PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough

McpfcS
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Steve

I wondered with Liverpool visiting us next month and the new Hillsborough enquiry well underway whether there would be any appetite for CPFC to show our admiration of the courage and tenacity of the Hillsborough families.

Perhaps we could invite a representative of the families and we could show our appreciation with a round of applause at HT etc?

CPFC2010
03-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Steve

I wondered with Liverpool visiting us next month and the new Hillsborough enquiry well underway whether there would be any appetite for CPFC to show our admiration of the courage and tenacity of the Hillsborough families.

Perhaps we could invite a representative of the families and we could show our appreciation with a round of applause at HT etc?

There's going to be a special remembrance at the Villa game and indeed all games that day.

Barbara4003
03-04-2014, 07:23 PM
There's going to be a special remembrance at the Villa game and indeed all games that day.

Did I read somewhere that kick off will be 3.10 rather than 3.00?

CPFC2010
03-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Did I read somewhere that kick off will be 3.10 rather than 3.00?

Yes, 3.07 I think.

jarrad
03-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Steve

How about something for Bradford and Heysel? Both football tragedies....

CPFC2010
03-04-2014, 09:05 PM

I know, I was there. (Heysel not Bradford)

McpfcS
03-04-2014, 09:16 PM

My suggestion was not meant to create an additional moment of remembrance for Hillsborough but was designed to provide an opportunity to show our support for the families quite inspirational fight for justice as it is being realised with the current inquiry.

tasty_snacks
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
My suggestion was not meant to create an additional moment of remembrance for Hillsborough but was designed to provide an opportunity to show our support for the families quite inspirational fight for justice as it is being realised with the current inquiry.

The fight for justice, yes.

But it should be remembered that the main spokeswoman is also utterly against the return to safe-standing. Not something I can/ we should accord with.

CPFC2010
04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
The fight for justice, yes.

But it should be remembered that the main spokeswoman is also utterly against the return to safe-standing. Not something I can/ we should accord with.

True. I've been told, off the record, that the main reason why the government cannot support/allow safe standing is that ministers cannot be seen to be going against the wishes of the families.

Until there is some sort of closure/justice for the families of the Hillsborough victims (which they quite clearly deserve) then I can't see any progress being possible on the safe standing issue.

McpfcS
04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
True. I've been told, off the record, that the main reason why the government cannot support/allow safe standing is that ministers cannot be seen to be going against the wishes of the families.

Until there is some sort of closure/justice for the families of the Hillsborough victims (which they quite clearly deserve) then I can't see any progress being possible on the safe standing issue.

I think that's absolutely the case. I would hope that with the completion of the enquiry and some education re the merits of modern safe standing their position could be softened a little.

The safe standing lobby should certainly be focussing their efforts on bringing the families on side as without their (qualified) support I too can't see safe standing making any progress - much too politically sensitive.

RCUK
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Not wishing to get into a huge debate on this, but i thought the main reason for the issues re Hillsborough was too many people and not enough space.

Had the correct amount of people been let in then it would have been safe.

Guessing now ticket technology etc has moved on a lot, and things like CCTV etc much more prevalent to stop such issues happening.

Also (and i stand to be corrected on this) many parts of europe still have standing areas without any issue.

In fact:
Borussia Dortmund’s Westfallenstadion is famous for its’ intimidating atmosphere, generated by the largest standing only terrace in Europe. 25,000 fans fit into this terrace known as the “Yellow Wall”. This terrace has created a large, dedicated group of supporters, and their passion can be felt on the field by the players and by viewers on TV.

MikeyBaby
04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure basing policy on someone's (understandably) emotionally invested opinion is ever terribly sensible.

People could end up doing something daft like buying a football club.

CPFC2010
04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure basing policy on someone's (understandably) emotionally invested opinion is ever terribly sensible.

People could end up doing something daft like buying a football club.

That would be crazy

selhursthoover
04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, 3.07 I think.

Correct answer.

:p

Lord Flange
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM

I believe Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks were given a personal viewing of the recently installed safe standing block at Ashton Gate. An interview she gave shortly after was the first time I have heard her talk about standing in more moderate terms.

Seeing is believing hopefully...

marky1919
15-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Interesting comments from Grobbelaar about Hillsborough, especially the BBC's quote of "Grobbelaar describes what he saw and heard, images that have lived with him for 25 years. (With new inquests into the tragedy under way, we cannot describe what Grobbelaar saw for legal reasons.) "

Well, it can't be anything damaging to the fans themselves, so the BBC have taken these comments as possible slight on the police. He's presumably said something that lands the police in it again. I doubt anybody can truly trust the police ever again after Hillsborough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27027766