PDA

View Full Version : Staying up vs winning the FA Cup

Lombardo 888
28-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi Steve

When we were still in the FA Cup, there was a poll on here as to whether voters would prefer to stay in the Premier or win the Cup (both not an option). I was astonished to find that the vote was about 50/50.

For me, staying up is a complete no brainer. I honestly thought that the vast majority of Palace fans would think the same but what do I know!.

What do you and the rest of the Board think about this one. Many are citing Wigan boards saying they wouldn't swap the FA cup win for a place in the Premier but others would say "they would say that wouldn't they".

Do you think like some that the Prem is the future of the Club or like others that we can never win the Prem so a major glory win at Wembley is what it's all about. [I am paraphrasing here a lot - there were all sorts of opinions expressed but this was, I think, the gist of it].

Thanks and best wishes.

CPFC2010
28-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi Steve

When we were still in the FA Cup, there was a poll on here as to whether voters would prefer to stay in the Premier or win the Cup (both not an option). I was astonished to find that the vote was about 50/50.

For me, staying up is a complete no brainer. I honestly thought that the vast majority of Palace fans would think the same but what do I know!.

What do you and the rest of the Board think about this one. Many are citing Wigan boards saying they wouldn't swap the FA cup win for a place in the Premier but others would say "they would say that wouldn't they".

Do you think like some that the Prem is the future of the Club or like others that we can never win the Prem so a major glory win at Wembley is what it's all about. [I am paraphrasing here a lot - there were all sorts of opinions expressed but this was, I think, the gist of it].

Thanks and best wishes.

Winning the FA Cup would be fantastic. I will never forget our day at Wembley in 1990 when we went so close.

But, financially, it is a no-brainer - being in the PL is far more important. Our club cannot survive financially unless it is in the PL (preferably all the time or at least once every few years) without player sales or increased loans from directors.

Ian
28-01-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm really pleased that we have a manager who believes (well up to 5pm on Saturday anyway) that both are possible.
The cups would become particularly important if we succeeded in establishing ourselves as a mid-table Premiership side with no imminent prospect of reaching the Champions League. I'd rather be a solid mid-table club than relegation fodder, but it could get a bit boring. Cup runs give people a chance to dream.