PDA

View Full Version : Season Tickets purchased by Touts

Uswortheagle
07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
A question about the possibility that Touts may well be purchasing Season Tickets,following the game on Monday it was very very obvious that either Palace season ticket holders had given there seats to Liverpool supporters or worse still is that Touts could be purchasing Season Tickets.

Someone commented that a Liverpool supporter had paid 150 for a seat,it would only take a Tout to sell his seat for the major games against Man Utd etc and he would make a profit.

Do you think among the 15,000 plus season tickets sold this is a possibility and can it be done without passing the actual Ticket on or can a Paper ticket be printed off for individual games.

Have we gained a lot of new Season ticket holders without previous purchase history.

At entrance E2 for the past two games they have not scanned the tickets and the Stewards are not checking anything either,would be interested in your thoughts

CPFC2010
08-05-2014, 06:39 AM
A question about the possibility that Touts may well be purchasing Season Tickets,following the game on Monday it was very very obvious that either Palace season ticket holders had given there seats to Liverpool supporters or worse still is that Touts could be purchasing Season Tickets.

Someone commented that a Liverpool supporter had paid 150 for a seat,it would only take a Tout to sell his seat for the major games against Man Utd etc and he would make a profit.

Do you think among the 15,000 plus season tickets sold this is a possibility and can it be done without passing the actual Ticket on or can a Paper ticket be printed off for individual games.

Have we gained a lot of new Season ticket holders without previous purchase history.

At entrance E2 for the past two games they have not scanned the tickets and the Stewards are not checking anything either,would be interested in your thoughts

I really dont think that Touts bought Season Tickets. They were not to know that our season would end with such a high profile game and there was not much secondary market demand for most of the other games.

Also I think it would be impractical for a tout to sell for one game and then get the card back for the next one. So it would only work for the last game of the season and for all we know that could be a game with nothing resting on it next season.

Barbara4003
08-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I would imagine they get paper ticket substitutes. You only have to say you've forgotten your ST or left it somewhere, and the Box Office print off a replacement paper ticket for a small fee.

Maybe it would be interesting to see if the Box Office had many requests for reprints?

CPFC2010
08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
I would imagine they get paper ticket substitutes. You only have to say you've forgotten your ST or left it somewhere, and the Box Office print off a replacement paper ticket for a small fee.

Maybe it would be interesting to see if the Box Office had many requests for reprints?

You still have to prove that you are the season ticket holder if you forget your card and need a paper replacement.

Scoot
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Or Palace fans buying them. Saw a guy outside Sainsbury meet 2 scousers gave them tickets, when they asked where to go he just said follow me. It was either main stand or holmesdale. They were less than impressed when I voiced how happy I was that they were not in the Whitehorse

webgard
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
I really dont think that Touts bought Season Tickets. They were not to know that our season would end with such a high profile game and there was not much secondary market demand for most of the other games.

Also I think it would be impractical for a tout to sell for one game and then get the card back for the next one. So it would only work for the last game of the season and for all we know that could be a game with nothing resting on it next season.

I got to a Barcelona game against Valencia with a friend of mine using a season ticket at Nou Camp. Our hotel arranged for a large number of Irish tourists (and we tagged along) to buy tickets from a Tout. He handed us season tickets (I got an old lady's ST and my friend became my teenage son!) and when we got to our seats he came in and collected season tickets. It might be a hassle if the Tout manages one or two season tickets, but having more than that and the least he can do is to cover the cost of his own ST!

RCUK
08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Personal highlight were 2 scousers pissed off outside crystals when they werent let in with their palace tickets - and they proceeded to get even more pissed off when security guy said 'those arent even legit tickets' :)

Great business plan there - flog tickets to scousers that arent even tickets! Guess people have no clue what they look like coming from elsewhere.

islander
08-05-2014, 12:24 PM
All very interesting but what if any action was taken about the Steward at E2 who it is alleged did not check the tickets but just let people in. f true it must be a very serious breach of his employment rules and presumably we will not be seeing him again next season.

CPFC2010
08-05-2014, 01:13 PM
All very interesting but what if any action was taken about the Steward at E2 who it is alleged did not check the tickets but just let people in. f true it must be a very serious breach of his employment rules and presumably we will not be seeing him again next season.

I always pass on complaints and comments to the Stadium Manager and they will be investigated. Nobody will be judged solely on comments made on the internet. Obviously staff matters must remain confidential.

jone-zee
08-05-2014, 01:30 PM
The scanners were apparently defective at E2 for both Mondays game and The City game. I must say though that the operators or stewards outside were not the same for either game and the steward was checking season tickets on entry.

gary3a
08-05-2014, 01:32 PM

You're wrong. OP said that e2 didn't scan the tickets, not didn't check them and just let people in as you say. World of difference.

webgard
08-05-2014, 01:47 PM

We honestly can't expect the chairman of the club or director of any company to discuss alleged disciplinary breaches of their employees in public and talk about potential procedures which are most probably confidential. If they were to do so, they would be in breach of employment rules and regulations themselves.

I just wonder whether there could be a system to pass information to SB privately in a confidential yet effective way. We can always send PM but I just assume it would be very difficult to go through loads of private messages, many of them just showing gratitude or congratulating them on success, to find actionable information. Maybe a labeling system, similar to one in Transfer Talk can be useful.

TopKnot
08-05-2014, 01:52 PM
6 or 8 seats in the row in front of where I sit have been filled by different people every game. They aren't regulars or ST holders, and most of the time are from abroad. I have no idea how they are getting tickets!

ice_man30
09-05-2014, 12:02 AM

I think its a little nieve to think that, I have been approached by touts at every game this season, some even stand outside the box office/club shop. They walk past and just quietly ask if I need tickets, I have reported them to stewards and officials, who seem to just look on.

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 07:00 AM
We really are going to get tough on any Palace fans who re-sold their sesason ticket card or match ticket to touts or direct to away fans.

This letter is going to be sent out today to several people whose seats had unruly away fans in them.

"Dear xxxxxxx

It has been brought to the clubs attention that as a season ticket holder there were tickets purchased with your client reference for our final home against Liverpool. The purchase was for the home end of Selhurst Park were then used by Liverpool supporters.
Regardless of whether monies for this purchase was exchanged directly with you as the purchaser, or if you sold your ticket to a third party website you are breaking the terms and conditions of our ticketing policy. Our tickets clearly state that our tickets cannot be sold without the previous written permission of Crystal Palace FC. As a season ticket holder we would expect our supporters to make every effort to ensure that the home ends of Selhurst Park are used by Crystal Palace supporters

As a club we are taking this matter very seriously, and last week we advised all supporters of the following;

Crystal Palace Football Club retain the right to resell or transfer tickets, we are not affiliated to any third party sellers/websites. Should tickets be found in the possession of supporters that have not purchased directly from us then the club reserves the right to make that ticket void and the holder may be refused entry or ejected from the Stadium. The original owner of the ticket may face a possible ban from the club This applies to season ticket holders and members

Before the club takes further action, we would like to make ourselves aware of the circumstances that resulted in your purchase being used by visiting supporters. Please make every effort respond to the club by Wednesday 14th May 2014. As a current season ticket holder please note that the club may take the action to void the season ticket of anyone who has found to have re-sold their 2013/14 season ticket to ticket touts/ visiting supporters or a third party ticketing website.
Failure to respond may result in a ban for all or some of season 2014/15"

RCUK
09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Bravo for the email... think it conveys the right message across esp as warnings had been given.

Also if u cancel their 2014/15 ticket - are you under obligation to refund any monies paid (assuming they are not on the 12 month scheme).

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Bravo for the email... think it conveys the right message across esp as warnings had been given.

Also if u cancel their 2014/15 ticket - are you under obligation to refund any monies paid (assuming they are not on the 12 month scheme).

I don't think so if the customer has broken the contract by re-selling.

thehalifaxman
09-05-2014, 10:53 AM
We need thumb print scanners on every turnstyle. If it works for an iPhone it can work our games.

Problem solved

stanmar
09-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Well done on this Steve. I hope you are going to make sure it gets out into the media - local SPL/Croydon Ad/CPFC website - to back up the message that you're not just giving this lip service? As above, no names of course, but this is a great strong message!

With the figures being quoted by touts and less riding on Palace's future for this match, I'm sure a fair few considered this for a short while. However ultimately most fans want to see us up against the "big boys" and are proud of the stance being taken to make Selhurst a Palace fan's fortress.

I reckon a lot are like me and are quite choosy about making sure it's a Palace fan that comes along on rare occasions they can't go! We all remember when no guests took up a 'spare' free ticket not that long ago for just championship football!!!

Uswortheagle
09-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Again well done CPFC. 2010 for taking this seriously and warning "our supporters" to play the game and keep the Home sections for Palace fan.

justjuice
10-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't think so if the customer has broken the contract by re-selling.

Good email! I knew a few Palace fans that couldn't get tickets for this and it annoyed me to see so many Liverpool sitting nearby.

With the above point - wouldn't the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 be separate contracts?

Streathamite
10-05-2014, 09:55 AM
We need thumb print scanners on every turnstyle. If it works for an iPhone it can work our games.

Problem solved

It doesn't work on my phone! There would be lots of technical difficulties.

Also It's great to see the club going about it this way Steve

charltonhater
10-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Problem solved

Presumably you aren't being serious(although lack of sarcastic smilie means I can't be sure)
Even if you ignore the huge amount of money that would cost to introduce, the complaints of people going on about their 'civil liberties, data protection and human rights' and the fact it is discriminatory towards people without hands it wouldn't work as
a) child tickets get used by adults for evening games
b) when a season ticket holder can't go, they often lend it to the season ticket holder they go with to take someone else in their placed
c) some people have 2 season tickets, one for themselves and one for a guest, taking a number of different people for each game depending on which of their friends is free for that particular game.

Ryan_the_eagle
10-05-2014, 12:24 PM

As a turnstile op that worked on E2 for both of them games I can say that I very very much doubt this happened. At least three of us working there for the Liverpool game have been with the club for a long time (4-7 years), with one older gentleman that has been there even longer.

The scanners have been very shoddy since we changed from ticketmaster to see tickets and I'm sure most that have been working on the turnstiles over this time would agree. The delay between scanning and accepting the ticket has been getting longer and longer, but this may be due to the increased crowds putting more traffic through the server.

For the last two games we have been unable to scan the tickets as it would not load past the start screen. I don't know of this has been the case all season as I tend to be moved around the ground. In cases when the scanners do not work we have no choice, but to manually check tickets. To be honest I personally find this quicker, but completely understand the risk when people may be using duplicates to gain entry to the match.

Personally I saw no sign of any wrongdoing from anyone working on the gate. And although it is entirely possible that it goes on, haven't seen any for a number of years.

CPFC2010
10-05-2014, 12:57 PM
As a turnstile op that worked on E2 for both of them games I can say that I very very much doubt this happened. At least three of us working there for the Liverpool game have been with the club for a long time (4-7 years), with one older gentleman that has been there even longer.

The scanners have been very shoddy since we changed from ticketmaster to see tickets and I'm sure most that have been working on the turnstiles over this time would agree. The delay between scanning and accepting the ticket has been getting longer and longer, but this may be due to the increased crowds putting more traffic through the server.

For the last two games we have been unable to scan the tickets as it would not load past the start screen. I don't know of this has been the case all season as I tend to be moved around the ground. In cases when the scanners do not work we have no choice, but to manually check tickets. To be honest I personally find this quicker, but completely understand the risk when people may be using duplicates to gain entry to the match.

Personally I saw no sign of any wrongdoing from anyone working on the gate. And although it is entirely possible that it goes on, haven't seen any for a number of years.

Thanks Ryan

JRLJamielin
10-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Good email! I knew a few Palace fans that couldn't get tickets for this and it annoyed me to see so many Liverpool sitting nearby.

With the above point - wouldn't the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 be separate contracts?

Because I have so few loyalty points I couldn't go and it upsets me that there were liverpool fans in the home ends. Shame I can't go to many games now because I have so few points :sob:

CPFC2010
10-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Because I have so few loyalty points I couldn't go and it upsets me that there were liverpool fans in the home ends. Shame I can't go to many games now because I have so few points :sob:

Jamie, you are getting confused. You do not need any loyalty points to go to Palace home games.

Liverpool was the only home game to completely sell out all season and even for this game this was ample opportunity to buy tickets before they ran out.