PDA

View Full Version : Stewarding

pauldrulez
29-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Just a general question, but from my vantage point at the back of the Holmesdale, there are 4-5 stewards in front of Block B and a lot inbetween the 2 blocks there.

Is there a reason why there are 10 stewards standing between the Holmesdale and the Arthur Wait.

The last 2 games, they are consistently running to the Arthur Wait making people sit down, even if they have got up for 5 seconds.

Yesterday, while We Love You was going on, the stewards were running up and down attempting to make people sit down.

Surely, if an entire block of people is standing to join in a song, a bit of common sense could take place there? There seems to be a bit of a lack of it sometimes. It was the same towards the end of the game vs Stoke, people enjoying themselves in the end 2 blocks (mainly kids), and the Stewards would put in a full-on sprint to make them sit down.

I know there's a limit on what you can/can't say, and the stewarding was more relaxed on getting into the blocks, but a bit of common sense from those stewards there might let the kids enjoy it more!

As an aside, would making the end block of the AW a family block (in between the 2 singing sections) not allow them to enjoy themselves more, and get them away from half of the Whitehorse, where they are right next to the away fans?

CPFC2010
29-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Just a general question, but from my vantage point at the back of the Holmesdale, there are 4-5 stewards in front of Block B and a lot inbetween the 2 blocks there.

Is there a reason why there are 10 stewards standing between the Holmesdale and the Arthur Wait.

The last 2 games, they are consistently running to the Arthur Wait making people sit down, even if they have got up for 5 seconds.

Yesterday, while We Love You was going on, the stewards were running up and down attempting to make people sit down.

Surely, if an entire block of people is standing to join in a song, a bit of common sense could take place there? There seems to be a bit of a lack of it sometimes. It was the same towards the end of the game vs Stoke, people enjoying themselves in the end 2 blocks (mainly kids), and the Stewards would put in a full-on sprint to make them sit down.

I know there's a limit on what you can/can't say, and the stewarding was more relaxed on getting into the blocks, but a bit of common sense from those stewards there might let the kids enjoy it more!

As an aside, would making the end block of the AW a family block (in between the 2 singing sections) not allow them to enjoy themselves more, and get them away from half of the Whitehorse, where they are right next to the away fans?

Hi Paul

I think that stewards stand beween the 2 blocks so as not to obstruct the view of supporters.

Our new disabled supporters' area is in the end block of the AW and if people stand up in front of them they can't see. That's why standing can't be allowed in that area.

I think that the WH and either end of the main stand are probably better areas for families in terms of facilities and maybe some mums and dads don't want their under tens learning songs about what the Pope said to Alan Mullery from the "lively end" of the Holmesdale.

brb rule
29-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Whilst there is a thread on stewards in that area then the one that stopped the idiot getting any further on the pitch yesterday deserves great credit.

Pistol Knight
29-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Any Dad should have taught their son that song before they could walk :D

mae102
29-01-2014, 01:57 PM
On the point of stewarding, there was 1 steward in particular who did a sterling job from preventing that idiotic fan from entering the pitch. He struggled with the guy for quite a while before getting help and actually, I think prevented what could have been a really serious incident. The palace fan looked intent on attacking the Hull keeper.

Give him a big pat on the back and a sneaky well done bonus! He has probably saved you a huge amount of aggro!

Penstone Eagle
29-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Just wondered what your feelings are about 6ft and 16 stone night club type security staff quite literally snatching my 16 year olds Season Ticket out of his hand as he presented it to the turnstyle staff at entrance 2 for the Upper Tier last night, he didn't ask to check it and in fact said nothing at all, that is until I challenged him and to which he flatly denied his actions, rude and unprofessional and a poor reflection on the club.

'Welcome to Selhurst Park' Yeah right.

CPFC2010
29-01-2014, 02:14 PM
On the point of stewarding, there was 1 steward in particular who did a sterling job from preventing that idiotic fan from entering the pitch. He struggled with the guy for quite a while before getting help and actually, I think prevented what could have been a really serious incident. The palace fan looked intent on attacking the Hull keeper.

Give him a big pat on the back and a sneaky well done bonus! He has probably saved you a huge amount of aggro!

If it's mentioned in the referee's report then we, as a club, are in trouble. So, if it isn't we certainly owe that steward a massive pat on the back.

Any supporter who runs on the field of play knows that they are breaking the law and this guy has, I believe, already been identified so he will be banned from the stadium and will no longer be able to watch Palace play. What an idiot. Presumably the Police will be knocking on his door too.

CPFC2010
29-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Just wondered what your feelings are about 6ft and 16 stone night club type security staff quite literally snatching my 16 year olds Season Ticket out of his hand as he presented it to the turnstyle staff at entrance 2 for the Upper Tier last night, he didn't ask to check it and in fact said nothing at all, that is until I challenged him and to which he flatly denied his actions, rude and unprofessional and a poor reflection on the club.

'Welcome to Selhurst Park' Yeah right.

That is totally unacceptable. If this happens again please report this to a senior steward. Very hard for me to do anything about it after the event.

Stewards must act in a polite and courtious manner to supporters and I'm sure that the vast majority do. Those who don't will not be tolerated. The same of course applies the other wat round.

Penstone Eagle
29-01-2014, 02:27 PM
That is totally unacceptable. If this happens again please report this to a senior steward. Very hard for me to do anything about it after the event.

Stewards must act in a polite and courtious manner to supporters and I'm sure that the vast majority do. Those who don't will not be tolerated. The same of course applies the other wat round.

Even the girl operating the turnstyle was shocked by his behaviour, she was just about to scan my sons ST when the steward reached in.

I wished I had reported it at the time, I appreciate that you can't take action now.

I've now only experienced 2 occassions in over 40 years whereby I've felt the need to complain about stewarding, the vast majority as you say do a good job.

Kidofwonder
29-01-2014, 03:42 PM

while we're on stewarding I want to mention something I forgot to flag up.

a while ago at a home game I dropped my season ticket without realizing.

Anyway a steward walked down to my seat during the game and asked to check my ID, having done so, he handed me back the season ticket that had been found by someone else.

he didn't say what his name was and I can't remember what he looked like now, but I just wanted to pass on some praise.

CPFC2010
29-01-2014, 03:54 PM
while we're on stewarding I want to mention something I forgot to flag up.

a while ago at a home game I dropped my season ticket without realizing.

Anyway a steward walked down to my seat during the game and asked to check my ID, having done so, he handed me back the season ticket that had been found by someone else.

he didn't say what his name was and I can't remember what he looked like now, but I just wanted to pass on some praise.

Thanks - there are more good reports (like this) than bad ones fortunately.

Norwich_Eagle
29-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Can we ask the extra stewards who stand at the bottom of the stairs in between Blocks A and B to move down a bit? Only being 5ft. 3" in height them standing there really does block my view. One of them was fine about it, noticed straight away and moved down which was excellent but the second one stood a couple of stairs in front of me and meant I had to stand in the staircase which he then got a bit tetchy about. He moved down once but then the second and third time just stood in the same place and it went round and round.

I don't mind them being there but it is very annoying not being able to see.

Gathers54
29-01-2014, 08:42 PM

I commented on how 'in your face' and rude the three stewards were at the entrance to Block D of the LH, at the Stoke game but yesterday they were quite polite and relaxed. Something was obviously said and they took a step back and acted professionally which is good.

ice_man30
29-01-2014, 10:20 PM
If Croydon council insist on this continuing, Rather than employ agency "bouncer" types, why can't the club take the lead and employ extra official stewards to do this job, that way they are more answerable to the club, and might actually be palace fans who would use their common sense.