PDA

View Full Version : Palace Radio

leslie
24-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Steve
I'm 'told' Palace Radio is no longer broadcast on the 'airwaves', only the internet because of a decision by SP. Is this true and if so for what reason?
I was under the impression it was self funding with no input from the club.
It is a shame as I know lots of people listen whilst stuck in traffic as a decent alternative pre and post match to the usual BBC stuff and there had been a marked improvement in reception recently. Also get to listen to the manager's press conference (when the microphones are in the right place;) as well.

Cheers

CPFC2010
24-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Steve
I'm 'told' Palace Radio is no longer broadcast on the 'airwaves', only the internet because of a decision by SP. Is this true and if so for what reason?
It is a shame as I know lots of people listen whilst stuck in traffic as a decent alternative pre and post match to the usual BBC stuff and there had been a marked improvement in reception recently. Also get to listen to the manager's press conference (when the microphones are in the right place;) as well.

Cheers

I think that there was a problem with finding a position for a new aerial. It used tp be on a portakabin in the car park that is no longer there. Maybe Jerry from Palace Radio can answer this one?

Chobham Eagle
24-02-2014, 12:22 PM
May I just add that I'm also disappointed not being able to listen to Palace Radio when driving to and from the game? On Saturday I had to listen to that idiot Robbie Savage on the way home instead! :grrr: And I miss all those lovely adverts for JW Cannon etc! ;)

andyocpfc
24-02-2014, 12:51 PM
If it's on the net, does that mean you could listen via an App like tunein radio?

jhc
25-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Steve

Cheers

There is a long answer to this but I will try to be as brief as possible.
Back in the summer and with the Premier League approaching fast, Steve (P) decided he wanted to tidy up the main stand and executive car park area. I think we can already see the improvements with the cladding of the main stand, (which will look fantastic when itís all finished) and getting rid of the ugly skip, the unsightly cabling and old portakabin.
Unfortunately our aerial which went from that portakabin to the main stand had to go. We fully accepted, understood and supported the reasoning for that.
What we tried to do was to come up with a permanent solution with the idea of erecting a purpose built AM aerial to replace the one that had to go. Unfortunately, we were unable to find an immediate suitable position that would be effective and solve the problem long-term.
In the event, and with just a couple of weeks to go before the start of the season, our engineer came up with a temporary solution. Unfortunately this has thrown up a number of technical & IT issues with last minute breakdowns. I would not like you to think that we are apportioning blame in any way. That is simply not the case, but these issues are complex.
We have been working with the club on addressing these problems and hope to get back on 1278am with our temp aerial for the Southampton game.
Just for clarity, Palace Radio is the clubís radio station. It comes under the Communications dept. I am answerable to the Communications Manager. The club hold the OfCom licence and it is their radio station, but for historical reasons, we (the volunteers who work on it on a match-day) finance the other running costs and studio equipment.
There are plans in progress for digital, an App and other improvements for next season. I think there is a long way to go for AM as a broadcast medium if a solution at Selhurst can be found. 5Live & Talksport get the majority of their listeners on AM, despite their various other digital formats and will not be abandoning AM any time soon. As you suggest Leslie, people want to listen in their cars and for the foreseeable future AM is likely to be the main source for talk radio.
It is no oneís fault but just circumstances unfortunately. Rest assured we are doing our very best to address all the issues.
Jerry

Bernard Shakey
25-02-2014, 02:28 PM
I think that there was a problem with finding a position for a new aerial. It used tp be on a portakabin in the car park that is no longer there. Maybe Jerry from Palace Radio can answer this one?

I'm no technical bod but surely this is an opportunity to put the aerial on the nearest floodlight pylon?

CPFC2010
25-02-2014, 05:01 PM
There is a long answer to this but I will try to be as brief as possible.
Back in the summer and with the Premier League approaching fast, Steve (P) decided he wanted to tidy up the main stand and executive car park area. I think we can already see the improvements with the cladding of the main stand, (which will look fantastic when itís all finished) and getting rid of the ugly skip, the unsightly cabling and old portakabin.
Unfortunately our aerial which went from that portakabin to the main stand had to go. We fully accepted, understood and supported the reasoning for that.
What we tried to do was to come up with a permanent solution with the idea of erecting a purpose built AM aerial to replace the one that had to go. Unfortunately, we were unable to find an immediate suitable position that would be effective and solve the problem long-term.
In the event, and with just a couple of weeks to go before the start of the season, our engineer came up with a temporary solution. Unfortunately this has thrown up a number of technical & IT issues with last minute breakdowns. I would not like you to think that we are apportioning blame in any way. That is simply not the case, but these issues are complex.
We have been working with the club on addressing these problems and hope to get back on 1278am with our temp aerial for the Southampton game.
Just for clarity, Palace Radio is the clubís radio station. It comes under the Communications dept. I am answerable to the Communications Manager. The club hold the OfCom licence and it is their radio station, but for historical reasons, we (the volunteers who work on it on a match-day) finance the other running costs and studio equipment.
There are plans in progress for digital, an App and other improvements for next season. I think there is a long way to go for AM as a broadcast medium if a solution at Selhurst can be found. 5Live & Talksport get the majority of their listeners on AM, despite their various other digital formats and will not be abandoning AM any time soon. As you suggest Leslie, people want to listen in their cars and for the foreseeable future AM is likely to be the main source for talk radio.
It is no oneís fault but just circumstances unfortunately. Rest assured we are doing our very best to address all the issues.
Jerry

Thanks for the update Jerry

CPFC2010
25-02-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm no technical bod but surely this is an opportunity to put the aerial on the nearest floodlight pylon?

I think that they tried that and it didn't work because of interference.

Psychokiller
25-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Just plonk it on Sainsburys roof without permission and wait and see if they notice?

leslie
25-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation Jerry, much appreciated. Best of luck with the plans, look forward to you all 'gracing the airways' again soon.
Up the PALACE.

Les

Pistol Knight
25-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Cant that "portakabin" in the corner of the Homesdale/AW be used, it has done nothing all season!!!

jhc
25-02-2014, 05:28 PM

As Steve has said, not an option from a technical point of view. It has to be grounded and away from other structures. I wish the answer was as easy as that :)

rhino_mik
25-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Here are a couple of options:

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/guys_hospital_tower-pa-02.jpg

Stanzerman
26-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I originally posted on this subject at the beginning of the season and got similar responses. It is apparent that no progress has been made since then, no doubt 1278 AM it is not high on the priority list. The temporary ariel solution never did work properly, in particular you couldn't get a signal inside the ground. For many years prior to this season I enjoyed listening to the commentary (which is far better than any of the commercial stations!) whilst watching the match from my seat in the upper holmesdale and then while walking back to the station. It was particularly useful when the play was down the other end of the pitch! I'm sure that others with less than 20.20 vision did the same. Its alright taking about palace player and apps, but thats only any good if your at home on the computer or have one of those new fangled i.phones. I'm really disappointed that this hasn't been sorted out as it detracts from an otherwise exciting matchday experience.
If it can be sorted out I might even forgive CPFC2010 for hitting us oldies with a 28% increase in season ticket prices!

jhc
27-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Well Stan, an update for you on our temporary aerial problems. We believe we have finally sorted out the IT issues which frustratingly resulted in everything 'crashing', so we should be back on air on 1278am for the Southampton game. Unfortunately this will not solve the problem of being able to listen to our commentary inside the stadium I'm afraid. That is something that will have to be addressed for next season.