PDA

View Full Version : crystal palace london

big bad John
04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Steve--- When I first went to the States,Americans I spoke to couldn't believe that English football teams didn't have major sponsorship deals. I argued that we were traditionalists and would never sell our souls for the almighty dollar. Within a couple of years all football league teams had their shirts plastered with the name of the local builder or the nearest rubber factory.
Now yesterday I ended up having a chin-wag with a couple of our colonial cousins. The subject got around to football, something I hate talking to them about, but some of the points they made definitely caught my attention. and I'd be interested on your take on them.
These guys worked in marketing, and one thing the yanks know is how to make money. They even make fortunes on wars they lose. They were completely amazed that not one of the 15 or 16 league clubs in London had incorporated the name London into their name. I know sweet fanny about marketing but I have to admit their argument was very persuasive.

1. Football has now become global. London and New York are the most famous cities. Even the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls use the name New York even though they play in New Jersey. Folks abroad would gravitate towards the name London.
2. They reinforced their arguement by explaining how the name Liverpool is so succesful abroad. People associate the city with the Beatles. No one outside England knows where Everton is, or which teams actually play in London.

Now I hope Selhurst never becomes full of tourists and as an old schooler I'd be the first one outside the Main Stand demonstrating if we ever changed our name, but do you think one of the London teams will take this path? To many it is a no brainer. I'm shocked none of the shysters over East London way haven't been looking into this. Or have they? Is their a law against incorporating the name London ?

CPFC2010
04-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Steve--- When I first went to the States,Americans I spoke to couldn't believe that English football teams didn't have major sponsorship deals. I argued that we were traditionalists and would never sell our souls for the almighty dollar. Within a couple of years all football league teams had their shirts plastered with the name of the local builder or the nearest rubber factory.
Now yesterday I ended up having a chin-wag with a couple of our colonial cousins. The subject got around to football, something I hate talking to them about, but some of the points they made definitely caught my attention. and I'd be interested on your take on them.
These guys worked in marketing, and one thing the yanks know is how to make money. They even make fortunes on wars they lose. They were completely amazed that not one of the 15 or 16 league clubs in London had incorporated the name London into their name. I know sweet fanny about marketing but I have to admit their argument was very persuasive.

1. Football has now become global. London and New York are the most famous cities. Even the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls use the name New York even though they play in New Jersey. Folks abroad would gravitate towards the name London.
2. They reinforced their arguement by explaining how the name Liverpool is so succesful abroad. People associate the city with the Beatles. No one outside England knows where Everton is, or which teams actually play in London.

Now I hope Selhurst never becomes full of tourists and as an old schooler I'd be the first one outside the Main Stand demonstrating if we ever changed our name, but do you think one of the London teams will take this path? To many it is a no brainer. I'm shocked none of the shysters over East London way haven't been looking into this. Or have they? Is their a law against incorporating the name London ?

Those are very interesting points and I agree that it is extraordinary that no club in, arguably, the world's greatest city uses the name London.

"South London Eagles" would be a great name for a team or even "London Palace" or "Crystal Palace London" but I cant see us changing our name after 109 years as CPFC (not that it stopped Big Mal changing our colours, badge and nickname 40 years ago!)

croydonexile
04-05-2014, 07:39 PM
South London f.c has a ring to it and would really annoy our neighbours !

paoloblanco
04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Whilst Crystal palace isn't as recognizable as london it's amazing how many cities have a Crystal Palace. My personal favorite is in the Parc de Madrid and then of course there's the one in Disneyland.

EastbourneEagle
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Are we the only Premiership London team that doesn't have foreign owners? If so, the London bit should be claimed by us and us alone

CPFC2010
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Are we the only Premiership London team that doesn't have foreign owners? If so, the London bit should be claimed by us and us alone

West Ham have British owners. I think that the owner of Spurs is British but a tax exile.

liberal clubber
04-05-2014, 10:45 PM
:pLondon Palace
LPFC, LPFC,
LPFC, LPFC,LPFC :):p

Halfwayline
06-05-2014, 12:41 AM
In the same way that we call "Sporting Club De Portugal" Sporting Lisbon you often see Arsenal London and Chelsea London in foreign broadcasts and in print.

There is no such team as Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers but the prefix is often added.

As a matter of interest he official name of Benfica is "Sport Lisboa e Benfica"

RednBlue
06-05-2014, 07:06 AM
PLEASE Don't even think about it. We're Crystal Palace Football Club, always were and always will be.

andy burton
06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
West Ham have British owners. I think that the owner of Spurs is British but a tax exile.

Stoke - Coates family.

wholethedougin!
06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Crystal Palace Football Club is our name.
South London Football Club sounds like ISS name...........!

CPFC2010
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
PLEASE Don't even think about it. We're Crystal Palace Football Club, always were and always will be.

Don't worry.

RednBlue
06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
In CPFC2010 we trust!

cantspell
06-05-2014, 01:18 PM
One thing that might be a good idea is to bag one of the new London domain names for website use

Kevin T
06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Or why not just offer Fullers a sponsorship deal that's too good to turn down and then we can have 'London Pride' splashed across our shirt. Surprised nobody has done this before.

MikeyBaby
06-05-2014, 02:49 PM
I often have London Pride splashed over my shirt.

Biggineagle
07-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Or why not just offer Fullers a sponsorship deal that's too good to turn down and then we can have 'London Pride' splashed across our shirt. Surprised nobody has done this before. Now that I like:p Or Shepherd Neame "No fokker comes close".

Bankerhater1
08-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Maybe deal with this via merchandise ...? A nice outline of South London appropriately red & blue, with CPFC South London .... ? I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere ...

Smoz
08-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Maybe deal with this via merchandise ...? A nice outline of South London appropriately red & blue, with CPFC South London .... ? I'm sure it's been suggested before, somewhere ...

Similar to this one from the HF?

http://i42.tinypic.com/1zqykup.jpg

Streathamite
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Think Chelsea were originally going to call themselves London FC, seem to remember reading that. So glad they didn't. No club can represent London, it's too separated. Everything north of the river might as well be a different city for a start.

Am Phibian
08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
There used to be a London league team called Thames FC. They had a stadium with a capacity of 120,000.

Great name. Dead as a dodo club.

swhib
08-05-2014, 08:30 PM
We just need to say Crystal Palace Football Club London, Whenever we do any international marketing, simple.

ice_man30
09-05-2014, 12:06 AM
There used to be a London league team called Thames FC. They had a stadium with a capacity of 120,000.

Great name. Dead as a dodo club.
They played in red & blue too :p

Henfield Eagle
09-05-2014, 12:40 AM
I often have London Pride splashed over my shirt.

:p:D

Bankerhater1
17-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Smoz .. There you go .. I knew I'd seen/heard it somewhere!! Doesn't need any explanation ... if you know, you know, etc!! Put a CPFC Eagle at the rear collar centre, and I'd buy it ...

mrgins
17-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Please, we don't HAVE to follow everything the US has to offer