PDA

View Full Version : Ian Holloway column in Sunday Mirror

Uswortheagle
06-04-2014, 10:08 PM
A question re Ian Holloways column in today's Sunday Mirror( I know we should not believe everything in the papers) he mentioned that our promotion was worth 150 million to Palace.

I can't get my head round this figure,I thought it was approx 65 million plus so much if we were to be relegated over 4 years ie 15 million per season,is the additional monies to do with overseas TV rights which I read was worth crazy money now to the Premiership clubs pr is the figure mentioned not correct.

CPFC2010
06-04-2014, 11:09 PM
A question re Ian Holloways column in today's Sunday Mirror( I know we should not believe everything in the papers) he mentioned that our promotion was worth 150 million to Palace.

I can't get my head round this figure,I thought it was approx 65 million plus so much if we were to be relegated over 4 years ie 15 million per season,is the additional monies to do with overseas TV rights which I read was worth crazy money now to the Premiership clubs pr is the figure mentioned not correct.

Assuming that you come last in the PL and are relegated, the tv money is approx 65m and the same again spread over 4 years as a parachute payment. So 130m yes. Then there is also more income from tickets, sponsorship etc.

But that's not profit. There are big bonuses paid to players and management on promotion, a doubling of the wage bill (at least), transfer fees and many, many other costs. So, that is very much a gross amount. As you know any profit that we can make out of being in the PL will go to stadium development which is sorely needed and can easily consume all the gains.

Uswortheagle
08-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for reply Steve, us supporters see and hear so many figures banded about,so the clarity of your reply is very helpful, are you able to say how much the overseas TV rights are worth to CPFC or is this still under discussion etc,again so many figures are talked mentioned in articles it is not clear to me.
Keep the great work up, I have followed Palace for 50 years and now travel from the North East for every home game, and the 325 miles each way certainly is less painful when we play week or not lose

CPFC2010
08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for reply Steve, us supporters see and hear so many figures banded about,so the clarity of your reply is very helpful, are you able to say how much the overseas TV rights are worth to CPFC or is this still under discussion etc,again so many figures are talked mentioned in articles it is not clear to me.
Keep the great work up, I have followed Palace for 50 years and now travel from the North East for every home game, and the 325 miles each way certainly is less painful when we play week or not lose

The figures mentioned include all tv rights, home and abroad.

Lord Flange
08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Is the tv cash subject to the usual VAT demands Steve? That would take around 10 million of a 65 million prize straight away..

CPFC2010
08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Is the tv cash subject to the usual VAT demands Steve? That would take around 10 million of a 65 million prize straight away..

No it's an ex VAT figure.

pardew's shorts
08-04-2014, 04:36 PM
He made yet another snide dig in his latest column. I don't hate IH like many on here bizarrely seem to, but in regards his departure I wish he'd put up or shut up:

"I may have left Palace back in October because I felt I was fighting a losing battle there - and not just in terms of trying to stay in the Premier League.

"But I am no quitter."

CPFC2010
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
IH did an amazing job getting us promoted but if TP keeps us up that will be an even more remarkable achievement.

Both great managers.

Latvian Eagle
08-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Did we have a Confidentiality agreement put in place when IH left? If not surely in a couple of instances he must have come close to breaking this?

orp pisshead1
08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
IH did an amazing job getting us promoted but if TP keeps us up that will be an even more remarkable achievement.

Both great managers.

In their respective divisions imo.

spy
08-04-2014, 09:27 PM
He made yet another snide dig in his latest column. I don't hate IH like many on here bizarrely seem to, but in regards his departure I wish he'd put up or shut up:

"I may have left Palace back in October because I felt I was fighting a losing battle there - and not just in terms of trying to stay in the Premier League.

"But I am no quitter."

Well he did say that he was struggling to get the players to believe in the way he wanted to play as they were too defensive minded so maybe that is what he is referring to rather than anything more sinister.

CPFC2010
08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Well he did say that he was struggling to get the players to believe in the way he wanted to play as they were too defensive minded so maybe that is what he is referring to rather than anything more sinister.

There really isn't anything more sinister.

Chris K
08-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Personally I think the body language of Wilf and Jule's in the past match interview Brighton play offs tells us more than any snide comments in ghost written articles

foxinthebox
09-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Maybe he was reffering to fighting a losing battle with the fans

A large amount still would not back him after promotion or recognise he had anything to do with our promotion. That must be confusing for him