings yesterday. Any how nothing but crap being linked do at present I'm less than apathetic.

Spend some serious cash on players going somewhere with clear development potential and sell on value and this greatly mitigates the risks of losing significant cash.

brighton_eagle
29-07-2013, 10:00 AM
We can't start getting picky.

This guy has international pedigree and performing well for Arsenal and Crystal Palace are two completley different things (Although he did has an uninspiring spell at West Ham...).

This guy or Wilbs? Its a no brainer.

It's not time to panic yet. And this link smells of panic to me.

Kirby
29-07-2013, 10:00 AM
but didn't exactly pull up any trees at West Ham last season.

He only played three games!

Naboo
29-07-2013, 10:01 AM
For those about to flame, perhaps register on and other teams forums and just ask what they think of Palace's chances.

Are they the same forums that said we would lose to Brighton and then to Watford? We are and always will be underdogs and that's how we like it, I like the transfer business we have done so far and I'm sure we will add to that in the next couple weeks.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Ever thought to yourselves, why Clubs spend millions on players and wages, in a League which only four teams can win?

It's all bullshit when you look at it that way.

glaziers fan
29-07-2013, 10:03 AM
He'd be a gamble, but he's the right kind of striker - decent age, good experience, and could play the lone striker's role (good in the air, pace and can just about hold it up). If we could get him for 20k a week he'd be worth a punt for a season. I'd rather sign someone younger, but that's mega money.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm not about to flame (as such), but to say that a rumour 'furthers us looking like an utter joke this season' is right up there with the most spectacularly stupid things I have read on this board.

Firstly, it's a rumour.

Secondly, the season hasn't even started yet.

Thirdly, there is plenty of time for more signings.

Fourthly, we're Palace, write us off at your peril.

I could go on, but there really is no realism on these boards at the moment. We're obviously going to struggle, in the same way that promoted clubs usually do, but for goodness sake, let them step out against Spurs before relegating us.
As it currently stand Spurs are going to humble us 4-5 to 0

917L
29-07-2013, 10:10 AM

First 25 minutes we were very good

Keeper made good saves from Gayle and Thomas (who should have scored)

Wilbraham missed with a header any decent forward would have scored from, and he had a shot from outside the box saved. Dobbie put a freekick just over the bar

We had complete control of the game for this period and it just looked like a continuation of Gillingham

Then Crawley scored from pretty much nothing.

Rest of the half was more even but we were still the better team

2nd half was a mess with the 3rd choice full backs being totally outplayed and the midfield being over run. Add the fact we had no proper forward playing, just a triallist who pitched up just efore the game and its not such a surprise. Crawleys two additional goals were a result of poor keeping and shocking defending

brighton_eagle
29-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Oh do one.

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Ever thought to yourselves, why Clubs spend millions on players and wages, in a League which only four teams can win?

And a league that so many decry as an outrage to football, yet still get so worked up about staying in?

Actually, one of the problems of the Prem is this very thread. 65K a week (if true) for a player of seemingly limited ability and one who certainly has struggled to make an impact. wow.

917L
29-07-2013, 10:11 AM
. For those about to flame, perhaps register on and other teams forums and just ask what they think of Palace's chances.

Why should we give a toss what other cubs forums are saying?

FraserH
29-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Lets just give up now and not bother taking part in the season.

I admit this signing wouldn't fill me with joy but get a grip.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 10:13 AM

As its stands there are six or seven top end teams that could beat six or seven of us bottom end teams 6-0. A excellent window (within reason) still wouldn't change that - the gulf is so big.

Spurs are on the correct trajectory to finish third next season, they should be beating us, and they almost certainly will. We are not particularly competing with them.

PauLo
29-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Why should we give a toss what other cubs forums are saying?

He just wants you sign up to the forum of the club he actually supports.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Bendtner is a far better a player from Arsenal on lower wages, could be bought outright or loaned . He's a proper target man and he's a better record.

I wouldn't be particularly convinced about him either but he's far better than Chamakh

Naboo
29-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Do us a favour and don't go then.. You come across as the type that starts booing when we concede a goal

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Oh do one.

We certainly need defence strenthening. And some more width. And another decent striker. All of which IH knows. 0-5 is entirely possible of course. But by itself will mean nothing.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Have you ever thought to yourself why millions of people buy a lottery ticket for a draw only 1 set of numbers is going to win.

Probably as relevant.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 10:19 AM

What have their pre-season results been?

Conversely Bayern Munich were winning all their pre-seasons by 4 or 5 goal margins, but what happened in their first competitive fixture?

Mr Palace
29-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Signings will come, rest assured.

It's all about the art of negotiation, although perhaps we're not the best at this!

Chamakh looked bad for Arsenal and West Ham, but their standards will be higher of course.

I'd still like to see us take a calculated risk on Austin, if Burnley are realistic with the fee. Or someone like Troy Deeney.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 10:23 AM
**** sake you live in a dreamworld but results are the cold hard steal and with our squad as it is we'll be lucky to get 20 pts

Sorry but how is that related to my comment? You asserted that Hull and Cardiff are negotiating with more players and offering higher wages than us - how do you KNOW this?? Do you know what they offer in salaries? Do you know what WE offer in salaries? How many players we are talking to? How many players they are talking to?

Unless you are in the club finance department or an agent you don't.

I have no idea why you think I am in a dreamworld - we need more and better players and I am optimistic we will get some.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 10:23 AM
As its stands there are six or seven top end teams that could beat six or seven of us bottom end teams 6-0. A excellent window (within reason) still wouldn't change that - the gulf is so big.

Spurs are on the correct trajectory to finish third next season, they should be beating us, and they almost certainly will. We are not particularly competing with them.

Nope - at the start of the window I was far more optimistic, we had promise that wed spend and give it a go. The fixture list cam out and I felt very up, and felt by new year we could have over 30 points. At present I think there is a real and growing chance of this being the worst points tally in premier league history.

Joooe
29-07-2013, 10:25 AM
As it currently stand Spurs are going to humble us 4-5 to 0Hate to tell you this, but chances are we'll lose 4/5-0 more than once this season no matter who we sign.

The nature of being a newly promoted side.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry but how is that related to my comment? You asserted that Hull and Cardiff are negotiating with more players and offering higher wages than us - how do you KNOW this?? Do you know what they offer in salaries? Do you know what WE offer in salaries? How many players we are talking to? How many players they are talking to?

Unless you are in the club finance department or an agent you don't.

I have no idea why you think I am in a dreamworld - we need more and better players and I am optimistic we will get some.

None here know anything with factual certainty,we go by what we read on press on boards and Internet.

Didn't Cardiff offer Ince 40k per week and Blackpool 8m - seems both serious and unfortunately not something we are prepared to do.

I'm in a rock and hard place since I don't disagree with Cpfc2010 not offering stupid wages but whilst all others are going exactly that, it goes mean we are going to get trounced this season unless something miraculous happens

doogleboy
29-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Austin, Chamakh and Gayle. Not bad at all.

nathe
29-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I love the fact that other fans are underestimating us. Its when we are at our best. I am disapointed that some of our own fans are writing us off.

We will surprise a few teams this season.

Ard
29-07-2013, 10:30 AM
For me, signings like Cole and Chamakh remind me of Akinbiyi. Expensive options, very much out of form.

I don't see the problem in saying it how it is on this message board either, if you don't agree with certain players the club are linked to, then you should be able to say why without the boring "who would you sign then" comments

Celestial Empire
29-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Probably just a wind-up from the marvellous Sun.
Overpaid player who hasn't done it for Arsenal, and they can't shift.
Joke, no-hope Palace. Mix the two, Wenger taunted and made to look silly, Palace put in their (punch-bag/standing joke) place, for the armchair numptys ?:rolleyes:
It's why I cancelled my Sky subscription.
Note: no judgement on Chamakh from me.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 10:42 AM
None here know anything with factual certainty,we go by what we read on press on boards and Internet.

Didn't Cardiff offer Ince 40k per week and Blackpool 8m - seems both serious and unfortunately not something we are prepared to do.

I'm in a rock and hard place since I don't disagree with Cpfc2010 not offering stupid wages but whilst all others are going exactly that, it goes mean we are going to get trounced this season unless something miraculous happens

The papers said we paid 8m+ for Gayle, its just that, papers. As for Ince, sure, that is the going rate on a transfer like that but they didn't get him did they so it is irrelevant. At the moment their sole signings are an untried Danish striker for similar money to Gayle, and a Championship full back for 1.5m.

Hull have signed a keeper on a free, a failed striker on a loan another keeper for around 1.5m and Sagbo.

And we have absolutely NO idea what their wages are and none of us know who else they are looking for, other than the story about Cardiff and a French midfielder and the Brentford goalkeeper.

Also, if you don't think that some in our squad will be around 25-30k pw this season you are seriously underestimating the reality of the Premiership.

If you think we are going to get regularly trounced this season and you are getting all stressy about it I suggest that you haven't been around Palace for very long and its probably best you lock yourself in a dark room for 9 months.

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I love the fact that other fans are underestimating us. Its when we are at our best. I am disapointed that some of our own fans are writing us off.

Why disapointed? I base my view on several things - late to the promotion party, histroy tells us the likelihood of promoted teams going down, we are not prepared to offer silly money (rightly) and oh - this is Palace!

Sure we will surprise a team or 2, but I don't rate our chances of staying up. That's neither being disloyal nor a dig at the owners or manager.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 10:51 AM

But Cardiff have signed 1 player, for 7.5m who has never kicked a ball in English football. They are miles ahead of us in the transfer market!!!

They are due to sign a couple more this week and i am sure we have irons in the fire too.

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Chamakh has been below both Carlton Cole and Gervinho at his last two clubs.

HTH.

GDP
29-07-2013, 11:15 AM

For Christ sake cheer up and show a little bit of backbone will you. We were relegation favourites last season and that didn't end up turning out too bad.

If you agree with CPFC2010 policy of not wanting to put us on a road to another administration then you'll have to get used to the fact that we'll miss out on a hell of a lot of players.

Everyone at the club, players, staff and fans alike know we still need a few more coming in but let's give the lads who got us here a little bit of respect can we please.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 11:16 AM
But Cardiff have signed 1 player, for 7.5m who has never kicked a ball in English football. They are miles ahead of us in the transfer market!!!

They are due to sign a couple more this week and i am sure we have irons in the fire too.

I guess this is sarcasm:

a) who cares that he has never kicked a ball in English football - there are countless examples of foreign players doing incredibly well just as there are British ones doing badly.

b) they look far more likely to pick up better players since they are spending more on transfer fees and offering higher wages.

c) they have a richer chairman, more investment and now they dont even have the debt for people here to point out constantly in an ever increasingly boring manner.

but I guess most importantly - I dont give a **** about Cardiff. I care about CPFC and what we are doing which is close to sweet FA.

The signings/new contracts we have made are an absolute joke - Dobbie, Phillips, Gabbidon, Ramage.

Campana & Gayle whilst I am happy to take the risk; are incredibly high risk - one has been seriously injured early in his career and the other has had a season in Championship.

If we weren't eternal optimists I think most reasonable people would have said Gayle should have at least another season in the Championship but since his club Peterborough were relegated there was little choice for him.

I'm still more than happy to have the pair but not though the rest above, we need to spend our cash now on players that will push the club forward for the next 5-10 years. We want to be in a position where regardless of the outcome by next May we have a squad that is young and promising rather than much coming towards the end of their careers.

Look next May: Gabbidon, Delaney, Murray, Ramage, Speroni, Phillips, Dobbie, Thomas, McCarthy, Wilbraham - all over 30 and Jedinak and KG at 29.

That's 12 players out of a possible 25 with near zero sell on fee, zero asset value to the club. All that will need to be replaced.

It's all well and good hoping that next year or the year after we will still have cash to replace these but we won't have the stature of being a premiership club.

There are players in abundance who strive for the opportunity to play in the premiership - just look at Nat Clyne when Southamptin came for him.

I'm happy to be supportive of the club but they need to buy 6-8 players like Gayle and Campana as if one or two really break through and become a star that covers all the rest who I'm sure will be quality players none the less.

This next season I would love to see us really get stuck in to the development of Garvan, Moxey, Ward, Parr and believe they should be rotated with similar ilk.

It's not that I don't appreciate its tough to do deals especially for us who tries to be financially prudent but what is frustrating is the ******* dross we are going for - Chamakh, Cole, crocked as **** Gosling, unknown Austrian shite, poor attitude, trouble making Owusu.

Why dont we go for players that work ******* hard for their team and perform - we've seen the names here the likes of Bridcutt or even serious loan bids for Vydra etc rather than the above.

Anyhow will keep on watching with huge interest but not pussy footing around here anymore - neg rep, call in the doombusters but **** the scatter gun, **** the shotgun..... its shooting from the hip time.

Enfield eagle
29-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Chamakh is rubbish lazy and a waste of space. According to at lead 20 arse fans I know.
No thanks.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Have you ever thought to yourself why millions of people buy a lottery ticket for a draw only 1 set of numbers is going to win.

Probably as relevant.

To win a million, on a tiny outlay? Your point being exactly what?

Unless your strategy on a Saturday night, is to purposely spend a million to win a pound, I'd say that was a bit of a daft statement you have just made.

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2013, 11:24 AM
... they have a richer chairman, more investment and now they dont even have the debt for people here to point out constantly in an ever increasingly boring manner.....

Where did Cardiff's debt (90m i recall) suddenly disappear to?

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 11:26 AM
To win a million, on a tiny outlay? Your point being exactly what?

Unless your strategy on a Saturday night, is to purposely spend a million to win a pound, I'd say that was a bit of a daft statement you have just made.

Gonzo's tactic on a Saturday night is spend a million for a chance f a bit of claw from some slosher, but that's beside the point.

Sleeping Giant
29-07-2013, 11:28 AM
This could hardly epitomise the type of signing I don't want more.

Billyd
29-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Incredibly lazy player who doesnt score much. Just because he plays for Arsenal expect the usual comments.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Where did Cardiff's debt (90m i recall) suddenly disappear to?
Their chairman bought it I think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23413195

Nick Servini
BBC Wales business correspondent
The debt to the Swiss-based company Langston, linked to the former chairman Sam Hammam, has been hanging over Cardiff City for many years.

At one stage it was even argued over at the High Court in London.

We don't know what the final settlement is but the latest company accounts show the debt was worth 15m, which became 19m after interest charges of 7%.

There's also a one-off payment of 5m payable if the club secured promotion to the Premier League.

The other intriguing part of the debt is that the future naming rights of the Cardiff City stadium were wrapped up in it as well so an agreement could pave the way for a new name for the ground.

But settling this legacy debt was always going to have a bigger impact than just the matter of 24m because Cardiff City's overall debts are far greater than that, and most of them are owed to Vincent Tan himself, who has bankrolled the club in recent years.

Last week the Malaysian tycoon said he would wipe out all of those debts by converting them to shares if he settled the Langston loan.

Currently Vincent Tan has fewer than half of the shares in the club; if he converts massive debt into new shares that are issued to him then he will be left owning the vast majority of the shares in the club.

It means the club will become debt free as it enters the Premier League and avoid having to pay millions of pounds in interest payments every year.

Danny boy
29-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Considering we're only being linked with strikers who cannot score I would like someone who has a half decent scoring record.

PauLo
29-07-2013, 11:33 AM
plectrum followed by Danny boy. The gullible are being double teamed :(

CaterhamEagle
29-07-2013, 11:33 AM
People love a good panic, and also to react angrily to those who are panicking.

If we sign no-one else, we're in significant trouble. Holloway knows that, the board know that. We will sign more players, and from the sounds of it, sooner rather than later as we approach August.

Back to Chamakh - he hasn't played much at all recently, but used to be very good. Assuming there is a thread of truth in this, if Holloway can get him to rediscover some of his previous quality, he clearly can offer something to Palace.

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Their chairman bought it I think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23413195

.The debt to the Swiss-based company Langston, linked to the former chairman Sam Hammam, has been hanging over Cardiff City for many years.

At one stage it was even argued over at the High Court in London.

We don't know what the final settlement is but the latest company accounts show the debt was worth 15m, which became 19m after interest charges of 7%.

They still owe Sam Hammam nearly 20M! Blimey, that guy is a **** of the first order. Ken Bates, but with better PR.

Tomo
29-07-2013, 11:40 AM
A striker who once scored goals, signed by one of the best teams in Europe and then lost his way a little bit, but still young enough to hopefully want to prove himself and may just thrive on being one of the main men…

CPFC_DAVE77
29-07-2013, 11:41 AM

If we sign no-one else, we're in significant trouble. Holloway knows that, the board know that. We will sign more players, and from the sounds of it, sooner rather than later as we approach August.

Back to Chamakh - he hasn't played much at all recently, but used to be very good. Assuming there is a thread of truth in this, if Holloway can get him to rediscover some of his previous quality, he clearly can offer something to Palace.

You say he used to be very good, but were is the truth in that? I admit, my knowledge of French football is limited, but he seems to have averaged around 1/5 when at Bordeaux, is that really that good? I don't even know for the life of me why Wenger signed him? After being kept out of teams by Gervinho and Carlton Cole, I really do not want us to go after him.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I guess this is sarcasm:

a) who cares that he has never kicked a ball in English football - there are countless examples of foreign players doing incredibly well just as there are British ones doing badly.

It was more a point they have signed 1 player for a lot of money who is a gamble.

b) they look far more likely to pick up better players since they are spending more on transfer fees and offering higher wages.

See: QPR

but I guess most importantly - I dont give a **** about Cardiff. I care about CPFC and what we are doing which is close to sweet FA.

You care enough about Cardiff to have compared our activity to theirs, now when that comparison is shot out of the water you 'don't care'!

The signings/new contracts we have made are an absolute joke - Dobbie, Phillips, Gabbidon, Ramage.

Dobbie was a deal that was signed in January, his goals helped take us up.
Phillips was the man who scored to get us up and will have a small role to play on the pitch. His value off the pitch is enourmous and hid signing will help improve us for years!
Gabbidon was a major reason why we conceeded so few in the final weeks. It was after he came back into the side and the defence settled that we puhed onwards and upwards.
Ramage was offered a contract prior to Wembley and signed it regardless of which division we were in.

Campana & Gayle whilst I am happy to take the risk; are incredibly high risk - one has been seriously injured early in his career and the other has had a season in Championship.

Unfortunatley Xavi and Inesta were too pricey. We have to take gambles on players because if they were clear finished articles and guaranteed to be great in teh Premiership, we will be priced out. Can you name a Premiership sure thing for 1.7m?

I'm still more than happy to have the pair but not though the rest above, we need to spend our cash now on players that will push the club forward for the next 5-10 years. We want to be in a position where regardless of the outcome by next May we have a squad that is young and promising rather than much coming towards the end of their careers.

Look next May: Gabbidon, Delaney, Murray, Ramage, Speroni, Phillips, Dobbie, Thomas, McCarthy, Wilbraham - all over 30 and Jedinak and KG at 29.

That's 12 players out of a possible 25 with near zero sell on fee, zero asset value to the club. All that will need to be replaced.

I was not aware of the Premier League retirement age of 30, someone should let Phillips know! You cannot have a squad/team of young players with potential and 'sell on value' alone, you need to blend it with experience. Then there is the fact that next May we will know if we have another Premiership bonanza or if we are restructuring for the Championship again, which may determine who stays and goes.

It's not that I don't appreciate its tough to do deals especially for us who tries to be financially prudent but what is frustrating is the ******* dross we are going for - Chamakh, Cole, crocked as **** Gosling, unknown Austrian shite, poor attitude, trouble making Owusu.

Why dont we go for players that work ******* hard for their team and perform - we've seen the names here the likes of Bridcutt or even serious loan bids for Vydra etc rather than the above.

Anyhow will keep on watching with huge interest but not pussy footing around here anymore - neg rep, call in the doombusters but **** the scatter fun, **** the shotgun..... its shooting from the hip time.

How long before he signed did you know we were looking at Jedinak, or Parr, or several other players. We tend to keep our business pretty quite now. Not to mention the fact there are 5 weeks left to get the deals done, we are not in panic mode and need to keep calm. Last year it was not until after the season had started and teh window was about to close we brought in several players who would play key roles last season. This season may be the same. As the window closure approachs clubs and players with unrealisitc demands may change their minds on offers we have made, we may decide (especially having played a couple of games) that we will meet another clubs or players valuation and pay what is needed.

Looking at teh clubs around us, Sunderland have gone crazy (which may or may not work for them) but most of the others are getting a few deals done but nothing special.

We just need to have patience, its not liek Holloway and teh owners don't know where we could strengthen, the only difference is they probably know who is available and the relative costs.

hdeagle
29-07-2013, 11:46 AM
According to the media Cardiff's owner Vincent Tan was threatening to walk away from them last week calling their fans ungrateful for resisting his changes after he has put 100m into the club.

Could the alarm bells start ringing if Cardiff's big money signings do not hit the ground running and they are struggling to stay in the Premiership.

Palace are being sensible in not putting all their eggs in one basket, but instead only spending what we can afford so as to not jeopardise their future.

Loans and free transfers are plentiful as clubs reduce their squads and reduce their overheads.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 11:49 AM
They still owe Sam Hammam nearly 20M! Blimey, that guy is a **** of the first order. Ken Bates, but with better PR.

We shall wait and see if he agrees a settlement, which the article above said Tan 'hoped' to do. At present they still have a massive debt with millions of pounds of interest payments each year.

Even if Tan get the deal done and turns his loans into Equity it will still mean he has ploughed 120m into the club, is it really worth that? If not they are a significant loss making business that needs propping up.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Gonzo.

difference of opinions - I just don't feel our squad is anywhere near PL quality and I think we're being linked with players that won't get us survival and don't add to the long term value of the club.

NorthPalace23
29-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Worth a shot if possible!

He was highly rated at Bourdeux. I know a fan of that club who raves about him.

dowieslovechild
29-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Gonzo.

difference of opinions - I just don't feel our squad is anywhere near PL quality and I think we're being linked with players that won't get us survival and don't add to the long term value of the club.

They bloody better be! I've got Jedi and Campana in my Dreamteam this year :D

Jay_eagle
29-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Great post.

CaterhamEagle
29-07-2013, 12:18 PM
You say he used to be very good, but were is the truth in that? I admit, my knowledge of French football is limited, but he seems to have averaged around 1/5 when at Bordeaux, is that really that good? I don't even know for the life of me why Wenger signed him? After being kept out of teams by Gervinho and Carlton Cole, I really do not want us to go after him.

I lived in France while he played for Bordeaux, so saw him quite a lot. While I was there his ratio was about 1 in 3. Maybe I saw him at his peak.

Naboo
29-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Considering we're only being linked with strikers who cannot score I would like someone who has a half decent scoring record.

Such as?

Jay_eagle
29-07-2013, 12:23 PM
The only other thing I can remember about chamakh was his dodgy barnet and the fact he chipped in a good few amount of goals for Arsenal a few seasons back.

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Chamakh has been below both Carlton Cole and Gervinho at his last two clubs.

HTH.

But Gervihno and C. Cole are not players that we are able to sign. We thought Cole was due to come here and certainly many fans were warming to the idea. Now that is a non-starter.

Chamakh is potentailly a different prospect because it'd be a loan and so we'd have a set and finite financial outlay for his services that won't burden us going foward. That is important.

Compaing the two? Christ knows. We can only go on what opposition fans tell us (and even then it can't be trusted as we found out from signing Bolasie). I'd say Arsenal or Chelsea fans lambasting a players quality is almost irrelevant as far as we are concerned as they are used to seeing some of the worlds very best on show.

Im neither for or against this as I know barely anything about him. I do, however, trust the manager to know what he is looking for. If Chamakh fits that bill then I'll fully get behind him if he signs.

As for the other debates on here - it really is getting to silly season with the panic manifesting in some posters. Whether we like it or not, our clubs history tells us that we are a 2nd tier side who has some brief flings with the top flight. I do hope that one day we'll establish ourselves as a top flight club but I doubt we'll ever be on par with the clubs who finish in the top 4 each year. The West Broms / Southamptons / Villa's of this world is about our limit I feel and that'd take a serious overhaul of our infrastructure which is the most significant benefit of this promotion.

Whether we spunk tonnes at it and still struggle away or spend realtively little and try and develop our own players into top flight players I doubt we'll see massive differences. Therefore lets put as much moeny towards the future of the club whilst still remaining competitive.

We are best as an underdog woefully underestimated by all and sundry and I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's enjoy our (at least) one season in the top flight and let those employed to manage the club get on with the worrying.

Neckinger Eagle
29-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Let's be honest, anybody who thought that Palace would be in the market for any players that are game changers in the Premiership or other top European leagues were deluding themselves. People like Cole, Odemwingie and Chamakh are where Palace are, or at least aspire too.

I'm getting a feeling of disappointment when I see some of these players linked, but realistically they are still a step up from what we have in the squad right now.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Gonzo.

God you seem to want to twist and turn with the wind.

Can you name ONE poster who thinks our squad is PL quality? No.......some reckon there are players who make the transition while IH, like most promoted managers, also feels that the majority should be given a chance, while also STRENGTHENING the squad during the ENTIRE transfer window - which runs for 5 more weeks with three of them being before we even kick a ball in anger.

The vast majority of the players we have been "linked" with, actually have no connection at all with us - probably just an agent tring to drum up some business. In most cases players arrive after a week at most of news coming out. Probably 90% of the rumours are rubbish. So far the ONLY players we are known to have actively pursued and actually missed out on as opposed to turned down are:

Beardy Guy - wanted to play rather than be loaned
Gosling - no one knows the real truth but probably injury related
Cole - sky high wage demands
Shelvey - preferred Swansea & Europe

while we have brought in 2 high potential (or risk - which way are you leaning at the moment on that one??) players in Gayle & Campana, a solid senior player in Thomas and we confirmed Dobbie. As GG says, Phillips is more for experience than playing now.

And while we are at it, we have quite a few young high potential players already like Williams, Boateng, Sow, Allessani & co.

All promoted team have struggled to get high quality names throughout the entire history of the PL. Players don't like wage cut on relegation contracts, teams up via the play offs have two different target lists so are behind on time, expectation of a struggle doesn't appeal to many players.

You complain about us not matching wages etc with Cardiff or Hull - with no solid proof that we aren't, you want "high potential" players with sell on values which will inevitably be expensive - think Gayle, think Rhodes at Blackburn.

And you are worried we might get beaten heavily a few times - well get real, we will. There are two PLs - the top half a dozen and the rest and the rest fight relegation every year.

Experience is just as useful and vital as potential in trying to stay up.

Dazron
29-07-2013, 12:42 PM
...remember AJ...

Jono14
29-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Started off well at Arsenal then fell off the radar. Think he would do well here, 6 month loan can't hurt.

cockles
29-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Decisions on signing players like this is where managers earn their corn.

If (as is rumoured by the Sun) IH thinks he can improve this player, then really who is anyone to say he can't.

Strikers form can vary wildly from club to club, many often only really perform when they're the "main man" and this guy certainly hasn't been that at Arsenal. He doesn't exactly have a RVP to contend with at Palace, nor loads of midfielders who all want to shoot from distance.

If I were a fringe Premiership striker right now, I'd see the Glenn Murray shaped spot up front for Palace to be great opportunity to get goals and impress. This guy should value that. So should a few others.

Young Trolley
29-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I wish these doomongers would f*** off, we're in the premier league ffs, 2 years ago we nearly didn't have a club. Just enjoy it, if we go down, we go down but we do so in a healthy position and can come back stronger. Look how many up and downs wba went through before they finally stabilised?

plectrum
29-07-2013, 01:13 PM
And you are worried we might get beaten heavily a few times - well get real, we will. There are two PLs - the top half a dozen and the rest and the rest fight relegation every year.

Nope at present i'm worried that we are going to get thrashed and humiliated and thus in January - no-one decent will want to come to us neither with experience or youth and then in the summer we will be back in the ******* gloomy Championship.

We have experience who will play - Delaney is a good CB, Speroni is a good goalkeeper, Jedinak is a good defensive midfielder and Murray is a good striker. They all bring experience.

We also have plenty of other players of experience now in the squad so I'd buy lots of emerging youth and do it quickly.

I'd also push the envelope a little and take just a bit of a risk.

its hard here for people to say well what would you do because then you get flamed for that too.

let's just see what IH and CPFC2010 do and then comment on that - at the moment our manager agrees with people like me and not people like you i.e. its not going well, we are not getting the signings and time is running out.

Look I do understand the issue - to really give yourself a very good chance of finishing in the top 15 - we'd need to spend perhaps 30-40m on players and have an average squad wage bill of ~ 25-30k which would be 39m per year ... huge.

But the investment in players would not be cyclical as once you have a core group, you'd then add less season by season and so considering the basic income is 60m does that mean a wage bill of ~ 40m is sustainable.

I don't know or understand the rest of the overheads of a premiership club but then I also do not know how our attendance and our sponsorship would rise if we ended 12th in the PL.

joyce the voice
29-07-2013, 01:32 PM
God you seem to want to twist and turn with the wind.

Can you name ONE poster who thinks our squad is PL quality? No.......some reckon there are players who make the transition while IH, like most promoted managers, also feels that the majority should be given a chance, while also STRENGTHENING the squad during the ENTIRE transfer window - which runs for 5 more weeks with three of them being before we even kick a ball in anger.

The vast majority of the players we have been "linked" with, actually have no connection at all with us - probably just an agent tring to drum up some business. In most cases players arrive after a week at most of news coming out. Probably 90% of the rumours are rubbish. So far the ONLY players we are known to have actively pursued and actually missed out on as opposed to turned down are:

Beardy Guy - wanted to play rather than be loaned
Gosling - no one knows the real truth but probably injury related
Cole - sky high wage demands
Shelvey - preferred Swansea & Europe

while we have brought in 2 high potential (or risk - which way are you leaning at the moment on that one??) players in Gayle & Campana, a solid senior player in Thomas and we confirmed Dobbie. As GG says, Phillips is more for experience than playing now.

And while we are at it, we have quite a few young high potential players already like Williams, Boateng, Sow, Allessani & co.

All promoted team have struggled to get high quality names throughout the entire history of the PL. Players don't like wage cut on relegation contracts, teams up via the play offs have two different target lists so are behind on time, expectation of a struggle doesn't appeal to many players.

You complain about us not matching wages etc with Cardiff or Hull - with no solid proof that we aren't, you want "high potential" players with sell on values which will inevitably be expensive - think Gayle, think Rhodes at Blackburn.

great post

GDP
29-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Plectrum for our club to move forward we need to sort the ground out, it's as simple as that. The money we will get from this Premiership season will go a long way helping this.

We can't mortgage our future again just in the hope of getting another year in the Premiership.

We've got a decent manager and a decent squad. But if it turns out this isn't good enough and we're gonna take a few hidings then we'll just have to live with it.

In four or five years time hopefully things will be taking shape and it'll all be worth it.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Plectrum for our club to move forward we need to sort the ground out, it's as simple as that. The money we will get from this Premiership season will go a long way helping this.

We can't mortgage our future again just in the hope of getting another year in the Premiership.

We've got a decent manager and a decent squad. But if it turns out this isn't good enough and we're gonna take a few hidings then we'll just have to live with it.

In four or five years time hopefully things will be taking shape and it'll all be worth it.

GDP

I feel (this may be illjudged) that it is possible to buy players who have the potential to be worth a lot more in a year or two than now.

As for the ground issue, i'm a little confused on this topic - whilst it super nice to have a new 40,000 capacity stadium - what's the point?

We have a 27,000 capacity stadium and until we are bursting at the seems what is the urgent need to increase?

I appreciate support brings income etc but its only in the premiership that would allow us to have those crowds.

The clubs that many here would state as being successful are prioritising on their teams and not stadiums be that Norwich or Swansea both with small stadiums.

Anyhow - no stadium work will begin for at least a year or two and we do have a guaranteed 60m in parachute payments or more if we stay up.

Personally i'd get the team stable and good enough to get a regular top 15 in PL as then I am sure you would see season ticket numbers grow considerably and we would get 25k each match and then grow the stadium or relocate.

Joooe
29-07-2013, 01:52 PM
The Chamakh that played at Bordeaux would be a fantastic signing.

GDP
29-07-2013, 01:59 PM
The problem is if we get it wrong with the transfers, spend a fortune and still get relegated, the one chance that we have to regenerate the ground will be gone.

In my opinion it's too risky. We have to assemble a squad within our budget and try our hardest to maintain our Premiership status. I don't think we're far off, a couple of decent signings and we can compete.

Everyone knows our current squad, with Murray injured, is not strong enough. But you're crazy if you think SP is oblivious to this.

We do what we can with our available budget. If anything our owners should be given credit for not allowing mercanaries to take us to the cleaners.

But we've still got a month or so before the window shuts, i'd be amazed if we've not bought 2 or 3 players before then.

gw_eagle97
29-07-2013, 02:00 PM
The Chamakh that played at Bordeaux would be a fantastic signing.

This.

Corporal Jones
29-07-2013, 02:02 PM
No thanks.

I'd rather see Palace give Paddy Madden a chance.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 02:06 PM
The problem is if we get it wrong with the transfers, spend a fortune and still get relegated, the one chance that we have to regenerate the ground will be gone.

I do understand that but still what is the point? Also the complexity in the stadium refurb is large - really we would need to totally flatten Selhurst & Sainsbury and build something state of the art. At present perhaps there is the money but we would need somewhere to play for 1 season.

Redoing bits and bobs of Selhurst will be shit.

Also if CPFC2010 really came out with a proper costed plan about what we are doing, i'm sure the fans including myself would be a lot more relaxed.

At present its all so vague.

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I do understand that but still what is the point? Also the complexity in the stadium refurb is large - really we would need to totally flatten Selhurst & Sainsbury and build something state of the art. At present perhaps there is the money but we would need somewhere to play for 1 season.

Also if CPFC2010 really came out with a proper costed plan about what we are doing, i'm sure the fans including myself would be a lot more relaxed.

Jesus - get real. Public companies don't share details like this (even if they had it yet) with the world at large..........you seem to live in a fantasy world

TC EAGLE
29-07-2013, 02:20 PM
6 month loan deal is perfect he gets game time to impress other suiters we get the best from him in that time and then Muzza returns

plectrum
29-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Jesus - get real. Public companies don't share details like this (even if they had it yet) with the world at large..........you seem to live in a fantasy world

It's a new ground not the new IPhone.

Crunchie

Well said.

However with regards to Chamakh, I am not usually this negative, but I hope this is just one of those Sun's made up stories.

brooklynlou

Its not our fault you missed the live web chat with the owners. ...

GDP

It's been a bit vague at the moment because like you said it's a very complex issue.

Im hoping there will be a detailed plan by the end of the season, perhaps well before then. But it's obviously something that we have to get right and that does take time.

But we've seen once a club has a new ground it can kick on and go to another level.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Its not our fault you missed the live web chat with the owners. ...

What came out of that one?

Zonco
29-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I saw quite a lot of Chamakh when he first played for Arsenal and thought he was a talented and brave player. But The expectations and competition for places at Arsenal is so high that it is easy for a player to lose their way, as he did. And West Ham didn't appear to give him much of a chance.

If he played regularly for us it would be the first time he had managed regulae football for several seasons and we might just see a revitalised player with something to prove.

Of course its a risk but I would be excited by the prospect

plectrum
29-07-2013, 02:29 PM
thanks for the chats, let's see if this week brings anyone decent.

RAB
29-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I've always rated this bloke but felt he had a huge lack of confidence at Arsenal. He seems fairly good in the the air. Maybe he needs some TLC at a club where the demands on him will be more modest.

The problem Palace seem to have is that any player of quality they show interest in (or reported) then gets caught up in the Palace system of negotiations and process, if it actually gets that far and our main rivals to stay up will look to frustrate any hopes Holloway has to add to the squad by offering more or just getting in the way.

If only Palace could move in the transfer market with stealth and SPEED!

brooklynlou
29-07-2013, 02:38 PM
What came out of that one?

Non-disclosure agreement. Not allowed to tell. Sorry.

:clown:

917L
29-07-2013, 02:47 PM
No thanks.

I'd rather see Palace give Paddy Madden a chance.

We dont need another 'might be a gem' striker

We need some top level experience

Stellavista
29-07-2013, 02:53 PM
We dont need another 'might be a gem' striker

We need some top level experience

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that the squad can get away with anything less than two more experienced strikers is nuts.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Whilst we are in the PL the money we get on the gate, corporate sponsorship and entertaining at Selhurst is largely irrelevant. IF we are guaranteed to stay up we should spend the lot on the team. But it is not guaranteed.

Just ask Brighton what the effect on income is of a 30,000 new ground with decent facilities, and in the Football League matchday and corporate income becomes far more important.

There has to be a balance somewhere inbetween and i think they are trying to find that balance. As teh window goes on that may shift slightly too.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Exactly. Anyone who thinks that the squad can get away with anything less than two more experienced strikers is nuts.

2 more premiership experienced strikers are out of our price range unless you say someone like Chamakh counts. Gamble on a player who hasn't quite worked out where he is.

Mickey Gilley
29-07-2013, 02:56 PM
He's barely scored for the last two years, BUT he's barely been given any starts in games. A couple of seasons ago Arsenal played him regulary and he scored double figures. He was no Thierry Henry replacement, but he looked good.

So either his game has lost something and Arsenal therefore don't want to play him, or he's still good but just hasn't been given the chances. My guess is he's still got enough to at least do a job for us in the Premiership. Well worth a loan deal.

Crunchie
29-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Whilst we are in the PL the money we get on the gate, corporate sponsorship and entertaining at Selhurst is largely irrelevant. IF we are guaranteed to stay up we should spend the lot on the team. But it is not guaranteed.

Just ask Brighton what the effect on income is of a 30,000 new ground with decent facilities, and in the Football League matchday and corporate income becomes far more important.

There has to be a balance somewhere inbetween and i think they are trying to find that balance. As teh window goes on that may shift slightly too.

As I said on another thread. Improving the squad on a budget of 30m and a budget of 90m on security and infrastructure is about right on balance I think, but could change slightly as time moves on.

Stellavista
29-07-2013, 03:02 PM
2 more premiership experienced strikers are out of our price range unless you say someone like Chamakh counts. Gamble on a player who hasn't quite worked out where he is.

I would count Chamakh. He's a decent quality player who hasn't really been given a chance. I wouldn't count Madden or Austin, though Austin, Chamakh, Phillips & Gayle, would do for me.

GreatGonzo
29-07-2013, 03:02 PM
As I said on another thread. Improving the squad on a budget of 30m and a budget of 90m on security and infrastructure is about right on balance I think, but could change slightly as time moves on.

I assume that is using the total 120m figure so only 60m of it is coming this season.

Of that our wage bill will need to be at least 20m higher this season unless we want to try and survive on teh leagues lowest wage bill for 5/6 years (excluding Blackpool who tried it and failed). That means that given our approx 3-4m signing in Gayle and 1.7m in Campana, would leave us just over 4m left - not much.

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 03:08 PM
It's a new ground not the new IPhone.

You're a bit clueless aren't you? Perhaps that is a little strong, but the acerbic tone in your posts does prompt it.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=11180126&postcount=1340

Some musings on why not much has been divulged.

Crunchie
29-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I assume that is using the total 120m figure so only 60m of it is coming this season.

Of that our wage bill will need to be at least 20m higher this season unless we want to try and survive on teh leagues lowest wage bill for 5/6 years (excluding Blackpool who tried it and failed). That means that given our approx 3-4m signing in Gayle and 1.7m in Campana, would leave us just over 4m left - not much.

Yes, 30m out of the initial 60m. The rest after this season to be put in the budget for other developments I believe.

Still for our wage bill to be 20m higher, I expect it would take more than 3 players joining the club for it to rise to that figure already. :)

I know some players wages would have gone up on promotion, but I still think we have enough in the kitty to make the 5-6 signings we need, whether on loan or permanent.

Andrews69
29-07-2013, 03:10 PM
He was great at Arsenal until RVP came back from injury.

Then Wenger ousted Chamakh in favour of RVP. Think Chamakh must have lost confidence to get dropped whilst still having a 1 in 2 record.

Then he just couldn't be bothered in the League Cup or for the last 3 minutes of an Arsenal game, knowing he was never going to displace RVP. Then Giroud and Podolski arrive and he's the forgotten man.

I feel sorry for him. Would risk it on loan if wages were reasonable.

Stigma
29-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Could be the vital premiership experience we need in attack.
But why didn't he play much at West Ham?

Sceagle
29-07-2013, 03:49 PM
He looked good when he first joined Arsenal and then just dropped off. Wouldn't entirely be against it, but it's hard not to feel we have better options.

Eagle's Away
29-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Then Wenger ousted Chamakh in favour of RVP. Think Chamakh must have lost confidence to get dropped whilst still having a 1 in 2 record.

Then he just couldn't be bothered in the League Cup or for the last 3 minutes of an Arsenal game, knowing he was never going to displace RVP. Then Giroud and Podolski arrive and he's the forgotten man.

Agree with this. I am sure he would be happy to play as a regular in this League to prove his doubters wrong. The key is the wages.

Rasheed Harkouk
29-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Might as well bring in Jonathan Obika

Andycol
29-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Worth a go on a short term loan. But can we insist he takes that merkin off his head?

Langers
29-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Might as well bring in Jonathan Obika

Chamakh = the new Harkouk :lux:

plectrum
29-07-2013, 05:51 PM
You're a bit clueless aren't you? Perhaps that is a little strong, but the acerbic tone in your posts does prompt it.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=11180126&postcount=1340

Some musings on why not much has been divulged.

thanks but basically it says we can't divulge plans because we haven't done the plans yet.... its a bit duh.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Gonzo but they nearly fill that with avg of 26,212. Do you honestly think in the Championship with a new 40k stadium we would get avg attendances of 26-30k?

Performances bring people at Palace and it has always been that way. Exciting players, lots of goals and performance. I'm happy to be wrong but 25yrs of Palace support tells me differently, South London is fickle.

cockles
29-07-2013, 06:34 PM

This is how I remember it too. Was the main man initially, did well, then wasn't and didn't. The way he tailed off was actually a little like the way Glenn Murray went after being dropped in favour of Easter. The difference for him was that Easter < RVP so Glenn got his place back and the rest is history.

Chamakh looks in need of being given a chance, and we need to be taking a chance, but his wages need to suitably realistic for us.

Seaside Eagle
29-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Easter < RVP

:eek:

Billyd
29-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Just in case we make this kind of signing ive devised a checklist for those ready to make heroic speeches.

- We must trust Holloway
- Plays for Arsenal he must be good
- Hes not lazy Wenger just cant get the best out of him
- Stats arent everything (when looking at goal record)
- Look what Kevin Phillips did
- Anyone anti this signing is anti cpfc2010/Holloway
- The new trump card - Better than Wilbraham!!!!

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 06:59 PM
thanks but basically it says we can't divulge plans because we haven't done the plans yet.... its a bit duh.

If you read it a bit more closely it gives some reasons as to why even if there were some plans they can't be divulged.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Gonzo,

Why don't they just put a sustainable business plan together and work within that signing players that fit.

So make the average wage bill 15000 - squad of 25 - 19.5m and spend a further 20m on players and 20.5m on the club. This also doesn't include any revenue or for instance the current status quo.

Then if we get relegated. No more on players and 15m per season parachute of which the wage surplus between what we were last year i.e. 8000 squad average and now 15,000 per week is 7k i.e. 9.1m.

So for the following 4 years we would pay 9.1m on wages from our 15 and have 4.9 going to the club.

That is also if we wouldnt at one point regain promotion and arguably a team of our best + a further 20m in new players would be one of the stronger squads of the division.

oh .... and there is the 10m from Zaha.

CPFC2010 - just buy some ******* players give them 15k per week and spend 2-3m a player. There's plenty of shit hot players at that money.

Billyd
29-07-2013, 07:00 PM
In all seriousness has been poor for arsenal when ive seen him, but if hes willing to join us it shows something I guess. I hope we dont but we could do worse on a loan, was much more hoping for more young players from lower league/abroad. What has happened to this transfer policy we were going to adopt?

More Gayles & Campanas please.

plectrum
29-07-2013, 07:02 PM
If you read it a bit more closely it gives some reasons as to why even if there were some plans they can't be divulged.
I read it word for word - it was tripe. It's like the bullshit excuses I come up with when I haevn't done something.

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I read it word for word - it was tripe. It's like the bullshit excuses I come up with when I haevn't done something.

:rolleyes:

Well if you judge everyone by your own standards no wonder you think everyone is a do-nothing ****.

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Gonzo,

Why don't they just put a sustainable business plan together and work within that signing players that fit.

So make the average wage bill 15000 - squad of 25 - 19.5m and spend a further 20m on players and 20.5m on the club. This also doesn't include any revenue or for instance the current status quo.

Then if we get relegated. No more on players and 15m per season parachute of which the wage surplus between what we were last year i.e. 8000 squad average and now 15,000 per week is 7k i.e. 9.1m.

So for the following 4 years we would pay 9.1m on wages from our 15 and have 4.9 going to the club.

That is also if we wouldnt at one point regain promotion and arguably a team of our best + a further 20m in new players would be one of the stronger squads of the division.

oh .... and there is the 10m from Zaha.

CPFC2010 - just buy some ******* players give them 15k per week and spend 2-3m a player. There's plenty of shit hot players at that money.

Its that easy isn't it? Like picking up something from the supermarket.

Why don't you just send your CV into the board and show them how it should be done?

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Its that easy isn't it? Like picking up something from the supermarket.

Why don't you just send your CV into the board and show them how it should be done?

I bet SP can't wait to get it. Wonder if he applied for The Apprentice?

sheepy
29-07-2013, 07:36 PM
If his attitude & fitness is right and IH gives him the confidence to play he will be an awesome signing.

Wenger isn't a mug. He saw something in him to sign him in the first place. If we get him back to something near his past form he'll comfortably be the best player at the club.

It's a risk but if IH thinks he can get the best out of him and wages are reasonable it's a no brainer.

bigend1
29-07-2013, 07:38 PM
If he wants to play we could be very good for each other

TopKnot
29-07-2013, 07:40 PM
his hair makes me feel physically sick when I look at it.

Windsor_Eagle
29-07-2013, 07:43 PM
I bet SP can't wait to get it. Wonder if he applied for The Apprentice?

I get billed (fairly) as a positive poster on here. I get why. It is slightly amusing to me as I actually find myself getting as annoyed and as frustrated with Palace as the next fan. However, with my petulant days of youthful exuberence a little behind me now I feel that I can rationalise most of the lows and embrace the highs. Two administrations certainly helped. I look at what other clubs chose to do and I shudder. I look at what we tried to do at various stages in the last 15 years and shudder. I saw fans young and old shed tears when we thought that our club would no longer be and witnessed most say 'never again'.

This particular juncture of our history that seems to have really begun on that balmy night at the AMEX in Septmber 2011 has largely been a huge positive and certainly an upward trajectory of this club compared to the years preceeding it. We are now sat as a Premier League side against all odds. Helped there in no small thanks to a south London lad who just four years earlier was being kept out of the reserve side by Nathaniel Pinney. It is a good old fashioned rags to riches story from a club who has had a habbit of producing them at various stages in our history. It is par for the course of being a Palace fan.

Yet even now when we see ourselves at the beginning of a very exciting and successful few years ahead of us given the financial security that promotion should bring we still find there are those that chose to moan. I don't mean those that try to quash over-elaborate excitement and stop people getting carried away. I don't mean those that tend to view things a little more pessimistically but who do also appreciate that certain things are going well and acknowledge so when they have little option but to acknowledge it. I mean those who know less than what those running the club have forgotten coming on with a sense of entitlement and requiring, no, demanding answers. Who are these cretins? Who do they think they are? What is the secret that they think they know that nobody else employed in the various professional positions within our club do not?

The answer is that they are nobodies and they know nothing. They never offer answers - merely questions and tantrums. I do wish that they'd just be more considered in their postings. If they feel that they geuinely know better than those who they are criticising then I just wish they could provide us with tangible evidence that they are right. Or propose these mystical solutions or answers if they are that glaringly obvious that it is upsetting them so much. If they can't do those things - then I'd wish they'd just **** off.

Garfy
29-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Is this just a rumour in the Sun or is there any substance to it?

PauLo
29-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Just in case we make this kind of signing ive devised a checklist for those ready to make heroic speeches.

- We must trust Holloway

I think we should add one more to that list that being used more and more recently and that's...

- Making lists of predictable things people will say.

FORZA SELHURST
29-07-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't even think this is a gamble and would be happy with a permanent move.

mexicaneagle
29-07-2013, 07:59 PM

- We must trust Holloway

Just in case we don't make this kind of signing I've devised a checklist for those ready to make negative speeches:

- CPFC negotiations take too long and we don't have a clue how to get players over the line
- Failed elsewhere so not good enough
- Journeyman player looking for big pay packet
- Hasn't scored enough in the past - look at his statistics
- Anyone wanting this signing is a blind blinkered fan of management
- We should be blooding academy youth
- We need young hungry players from lower leagues with sell on value

Not a pop: all of your list has been repeated in posts. All of this one too.

Billyd
29-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Just in case we don't make this kind of signing I've devised a checklist for those ready to make negative speeches:

- CPFC negotiations take too long and we don't have a clue how to get players over the line
- Failed elsewhere so not good enough
- Journeyman player looking for big pay packet
- Hasn't scored enough in the past - look at his statistics
- Anyone wanting this signing is a blind blinkered fan of management
- We should be blooding academy youth
- We need young hungry players from lower leagues with sell on value

Not a pop: all of your list has been repeated in posts. All of this one too.

- Our medicals take too long
- Not as good a player as Zaha

:D

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-07-2013, 08:14 PM
No idea on his recent form or progress but I thought he looked a good player at Arsenal and a bit underrated.

Dazron
29-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I don't know who some of you expect us to sign? I think the 120m number has left us all a bit delusional.

Surely what we want is a sensible 'gamble' that will turn into something special and unforeseen in the classic 'AJ' mold. Hands up who was excited about him coming our way as part of a makeweight deal for Morrison? Exactly.

This is a player who Arsene Wenger considered good enough for his first time and for a while he absolutely was. Something happened, and here we are today...

Would be more than happy with this. We want to try and stay up and keep a sensible financial control on this season, surely?

LLCOOLSTEVE
29-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Would much rather Cole

adrenalin john
29-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Hard to know how this would work out.

The guy was clearly showing something in France for Wenger to sign him and give him a long and healthy contract.

But his career never quite took off and Arsene clearly ran out of patience a while back. He did nothing of note at W Ham but whether he was sulking, crap, couldn't quite deal with the loss of face or has simply lost interest or confidence I have no idea.

However on a positive note, if he wants a future contract of any value somewhere next year he needs a bloody good season.

He won't get that sulking in Arsenal reserves and needs to play week in week out, preferably in the premier league and no doubt somewhere close to home...

chrisophiex
29-07-2013, 09:08 PM
His haircut is shit

kabbott
29-07-2013, 09:11 PM
When he was at Bordeaux, my local club Olympique Lyonnais, who were at that time regular Quarter Finalists in the CL, put in a bid for him. I'm not sure why he refused, quite possibly he was hanging on for an English club to come and get him and offer him a bit more cash. He was at that time a good target man but who could also play a bit, good in the air and not too bad with his feet (or at least one of them) either. When he signed for Arsenal, I thought the English game would suit him. Well it seemed to for a while. Didn't he score something like 6 in 6 in a purple patch? As someone said, when RVP came along, his confidence must have taken a bit of a blow and since then hasn't done well at all. Wages of course would be a problem, but he's more than a notch or two above Carlton Cole IMO ...

Raoul Duke
29-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't even think this is a gamble and would be happy with a permanent move.

Yup!