PDA

View Full Version : Greg Dyke - Proposal & Report

jcreedy
09-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Whilst the commission might have put forward the odd good point and probably have the best of intentions, I find Greg Dyke's b-team idea the most worrying. Young b-teams playing against the likes of Southend and Yeovil with barely any support won't help them to develop, and if those kids are on 10k per week that doesn't make for anything like a fair playing field.

The lack of English players playing in the top two divisions is partly due to the high stakes involved in playing inexperienced kids, partly due to the home-grown player rule being rather pointless, and because the cost of doing coaching badges in the UK is extortionate. It's not one overriding thing that's stopping the talent getting games.

Why does Dyke think that he has the right to bring in such drastic changes with no evidence that his ideas will work? Why does he assume that as football fans, we all care deeply about how much England succeed?

Do you know if the club gets a vote on any of this? What are your thoughts on it all?

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Whilst the commission might have put forward the odd good point and probably have the best of intentions, I find Greg Dyke's b-team idea the most worrying. Young b-teams playing against the likes of Southend and Yeovil with barely any support won't help them to develop, and if those kids are on 10k per week that doesn't make for anything like a fair playing field.

The lack of English players playing in the top two divisions is partly due to the high stakes involved in playing inexperienced kids, partly due to the home-grown player rule being rather pointless, and because the cost of doing coaching badges in the UK is extortionate. It's not one overriding thing that's stopping the talent getting games.

Why does Dyke think that he has the right to bring in such drastic changes with no evidence that his ideas will work? Why does he assume that as football fans, we all care deeply about how much England succeed?

Do you know if the club gets a vote on any of this? What are your thoughts on it all?

I've not read it but will do. I'm personally not in favour of B teams playing in the leagues if that means that "real" teams might suffer.

Woosie
09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Were Palace consulted about it?

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Were Palace consulted about it?

I don't know.

GreatGonzo
09-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I've not read it but will do. I'm personally not in favour of B teams playing in the leagues if that means that "real" teams might suffer.

What if we were to have a tie up with a lower league team whereby our young players automatically go there for a couple of seasons to improve them?

Brighton perhaps?

jcreedy
09-05-2014, 01:28 PM
What if we were to have a tie up with a lower league team whereby our young players automatically go there for a couple of seasons to improve them?

Brighton perhaps?

Why should our b-team get a promotion place that a real club/team would otherwise get?

Ian
09-05-2014, 10:01 PM
As one of the 17 established Premier League clubs, Palace can have quite a big say in the way English football is run. The board ought to discuss this report and decide on a reaction to the various points in it.

For what it's worth, I think the B team idea is atrocious. The one thing where English football really does lead the world is in the numbers watching our lower-league clubs. Many countries 2nd tiers would be delighted with the sort of attendances our 5th tier gets. There are many reasons for this, but one of them is that our leagues are full of real clubs - not 'B' teams. I'd sooner the England team was disbanded than have our club structure wrecked.

I suppose I'd better ask a question now - will you sign this petition (http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-football-association-say-no-to-b-teams)?

Murk E
10-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Brighton perhaps?

I was going to suggest Charlton ....... but remembered that they are already a feeder club for that Belgian outfit.

kevb
10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
I sincerely hope the board come out fighting against this ludicrous proposal in the same way you did against EPPP.

TommyBlack
10-05-2014, 04:43 PM
To be fair to Dyke, the system works perfectly in Europe. Barca and Madrid wouldn't be the teams they are without it, not to mention the Spanish national side. B Teams can't get promoted, at least not into the same league as the A team. In Spain what this means is that while Barca B and Real Madrid Castilla often perform well, near the top of the table, they can't compete in Play-offs or the Copa Del Rey. While Dyke's idea of how to do it might be a bit rubbish, the concept is a good one. There is evidence that it works and it wouldn't make real teams suffer.
If Palace B played on a different night to Palace A, at Selhurst or nearby, there surely would be people that would go to support. In Barcelona they have a whole separate ground (mini estadi) because so many people want to see future Barca and Spain stars for much lower ticket prices.

Beanie
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
To be fair to Dyke, the system works perfectly in Europe. Barca and Madrid wouldn't be the teams they are without it, not to mention the Spanish national side. B Teams can't get promoted, at least not into the same league as the A team. In Spain what this means is that while Barca B and Real Madrid Castilla often perform well, near the top of the table, they can't compete in Play-offs or the Copa Del Rey. While Dyke's idea of how to do it might be a bit rubbish, the concept is a good one. There is evidence that it works and it wouldn't make real teams suffer.
If Palace B played on a different night to Palace A, at Selhurst or nearby, there surely would be people that would go to support. In Barcelona they have a whole separate ground (mini estadi) because so many people want to see future Barca and Spain stars for much lower ticket prices.

There is a crucial difference between England and the countries where B teams compete - the pyramid. No other country has anything like it. How can you contemplate teams in 8 /9 / 10 being promoted? And of course, how far can these B teams be relegated? Also, the a Premier League B teams - what if the "parent club" is relegated from the Premier League? As for real teams not suffering - you could in theory have three seasons where not conference side moves, and then a similar block of League 2 sides until all the B teams are in League 1, and of course, if these B teams aren't going to get out of League 3 and then 2 they aren't going to do much for the England team, are they?

Looks to me as if the commission has said "We must do something - this is something so let's do it!"

Suffolkeagle
10-05-2014, 08:46 PM

Brighton perhaps?

Can we do this but with cambridge?

READING EAGLE
11-05-2014, 06:11 AM
What about the players at the lower club full of young British players that mostly started in the bigger clubs anyway - Dwight Gayle Simon Rodgers Geoff Thomas Alan Pardew
These sorts of players would then not get any game time in favor of premier league home grown talent that could be from anywhere in world so long as been at club during their development best to have a proper reserve team playing at same time as the 1st team in a localised regional based league and a national knock out cup.

Pistol Knight
11-05-2014, 06:57 AM

So what 2 teams will be able to dominate our top league and get all the spoils like their own TV money away from the rest? Spain is like Scotland in that respect a 2 team league.

No thanks

We have a loan system that should be used better with the loaning club paying the smaller team to have their players so the smaller club is not financially burdened in any way and if the player plays they get more money, thats how to get the player experience and smaller clubs will then see some of the megabnucks sloshing about at the top.

WestBerksPalace
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I think Greg Dyke swallowed a silly tablet. I've not heard such a proposperous suggestion, since, well, since Sepp Blatter last opened his mouth. Excellent article in the Non League paper yesterday, which clearly knocks his suggestion to pieces.

You cannot compare our pyramid structure to any around the world.

The only thing I agree about is trying to have more young english players in the top flight.