PDA

View Full Version : Away Fans

FMH57
09-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi Steve,
Just wondering how many extra points you thought our fans were worth last season? TP has always mentioned how important they are, and no better example than him mentioning them sucking the ball into the net in the last 10 minutes on Monday.
Although not an away traveller myself I am always amazed watching the streams at our away support. For instance this season to go to Cardiff, one of the noisiest grounds in the country, and make it sound like a home match for Palace surely has a massive impact for the team ( and maybe the decision making by officials!). Bear in mind at Cardiff we also did not take our full allocation.
With extra points meaning higher places and higher income, any chance of a relatively small reward for these fans? Impossible to do for home fans ( I already consider the ticket prices value), but how much do things like the free coach travel to Everton cost the club? Is it at all feasible to do this for many of the long distance matches? An alternative would be subsidised tickets for away matches where our fans are clearly being ripped off. Man City , West Ham spring to mind. Chelsea did something similar selling tickets for their away semi versus Athletico Madrid for 20 euros. This may up our away numbers at certain long distance grounds.
The PR by doing this would be great for CPFC in the media. Thanks to you guys our reputation is growing by the day, and I certainly think our fans are playing their part in this also!

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Hi Steve,
Just wondering how many extra points you thought our fans were worth last season? TP has always mentioned how important they are, and no better example than him mentioning them sucking the ball into the net in the last 10 minutes on Monday.
Although not an away traveller myself I am always amazed watching the streams at our away support. For instance this season to go to Cardiff, one of the noisiest grounds in the country, and make it sound like a home match for Palace surely has a massive impact for the team ( and maybe the decision making by officials!). Bear in mind at Cardiff we also did not take our full allocation.
With extra points meaning higher places and higher income, any chance of a relatively small reward for these fans? Impossible to do for home fans ( I already consider the ticket prices value), but how much do things like the free coach travel to Everton cost the club? Is it at all feasible to do this for many of the long distance matches? An alternative would be subsidised tickets for away matches where our fans are clearly being ripped off. Man City , West Ham spring to mind. Chelsea did something similar selling tickets for their away semi versus Athletico Madrid for 20 euros. This may up our away numbers at certain long distance grounds.
The PR by doing this would be great for CPFC in the media. Thanks to you guys our reputation is growing by the day, and I certainly think our fans are playing their part in this also!

We will see what we can do as a small gesture of thanks to our fantastic away supporters next season. Free coaches again for a game is an option but of course that's a bit unfair on those who prefer to go by car or train.

Far East Eagle
09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
We will see what we can do as a small gesture of thanks to our fantastic away supporters next season. Free coaches again for a game is an option but of course that's a bit unfair on those who prefer to go by car or train.

That's the argument used by the right for getting rid.of the NHS, "why should it be free? I don't use it"

BaldEagle96
09-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Free beer would no doubt go down well?

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Free beer would no doubt go down well?

See me in the pub for that one ;-)

Dorking .Eagle
09-05-2014, 10:45 AM
This season Chelsea offered a choice of coach or train travel at a subsidised price of just 10 to ten away fixtures (ie the furthest ones)

http://www.chelseafc.com/chelsea-article/article/3345045

I'm not suggesting that Palace do anything like that number of games (I'd rather the clubs money was spent on infrastructure projects like undersoil heating or new stands to be honest) but if you are obliged to offer a certain number of 'perks', then personally the furthest away trips are the ones where assistance would be most welcomed. This season, having Sunderland then Newcastle away on consecutive weeks was a big financial stretch.

Perhaps an offer could be tied in if Jeremy gets permission to run one of his steam trains to a game next season?

salop_eagle
09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Or maybe Season Ticket holders who have to do 400 mile round trip to Home Games could be subsidised (he said hopefully!)? ;-)

cjcpfc
09-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Or maybe Season Ticket holders who have to do 400 mile round trip to Home Games could be subsidised (he said hopefully!)? ;-)

Nice thinking - I guess its harder for you to the away games with the distance? If so something for that?

We could be over-complicating things though!?

Bernard Shakey
09-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Why not subsidise the more expensive away tickets, Chelsea immediately springs to mind, then everyone that goes gets the benefit of the deal surely?

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Why not subsidise the more expensive away tickets, Chelsea immediately springs to mind, then everyone that goes gets the benefit of the deal surely?

I'm not sure that susbsidising the ticket prices charged by other clubs would be the answer, but if it were then away trips to places like Hull and Burnley would probably be the ones, not high profile games that sell out rapidly and have to be allocated.

croydonexile
09-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Talking of away fans.

Behaviour wise have the away fans in the prem behaved compared to those of visiting championship supporters. Obviously our 2 bitterest rivals are not in the same league as us so taking away the knuckle draggers usual breaking of seats etc.. has the damage / ejection rate been lower this season ?

CPFC2010
09-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Talking of away fans.

Behaviour wise have the away fans in the prem behaved compared to those of visiting championship supporters. Obviously our 2 bitterest rivals are not in the same league as us so taking away the knuckle draggers usual breaking of seats etc.. has the damage / ejection rate been lower this season ?

3 bitterest rivals I'd say.

Yes it has been better with 90% of all matches Police-free and the reduction in the size of the sterile area to virtually nothing for some games.

salop_eagle
09-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Nice thinking - I guess its harder for you to the away games with the distance? If so something for that?

We could be over-complicating things though!?

I was only joking! I choose to travel to home games so it's my issue!
And to be fair there are plenty of away games within reasonable striking distance for me! So can't really complain.

Have to admit I was a bit choked when after supporting the club for over 50 years, the year I hit 60 the Senior concession moved to 65! Bit like the government pension scheme!
But I understand the reasons!
Just don't move it to 70 in 2017 - please!