PDA

View Full Version : Premiership versus Championship Revenues

Mictor Voses
01-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi Steve,

Now we have spent nearly a full season in the Premiership are you able to tell us how much next season will be worth playing in this league in terms of revenue in comparison to what we could expect if we had we gone down to the Championship?

You hear numbers from 60-120m banded around by the media but would be great to hear from the horse's mouth what a season in the Premiership is truly worth to a club like ours versus a season in the Championship.

Hope this info isn't too private!

Cheers

MV

CPFC2010
01-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Steve,

Now we have spent nearly a full season in the Premiership are you able to tell us how much next season will be worth playing in this league in terms of revenue in comparison to what we could expect if we had we gone down to the Championship?

You hear numbers from 60-120m banded around by the media but would be great to hear from the horse's mouth what a season in the Premiership is truly worth to a club like ours versus a season in the Championship.

Hope this info isn't too private!

Cheers

MV

In the Championship the tv money is about 4m and with other income the club brings in about 10-12 million per year. With the sort of wage bill we had last year the club has outgoings of around 15-18 million so it loses money. The only way to break even is to have a very low wage bill like Barnsley or have Premier League parachute payments that you don't spend like Blackpool. I think I'm right in saying that 21 of the 24 clubs in the Championship lost money last year. One club chairman told me that he wrote off 30million of losses. We didn't make a loss because of the exceptional sale of Zaha but in the previous seasons the club has lost money which was funded by loans from the owners which, as yet, have not been repaid.

In the Premier League we have to spend a great deal more on wages, bonuses, transfer fees etc. But our income is massively more. The tv money is about 62 million for finishing last and increases by a million or so for every place above that that a club finishes in the table. Sponsorship, ticket sales and other revenue increases so we will have an income of 7 or 8 times more this season than last season. The ticket income from supporters is actually quite a small percentage of total income in the Premier League. We've sold 15000 season tickets for next season but that has only raised 5million in income - less than one player at a top club earns in basic salary in 4 months....

Profits will go towards further additions to the squad and will help finance future ground improvements.

mushroom
02-05-2014, 08:25 AM
After all our outgoings, what is the projected profit for this year. Also how come the loans haven't been repaid to CPFC2010?

CPFC2010
02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
After all our outgoings, what is the projected profit for this year. Also how come the loans haven't been repaid to CPFC2010?

It depends on our final league position. That makes a considerable difference. We'll then discuss budgets for next season and maybe paying back loans.

Chobham Eagle
02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
The ticket income from supporters is actually quite a small percentage of total income in the Premier League. We've sold 15000 season tickets for next season but that has only raised 5million in income - less than one player at a top club earns in basic salary in 4 months....

So from what you're saying, you could halve the price of tickets without it making much difference! :D

(It was nice meeting you outside Goodison Park, by the way.)

CPFC2010
02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
So from what you're saying, you could halve the price of tickets without it making much difference! :D

(It was nice meeting you outside Goodison Park, by the way.)

or double it....

Chobham Eagle
02-05-2014, 12:20 PM
or double it....

True.

I guess that's why you're a successful businessman and I'm not!

cpfc4evandeva
02-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Well doubling it would make a difference in that people wouldn't be able to afford it anymore, so you'd probably make less :)

CPFC2010
02-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Well doubling it would make a difference in that people wouldn't be able to afford it anymore, so you'd probably make less :)

Seriously of course, there are no plans to make any significant changes to the ticket prices at Selhurst Park. We have to compete on and off the field with our rivals but still aim to have the most reasonable prices of any Premier League London club.

Mad Max
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Just to show the gulf between the big 4 and ourselves I remember a quote during an interview with a member of our staff in the run up to the cup final in 1990.Moan ure`s takings just through their club shop was equivalent to our total takings from everything :eek: Makes you wonder what the difference is now 24 years later.Having said that it hasn`t done them much good if their reputed debts are in excess of 700 million.

CPFC.ORG
04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
When will you know the financials for 2014-15 season as there seems to be an increase every year

CPFC2010
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
When will you know the financials for 2014-15 season as there seems to be an increase every year

I dont know, not sure it's been finalised precisely yet.

For example if QPR or Wigan are promoted via the play offs then thats a large amount of parachute money that the PL doesnt have to pay out to them next season.

madpalacefan
04-05-2014, 01:33 PM
I think the most important thing to do come next Sunday when we know our final league position is to REPAY all director loans.

You chaps paid out from your own pocket (Or as Theo would say, From your kids inheritance) for the first few years, you deserve repaying in full and very soon......

Thanks again!

unsensibleLiam
04-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I dont know, not sure it's been finalised precisely yet.

For example if QPR or Wigan are promoted via the play offs then thats a large amount of parachute money that the PL doesnt have to pay out to them next season.

Doesn't this parachute money get distributed to football league clubs rather than being kept by the PL?

CPFC2010
04-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Doesn't this parachute money get distributed to football league clubs rather than being kept by the PL?

I dont think so. I'll try and find out.

unsensibleLiam
04-05-2014, 09:08 PM
I dont think so. I'll try and find out.

Fairly certain it is the case, it certainly was a few years ago. I think the Championship get the majority and then league 1 and league 2 teams get decreasing fractions.