PDA

View Full Version : 8pm kick offs....

farfalpibic
27-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Just out of interest why is it that we KO at 8pm when most others start at 7.45....
From a purely selfish point of view 15 minutes makes no difference in getting to the ground but it puts an extra hour on getting home as we prefer to travel by train to and from the south coast.
Earlier in the day the trains are plentiful but on the way back are basically one per hour.
There are lots of fans travelling from Eastbourne, brighton Hastings, Seaford and Newhaven and the same from Worthing, Littlehampton and the surrounding areas that have to work the next day.
Most have season tickets and find the extra hour getting home a nightmare.

CPFC2010
27-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Just out of interest why is it that we KO at 8pm when most others start at 7.45....
From a purely selfish point of view 15 minutes makes no difference in getting to the ground but it puts an extra hour on getting home as we prefer to travel by train to and from the south coast.
Earlier in the day the trains are plentiful but on the way back are basically one per hour.
There are lots of fans travelling from Eastbourne, brighton Hastings, Seaford and Newhaven and the same from Worthing, Littlehampton and the surrounding areas that have to work the next day.

Palace have had 8pm kick-offs for many years now and the subject has been debated many times on the BBS - including polls - but always with completely split opinions.

I think that the main reason is that the majority of Palace fans do not tend to work (or live) close to the stadium and with South London's terrible traffic those who finish work at 6pm would struggle to make it in time.

disco mixx kidd
27-01-2014, 02:56 PM
plus it gives extra time for pre match beers to settle the nerves :-)

Barbara4003
27-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Plus you know what the other teams have done and have 15 minutes to do better :)

BaldEagle96
27-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Plus you know what the other teams have done and have 15 minutes to do better :)

On that basis wouldn't we better off playing on the Wednesday so we would have more than just 15 minutes knowing how everyone else did?

Tidd99.
27-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Traveling from hampden park Eastbourne tomorrow was thinking the same thing when checking train times you would of thought the train company's would of cottoned on to this and put a extra couple of trains on

Stanzerman
27-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Completely agree m8, a 7.45 kickoff woulld enable me to get home to Hastings about midnight, with the 8 p.m kickoff tomorrow I'm home after 1 a.m, even later if my wife refuses to pick me up from the station! When I lived up there it didnt bother me what time we kicked off now its a real pain. Still cant understand why other London clubs have 7.45 start when we cant, surely our traffic is no worse than theirs.

Norwich_Eagle
28-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Fulham always try to make it 8pm KO's but the local residents refuse to allow it because it would mean thousands of people walking to Putney Bridge or Hammersmith Stations past 10pm, obviously at Selhurst this less of a problem because we have 2 or 3 stations within a shorter distance than those to Cravan Cottage.

Correct me if I am wrong but I also believe that several other London clubs wanted KO times to pushed to 8pm instead of 7:45pm for the same reasons that Steve has indicated here including Watford, QPR, West Ham and Tottenham. From a selfish point of view it would be better if we kicked off at 7:30 so I could make the last train home to Norwich but such is life and I just drive down to these games because if it is an 8pm kick off I cannot get back to Liverpool St. or Stratford in time for the last one.

Latvian Eagle
28-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Traveling from hampden park Eastbourne tomorrow was thinking the same thing when checking train times you would of thought the train company's would of cottoned on to this and put a extra couple of trains on

Just for you?! :S:

farfalpibic
28-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Maybe a better service ie; a shuttle from selhurst or norwood junction would help us further away make earlier connections back home.
We have tried driving up but parking around Selhurst park is at a premium and getting back to the motorway is a nightmare to say the least.
Due to the volume of traffic from the top of the M23 to the ground what if some kind of park and ride was made available from say Coulsdon south?
That would greatly reduce traffic flow and increase the parking available around the ground.
As much as it peeves me to say this the small club down the road from me include local travel in their season ticket price and it seems to work.
Maybe Palace could work with local train companies and do the same with a small excess on season tickets with train travel or a park and ride scheme included from within a certain region.
Just for general info... If there are four of you travelling up together on southern rail you can buy a "Day saver/rover" from local tourist info for your group for only 30 and that works out at 7.50 each.
A good deal from the south coast and that covers the whole of southern region for a day.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
28-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Better for us watching at 7am instead of 6.30.

farfalpibic
28-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Better for us watching at 7am instead of 6.30.

Kyles.....
Mate it must take ages for you to drive to home games..... and then you have to find a parking space......
Only joking......

Palace Bear
29-01-2014, 10:18 AM
7:45pm means some people miss Kick Off as they don't have time to get there from work.

8:00pm means people miss there bedtime.

I hope they stick with 8pm and allow people to see the match, over people having to go to bed late.

Best idea would be to leave it at 8pm to allow people to get to the games, but to lobby the train companies and take facts to them to demonstrate a demand for a move in train service times that allows people to make the most popular connections.

Norwich_Eagle
29-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Steve is it possible to have a direct text number to the officials room at Selhurst? Yesterday I left Norwich at 3.45 and the traffic was so bad I missed the first 4 minutes of the game. It would be good to have the option of texting the officials telling them to delay KO by 10 minutes or so for me :)

jcreedy
29-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm happy. More time for Tasty Jerk.

Nth Kent Eagle
29-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I prefer 8PM. It means that I can leave work at the normal time, get home, pick my son up and then arrive for kick off. The traffic from Kent can be horrendous. If there were a general majority for an earlier kick off then okay but we would only just make it and occasionally miss the first few minutes. Last night, in the Arthur we spent the first ten minutes of the first half standing up and down to let late arrivees through. Mind you that happens for the last few minutes of each half and the first 10 minutes after half time too. I guess the Arthur is too shallow to sit and see the game if someone in the half a dozen rows in front of you squeezes past.

HRP
29-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Move it back to 7.45pm , people moaning about not being able to get to a game because they don't finish work until 6pm should book either a 1/2 days holiday or come to an arrangement with work to leave an hour earlier.

Some people can't actually get home that night due to that extra 15 minutes with the game kicking off at 8pm. These people will be taking a 1/2 day holiday off and still can't get home that night .

20 days holiday at least workers get , use one of them to get to palace ! And put the kick off back to 7.45

HRP
29-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Didn't realise this thread was a cpfc question , question not aimed at them but at people like palace bear saying people miss bedtime

Blind_Eagle
29-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Move it back to 7.45pm , people moaning about not being able to get to a game because they don't finish work until 6pm should book either a 1/2 days holiday or come to an arrangement with work to leave an hour earlier.

Some people can't actually get home that night due to that extra 15 minutes with the game kicking off at 8pm. These people will be taking a 1/2 day holiday off and still can't get home that night .

20 days holiday at least workers get , use one of them to get to palace ! And put the kick off back to 7.45

Keep it at 8pm, I'm already leaving work two hours early as it is! :D

Yesterday I left at about 4pm and got in the ground with 5 minutes to spare.

aquickgame2
29-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Keep it at 8pm, I'm already leaving work two hours early as it is! :D

Yesterday I left at about 4pm and got in the ground with 5 minutes to spare.

Yea i got the same problem but it could be something to do with me starting off in the Two Brewers then onto the Whitehorse before walking up the Holmesdale road.
Getting home is even worse,ending up in the Cherries and keep missing my train.:)

Tidd99.
29-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Yes and the hundreds of other fans standing at the station with me

Palace Bear
29-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Didn't realise this thread was a cpfc question , question not aimed at them but at people like palace bear saying people miss bedtime

Well done on ignoring my comment that train companies should be lobbied.... surely best case scenario is that people don't have to leave work early and train companies provide services required?

No let's just get thousands of people who work normal hours to take half days everytime they want to go to an evening palace game. I expect more people would be affected by this than there are those that would find it impossible to get home.

For the record I have to leave work early and get home really late for evening games so appreciate both sides of the story. But would rather get home late and see the game than miss the start and get home in time for a lullaby!!!

cantspell
29-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Reading kick off at 8pm for similar reasons to ours and I am sure Watford have done it once or twice this season

glayzier
30-01-2014, 04:35 AM
Re the first post. Surely an extra hour away from some of those places mentioned has to be a bonus. Nothing more grim than a disused port town !

BTW 8 is fine by me.

glayzier
30-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Re the first post. I would have thought that an extra hour out of that deserted port town of "newhaven" would've been a plus.

farfalpibic
31-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Not worth a reply.... Pathetic

SHiggins
21-02-2014, 11:51 AM
If 8pm suits the majority then fine, but would rather it was 7.45 for cup games which have the potential to go to extra time and pens meaning it can be very late getting home if you dont live locally.