PDA

View Full Version : Potential Competition Scam

karl.eldridge
13-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi Steve,

Can you confirm whether this is a true competition win or not? I know you might not be the best person to ask but my mate is adamant he just won a big prize.

The message he got was this Hey jack, how are you?

Congratulations. Iím one of the staff in charge of picking the winners from those who have liked the Crystal Palace Like page. We've picked you and friends as the runner up winners, you have won a prize with The Crystal Palace FC Cheerleaders, ĎThe Crystalsí, on Thursday 20th February.

We are selecting some lucky Palace fans as winners, all part of our new PR campaign. The prize is an exclusive night out with the official cheerleaders from the Club. You'll be partying in VIP with The Crystal Palace Cheerleaders all night.

The Crystals are normally only seen on match days or on Soccer A.M. Youíre going to be partying with them in the VIP area of one of Londonís hottest clubs, XOYO in Shoreditch. Some premier league players are also attending this event, but unfortunately due to confidentially reasons, we cannot name them. But what we can say, is how excited we are for this event.

So, as the winner you have won free entry for yourself, special discounted entry for all of your friends, exclusive VIP passes for you and friends, plus discounted drinks wristbands for every person in your group to use all night too! And most excitingly on top of this, a surprise golden envelope, containing either bundles of cash, bottles of grey goose vouchers, or free club tickets.

I want to start getting everything sorted for you guys, Iíve booked it for 20 people or more. Itís the VIP prize so needs to be a large group. If you canít find that many people, donít worry, I can sort something for you and friends, but please do aim for 20+ people. Start sending me the names of your group when you can.
Any questions give us a call in the office 0203 214 8235 week days. Have a look at the Like page for some photos from some of our other celebrity events (search "aquila london events" into Facebook). Xx

It sounds like the sort of thing you should know about as it involves our club.

Karl

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi Steve,

Can you confirm whether this is a true competition win or not? I know you might not be the best person to ask but my mate is adamant he just won a big prize.

The message he got was this Hey jack, how are you?

Congratulations. Iím one of the staff in charge of picking the winners from those who have liked the Crystal Palace Like page. We've picked you and friends as the runner up winners, you have won a prize with The Crystal Palace FC Cheerleaders, ĎThe Crystalsí, on Thursday 20th February.

We are selecting some lucky Palace fans as winners, all part of our new PR campaign. The prize is an exclusive night out with the official cheerleaders from the Club. You'll be partying in VIP with The Crystal Palace Cheerleaders all night.

The Crystals are normally only seen on match days or on Soccer A.M. Youíre going to be partying with them in the VIP area of one of Londonís hottest clubs, XOYO in Shoreditch. Some premier league players are also attending this event, but unfortunately due to confidentially reasons, we cannot name them. But what we can say, is how excited we are for this event.

So, as the winner you have won free entry for yourself, special discounted entry for all of your friends, exclusive VIP passes for you and friends, plus discounted drinks wristbands for every person in your group to use all night too! And most excitingly on top of this, a surprise golden envelope, containing either bundles of cash, bottles of grey goose vouchers, or free club tickets.

I want to start getting everything sorted for you guys, Iíve booked it for 20 people or more. Itís the VIP prize so needs to be a large group. If you canít find that many people, donít worry, I can sort something for you and friends, but please do aim for 20+ people. Start sending me the names of your group when you can.
Any questions give us a call in the office 0203 214 8235 week days. Have a look at the Like page for some photos from some of our other celebrity events (search "aquila london events" into Facebook). Xx

It sounds like the sort of thing you should know about as it involves our club.

Karl

I'll check it out now.

karl.eldridge
13-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Cheers Steve.

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Cheers Steve.

It's genuine. Sharon Lacey replies :-

"A few of the girls have been booked for a PA.

The competition is run by the promoter.

Its not to do with CPFC but some of the girls will be there.

I believe when you claim your prize you receive T&Cs but if anyone wants to call the promoter : Tel: 0203 214 8235
E-mail: Rebecca@aquila-london.com "

karl.eldridge
13-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow. Can't quite believe it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

ammiller
13-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi Karl - how's thngs?
Haven't seen you in a while - we should catch up...

CPFC2010
13-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Hi Karl - how's thngs?
Haven't seen you in a while - we should catch up...

Aidan - this is the questions thread, not a dating agency ;)

◤◥ ◣◢
13-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Steve, I had similar concerns. See you next week Karl.

Kirby
13-02-2014, 09:12 PM
How do I win this competition?

Kirby
13-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Ignore that, just read the original post and have now "liked" their page from eleven different laptops. Wish me luck.

Dan A
13-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I know several people who have also received the same message.. Including myself. Just a way for them to make more money if you're going to bring along 20 friends. I believe only you get free entry whereas all of your mates still have to pay something..

snibz99
14-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I wonder if Ruari CFC Allen will be going

jcreedy
14-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I wonder if Ruari CFC Allen will be going

:sob:

Billyd
15-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Its a con guys. Just a way to get loads of people in their club.'Everyone' wins.

sw16girl
26-02-2014, 08:11 AM
As it looks to good to be true I did a bit of digging. It would appear that being a runner up in a competition is extremely easy - winning it isn't - all the runner up prizes are these night out packages. The deal are put together by a company called Aquila and one club they used to deal with Proud in Camden who have since responded to complaints about it as follows

'Hi all,

Please note that Proud Camden are no longer associated with Aquila Club nights at our venue or in any other way due to not being able to resolve issues with their fake competitions and customer service procedures,

Thanks,
Proud Camden'

There are a lot of threads about this company and their extremely dodgy marketing techniques - the main one of which being the fact it claims to be a competition when it clearly isn't.

Just search Aquila scam on the internet and the facebook pages, threads on message boards etc will come up. However at the end of the day if you want to go to an expensive club and pay a lot of money for drinks in return for getting into the same room as the Crystals then that is what you get. Just be aware - it is not a prize it is an advert. There is an article here covering things fairly succinctly

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/7821/aquila-says-its-buying-a-club-but-the-club-says-no/

I have to say Steve I'm a bit surprised at the Crystals getting involved with something this dodgy. I know they are not running it but due diligence on Aquila shows up that a lot of ill will could be generated from this. In particular it does seem that sometimes the deal on offer gets changed at the last minute to something less appealing.

CPFC2010
26-02-2014, 04:36 PM
As it looks to good to be true I did a bit of digging. It would appear that being a runner up in a competition is extremely easy - winning it isn't - all the runner up prizes are these night out packages. The deal are put together by a company called Aquila and one club they used to deal with Proud in Camden who have since responded to complaints about it as follows

'Hi all,

Please note that Proud Camden are no longer associated with Aquila Club nights at our venue or in any other way due to not being able to resolve issues with their fake competitions and customer service procedures,

Thanks,
Proud Camden'

There are a lot of threads about this company and their extremely dodgy marketing techniques - the main one of which being the fact it claims to be a competition when it clearly isn't.

Just search Aquila scam on the internet and the facebook pages, threads on message boards etc will come up. However at the end of the day if you want to go to an expensive club and pay a lot of money for drinks in return for getting into the same room as the Crystals then that is what you get. Just be aware - it is not a prize it is an advert. There is an article here covering things fairly succinctly

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/7821/aquila-says-its-buying-a-club-but-the-club-says-no/

I have to say Steve I'm a bit surprised at the Crystals getting involved with something this dodgy. I know they are not running it but due diligence on Aquila shows up that a lot of ill will could be generated from this. In particular it does seem that sometimes the deal on offer gets changed at the last minute to something less appealing.

I have checked with Sharon (who is in charge of the Crystal Girls). They hired the girls as an appearance and the girls were not aware of their marketing plan, She agrees that it is misleading and actually spoke to the organisers and made them change the text they used.

Its probably not something that the girls will be involved with again.

karl.eldridge
26-02-2014, 04:46 PM

'Hi all,

Thanks,
Proud Camden'

This is the reason I started the thread, I found all of this stuff out including the "everyone wins" gimmick. 2 of my mates went and got pictures with the Crystals but I haven't seen them since to ask how it was.

I've been to very few clubs but the ones I have been to seem to advertise all their competitions all around the place.

GreatGonzo
26-02-2014, 05:01 PM
The event was last Thursday.

Did Karl or his friend attend? Maybe they can say if it was what it claimed to be or more of a con?