PDA

View Full Version : Could a CPFC Museum/Exhibition be an option to explore?

prizesucker
13-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Steve,

I wanted to run a lengthy idea by you. Have there ever been discussions about creating a CPFC museum and/or exhibition? I think this is something that could have HUGE potential.

I appreciate that you and your fellow owners are very much forward looking (and rightly so) because we all want the club to move forward, to advance and to progress. We are currently enjoying a new era at the club, re-generation of the ground, new crest, new kit (one of which I’m very proud to say that I had a hand in creating), the 2010 club, Speroni’s etc.

However, I believe that a section of the fan base do look back at the club’s history with great fondness (and indeed pride) quite often and I think it would be a real jewel in the club’s crown if there was a place at the ground or certainly nearby that celebrated the clubs history. The Exhibition in Croydon in 2005 to celebrate the club’s centenary proved to be a great success. They can be relived here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofSjBHgKsM ) & (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asBRWyAB4Rs ) – not to mention that the centenary DVD was one of the most polished and popular products that the club has ever produced.

The history of the club as told by Rev. Nigel Sands, Hy Money, Arthur Waite, Ian King, club historians and supporter collections should be something that should not be left collecting dust on book shelves.

The club is so rich in history. The amount of club crests (& kits) found here ( http://www.kitclassics.co.uk/kits/cpalace.png ) & ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj8na2HXlt4 ) showing the journey from where we have come from to where we are now.

There have been a lot of special situations at this club that others do not even come close to. Mullery/Venables rivalry that helped spark our rivalry with those on the south coast, Promotions celebrations, Wembley days out, relegations, Supporters marches from the Mark Goldberg era, the subsequent administrations, the Save our Club effort in 1999, Gresham street in 2010, the day CP topped the English game under TV which is the only time in the clubs history to do so.

I recently spent a lot of time collating every CP squad photo that I could find available from 1905 to the start of this season (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXJj2I8_nww )and I think older fans would like to see these (and newer fans who become as passionate as current ones will want to learn)

Heroes from yesteryear can be forever admired be it Edmund Goodman or Sydney Bourne or Ronnie Rooke or Peter Simpson or Johnny Byrne or Vince Hilaire in the distant past to those of Wembley 1990, the “Wright/Bright/Coppell” shots from Hy Money, the ZDS triumph in 1991, Southgate raising the 1st Division trophy at Selhurst, Hopkin looking to curl one, Shipperley at Cardiff, Phillips from the spot. You could branch that out to include shots of X thousand strong at Wembley or Cardiff or include some of the Holmesdale Fanatics displays that truly look awesome and should be appreciated for all of time.

Stretch that thought out even further and celebrate the landmark/key/special games and matches that forever make the hair on your neck stand on end. The 5-0 vs. Manchester Utd, Promotion vs. Burnley, being the first English club to beat Inter Milan in Milan during the Anglo-Italian cup, the 5 penalties match vs. Brighton, Villa Park 1990, all the Wembley triumphs, Stockport in 2001, Cardiff 2004, and Hillsborough in 2010.

A Roll-call or Honours Board could be established highlighting special achievements by people who have made a huge contribution.
Most appearances, most goals, International appearances whilst at the club, highest number of clean sheets, Player of the Year Winners, Supports player of the year, Managers tenures, Owner/Chairman tenures, Academy graduate of the year, Goal of the season winners, number of hat-tricks, which players have received Testimonials (Cannon, McCormick, Rodger, Freedman etc)

A list of academy graduates that went on to have a valued contribution to English/World football because of what happened at this club. Kenny Sansom is arguably best left back England has ever produced, Richard Shaw had a great career in England’s top division, John Salako & Gareth Southgate both went on to play for England to name but a few but more recently we’ve seen Clinton Morrison go on to represent Ireland, Wayne Routledge win the League Cup with Swansea, Ben Watson score the winner in a FA Cup Final, Victor Moses be the player of the tournament for Nigeria in the last African cup of nations and got a winners medal to boot, Wilf & Joniesta got a promotion medal for playing a huge role in getting CP promoted (as well as International honours) so a celebration of the academy’s graduates could act as inspiration to the next generations.

Players who have been at Palace have also made headlines on the international stage from Vic Rouse playing for Wales, Byrne and Peter Taylor representing England when not playing in the top Division of English football, Geoff Thomas was never in a losing England team when he played, Coleman and Eric Young for Wales, Aki (Forssell, Kolkka and Kuqi too) for Finland, Lombardo playing for Italy, Fan Zhiyi being captain of China (Fan and Sun Jihai being first Chinese players to play in England) Dougie scoring on his international debut for Scotland, Mile about to represent Australia at the World Cup,

The idea and the reality are probably miles apart. The idea sounds wonderful and European clubs like FC Schalke have made the museum/exhibition a huge attraction of their ground but they have the space, the champion’s league money and the ground to accommodate.

As ever, the supporters can play a big role in having memorabilia on display. I’m sure many supporters have countless replica shirts, flags, scarf’s, hats, Coats, Signed Footballs, old programmes, t-shirts, books, VHS tapes/DVDs like season reviews (which I own a lot of), signed posters, pictures, Duvet sets, Teddy Bears, Gnomes, Ties, cufflinks etc that they would be willing to donate if these items were just in a box in the loft or whatever. Could re-vitalise and maybe rescue precious artefacts that could be revered and admired for all time.

I also have no idea what costs the Club could come under because this being Britain, I imagine planning permissions would have to be acquired, if this museum/exhibition was to be at the ground, security and insurance premiums would likely sky rocket and then there is the cost of getting 8 foot pictures printed/mounted if copyright issues & permissions from family members are sorted out getting shirts framed, image rights of players who have that in contracts and other complications.

There are further issues with costs – if it’s classed as a museum, should it be free to enter? If it’s an exhibition, what a reasonable rate? £5 per entry and proceeds going to the academy?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (and apologies for the length, got a little carried away:angel: )

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Steve,

I wanted to run a lengthy idea by you. Have there ever been discussions about creating a CPFC museum and/or exhibition? I think this is something that could have HUGE potential.

I appreciate that you and your fellow owners are very much forward looking (and rightly so) because we all want the club to move forward, to advance and to progress. We are currently enjoying a new era at the club, re-generation of the ground, new crest, new kit (one of which I’m very proud to say that I had a hand in creating), the 2010 club, Speroni’s etc.

However, I believe that a section of the fan base do look back at the club’s history with great fondness (and indeed pride) quite often and I think it would be a real jewel in the club’s crown if there was a place at the ground or certainly nearby that celebrated the clubs history. The Exhibition in Croydon in 2005 to celebrate the club’s centenary proved to be a great success. They can be relived here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofSjBHgKsM ) & (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asBRWyAB4Rs ) – not to mention that the centenary DVD was one of the most polished and popular products that the club has ever produced.

The history of the club as told by Rev. Nigel Sands, Hy Money, Arthur Waite, Ian King, club historians and supporter collections should be something that should not be left collecting dust on book shelves.

The club is so rich in history. The amount of club crests (& kits) found here ( http://www.kitclassics.co.uk/kits/cpalace.png ) & ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj8na2HXlt4 ) showing the journey from where we have come from to where we are now.

There have been a lot of special situations at this club that others do not even come close to. Mullery/Venables rivalry that helped spark our rivalry with those on the south coast, Promotions celebrations, Wembley days out, relegations, Supporters marches from the Mark Goldberg era, the subsequent administrations, the Save our Club effort in 1999, Gresham street in 2010, the day CP topped the English game under TV which is the only time in the clubs history to do so.

I recently spent a lot of time collating every CP squad photo that I could find available from 1905 to the start of this season (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXJj2I8_nww )and I think older fans would like to see these (and newer fans who become as passionate as current ones will want to learn)

Heroes from yesteryear can be forever admired be it Edmund Goodman or Sydney Bourne or Ronnie Rooke or Peter Simpson or Johnny Byrne or Vince Hilaire in the distant past to those of Wembley 1990, the “Wright/Bright/Coppell” shots from Hy Money, the ZDS triumph in 1991, Southgate raising the 1st Division trophy at Selhurst, Hopkin looking to curl one, Shipperley at Cardiff, Phillips from the spot. You could branch that out to include shots of X thousand strong at Wembley or Cardiff or include some of the Holmesdale Fanatics displays that truly look awesome and should be appreciated for all of time.

Stretch that thought out even further and celebrate the landmark/key/special games and matches that forever make the hair on your neck stand on end. The 5-0 vs. Manchester Utd, Promotion vs. Burnley, being the first English club to beat Inter Milan in Milan during the Anglo-Italian cup, the 5 penalties match vs. Brighton, Villa Park 1990, all the Wembley triumphs, Stockport in 2001, Cardiff 2004, and Hillsborough in 2010.

A Roll-call or Honours Board could be established highlighting special achievements by people who have made a huge contribution.
Most appearances, most goals, International appearances whilst at the club, highest number of clean sheets, Player of the Year Winners, Supports player of the year, Managers tenures, Owner/Chairman tenures, Academy graduate of the year, Goal of the season winners, number of hat-tricks, which players have received Testimonials (Cannon, McCormick, Rodger, Freedman etc)

A list of academy graduates that went on to have a valued contribution to English/World football because of what happened at this club. Kenny Sansom is arguably best left back England has ever produced, Richard Shaw had a great career in England’s top division, John Salako & Gareth Southgate both went on to play for England to name but a few but more recently we’ve seen Clinton Morrison go on to represent Ireland, Wayne Routledge win the League Cup with Swansea, Ben Watson score the winner in a FA Cup Final, Victor Moses be the player of the tournament for Nigeria in the last African cup of nations and got a winners medal to boot, Wilf & Joniesta got a promotion medal for playing a huge role in getting CP promoted (as well as International honours) so a celebration of the academy’s graduates could act as inspiration to the next generations.

Players who have been at Palace have also made headlines on the international stage from Vic Rouse playing for Wales, Byrne and Peter Taylor representing England when not playing in the top Division of English football, Geoff Thomas was never in a losing England team when he played, Coleman and Eric Young for Wales, Aki (Forssell, Kolkka and Kuqi too) for Finland, Lombardo playing for Italy, Fan Zhiyi being captain of China (Fan and Sun Jihai being first Chinese players to play in England) Dougie scoring on his international debut for Scotland, Mile about to represent Australia at the World Cup,

The idea and the reality are probably miles apart. The idea sounds wonderful and European clubs like FC Schalke have made the museum/exhibition a huge attraction of their ground but they have the space, the champion’s league money and the ground to accommodate.

As ever, the supporters can play a big role in having memorabilia on display. I’m sure many supporters have countless replica shirts, flags, scarf’s, hats, Coats, Signed Footballs, old programmes, t-shirts, books, VHS tapes/DVDs like season reviews (which I own a lot of), signed posters, pictures, Duvet sets, Teddy Bears, Gnomes, Ties, cufflinks etc that they would be willing to donate if these items were just in a box in the loft or whatever. Could re-vitalise and maybe rescue precious artefacts that could be revered and admired for all time.

I also have no idea what costs the Club could come under because this being Britain, I imagine planning permissions would have to be acquired, if this museum/exhibition was to be at the ground, security and insurance premiums would likely sky rocket and then there is the cost of getting 8 foot pictures printed/mounted if copyright issues & permissions from family members are sorted out getting shirts framed, image rights of players who have that in contracts and other complications.

There are further issues with costs – if it’s classed as a museum, should it be free to enter? If it’s an exhibition, what a reasonable rate? £5 per entry and proceeds going to the academy?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (and apologies for the length, got a little carried away:angel: )

Yes, this is certainly something that could be done in the future in a re-developed stadium. Our history and heritage are very important to us. We'll ceratinly look at doing something like this if we can.

andy burton
13-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the plug to my site Prizesucker! :)

Susan Biggs from the Study Centre was looking at something like this at one point and sadly the Shirt Library never really happened despite calls for donations for reasons I can completely understand (promotion, space etc) - but I've got 42 shirts in my wardrobe ready and waiting!

prizesucker
13-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Not a problem Andy.

& thank you for your reply Steve, fingers crossed that the future can allow us to create something like this.

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Not a problem Andy.

& thank you for your reply Steve, fingers crossed that the future can allow us to create something like this.

I've spoken to Tom Hosking - who's is involved in stadium development plans and he's on board with this suggestion.

Dorking .Eagle
13-02-2014, 04:50 PM
The best club museums cleverly always make sure that the exit takes you straight into the club shop, something to bear in mind :)

ffsear
13-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Thing is, do many museums make a profit? Most are funded are they not?

ian king
14-02-2014, 04:07 PM
A Museum/exhibition area is something that I would hope to be included when the Main stand is rebuilt. As well as the exhibition part of it I would like to think there would also be a study library where those who wish to research into the club's history etc. can be accommodated. It would help Terry Byfield and his gang!

Beanie
14-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Thing is, do many museums make a profit? Most are funded are they not?
Most museums have to invest a fortune in finding / buying / conserving / repairing exhibits. Can't see a Palace museum needing to do that. Get volunteer fans to staff it, bit like the National Trust and it wouldn't be too bad.

the drexciyan
15-02-2014, 05:48 AM
Great idea. As someone who worked in national / international museums for 13 years this idea is right up my street. Got a few contacts if and when you need to consider optimal storage and display conditions for the exhibits. You'd be surprised the amount of collectors and owners who express surprise when their objects start deteriorating because they hadn't considered the best conditions to keep them under.

Some museums have charitable status, linked to study foundations and similar, or tie ins with larger museums. For our case probably worth exploring what they've done at the national football museum and other clubs, but a tie-in with a national museum in London is well worth exploring if some of the display artefacts are of historical significance too. Either way, the exit has to lead to a shop!

To keep it to a question, i guess you have to build the stand first? ;)