PDA

View Full Version : Investing in the Palace

BigG-Sussex
05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi Steve,

As true supporters, you and your fellow directors must have been so proud to have had the opportunity to buy 'our' football club.

Would you ever contemplate the rest of us getting the chance to 'buy' into our
club financially as well...... no matter how small?

What about other fans, would you buy into the club given the opportunity?

CPFC2010
07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Steve,

As true supporters, you and your fellow directors must have been so proud to have had the opportunity to buy 'our' football club.

Would you ever contemplate the rest of us getting the chance to 'buy' into our
club financially as well...... no matter how small?

What about other fans, would you buy into the club given the opportunity?

I think that "too many cooks" would not really work. Rest assured that 4 fans already own the club and we will always work to do the best for CPFC.

disco mixx kidd
07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Some clubs allow fans to buy shares, I think palace did offer these around wrighty/ brightys time, think there were flyers left on seats, £1000 a share thou I think it was, I assume they lost all their money?

Gosport Eagle
07-02-2014, 10:40 PM
I think that "too many cooks" would not really work. Rest assured that 4 fans already own the club and we will always work to do the best for CPFC ahead of personal gain.

Having supported the club since the early sixties, I feel that for the first time in memory we are truly in safe hands with CPFC2010 and it's great. However CPFC 2010 won't be around for ever, however much I wish you were! The Chelsea Pitch Owners (1000 or so fans who each own a small piece of the stadium) recently prevented Ambramovich from selling Stamford Bridge for redevelopment. Steve - would CPFC2010 consider selling tiny parcels of Selhurst Park to a large number of fans ( only one share allowed to be owned by each fan) in order to safeguard the club in years to come from rogue owners/Bank of Scotland/Sheik Abu Dhabi etc? I recall that over 1,000 palace fans loaned £1k each to the Trust to try to save the club in the 90's (I was one of them)

CPFC2010
08-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Having supported the club since the early sixties, I feel that for the first time in memory we are truly in safe hands with CPFC2010 and it's great. However CPFC 2010 won't be around for ever, however much I wish you were! The Chelsea Pitch Owners (1000 or so fans who each own a small piece of the stadium) recently prevented Ambramovich from selling Stamford Bridge for redevelopment. Steve - would CPFC2010 consider selling tiny parcels of Selhurst Park to a large number of fans ( only one share allowed to be owned by each fan) in order to safeguard the club in years to come from rogue owners/Bank of Scotland/Sheik Abu Dhabi etc? I recall that over 1,000 palace fans loaned £1k each to the Trust to try to save the club in the 90's (I was one of them)

So was I !

I think that it would be pretty hard to sell the club if it was without ownership of the pitch. Rest assured that we would only sell the club to someone who had Palace's best interests at heart and would need guarantees on that.

Billy Rhino
08-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Do you not think there is scope for moving towards the German model of ownership?

A while ago Richard Scudamore said the Swansea model where 20% of the club is owned by the Swans Trust was the ideal scenario. If they can make it work then why cant we?

andyocpfc
08-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Out of pure curiosity, how much would the club be worth now if it went on the market?

Eaglefoz
08-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Whilst I am certain that 2010 will continue to work wonders with the clubs interest at heart.
Would it be possible that when you find someone who is not only a fit and proper person but also someone who has the best interests of the club at heart in the future, that part of the conditions of sale be that 20% of the club would be sold to fans at that point.
Therefore safeguarding against a fit and proper person having a change of heart.
Getting the first first two parts of the criteria would be the difficult part, getting that rare person to agree to the 20% bit should be a piece of cake for you four experienced businessmen.

Crozzy71
08-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Out of pure curiosity, how much would the club be worth now if it went on the market?

There's very little logic when valuing a football club.

Virtually every other type of business is valued on a multiple of profit. That doesn't work in football because a) very few make a profit and b) those that do tend to make it by selling players.

Therefore b) is not sustainable as you cannot guarantee a constant flow of players to sell and if you do sell you are weakening the squad every time.

Banks don't like lending to football clubs because whilst you have a nice chunk of freehold security over the stadium there is virtually no way you could ever foreclose and sell because of the public outcry, i.e. like when we marched on Lloyds HO. Banks have enough bad PR without that.

Football clubs are bought and sold for 2 main reasons:

1) as a rich mans play thing - Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City etc

2) out of necessity - us.

JFIVienna
09-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Do you not think there is scope for moving towards the German model of ownership?

A while ago Richard Scudamore said the Swansea model where 20% of the club is owned by the Swans Trust was the ideal scenario. If they can make it work then why cant we?

No need….the club is already owned by 4 Palace fans.

And all have experience in business and running successful organisations.

Why would you want to dilute that with, say, 500 Palace fans who might not know how to run an organisation or have any experience to do so?

disco mixx kidd
09-02-2014, 05:29 AM

Most business's are valued at approx ten times annual profit
But football is unique
I'd say with £60m tv money coming in over nxt 4 years in parachute payments guaranteed

£60 this year ( probaly mostly spent)
And maybe another £60m if we stay up plus ownership of selhurst
Must be worth £30m

Rough guess palace must be worth £100m now?

palaceboy1
09-02-2014, 02:20 PM
This question worries me and the responses from SB , maybe i am being very naive but somewhere along the line some or all the owners will be looking to sell . Now if the club for arguments sake is worth 100 m thats 25m each and this money then leaves the club when sold , so if another shady buyer turns up and borrowes his share we end up back at square one . It seems strange that we as fans cannot invest in our club unless the current four owners see this as a business venture at the end of the day.
I am fully supportive of CPFC2010 and all your work thankyou guys:lux::lux::lux:

disco mixx kidd
09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Whats the quickiest way to become a millionaire from being a club owner?

Start of as a billionaire

CPFC2010
09-02-2014, 04:26 PM
This question worries me and the responses from SB , maybe i am being very naive but somewhere along the line some or all the owners will be looking to sell . Now if the club for arguments sake is worth 100 m thats 25m each and this money then leaves the club when sold , so if another shady buyer turns up and borrowes his share we end up back at square one . It seems strange that we as fans cannot invest in our club unless the current four owners see this as a business venture at the end of the day.
I am fully supportive of CPFC2010 and all your work thankyou guys:lux::lux::lux:

No idea what it's worth and not bothered as no plans to sell. Certainly not to a "shady buyer".

Swoonara
09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
How many offers to buy shares did you get when you were losing £5 million a year?:D

CPFC2010
09-02-2014, 05:15 PM
How many offers to buy shares did you get when you were losing £5 million a year?:D

:p

Crozzy71
09-02-2014, 06:21 PM

If this is the kind of thing that worries you, you need to get out more.

If the club were worth £100m - and that's a pretty huge IF, selling a few shares to the fans will have absolutely no impact at all in a future sale.

CPFC2010 have no obligation to sell and as rightly pointed out earlier were hardly inundated with investment offers when in the championship.

Let's enjoy where we are, that we have a real chance of staying up and that the club is in good hands.

disco mixx kidd
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
exactly-the sellers can dictate terms , i.e. if they took for example £100m they could insist the new chap doesn't use leverage to fund that and cripple the club with servicing the debt and interest (man u springs to mind!) you could insist on seeing proof the new chap has say another £200m to invest in the club and maybe even write that into the contract

ive no idea if its all legally binding later down the line mind......

as u say we all have faith in cpfc2010 to do the right thing-theyve been doing a bloody great job so far-god i wanna stay up so much lol

Celestial Empire
09-02-2014, 07:45 PM
We can hope that other wealthy fans might choose to buy into the club (reassured by a period of stability and prudence), so that it's a continuing ownership pattern, and not a problem if one of the owners has to cash in his chips (I'm assuming they won't do that voluntarily ;))
If the fans want in, it's simple - go away, work really hard, make a few tens of £M, then buy in.:cool:
I wonder how many wealthy fans we have, quietly watching the club progress and contemplating buying a share ?

Mictor Voses
09-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I think that "too many cooks" would not really work. Rest assured that 4 fans already own the club and we will always work to do the best for CPFC ahead of personal gain.

Steve,

Of the four owners there is no doubt that yourself and Steve P are the two most visible and seemingly active owners to the fans. I have to say that I wouldn't know who Jeremy Hosking was if I shared a taxi with him (not that this is a bad thing) and although I have met Martin on a few occasions I have never heard him in the media or anywhere else in the public domain.

Do Martin and Jeremy have any interest in getting involved with running things at the club at all or are they happy to leave it to yourself and Steve despite investing a large amount of money in the club? Does Jeremy get to all the games like you Steve and Martin?

ammiller
10-02-2014, 09:51 AM
unless the current four owners see this as a business venture at the end of the day.

I hope they ARE treating this as a business venture "at the end of the day".

Why do people say that?

tasty_snacks
10-02-2014, 01:38 PM
No need….the club is already owned by 4 Palace fans.

And all have experience in business and running successful organisations.

Why would you want to dilute that with, say, 500 Palace fans who might not know how to run an organisation or have any experience to do so?

Agreed. But, what of 15, 20 or 25 years down the line?

The only way to protect the long-term future of any club is broader fan ownership. Otherwise ultimately future generations are exposed.

CPFC2010
10-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Steve,

Of the four owners there is no doubt that yourself and Steve P are the two most visible and seemingly active owners to the fans. I have to say that I wouldn't know who Jeremy Hosking was if I shared a taxi with him (not that this is a bad thing) and although I have met Martin on a few occasions I have never heard him in the media or anywhere else in the public domain.

Do Martin and Jeremy have any interest in getting involved with running things at the club at all or are they happy to leave it to yourself and Steve despite investing a large amount of money in the club? Does Jeremy get to all the games like you Steve and Martin?

We all own the club 25% each.

Because Steve recently sold his business "Tag Worldwide" he is currently able to devote all his time to the club (fortunately for us all) and is very much a full-time Chairman this season, especially dealing with players, transfers, stadium development etc etc

I have a full time job in the wine trade but try to do my bit by answering questions here, helping fans with any problems they may have and working closely with Mandy, the ticket office manager, on all aspects of ticketing. I'm also in charge of beer and wine!

Martin and Jeremy are fantastic guys and happy to be a little more in the background. I don't think that Martin has missed a game home or away this season and Jeremy's only missed a couple. We'll all be at Everton on Wednesday.

andyocpfc
10-02-2014, 04:06 PM
We all own the club 25% each.

Because Steve recently sold his business "Tag Worldwide" he is currently able to devote all his time to the club (fortunately for us all) and is very much a full-time Chairman this season, especially dealing with players, transfers, stadium development etc etc

I have a full time job in the wine trade but try to do my bit by answering questions here, helping fans with any problems they may have and working closely with Mandy, the ticket office manager, on all aspects of ticketing. I'm also in charge of beer and wine!

Martin and Jeremy are fantastic guys and happy to be a little more in the background. I don't think that Martin has missed a game home or away this season and Jeremy's only missed a couple. We'll all be at Everton on Wednesday.

Although you could say "mind your business you nosey so and so", I assume you (well specifically Steve P if it's his full time job now) all take a wage from CPFC then?

Eagle's Away
10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Steve
I know this is off subject but did not think it merited a new thread. Any thoughts of changing the pictures on the CPFC ticket site. Whilst we all have fond memories of Ambrose, Moses etc maybe a time for an update, especially the one of Mr Freedman?

CPFC2010
10-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Although you could say "mind your business you nosey so and so", I assume you (well specifically Steve P if it's his full time job now) all take a wage from CPFC then?

"Mind your business" is the correct answer really but I have never yet taken any wage from CPFC, claimed any expenses or charged any interest on my loans to the club.

CPFC2010
10-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Steve
I know this is off subject but did not think it merited a new thread. Any thoughts of changing the pictures on the CPFC ticket site. Whilst we all have fond memories of Ambrose, Moses etc maybe a time for an update, especially the one of Mr Freedman?

Good point. I'll ask.

Stanzerman
10-02-2014, 09:04 PM

We are lucky that the club is already owned by fans who are also successful businessmen, unlike many of the posters on these forums who are no doubt fanatical Palace supporters but appear to be somewhat financially naive and have little understanding of what is involved in running a business. Talk of 20% fan ownership and the club valued at £100m is surreal, even if the shares were available, how many fans do you know who could raise the £20m required to buy them. If you had thiis amount of money to invest. the obvious question is why didn't you buy the club when we were in administration? The club is in safe hands with CPFC2010 and (despite them increasing OAP season ticket prices by 28%) long may it remain so!