PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Price

EsussexEagle
01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi Steve,
I think I'm right in saying that the reduced rate for Pensioners concession on Tickets is from the age of 60?
I have been retired early aged 55 (yes I realise in one way how lucky I am) but for the next 5 years will still have to pay full price for a ticket whilst drawing a pension.
Has this ever come up before and if proof of being retired was provided would a concession be allowed if a Season Ticket was purchased? Cheers Steve.

CPFC2010
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Steve,
I think I'm right in saying that the reduced rate for Pensioners concession on Tickets is from the age of 60?
I have been retired early aged 55 (yes I realise in one way how lucky I am) but for the next 5 years will still have to pay full price for a ticket whilst drawing a pension.
Has this ever come up before and if proof of being retired was provided would a concession be allowed if a Season Ticket was purchased? Cheers Steve.

No, sorry, senior concessions start at 65 which, I believe, is the official age for state pensions.

Billy Rhino
01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Shouldn't pensioners have to prove they are drawing state pensions before getting a discount? A lot of pensioners are rich.

eaglejez
01-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Steve,

you don't think that being rich enough to doss around from the age of 55 doing bits and bobs to top up your income when you want is good enough ? You also want a discount on your ST aswell ? :D

TAK
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Oh dear, just as well we don't have a ten year season ticket.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news/20051020/early-retirement-early-death

EsussexEagle
01-03-2014, 07:49 PM
you don't think that being rich enough to doss around from the age of 55 doing bits and bobs to top up your income when you want is good enough ? You also want a discount on your ST aswell ? :D

You'll note in my initial question I said I had been retired, not chosen to retire, and if I could do bits and bobs to top up my income I wouldn't have been retired in the first place. I'm certainly not rich and I've never dossed in my my life mate.

CPFC2010
01-03-2014, 08:19 PM
You'll note in my initial question I said I had been retired, not chosen to retire, and if I could do bits and bobs to top up my income I wouldn't have been retired in the first place. I'm certainly not rich and I've never dossed in my my life mate.

Don't worry, he's only joking. Sorry if money is tight but remember that the instalment plans means you can buy a season ticket for under 40 per month with 12 payments spread out to February 2015.

EsussexEagle
01-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Don't worry, he's only joking. Sorry if money is tight but remember that the instalment plans means you can buy a season ticket for under 40 per month with 12 payments spread out to February 2015.

And very fair at that price which is what I intend to do, Thanks for answering but thought I'd ask, nothing worse than finding out 6 months down the line there was a more cost effective solution out there that I'd missed. Cheers Steve.

Stanzerman
02-03-2014, 02:17 PM
And very fair at that price which is what I intend to do, Thanks for answering but thought I'd ask, nothing worse than finding out 6 months down the line there was a more cost effective solution out there that I'd missed. Cheers Steve.

Dont hold your breath mate, its becoming fashionable to target pensioners these days. Even Palace have joined the bandwagon, they've just cut the OAP season ticket discount for next season to 35%, last year it was 46% so our prices have gone up by 28% for next season. If it carries on like this, by the time you're 65 we will be paying a supplement for being old rather than getting a discount and probably no bus pass or winter fuel payment either!

eaglejez
02-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Dont hold your breath mate, its becoming fashionable to target pensioners these days. Even Palace have joined the bandwagon, they've just cut the OAP season ticket discount for next season to 35%, last year it was 46% so our prices have gone up by 28% for next season. If it carries on like this, by the time you're 65 we will be paying a supplement for being old rather than getting a discount and probably no bus pass or winter fuel payment either!

FFS - he's not a pensioner !! :D

*jack*
02-03-2014, 07:22 PM
....not to mention pensioners personal tax allowance hasn't increased under this government when the general allowance has gone up by thousands.
Incidently, state pension is paid to everyone however rich,

eaglejez
02-03-2014, 09:41 PM
....not to mention pensioners personal tax allowance hasn't increased under this government when the general allowance has gone up by thousands.

He doesn't qualify yet :p

Billy Rhino
03-03-2014, 12:07 AM

I don't think anyone is targeting pensioners who are just earning the state pension, as I think we all realise that isn't an easy thing to live on. The issue is that there are a lot of well off pensioners out there who could easily afford to pay full price to get in, and I think it's reasonable to look at ways of differentiating the two. How you do this I don't know, I thought if you were drawing a private pension then you couldn't also draw a state one but it would appear I wrong.

On the flip side I'm guessing there are a lot of pensioners who have spent thousands on season tickets over the years and I think those deserve to be rewarded with cheaper tickets.

Barbara4003
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't think anyone is targeting pensioners who are just earning the state pension, as I think we all realise that isn't an easy thing to live on. The issue is that there are a lot of well off pensioners out there who could easily afford to pay full price to get in, and I think it's reasonable to look at ways of differentiating the two. How you do this I don't know, I thought if you were drawing a private pension then you couldn't also draw a state one but it would appear I wrong.

On the flip side I'm guessing there are a lot of pensioners who have spent thousands on season tickets over the years and I think those deserve to be rewarded with cheaper tickets.

You can draw both - but you will be taxed on anything over your personal allowance.

Also, someone taking early retirement cannot draw their State Pension until they reach the state pensionable age, which is increasing all the time. By the time some of you youngsters get to the pensionable age, it will probably have risen to 70+.

palacea
03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
You can draw both - but you will be taxed on anything over your personal allowance.

Also, someone taking early retirement cannot draw their State Pension until they reach the state pensionable age, which is increasing all the time. By the time some of you youngsters get to the pensionable age, it will probably have risen to 70+.

exactly we will have nothing. that's why pensioners now should be taxed at a greater level, forget the bankers that's the real rich!

MikeyBaby
03-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Eh? The Personal Allowance is exactly that - everyone gets it.

The fact that some pensioners get a bit more via the Age Allowance is a bonus on top of the Personal Allowance. And it's only old people that can get the Married Couples Allowance. Very old people.

Bubble Wrap
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Majority of OAP Season ticket holders are sat in the Main Stand, The most expensive stand in the ground. To off set the reduction in discounts couldn't you just move to another stand.(Block B, HD. is welcoming) Not sure why pensioners get a discount anyway, its not like its a public service like the bus or train. Would give a discount to ex-forces as they have served their country but why give a discount to someone who can afford the full price anyway?