PDA

View Full Version : Academy Status

Beanie
29-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Quick question - well two. Is the club still looking at going for Cat 1? Does the staying up money help? Any progress? (okay, three!)

CPFC2010
29-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Quick question - well two. Is the club still looking at going for Cat 1? Does the staying up money help? Any progress? (okay, three!)

At the moment Cat 2 but we might go for cat 1 in the future.

Suffolkeagle
29-04-2014, 01:50 PM
What's the difference may I ask?

CPFC2010
29-04-2014, 01:57 PM
What's the difference may I ask?

I'm not an expert on this, someone else may know better. The main difference is that if you are a Cat 1 Academy you play your games in the National Cat 1 League against clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd.

Woosie
29-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm not an expert on this, someone else may know better. The main difference is that if you are a Cat 1 Academy you play your games in the National Cat 1 League against clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd.

:hi:

Cat 1 means that only other Cat 1 academies can come and take your players, and you receive increased compensation for them (only a few hundred Łk over the course of their career but still).

As Steve says, you play in the Professional u21 Development League and if that's the top league as it would be then it's sponsored so the Barclays u21 Premier League I believe. You play against other clubs with Cat 1, something like 24 have it including a few Championship clubs.

It involves a significant cost increase; although also an increase in funding to offset that somewhat. You need a certain number of full time staff (something tells me it's 34 but I may be wrong) and all of the facilities must be in one place. Currently we have the Crystal Palace dome which obviously is not at Beckenham and thus we do not meet the requirements. You also need to have a link up with a school to ensure that the 10,000 hours of contact time is obtained.

From what I can gather, the amount of travelling is one of the reasons we have not pushed for Cat 1 so far. I think Gary Issott believes that the quality in Cat 1 is not that important compared to the massive increase in travelling. Also, the club seems to be looking more towards loan moves to develop our youngsters.

The main benefit is the increased protection for young players; as only 24 other clubs can steal them, rather than something like 50 odd. Also you can steal players from any other club in the country if you are Cat 1.

Steve can feel free to edit/not approve this but given it is in the next issue of FYP and Gary Issott told me during an interview, I think it is OK to say that yes, the money does help, we are looking to implement a "Premier League strategy" this summer.

IMHO Cat 1 isn't that important as it stands. A club like Palace has an excellent catchment area, and a good reputation as well as more money than some to be able to hold on to players and attract them. Loans are significantly better than staying in the u21s. Anyway, I'll stop before I make this more like GPD.

Far East Eagle
29-04-2014, 04:03 PM

CPFC2010
29-04-2014, 04:18 PM
:hi:

Cat 1 means that only other Cat 1 academies can come and take your players, and you receive increased compensation for them (only a few hundred Łk over the course of their career but still).

As Steve says, you play in the Professional u21 Development League and if that's the top league as it would be then it's sponsored so the Barclays u21 Premier League I believe. You play against other clubs with Cat 1, something like 24 have it including a few Championship clubs.

It involves a significant cost increase; although also an increase in funding to offset that somewhat. You need a certain number of full time staff (something tells me it's 34 but I may be wrong) and all of the facilities must be in one place. Currently we have the Crystal Palace dome which obviously is not at Beckenham and thus we do not meet the requirements. You also need to have a link up with a school to ensure that the 10,000 hours of contact time is obtained.

From what I can gather, the amount of travelling is one of the reasons we have not pushed for Cat 1 so far. I think Gary Issott believes that the quality in Cat 1 is not that important compared to the massive increase in travelling. Also, the club seems to be looking more towards loan moves to develop our youngsters.

The main benefit is the increased protection for young players; as only 24 other clubs can steal them, rather than something like 50 odd. Also you can steal players from any other club in the country if you are Cat 1.

Steve can feel free to edit/not approve this but given it is in the next issue of FYP and Gary Issott told me during an interview, I think it is OK to say that yes, the money does help, we are looking to implement a "Premier League strategy" this summer.

IMHO Cat 1 isn't that important as it stands. A club like Palace has an excellent catchment area, and a good reputation as well as more money than some to be able to hold on to players and attract them. Loans are significantly better than staying in the u21s. Anyway, I'll stop before I make this more like GPD.

Thanks Matt. I'd be the first to say that your opinion and answer on this are more valid than mine.

Gazza2
29-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Matt,
Both the Cat 1 and Cat 2 leagues have been split into North and South divisions this season, so there is no difference in travelling requirements between Cat 1 & 2. And in both Cat 1 & 2 you play a small number of games aginst clubs in the North division.
I think the change was made this season in response to feedback from Academy Heads that there was a need to reduce the travelling.

We do face a lot of competition for young talent with the Millwall academy based less than 3 miles from ours (they are Cat 2 just like us) and Charlton academy is based in Eltham. We have Cat 1 clubs like Fulham branching out into "our area" - they currently have a brilliant young RB (as do we!) who is from Brixton. I agree that Cat 1 main benefit is that Cat 2 clubs cannot pinch players off of us and, more importantly, probably means a Palace lad with an opportunity to join a Cat 1 academy has no reason to leave us if we are also Cat 1.
Nearly all of our current u16s and u18s joined the club before we fell into Cat 2 and lost the glamour academy fixtures this club has had for donkey years (pre the new Academy structure which started season before last, we were in southern u18 league so played home and away every year versus top acadmies like Arsenal, West Ham, Southampton, Chelsea, Norwich etc). So I think the test will come when we try and recruit new talent to join our Academy for first time. We will get the decent local lads still but any that are truly outstanding will have offers from Cat 1 London acadmies.