PDA

View Full Version : Gap between opposing fans.

eaglebren
13-04-2014, 10:48 PM
How come there was just 2 rows of seats between opposing fans against Villa ?
Is each match in turn discussed on its merits with the police, regarding any potential problem ?

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 05:59 AM
Is each match in turn discussed on its merits with the police, regarding any potential problem ?

Yes, each match is discussed on its merits.

Ideally we would like no "sterile area" at all and home and away fans to sit next to each other and enjoy the game without any trouble.

Last season the sterile area was a whole block (1000 seats) with large (and expensive) numbers of Police when the likes of Brighton, Millwall and Charlton visited.

This season the area has been cut to half a block and there has only been a Police presence in the stadium for one match (Man Utd). There has been no trouble so recently we've been able to reduce it to just 3 or 4 seats for "low risk" visitors such as Southampton and WBA.

The same happened with Villa but unfortunately some of their fans were quite drunk and obnoxious and a few Palace fans let the club down as well.

It would be great to continue with a minimal sterile area but that might be scuppered by the bad behaviour of a few people who cant control themselves.

eaglebren
14-04-2014, 07:13 AM
I know it has been said many many times before, but I would like to thank you and all the co-chairmen, for taking the time to answer all our questions, however trivial. I know that it really is appreciated by all of us. Thanks again.

tasty_snacks
14-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I don't get it. I've sat right on the edge of away sections before, notably Arsenal this season and Cardiff in the semi a few years ago. There's only trouble if people rise to it. It's great to see Selhurst full up - I think I'm right in saying Saturday's attendance was the highest so far - people jeopardising that makes my blood boil.

Has each away side sold out this season at SP? If not, we can start to do what other clubs request of us, i.e. Instruct them to sell block R first and pay for any unsold tickets.

Norwich_Eagle
14-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Quick question with regards to a new stadium design, is it required that an "area" be set aside in between the two sets of fans, or would a massive fence be sufficient to minimise the amount of space used and therefore increase the amount of seats available? I appreciate it may be an impossible question to answer

IanH
14-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Ideally we would like no "sterile area" at all and home and away fans to sit next to each other and enjoy the game without any trouble.

Last season the sterile area was a whole block (1000 seats) with large (and expensive) numbers of Police when the likes of Brighton, Millwall and Charlton visited.

This season the area has been cut to half a block and there has only been a Police presence in the stadium for one match (Man Utd). There has been no trouble so recently we've been able to reduce it to just 3 or 4 seats for "low risk" visitors such as Southampton and WBA.

The same happened with Villa but unfortunately some of their fans were quite drunk and obnoxious and a few Palace fans let the club down as well.

It would be great to continue with a minimal sterile area but that might be scuppered by the bad behaviour of a few people who cant control themselves.

I have to say my thoughts during the first 10 minutes or so were "well the police won't ever allow that small a gap again!"

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't get it. I've sat right on the edge of away sections before, notably Arsenal this season and Cardiff in the semi a few years ago. There's only trouble if people rise to it. It's great to see Selhurst full up - I think I'm right in saying Saturday's attendance was the highest so far - people jeopardising that makes my blood boil.

Has each away side sold out this season at SP? If not, we can start to do what other clubs request of us, i.e. Instruct them to sell block R first and pay for any unsold tickets.

It makes my blood boil too!

Yes every away club has sold out bar Hull on a Tuesday night.

I think that forcing us to pay for unsold tickets is wrong so I don't think that we should do it. Also, the way the concourse is configured wouldn't allow us to put home fans in that area.

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Quick question with regards to a new stadium design, is it required that an "area" be set aside in between the two sets of fans, or would a massive fence be sufficient to minimise the amount of space used and therefore increase the amount of seats available? I appreciate it may be an impossible question to answer

I don't that a massive fence is practical or desirable.

Hopefully, in a new stand, the design can allow for a self-contained away fans area.

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 01:03 PM
I have to say my thoughts during the first 10 minutes or so were "well the police won't ever allow that small a gap again!"

Sadly they were my thoughts too.

I have been banging on about reducing the sterile area ever since we took over the club. We have been making real progress on this recently so I hope that a few idiots (on both sides of the divide it must be said) haven't messed this up for us.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-04-2014, 01:05 PM
One solution could be to use the method favorited at the Amex. They fill the ground with about 20,000 people who don't support either club playing, thereby diluting the potential for trouble.

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 01:08 PM
One solution could be to use the method favorited at the Amex. They fill the ground with about 20,000 people who don't support either club playing, thereby diluting the potential for trouble.

:lux:

CPFC_DAVE77
14-04-2014, 01:20 PM
The gap between Palace fans and Brighton, Millwall and Charlton is only going to get bigger and bigger over the next few years.

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 01:21 PM
The gap between Palace fans and Brighton, Millwall and Charlton is only going to get bigger and bigger over the next few years.

people are in a good mood today :lux::lux:

Gathers54
14-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Yes but that would only work if the club also give out free bus passes and clappers with the tickets... Not sure if this is an option?

stanmar
14-04-2014, 09:50 PM
I would suggest that next season - assuming Villa stay up - any increase from the minimum sterile area gets deducted from their allocation. Similarly if we have any other lesser supported teams visiting Midwest, we could only sell these tickets to them once they sell the other 90%. This wouldn't have any impact on concourse as only suggesting sterile area is put on end of away seats instead.

Is this an option that could be considered next year?

CPFC2010
14-04-2014, 10:57 PM
I would suggest that next season - assuming Villa stay up - any increase from the minimum sterile area gets deducted from their allocation. Similarly if we have any other lesser supported teams visiting Midwest, we could only sell these tickets to them once they sell the other 90%. This wouldn't have any impact on concourse as only suggesting sterile area is put on end of away seats instead.

Yes, that is a possibility if the away team doesnt sell out, but we have to offer them an initial 10% of stadium capacity.

Beanie
15-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Last May we had this small game at Wembley, you might remember. On that day I had four Palace fans and aisle occupied by about half a dozen stewards between me and a load of guys from Watford. How can a game like that manage without a sterile area? Seems strange

hughsey
15-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Yep but are a big club, have a large travelling support and will sell out their allocation for any game in London so that won't work as their entitled to a certain allocation. From where I was sitting in block v it would appear to have been maybe 10 or 15 fans of both sides trying to get at one another about 5 minutes into the game. One female Palace 'fan' was also in the thick of it, egging the villa fans on and taking videoing it on her mobile.

Hopefully those involved will be identified on CCTV and banned.

CPFC2010
15-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Last May we had this small game at Wembley, you might remember. On that day I had four Palace fans and aisle occupied by about half a dozen stewards between me and a load of guys from Watford. How can a game like that manage without a sterile area? Seems strange

It's a mystery to me why 20 or so fans on each side think its fun to provoke the oppo fans but sadly it did happen.

EagleSE24
15-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Are away fans entitled to 10% of the entire capacity of the stadium or is it 10% of the capacity once any sterile area has been taken into consideration? It seems unfair that a team with a bad reputation could get 10% of c.26000 and also require a huge sterile area that results in fewer Palace fans being able to buy tickets.

CPFC2010
15-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Are away fans entitled to 10% of the entire capacity of the stadium or is it 10% of the capacity once any sterile area has been taken into consideration? It seems unfair that a team with a bad reputation could get 10% of c.26000 and also require a huge sterile area that results in fewer Palace fans being able to buy tickets.

It's 10% of capacity but even our largest sterile are is now is only 500 seats so we're only talking about an extra 50 seats.

Andycol
15-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Shame really. Saying that I had heard from a Villa mate that they have regularly been fighting each other recently- the pro and anti Lambert crowd have been getting into each other.
If they are prepaid to have a go at each other, it's not an enormous stretch to anticipate the seemingly low level stuff that happened Saturday. Police should have picked up on this.

CPFC2010
15-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Shame really. Saying that I had heard from a Villa mate that they have regularly been fighting each other recently- the pro and anti Lambert crowd have been getting into each other.
If they are prepaid to have a go at each other, it's not an enormous stretch to anticipate the seemingly low level stuff that happened Saturday. Police should have picked up on this.

There were no Police. We are quite proud of our ability to steward our own stadium and this season Selhurst Park has been Police-free bar one game.

BlazeRIP
15-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Its alright for Watford to give us a piss poor allocation last season for so called trouble the season before ,how do they get away with that?.

Pistol Knight
15-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Arsenal have "special" rules for them (and Man U), we never got 6,000 tell them to do one, we give what we want

Andycol
15-04-2014, 06:54 PM
There were no Police. We are quite proud of our ability to steward our own stadium and this season Selhurst Park has been Police-free bar one game.

Steve, I meant they should have been aware of potential issues, and probably recommend a slightly larger seg area. Realise it's difficult, as we want as many bums on seats as poss.

Tom_Snelling
15-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Do we know how we rank in trouble terms compared to other Prem clubs? I would have thought we are pretty good overall?

CPFC2010
15-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Do we know how we rank in trouble terms compared to other Prem clubs? I would have thought we are pretty good overall?

I would certainly hope so. Apart from the smoke at Liverpool we have had very little trouble.

ebyeeckeagle
15-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Arsenal have "special" rules for them (and Man U), we never got 6,000 tell them to do one, we give what we want

I think the rule is 3k or 10% of the capacity if below 30k. Higher for FA Cup of course. So no special rules (though the extra for FA Cup has exceptions if reconfiguration is very tricky).

Benzhiyi
15-04-2014, 08:37 PM
I was sat right next to the Villa fans and the stewards handled the situation really well. Lots of fully grown men (both away and home supporters, sadly) behaving like children on a trip to the zoo.

The sad part was a little girl of about five or six, clearly intimidated by getting caught up in this meeting of small minds, getting carried out by her dad in floods of tears barely 15 minutes into the game. Not sure if they moved or left completely, but it's sad that a littl'un can have her matchday experience ruined by a bunch of planks desperate to show how well'ard they are. (While safely positioned behind a group of blokes in luminous jackets, of course.)

New LP
15-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Most Premier League clubs have such an arrangement, why are you making an issue here?

Yoda
15-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I sat at the end of the row beside the Arsenal fans at the Emirates. They had a strong fence that was about waist height beside me, then a walkway that the stewards/police patrolled along and stood in if anyone got mouthy, and then a matching fence running along beside the Arsenal fans.

You could jump the fence in an emergency, but it was also a deterrent as the stewards would probably catch you before you could then clear the second fence. Seemed a good system should you want to introduce some sort of barrier in the Arthur, or next stadium.

Billyd
15-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I was with a guest so moved my ST to block U for the Villa game. Have to say and without trying to be too biased here it was 95% Villa fans. Of course a few Palace fans reacted. But it was mostly Villa fans giving it the big one to kids and Japanese tourists in block U.

What did make me laugh though was once it all got sorted, once enough stewards and Police turned up, 5 minutes later they all disappeared so inevitably it kicked off again later in the game.

Norwich_Eagle
16-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I would certainly hope so. Apart from the smoke at Liverpool we have had very little trouble.

And the Rooney "incident"

CPFC2010
16-04-2014, 08:51 AM
And the Rooney "incident"

Yes indeed that was totally unacceptable and the club received a written warning from the league about it.

Halfwayline
16-04-2014, 11:41 AM
In any new stadium you would you have to make 25% of the ground available to be given to away clubs for cup games?