PDA

View Full Version : Arrangements for Saturday

Grey Eagle
17-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi Steve

GPD forum has a thread saying that the police have ordered local pubs to stop serving at 4.30 on Saturday.

Three questions :

1/ Do you know if this is true ?
2/ I assume the same does not apply to the bars in the ground ?
3/ if it is true - can you make sure you have plenty of beer and staff ready for the likely crush at around 4.45 :D

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Hi Steve

GPD forum has a thread saying that the police have ordered local pubs to stop serving at 4.30 on Saturday.

Three questions :

1/ Do you know if this is true ?
2/ I assume the same does not apply to the bars in the ground ?
3/ if it is true - can you make sure you have plenty of beer and staff ready for the likely crush at around 4.45 :D

I'll find out and let you know.

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I've contacted the local Police and apparently there will be no trains to Selhurst and Thornton Heath this Saturday. Crazy! Consequently Norwood Junction will be incredibly busy. They need as many people as possible to enter the ground early or there will be big queues at the turnstiles close to kick off time.

The bars at Selhurst will be opening as follows for home fans :

2.30pm – Crystals
3.00pm – Glaziers , Red and Blue Bar , Stephenson and Wright and Bright lounge.
4.00pm – Stadium opens.

Post Match – Glaziers , Red and Blue bar (both of these for all home fans) Wright and Bright Lounge and Stephenson Lounge will be open.

With regard to local pubs, they have been requested by the Police that they cease the sale of alcohol from 4.30pm and encourage supporters to leave the pubs and make their way to the ground. They have been asked to shut the main doors at 5pm.

If you have not left the pub by 5pm anyway you will miss the kick off and the HF display (which I hear is going to be special).

So the message for this Saturday is very much allow extra time for your journey and arrive early.

andyocpfc
18-02-2014, 10:44 AM
I can see the levels of beer sold in the groung being record amounts this Saturday due to the above. Good news for CPFC all round really.

stinky
18-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I've contacted the local Police and apparently there will be no trains to Selhurst and Thornton Heath this Saturday. Crazy! Consequently Norwood Junction will be incredibly busy. They need as many people as possible to enter the ground early or there will be big queues at the turnstiles close to kick off time.

2.30pm Crystals
3.00pm Glaziers , Red and Blue Bar , Stephenson and Wright and Bright lounge.
4.00pm Stadium opens.

Post Match Glaziers , Red and Blue bar (both of these for all home fans) Wright and Bright Lounge and Stephenson Lounge will be open.

With regard to local pubs, they have been requested by the Police that they cease the sale of alcohol from 4.30pm and encourage supporters to leave the pubs and make their way to the ground. They have been asked to shut the main doors at 5pm.

If you have not left the pub by 5pm anyway you will miss the kick off and the HF display (which I hear is going to be special).

So the message for this Saturday is very much allow extra time for your journey and arrive early.

Perfect. Just perfect. Porter and I will be walking from NJ then.

Norwich_Eagle
18-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Steve, any idea why there are no trains to Selhurst or TH this weekend? First I've heard of that, it is going to make travelling out of Norwood Junction a massive pain in the backside post-game!

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Steve, any idea why there are no trains to Selhurst or TH this weekend? First I've heard of that, it is going to make travelling out of Norwood Junction a massive pain in the backside post-game!

Engineering works between Balham and Thornton Heath apparently.

East-End Eagle
18-02-2014, 01:07 PM

I think you are taking the CPFC2010 questions forum a bit far!

Kevin T
18-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Perfect. Just perfect. Porter and I will be walking from NJ then.

Stinky - do you know whether Crystals have upped their Cronx order over recent weeks, or will I be drinking fizzy lager by half past 3?

davematt
18-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Not after a 2-0 win ;)

alanlee11
18-02-2014, 02:02 PM
really hope enough people are in their seats and prepared to help the HF with the display in the Holmesdale, can messages be put up in the concourses of the Holmesdale and toilets to help get people to their seats?

Mick
18-02-2014, 02:06 PM
For the Spurs away game, although Northumberland Park was closed, additional trains served White Hart Lane, so was any indication given that there would be more trains stopping at NJ?

CPFC247
18-02-2014, 02:18 PM

You would like to think that Network Rail would have checked and seen that a fixture in the biggest league in the world was taking place nearby and it involved one of the biggest clubs in the world and man utd.

CaterhamEagle
18-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Picked a good day for it:hmph:

EagleSE24
18-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Will all turnstiles be working? I turned up for the WBA game in the AW about 10-15mins before kick off and there were huge queues to get in as two of the Entrance 5 turnstiles weren't open.

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I dont think that Network Rail could care less about our fixtures unfortunately.

If people turn up 10 mins before kick off they will probably not be in their seats in time for the display. The HF, not to mention the team, deserve our support so let's try and fill the stadium early this Saturday.

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 05:06 PM
For the Spurs away game, although Northumberland Park was closed, additional trains served White Hart Lane, so was any indication given that there would be more trains stopping at NJ?

None that I have heard of. 4 an hour from Vic, CJ and Balham

Jaserob
18-02-2014, 05:21 PM
One thing that will help ease the congestion after the game is that the Man utd fans will be leaving 15 minutes before everyone else. As I couldn't find a way to shape this in the form of a question, I will ask if you think this is a valid statement? :)

HRP
18-02-2014, 05:34 PM

2.30pm Crystals
4.00pm Stadium opens.

Post Match Glaziers , Red and Blue bar (both of these for all home fans) Wright and Bright Lounge and Stephenson Lounge will be open.

Hi Steve , I did mention the train situation back in December

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249228

asking if southern and the club could arrange a shuttle bus from clapham to selhurst , you suggested getting the train to Norwood .

Perhaps if this happens again next season the club could look at doing something like this ?

King William
18-02-2014, 05:40 PM

not that one would automatically look at a website for enginering updates (although some wood granted) - it has been advertised for ages

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi Steve , I did mention the train situation back in December

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249228

asking if southern and the club could arrange a shuttle bus from clapham to selhurst , you suggested getting the train to Norwood .

Perhaps if this happens again next season the club could look at doing something like this ?

I live near Clapham Junction and it's a crap journey by road on a Saturday You would have to allow an hour - and more than that if you stopped at all stations between. The train to Norwood Junction is a far quicker option.

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 05:55 PM
One thing that will help ease the congestion after the game is that the Man utd fans will be leaving 15 minutes before everyone else. As I couldn't find a way to shape this in the form of a question, I will ask if you think this is a valid statement? :)

Yes, I'm fully expecting Muzza to come on after 70 minutes and to nod one in the top corner five minutes later. Cue mass exodus.

Scrumpy
18-02-2014, 06:10 PM
How are trains to Crystal Palace? People can always get a train there and then walk (maximum 30 minute walk IMO)/get a cab (6)/get the 410 or 157 bus (1.45 on Oyster)

biggus mickus
18-02-2014, 06:26 PM
In this day and age, I still find it hard to believe that the transport system is so stupid.
All they had to do was look at the fixture list.:confused:

cjcpfc
18-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I live near Clapham Junction and it's a crap journey by road on a Saturday You would have to allow an hour - and more than that if you stopped at all stations between. The train to Norwood Junction is a far quicker option.

Another way is get a train to Balham (Mitcham Eastfields/Dorking ones) then get on 249 into Streatham for connecting bus or stay on it to Buelah Hill/All Saints Church and walk down unless your lazy get the 468!

CPFC2010
18-02-2014, 06:54 PM
How are trains to Crystal Palace? People can always get a train there and then walk (maximum 30 minute walk IMO)/get a cab (6)/get the 410 or 157 bus (1.45 on Oyster)

All Trains from Central London to Crystal Palace go on to Norwood Junction so no point getting off there and climbing up the hill

thehalifaxman
18-02-2014, 07:05 PM
All Trains from Central London to Crystal Palace go on to Norwood Junction so no point getting off there and climbing up the hill

I believe the Grape and Grain is a very good reason Steve, especially as it would allow one to jump on the 5pm and train and be queuing to get in by 5.15pm ;)

sloworm
18-02-2014, 07:07 PM
In this day and age, I still find it hard to believe that the transport system is so stupid.

Think the transport dates were first and fixture list followed. Either way, not very sensible

ammiller
18-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Just wondering if it was possible they gave up bothering with the amount of fixtures being rearranged for TV schedules? NOt sticking up for them - or dissing the hand that feeds - but maybe they have avoided works at certain times, only to discover later the game was rescheduled cos it was on the box, or the oppo was playing in the UEFA Cup?

stinky
18-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Stinky - do you know whether Crystals have upped their Cronx order over recent weeks, or will I be drinking fizzy lager by half past 3?

Yep, they only order one on Tuesdays now but 2 for the weekends. I'm going to see if she wants 3 given the situation with the pubs.

TopKnot
18-02-2014, 09:01 PM

they don't, there are victoria to london bridge trains that don't go through NJ

herts_palace
18-02-2014, 09:50 PM
That's not quite true Steve as the Victoria to London Bridge(via Sydenham) doesn't neither does the London Bridge to Beckenham Junction.

PeterH
19-02-2014, 01:11 AM

Isn't it a downhill post pub stumble from Crystal Palace to Selhurst? It was when I lived on Whitehorse Lane. TBF I have been away awhile and things may have changed.

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 04:00 AM
I believe the Grape and Grain is a very good reason Steve, especially as it would allow one to jump on the 5pm and train and be queuing to get in by 5.15pm ;)

The Grape and Grain is a great pub for beer drinkers but you'd neec to get an earlier train than 5pm or you'll miss the HF display

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Isn't it a downhill post pub stumble from Crystal Palace to Selhurst? It was when I lived on Whitehorse Lane. TBF I have been away awhile and things may have changed.

A walk i have done many times. Flat along Church Road then down Beulah Hill

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Yep, they only order one on Tuesdays now but 2 for the weekends. I'm going to see if she wants 3 given the situation with the pubs.

Good Idea.

HRP
19-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Hi Steve

Am I correct in thinking that you are unable to watch the game live on tv in any pub in the local area due to the police closing them whilst the game is on ?

So if anyone has come down from manchester without a ticket they won't be able to watch the game anywhere ?

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi Steve

Am I correct in thinking that you are unable to watch the game live on tv in any pub in the local area due to the police closing them whilst the game is on ?

So if anyone has come down from manchester without a ticket they won't be able to watch the game anywhere ?

Yes i believe that pubs in the area of the ground have to close. I think they'd have trouble buying from touts too as we have made tickets very difficult to buy for non Palace fans.

Scrumpy
19-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi Steve

You may get lucky at Patrick's in Crystal Palace, or any pub in Croydon, as I can't see those pub closing as its quite far from the ground

stinky
19-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I've managed to push an extra cask at Crystals. Make sure everyone gets there in decent time and drinks lots.

Mr C
19-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Steve,

Why is the Park Road entrance to the Family Stand is not open on saturday?

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 02:02 PM
I've managed to push an extra cask at Crystals. Make sure everyone gets there in decent time and drinks lots.

Well done Simon, I'll be there at 3pm to do my bit.

Let's hope it all gets used and they may order 3 barrels for the Saints game too.

CPFC2010
19-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Steve,

Why is the Park Road entrance to the Family Stand is not open on saturday?

Police advice I believe. They want away fans only at that end of Park Road.

stinky
19-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Well done Simon, I'll be there at 3pm to do my bit.

Let's hope it all gets used and they may order 3 barrels for the Saints game too.

I'll probably drink one of them all by myself at the Saints game. Birthday.

andyocpfc
19-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Out of interest, how many pints does a cask contain and how many people approx does Crystals get in on a match day?

I would have thought a packed Crystals could easily demolish 3 barrels. That said I don't know what other beer is available on offer. I assume the normal Fosters. Smiths etc?

Is Palace ale available too in Crystals?

New LP
19-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Walk from Crystal Palace station to Selhurst Park is more than half an hour. You could jump on a 410 bus though.

Brumie Allan
19-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Police advice I believe. They want away fans only at that end of Park Road.Does that mean the lower gate of the Arthur near the away end won't be used this week as that normally elevates the queue at the top gates. If this is the case you will have to get there early.

Woosie
19-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Can you please ensure that all turnstiles are open on the other entrance then? They never ever are and the queues become needlessly longer.

Oddjob
19-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Does Crystals have the scores on?

CPFC2010
20-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Does Crystals have the scores on?

Yes, Crystals has the same tv feed as the rest of the screens in the stadium.

CPFC2010
20-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Out of interest, how many pints does a cask contain and how many people approx does Crystals get in on a match day?

I would have thought a packed Crystals could easily demolish 3 barrels. That said I don't know what other beer is available on offer. I assume the normal Fosters. Smiths etc?

Is Palace ale available too in Crystals?

A cask contains 72 pints so 3 barrels is not a lot when there must be at least 300 people using the bar.

Having said that it must be admitted that most people are not interested in real ale but I hope that those who are appreciate our efforts.

Apart from Draught Cronx, Crystals also sells Palace Ale and Kernel in bottles.

There is of course all the standard mass produced stuff available such as Fosters.

stinky
20-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Yep, 72 pints in a cask.

The problem they have is it's hard for them to predict what the crowd will be like. They've had to pour some away when they've only taken two casks before, but I've told them that I think the venue will be heaving on Saturday. Mix of a popular game, and the pub situation, means I think a lot of people will head to Crystals.

Steve's right though, the majority of people in there drink lager so I don't think it's a case of easily getting through 3 casks. I think they'll have to move on to a third but may have to pour some away.

andyocpfc
20-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Since I turned 30 I became more of a bitter/ale drinker rather than lager and based on the fact that the people that go into Crystals are families and 'older' people I would have thought it would go down like hot cakes. How long after a cask is opened must it be consumed Simon?

Anyhow, I'll be in there necking the ale :)

Scoot
20-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Not your fault but shame the police were not on the ball against that horrid little club from south wales .... and I don't mean Swansea,

stinky
20-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Since I turned 30 I became more of a bitter/ale drinker rather than lager and based on the fact that the people that go into Crystals are families and 'older' people I would have thought it would go down like hot cakes. How long after a cask is opened must it be consumed Simon?

Anyhow, I'll be in there necking the ale :)

The problem is Crystal have the beer 'bright'. This means we rack up the casks in the brewery, let the sediment settle out, then transfer the clear (bright) beer to new casks. This means they can move them around and serve them immediately. The problem is that bright beer only lasts 2 or 3 days before it starts to go off.

Almost all the beer in the stadium is now 'on yeast' but Crystals still take it bright.

tasty_snacks
20-02-2014, 05:47 PM

2.30pm Crystals
4.00pm Stadium opens.

Am I being dimwitted - how does one get to the Red n Blue bar for 3pm, if the turnstiles open at 4pm? :confused:

CPFC2010
20-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Am I being dimwitted - how does one get to the Red n Blue bar for 3pm, if the turnstiles open at 4pm? :confused:

I'm sure that one of the regulars will tell you....but come and have a drink with us in Crystals first.

disco mixx kidd
20-02-2014, 11:31 PM
There is always a turnstile open in e2 at 1pm on a normal 3pm kick off for the red and blue bar. Guess this will be open half hour earlier to allow people to get in early. There is always a turnstile open for the main stand lounges an hour before the stadium opens in e9 and e12/13.

CPFC2010
21-02-2014, 04:21 AM
There is always a turnstile open in e2 at 1pm on a normal 3pm kick off for the red and blue bar. Guess this will be open half hour earlier to allow people to get in early. There is always a turnstile open for the main stand lounges an hour before the stadium opens in e9 and e12/13.

There you go Rich.

Billy Rhino
21-02-2014, 10:33 AM
The problem is Crystal have the beer 'bright'. This means we rack up the casks in the brewery, let the sediment settle out, then transfer the clear (bright) beer to new casks. This means they can move them around and serve them immediately. The problem is that bright beer only lasts 2 or 3 days before it starts to go off.

Almost all the beer in the stadium is now 'on yeast' but Crystals still take it bright.

I had a pint of Cronx in the Blue bar at the West Brom game and it was cloudy, though it stills tasted ok. I assume it's harder to transport "on yeast" beer up the stairs? Also, is there any point in having them on yeast if you're going to throw any wastage away anyway?

Mr Palace
21-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I have a question about as I'm a season ticket holder in block D lower Holmesdale - so go in via E3. The gates don;'t open till 1.30 usually and they never let me and my mate go into the red and blue bar via E2 at 1pm. I don;'t get this and it winds me up - this has happened twice and it seems pointless.

So, do you know Steve ticket holders via E3 can go into E2 exit earlier than the gates at E3 are open? The people on he gates at E2 always say no.

Cheers.

CPFC2010
21-02-2014, 08:33 PM
The official answer is that the Red and Blue is licensed only for Upper Tier ticket holders.

All Palace fans can use Crystals pre-match.

tasty_snacks
22-02-2014, 01:04 AM
The official answer is that the Red and Blue is licensed only for Upper Tier ticket holders.

All Palace fans can use Crystals pre-match.

The whole turnstiles at 4, bar at 3 has me baffled I'm afraid.

Guess I'll just have to join you all in Crystals at 2.30.

Your round - you still owe me a half from Manchester.

Bernard Shakey
22-02-2014, 09:36 AM
None that I have heard of. 4 an hour from Vic, CJ and Balham

Bugger the 4 trains an hour from Victoria, what about the hordes of United fans travelling up from the South to the game and only being able to alight at NJ??

CPFC2010
22-02-2014, 10:18 AM
If it helps anyone, there are 2 trains an hour running non stop to Norwood Junction from Balham.

thereichstuff
22-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve , can lower holmesdale use the red and blue bar after the game ?

CPFC2010
22-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Yes.

andyocpfc
22-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Can Arthur users just use Crystals after or are other bars available?

glaziers fan
22-02-2014, 02:09 PM

How about getting some different varieties (bottled and draught) for the red'n'blue? And also publicising somewhere what you are going to have in advance?

CPFC2010
23-02-2014, 08:03 AM
How about getting some different varieties (bottled and draught) for the red'n'blue? And also publicising somewhere what you are going to have in advance?

I think we're only allowed 2 guests beers so we're already pushing it with Cronx on draught, Kernel, Palace Ale and 3 different Cronx beers in bottle.

CPFC2010
23-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Can Arthur users just use Crystals after or are other bars available?

Crystals is not open after the game but all home fans can use Glaziers.

andyocpfc
23-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Yes indeed. We went to Crystals before and Glaziers after. We spent about 2 hours before the game in crystals, and it really is an excellent place to go pre match and the Cronx and Palace ale are superb. It was heaving towards the end and at one point the queue for drinks went half way round the place, although it moved quickly. Glaziers after was good but something really needs to be done about the toilets in there. I pity the poor person that has to unblock/clean that urinal. Anyhow, shame about the result, but good day.

stinky
23-02-2014, 10:27 AM
All 3 casks sold out in Crystals before the game. Good job I persuaded them to take a third!

CPFC2010
23-02-2014, 11:23 AM
All 3 casks sold out in Crystals before the game. Good job I persuaded them to take a third!

Well played Simon. It was delicious too.

tasty_snacks
24-02-2014, 02:01 AM

Good work Mr Dale. Draught sold out in the red n blue bar by about 4.30.

Bubble Wrap
24-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi Steve,
Would like to compliment the Bar staff in the Red and Blue Bar on Saturday, The place was packed more than I have ever seen it and they were working flat out. Have the club considered buying some large pitchers say x4 pinters or even the 2 pinters like they have in Germany. Do think they would be popular and would cut down the queues dramatically. Think you could have sold twice as much beer Saturday.

CPFC2010
24-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Hi Steve,
Would like to compliment the Bar staff in the Red and Blue Bar on Saturday, The place was packed more than I have ever seen it and they were working flat out. Have the club considered buying some large pitchers say x4 pinters or even the 2 pinters like they have in Germany. Do think they would be popular and would cut down the queues dramatically. Think you could have sold twice as much beer Saturday.

Thanks. I will pass this idea on to the Catering Manager

Ruskin Old Boy
24-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Pre-match we were in the Stephenson talking with Stuart Burt's father - S Burt was the lino in front of the main stand - who was amazed at how busy the lounge was and pleasantly surprised by the quality of the beer.

herts_palace
24-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Hi Steve,
They did this at the Coach and Horses in Norwich for the excellent Chalk Hill brewery beers. For the Palace match this placed was rammed so to be able to get a 4 pint container for 9.60 was a no brainer.

I don't see why the same arrangement shouldn't work in Glaziers as well perhaps offering a small discount to encourage take up. Currently it could only be applied to the Cronx beers - unless you know 4 fans that all drink lager - but could still save time/hassle.

If you get the go ahead could this apply to all bars Steve?

CPFC2010
24-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Pre-match we were in the Stephenson talking with Stuart Burt's father - S Burt was the lino in front of the main stand - who was amazed at how busy the lounge was and pleasantly surprised by the quality of the beer.

Was it Cronx?

Ruskin Old Boy
24-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Was it Cronx?

I assumed it was - from the one barrel behind the bar.

It was the bottled Palace ale for me.