PDA

View Full Version : Everton postpone so very late

Mike 'n Tom
13-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Steve, I know your not responsible for the weather but could you and the club register a level of disquiet with Everton FC and the Lancs police re postponing 35 mins before kick off. We came by train, got to the ground and got in at 6.45pm. High winds yes but everything else normal. Lovely stewarding,got Bovril and chatted to fellow fans. One couple had struggled down from north of the Pennines and had to borrow a friend's car as theirs broke down en-route and it is a tough route from Appleby via Penrith! Then out of nowhere; " the game is postponed!" Stewards bemused, Toffees fans offered sympathy, police around the ground hadn't a clue re damage. We saw none going around both before or after. Postponement earlier in the day as suggested in other Forum threads would have saved a lot of people hassle, danger and frustration. Can't change the losses on train& hotel costs but won't get sensible prices for the rearranged fixture. Can't you complain to the powers that be and make it public? Yes, CPFC are out of pocket unless they have 'pluvius' insurance but ordinary travelling fans are probably, pro-rata, much worse off!

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve, I know your not responsible for the weather but could you and the club register a level of disquiet with Everton FC and the Lancs police re postponing 35 mins before kick off. We came by train, got to the ground and got in at 6.45pm. High winds yes but everything else normal. Lovely stewarding,got Bovril and chatted to fellow fans. One couple had struggled down from north of the Pennines and had to borrow a friend's car as theirs broke down en-route and it is a tough route from Appleby via Penrith! Then out of nowhere; " the game is postponed!" Stewards bemused, Toffees fans offered sympathy, police around the ground hadn't a clue re damage. We saw none going around both before or after. Postponement earlier in the day as suggested in other Forum threads would have saved a lot of people hassle, danger and frustration. Can't change the losses on train& hotel costs but won't get sensible prices for the rearranged fixture. Can't you complain to the powers that be and make it public? Yes, CPFC are out of pocket unless they have 'pluvius' insurance but ordinary travelling fans are probably, pro-rata, much worse off!

We are as frustrated as everyone else about this. Having read about the "red alert" I was very sceptical that the game could go ahead but Phil Alexander spoke to Everton at lunchtime and they were adamant that it would not be called off.

Having spent 8 hours on the motorways last night (and turning round at Stoke) I'm really annoyed that the decision was not made earlier. I don't know how bad the winds were in Liverpool but in Staffordshire (well inland) it was quite frightening.

I wouldn't argue with the decision to call the game off if roof tiles etc were flying around, but it does seem stupid that it took such a long time as this is exactly what the forecasters predicted. If they hadn't called it off, most of us on the M6 would have been lucky to make it to Goodison by half-time anyway. It's also really annoying that the fixture computer comes up with long away trips for midweek fixtures in the winter.

andy burton
13-02-2014, 11:18 AM
We are as frustrated as everyone else about this. Having read about the "red alert" I was very sceptical that the game could go ahead but Phil Alexander spoke to Everton at lunchtime and they were adamant that it would not be called off.

Having spent 8 hours on the motorways last night (and turning round at Stoke) I'm really annoyed that the decision was not made earlier. I don't know how bad the winds were in Liverpool but in Staffordshire (well inland) it was quite frightening.

I wouldn't argue with the decision to call the game off if roof tiles etc were flying around, but it does seem stupid that it took such a long time as this is exactly what the forecasters predicted. If they hadn't called it off, most of us on the M6 would have been lucky to make it to Goodison by half-time anyway. It's also really annoying that the fixture computer comes up with long away trips for midweek fixtures in the winter.

This is the crux of the matter: Palace in Liverpool, Spurs at Newcastle. Liverpool and Man Utd both in London. Swansea at Stoke. Surely some 'tweaks' could have been made by Premier League to alleviate the travelling for players and fans alike?!

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 11:22 AM
This is the crux of the matter: Palace in Liverpool, Spurs at Newcastle. Liverpool and Man Utd both in London. Swansea at Stoke. Surely some 'tweaks' could have been made by Premier League to alleviate the travelling for players and fans alike?!

Fulham v Palace, Everton v Liverpool would have been much better for fans.

wrightchipvcfc
13-02-2014, 11:23 AM
That's what we said on coach last night where's sence in sending palace to everton Liverpool to fulham spurs to newcatle at night in feb could you bring this up with pl, A big
Well done to the coach drivers who had to drive threw terrible conditions and would have got us there at 7 40 according to sat nav

jone-zee
13-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Met Office definition of a Red Weather Warning:
Red: Take action. Extreme weather is expected. Red means you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the weather. Widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life is likely. You must avoid dangerous areas and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/severe-weather-advice

Really surprised that as soon as this was issued for the area at about 1130 yesterday, they (EFC Emergency Services Local Council etc) even considered allowing the game to go ahead.Just out of interest how would CPFC responded had it been the other way around and would there be the pontential of FA sanctions if it had been a false alarm?

TC EAGLE
13-02-2014, 12:09 PM
As soon as the MET Office issued a red alert these games should have been postponed. The premier league, Football league need to get together with the Met office and come to some sort of agreement over future problems with the weather.

Ash
13-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Some words of apology from Everton FC or at least an acknowledgement of our traveling fans wouldn't have gone amiss.

Perhaps something to note for our own comms team, should we have to cancel a match late in the day in the future.

deanchilds
13-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Annoying as hell but can understand why, weather was terrible.

I had booked a hotel anyway and wasn't left stranded but had to end up sharing it with a fellow fan who wouldn't have been able to get back to Burnley due to cancelations.

Just waiting at Chester to go back to Euston. Looking forward to coming back next week or the week after!

Lost money through hotel and train is bad enough but most of all was looking forward to another great eagles performance!

matt_eagle
13-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Steve, do you know what will happen to loyalty points after this? For example, if I can't make the rearranged Everton match will I lose my 20 points, even though I spent 12 hours on a coach (coach 3) and lost a day off work yesterday? Hopefully I'll manage to get to the rearranged game but right now, the thought of a long coach trip any time soon isn't very appealing!

MarkSpod
13-02-2014, 01:35 PM
It's also really annoying that the fixture computer comes up with long away trips for midweek fixtures in the winter.

Steve, thats an understatement how rediculious was yesterday, Liverpool travelled to Fulham and we travelled to Everton :(

Kirby
13-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm 99% sure you're already aware of him, but Alan Myers is Everton's PR man who set up the 'Malaysian fan' meet last night.

I've tweeted him asking what compensation the Palace fans will be getting but I'm yet to receive a reply.

May be worth liasing with him if you haven't already? By all accounts he's done a great job since joining them and I'm sure a gesture for the out-of-pocket Palace fans would increase his club's popularity further.

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought of that but just thought I'd say. Hope your journey wasn't too awful!

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Met Office definition of a Red Weather Warning:
Red: Take action. Extreme weather is expected. Red means you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the weather. Widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life is likely. You must avoid dangerous areas and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/severe-weather-advice

Really surprised that as soon as this was issued for the area at about 1130 yesterday, they (EFC Emergency Services Local Council etc) even considered allowing the game to go ahead.Just out of interest how would CPFC responded had it been the other way around and would there be the pontential of FA sanctions if it had been a false alarm?

I would like to think that we would have spoken to the emergency services and the referee and tried to make a decision before travelling fans had set off.

Having said that we've all had experiences of weather forecasts being inaccurate and ultimately this was a decision by the Police and not by Everton - who wanted the game to go ahead.

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm 99% sure you're already aware of him, but Alan Myers is Everton's PR man who set up the 'Malaysian fan' meet last night.

I've tweeted him asking what compensation the Palace fans will be getting but I'm yet to receive a reply.

May be worth liasing with him if you haven't already? By all accounts he's done a great job since joining them and I'm sure a gesture for the out-of-pocket Palace fans would increase his club's popularity further.

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought of that but just thought I'd say. Hope your journey wasn't too awful!

Good idea, we'll ask them what they can do for our fans.

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Steve, do you know what will happen to loyalty points after this? For example, if I can't make the rearranged Everton match will I lose my 20 points, even though I spent 12 hours on a coach (coach 3) and lost a day off work yesterday? Hopefully I'll manage to get to the rearranged game but right now, the thought of a long coach trip any time soon isn't very appealing!

We'll give the loyalty points to people who travelled even if they can't make the replay. I'll ask Mandy if there's a way to give double loyalty points to those who went yesterday and go next time.

cockles
13-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I think the main thing at fault here is the scheduling of a long distance away fixture;
(a) on a week night and
(b) during what was always likely to be the harshest part of the winter.

When you look at last night’s fixtures, most required the away fans to travel long distance (aside from Man Utd away in London obviously).

Why could this not have been the fixture we play Fulham away for instance, and let the scousers have their derby?

It’s devoid of common sense.

cockles
13-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Steve,

Would you be happy if they arranged for your car to be minded for you during the rearranged game?

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I think the main thing at fault here is the scheduling of a long distance away fixture;
(a) on a week night and

When you look at last nightís fixtures, most required the away fans to travel long distance (aside from Man Utd away in London obviously).

Why could this not have been the fixture we play Fulham away for instance, and let the scousers have their derby?

Itís devoid of common sense.

The trouble is that the Scouse derby is a big game on tv and they'd not want that played when the biggest tv audience (Asia) is asleep.

thehalifaxman
13-02-2014, 05:53 PM
The trouble is that the Scouse derby is a big game on tv and they'd not want that played when the biggest tv audience (Asia) is asleep.

Well they could play Stoke and we could travel to Southampton if need be. I think we're just asking for a bit of consideration midweek. here's only what 2? maybe 3? midweek games in a premier league season. So you only need to have 1 or 2 reciprocated fixtures that are reasonably local for everyone for the midweek games. I can understand the fixture pile up in the football league with more games but the Premier League has no excuse not to use common sense!

nellis
13-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Some words of apology from Everton FC or at least an acknowledgement of our traveling fans wouldn't have gone amiss.

Perhaps something to note for our own comms team, should we have to cancel a match late in the day in the future.

This.

A token gesture would be welcomed.

grantyg
13-02-2014, 08:18 PM

They actually played this game the other midweek, think when we played hull, so the PL can't use that as an excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barbara4003
13-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Having arrived in Liverpool at about 4.30(ish), I have to say the weather was the worst I've seen (certainly since the hurricane in 1980-something).

There were all sorts of things flying around - dustbins, bits of advertising hoardings etc. I was worried walking in it (when I could walk, that is, as the wind was so strong it was forcing me backwards). I'm not at all surprised it was called off and when I heard the Man City one was postponed, I knew our one would be. It was just a matter of when they would do it.

Personally, I think it should have been postponed at lunchtime. It wouldn't have helped a lot of Palace fans who either drove up or got the train, but it would have saved quite a few the effort of starting out in the first place.

baldeagle68
13-02-2014, 09:31 PM
I would like to think that we would have spoken to the emergency services and the referee and tried to make a decision before travelling fans had set off.

Having said that we've all had experiences of weather forecasts being inaccurate and ultimately this was a decision by the Police and not by Everton - who wanted the game to go ahead.

Steve not the case this time. I'm a Cheshire based Palace ST holder and I can tell you the weather was battering the North West from early morning the red alert was sent out before lunch time. That was the point when this game should have been called off. And as you say the game was called off by the Local police not EFC. I live about 38 mile from Everton left home at 5 against my better judgement got to the ground only to be told its off and then drove home getting there at 9.30....The north west was a wreck and EFC's handling of the situation a disgrace! I assume my ticket will be valid for the rearranged game.?

herts_palace
13-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Steve if the same red weather warning gets issued when we are due to play a home game can you undertake that the club will do what it can to call off the game early. I realise it may be down to the referee / police in the end but at least you can use this as an example. Unless of course the opposing fans don't have far to travel.

orp pisshead1
13-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Every ******* thing that's wrong with today's football **** the real fans.

CPFC2010
14-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Steve if the same red weather warning gets issued when we are due to play a home game can you undertake that the club will do what it can to call off the game early. I realise it may be down to the referee / police in the end but at least you can use this as an example. Unless of course the opposing fans don't have far to travel.

I dont want to appear critical of Everton but yes I think we would.

CPFC2010
14-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Steve not the case this time. I'm a Cheshire based Palace ST holder and I can tell you the weather was battering the North West from early morning the red alert was sent out before lunch time. That was the point when this game should have been called off. And as you say the game was called off by the Local police not EFC. I live about 38 mile from Everton left home at 5 against my better judgement got to the ground only to be told its off and then drove home getting there at 9.30....The north west was a wreck and EFC's handling of the situation a disgrace! I assume my ticket will be valid for the rearranged game.?

Yes your ticket will be valid next time. Comments noted.

Hedgie
14-02-2014, 07:04 AM
It looks to me as though Everton didn't want to make a decision about the match that might backfire on them, so waited until the authorities made it for them.

My question is this - are clubs given clear details on when they can take the decision to call a match off, or are they basically left to make the decision (and obviously rely on someone's prediction) and deal with presumably heavy consequences should the conditions not turn out to be as bad as predicted?

Wadsie
14-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Steve, as a few have said on this thread already, I'm not surprised the game was called off. Arrived up by train at 3.20, was breezy but not too bad. Then at about 5.00 ( on our walk to the Ship and Mitre ) the wind really did pick up. A few slates flew past our heads as we got to the pub !!! Took a cab to The Spoons near the ground, spoke to quite a few Everton fans who felt confident that the game would go on. " Everton never call games off " was one of the quotes I got. Shame it was so late, especially for the guys on the coaches.
We had booked hotels and return trains, so wasn't so bad for us. The trains were cancelled early on Thursday morning due to powerline probs at Runcorn, but were restored by the time our train, the 10.47 was due to leave. Needless to say, this train was rammed, as there was no reserve seating, but quite a few CPFC fans on it.We made it back, eventually. Basically, message to EFC, try to make a decision earlier, message to PL, think about the fixture schedules !!

cockles
14-02-2014, 08:21 AM

I think you answered more my example than my main point, so I'll restate it clearly:

The main thing at fault here is the scheduling of a long distance away fixture;
(a) on a week night and

When you look at last nightís fixtures, most required the away fans to travel long distance (aside from Man Utd away in London obviously).

There were numerous games the week South vs North - on a weeknight, in mid February. A better example as a twin for us would have been Soton who had to travel to Hull and back on Tuesday.

Surely a case can be made to the league to apply some common sense and consideration for the actual people travelling when setting out these fixtures. They have 2 months to plan this during the summer. Can you or your Cheif Exec not raise this issue to the League?

oddrod
14-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Every ******* thing that's wrong with today's football **** the real fans.

Funny that, it was played on 28th January at 8pm UK time?
Liverpool 4 Everton 0

EddieEdwards
14-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Steve,

As a travelling fan, what I like to see is clubs doing everything they can to get games on, not looking for reasons to call them off. It appears that Everton FC did everything they could in that regard. The pitch was fit for play and the stadium itself was safe, and those are the things that a football club should be concentrating on in these situations. As far as I'm concerned, no blame to Everton FC, and if there's any message going to them from Palace fans, it should be to thank them for their efforts.

If there's any blame to be laid for the late postponement, it should be with the police and safety authorities, who perhaps should have reacted earlier to the red alert weather warning. Although even then, I personally prefer to see them erring on the side of keeping the game on if at all possible. This might mean that we sometimes end up with a situation like Wednesday with a late postponement and a nightmare wasted journey, but in slightly different circumstances we'll get a game going ahead against the odds. Maybe the authorities made the wrong call on Wednesday because the weather forecast really was extreme, but I'd find it even more annoying if they started calling games off more frequently because of things that might or might not happen.

Bernard Shakey
14-02-2014, 10:12 AM
There is a lot of common sense on this thread so the Premier league obviously won't be reading it! Steve it might be useful to forward the whole thing to them!!

I travelled up with my wife by train, (which broke down outside Nuneaton) but when we got to Lime Street by mid afternoon the wind was gusting very heavily indeed. Got a bus to the ground and saw wheely bins etc being blown into the road. Was inside the ground when the official announcement was made at 7.12pm. We were then asked to vacate the area asap.

EFC & Merseyside Police knew of the red warning from the morning and some sort of statement about the game should have been put out, not confirmation to Phil Alexander that the game was definitely on. They then staged a bit of a publicity stunt with the Malaysian fan which to us seemed like an effort to cover their tracks!

The Premier League should be ashamed that they allowed midweek games resulting in such long journeys for away fans to take place in mid February. It left some of our fans stranded and then there were problems from Lime Street early next morning as all trains South were disrupted by storm damage at Crewe. Fortunately it was resolved by the time our train left just before lunchtime, though I believe many United fans were also stuck in London after the Arsenal game for the same reason.

Overall the whole thing was a complete shambles mate!

CPFC2010
14-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Totally agreed that it was a shambles (as indeed Steve Parish has already said on Twitter). We have made our complaints about the late postponement and the long distance midweek fixtures in the middle of the winter etc.... Hopefully common sense will prevail in the future but don't hold your breath!

Eaglefoz
14-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Was inside the ground when the official announcement was made at 7.12pm. We were then asked to vacate the area asap.!

So, Palace fans braved the falling down trees, flooded roads, overturned lorries, flying roof slates and other bits of buildings, got to the safety of the ground itself.

Only to be told that game was off and can you please go and endanger yourselves again as we don't want to waste our lecce bill on you lot.

Promptly about turned to brave falling down trees, flooded roads, overturned lorries, flying roof slates and other bits of buildings again.

So much common sense shown, so much thought to the health and safety of Palace fans. Well done EFC and Liverpool police. Glad I did not go, feel so angry for all you lot that did.

Ian
24-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I think the key point here is that it was travelling to the game which was dangerous, the ground itself was safe.

So the late postponement didn't do anything for public safety. Once people had arrived at the ground, the game might as well have been played.

The only thing which would have enhanced public safety would have been calling the game off earlier, in time to stop locals travelling if not Palace fans.

nellis
25-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Light-hearted post:
Can you find out what happened to all the pies that went un-eaten in the away end?

We had the pie and pint deal, but didn't even finish the pint before being turfed out.

The pies were excellent, but they wouldn't give us any freebies when they pulled the shutters down. Probably gave some to that Malaysian chap instead!

Latvian Eagle
25-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Light-hearted post:
Can you find out what happened to all the pies that went un-eaten in the away end?

We had the pie and pint deal, but didn't even finish the pint before being turfed out.

The pies were excellent, but they wouldn't give us any freebies when they pulled the shutters down. Probably gave some to that Malaysian chap instead!

So they probably got tossed in the bin anyway. :rolleyes: What a waste!

wandering star
25-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Steve

When are you expecting Everton to tell you the rearranged date? Will it be in the next week?

Thanks