PDA

View Full Version : Away seating

Halfwayline
15-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Steve, is there a way of having a small percentage of seats that are for supporters who want to sit? I appreciate that 90% are able to stand and happy to do so but there are fans who are in pain or just prefer to sit.

CPFC2010
15-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Steve, is there a way of having a small percentage of seats that are for supporters who want to sit? I appreciate that 90% are able to stand and happy to do so but there are fans who are in pain or just prefer to sit.

You can request seats in the front row to be sure of being able to sit. We've suggested to the Premier League that each club offers away fans a specific seated section for families and the elderly but no news on this yet. I think the problem with this is that, if they do it, they have to admit that everyone else is allowed to stand in the rest of the away section (which of course is what happens).

Tele Caster
15-05-2014, 04:39 PM
An away family section should be compulsory at all grounds for parents who want to take young children and don't want to be surrounded by people constantly stood up and swearing.

CPFC2010
15-05-2014, 07:17 PM
An away family section should be compulsory at all grounds for parents who want to take young children and don't want to be surrounded by people constantly stood up and swearing.

I agree amd it's exactly what I've told the Premier League

Pistol Knight
15-05-2014, 07:34 PM
You can request seats in the front row to be sure of being able to sit. We've suggested to the Premier League that each club offers away fans a specific seated section for families and the elderly but no news on this yet. I think the problem with this is that, if they do it, they have to admit that everyone else is allowed to stand in the rest of the away section (which of course is what happens).

Steve would it not be a good idea to ask people to "submit" a request form for "sitting" sections that the box office (they should know the front 10 rows or so) so that when people order tickets they will automatically be allocated certain seats?
I would submit a form for back 10 rows!

wrightchipvcfc
15-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Steve I know you put a lot of effort into this last season it is just as much a problem for fans who want to stand eg I wanted rows Aa tt something at the back witch I had taken the time and trouble to find out what rows was at back. So I went box office first day fulham tickets were on sale think it was day after everton was told had to sell as they come so was given seats down the front rows with lots of other fans who clearly wanted to stand now nothing will change you will have same problems next year till you tell Bo staff to get a selection of tickets out say row 1 5 20 25 then fans can go in Bo and arsk for what suits them standing sitting ect but if a 20 year old goes in buys 5 tickets gets given row 3 because it's day 1 of sales that now means all 28 rows behind them will be standing on the day just because staff wanted to sell in order or not get of there chair and find a higher row.What you have got to understand steve your there boss what they will say to you or say happens and what the fan asking at the counter experiences might be completely different back to fulham tickets they might say we sold in order in case we didn't sell out but you know this wasn't going to be the case to be honest doesn't affect me but I don't want to be put in a position where I'm in front of a small child or oap who wants to sit down let's hope box office can use some common sence next season.
Completely different

mikethetie2010
15-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks to you and everyone for an amazing year. You know my views on this subject and I just wanted to thank you for all the work you and the box office have done on this subject.It hasn't been entirely successful but effort has been much appreciated. Man City when the box office actively managed the situation showed what was possible and I actually took pictures because the stand/sit split was very much sitting in the ascendance, so it showed that the standing is often a practical necessity rather than a choice. It really is this choice that is the issue as I wouldn't want to impose my choice on anyone and there is no doubt that the singers and standers have created a tremendous atmosphere.

I hope that the other clubs in the league take on board your points and I dont have to send any more stroppy letters to opposition Box offices.

It does however amaze me that I could phone a concert hall in Australia and book a specific seat but I cant do the same for a football match in West London or Norfolk. If even a fraction of players wages was invested in a fit for purpose booking system across the league, instead of empty Sky studios this wouldn't be a problem.

oops there I go again logic and believing that the fans are important, how old school

keep up the good work and have a great summer.

thehalifaxman
15-05-2014, 08:23 PM

The flip side of this is you may not have enough family's to fill the section. Watford enforced this on us a few seasons ago. I remember getting the call from the box office to tell me that me and my dad were the wrong sort of family as were both adults and had our tickets refunded to be replaced with an empty seat as it went unsold. And even if we did manage to fill the allocation why are familys (1 adult 1 kid style) better than other fans?

If clubs would just let us sell tickets how we like box office could just sell tickets from back to front. If people requested a seat at the front they get one, otherwise they go in with rest beingsold from the back.

Unfortunately, whatever happens always ends up being devoid of common sence.

My question is the middle bit btw. Why are they allowed to tell us how to fill the away area, iwhy is it not Tue away teams 10% to fill and if they end up on ticketmaster or whatever as the away team doesn't take enough then thats that

jarrad
16-05-2014, 06:17 AM

I think the Premier League need to word it correctly to avoid giving the impression that standing is approved in other areas of the away end. Maybe a strictly sitting only stamp on the ticket may do it, as there is a bit of leeway in terms of standing at times of excitement ect...

CPFC2010
16-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Steve would it not be a good idea to ask people to "submit" a request form for "sitting" sections that the box office (they should know the front 10 rows or so) so that when people order tickets they will automatically be allocated certain seats?
I would submit a form for back 10 rows!

Yes, very good idea. I think people with away season tickets already do this but we'll work on doing it for everyone.

CPFC2010
16-05-2014, 10:41 AM
The flip side of this is you may not have enough family's to fill the section. Watford enforced this on us a few seasons ago. I remember getting the call from the box office to tell me that me and my dad were the wrong sort of family as were both adults and had our tickets refunded to be replaced with an empty seat as it went unsold. And even if we did manage to fill the allocation why are familys (1 adult 1 kid style) better than other fans?

If clubs would just let us sell tickets how we like box office could just sell tickets from back to front. If people requested a seat at the front they get one, otherwise they go in with rest beingsold from the back.

Unfortunately, whatever happens always ends up being devoid of common sence.

My question is the middle bit btw. Why are they allowed to tell us how to fill the away area, iwhy is it not Tue away teams 10% to fill and if they end up on ticketmaster or whatever as the away team doesn't take enough then thats that

They want us to sell them from one side to another with no gaps to maximise their income so that they can sell unsold seats to home fans.

Dorking .Eagle
16-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes, very good idea. I think people with away season tickets already do this but we'll work on doing it for everyone.

Yes, on the away season ticket form you can write on it that you want to be 'sitting' (ie at the front) and it hasn't failed yet.

Whilst this means that at Chelsea, Spurs etc, you are at the front of the Upper Tier (perfect view) you do have to accept that in single tier stands (eg Hull, Arsenal) you are literally at pitch level.

However it is much better than the previous situation, and it does mean you can sit and (nearly always) see all the game.

The effort the box office put in in grouping the people at the front who specifically want to sit is very much appreciated.

Oli28
16-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Would official unreserved seating not be the easy answer? They could still sell it block-by-block and would mean that those who want to sit/stand could move to where they need to go. I'd have thought that persuading clubs to do this would be a better option, plenty of championship grounds have unreserved away ends.

Tele Caster
16-05-2014, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=thehalifaxman;11745289]The flip side of this is you may not have enough family's to fill the section. Watford enforced this on us a few seasons ago. I remember getting the call from the box office to tell me that me and my dad were the wrong sort of family as were both adults and had our tickets refunded to be replaced with an empty seat as it went unsold. And even if we did manage to fill the allocation why are familys (1 adult 1 kid style) better than other fans?

They are not better my friend but it's just not very pleasant taking your five-year-old son and seven-year-old daughter to a match where they can't see a thing even if they stand on a seat and end up being surrounded by rowdy people who are constantly calling the ref or opposition c***s.

Halfwayline
17-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Perhaps we could set an example to other clubs by making the first 5 rows in the Away section sitting only. If the opposition agrees. However my head is already spinning to find a way of enforcing this? Really has to be a voluntary thing I suppose?

gazzagoalie
19-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I think the idea of all clubs adopting unreserved away seating is the way forward

cpfcfly
20-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Exactly my gripe with that match. I was 18 at the time so didn't fall under the kids rate so I got one 18-21 and one senior for my Mum. Turned down. Sat in the Watford Rous in the end. 2-0, "Dyche out", how wrong were they? :D

Anyway, the big gripe this season is away season tickets saying they want to be at the front stopping my Mum getting front row so I thought "fair enough, people are gonna be sitting". Nope. All standing. Not one child or senior at the front so every other had to be behind sitting down not watching any of the game because "we stand all the time". People like my Mum are just as good supporters as any and she gets rewarded for travelling hours to places like Newcastle to watch all of 5 minutes of the game. It really puts her off away games, and for us football is a family thing.

The system needs to be rejigged. Can't we insist that the away sections at Selhurst are sold like this, assuming we can dictate that sort of thing of course. We've seen it before where clubs have told us to sell tickets in a specific way, why can't we? And maybe they'll do it back and it could become the norm without going through the overpaid suits at Gloucester Place.

wrightchipvcfc
20-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I think the idea of all clubs adopting unreserved away seating is the way forward

Wigan away was good example of how undeserved works well it looked like a 75 25 split roughly in favour of standing still had a good atmosphere

Barbara4003
20-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Exactly my gripe with that match. I was 18 at the time so didn't fall under the kids rate so I got one 18-21 and one senior for my Mum. Turned down. Sat in the Watford Rous in the end. 2-0, "Dyche out", how wrong were they? :D

Anyway, the big gripe this season is away season tickets saying they want to be at the front stopping my Mum getting front row so I thought "fair enough, people are gonna be sitting". Nope. All standing. Not one child or senior at the front so every other had to be behind sitting down not watching any of the game because "we stand all the time". People like my Mum are just as good supporters as any and she gets rewarded for travelling hours to places like Newcastle to watch all of 5 minutes of the game. It really puts her off away games, and for us football is a family thing.

The system needs to be rejigged. Can't we insist that the away sections at Selhurst are sold like this, assuming we can dictate that sort of thing of course. We've seen it before where clubs have told us to sell tickets in a specific way, why can't we? And maybe they'll do it back and it could become the norm without going through the overpaid suits at Gloucester Place.

I always request front row (or as near to front as possible) and do get them, as I prefer to sit. I agree with you about people not sitting though. Most of the time it isn't a problem (and some grounds you do need to stand up, even if in front row because the seats are so much lower than the pitch). It doesn't bother me if I end up having to stand if I'm at the front, because at least I can see. I do always check who is behind me though as if they are sitting or are small children, then I will sit regardless of whether I end up seeing or not.

What irritates me is, I'd say 8 out of 10 games, there are people in my seats who have no intention of sitting, and I have to ask them to check their tickets (a polite way of saying 'you're in my seat'). It can be quite intimidating if they are 6' burly men.

I'd suggest next time you buy tickets for your mum, explain that she is elderly/short/can't stand and I'm sure the Box Office will be sympathetic and offer you seats as near the front as they are able.

chrisophiex
20-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Would official unreserved seating not be the easy answer? They could still sell it block-by-block and would mean that those who want to sit/stand could move to where they need to go. I'd have thought that persuading clubs to do this would be a better option, plenty of championship grounds have unreserved away ends.

That's perfect :p Everyone standing is bad news doe my 11yr old ... Almost enough to think twice about going :(

ardeo
21-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Rather than standing and sitting, could it be rephrased so the premier league can continue to turn a blind eye, for example singing and non-singing, or even make the first 10 rows designated family area, presume it would quickly be understood who the front area was for. Presume the percentage of people that wanted to sit at the front would stay relatively stable in terms of working out how many rows to allocate to it.

CPFC2010
21-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Rather than standing and sitting, could it be rephrased so the premier league can continue to turn a blind eye, for example singing and non-singing, or even make the first 10 rows designated family area, presume it would quickly be understood who the front area was for. Presume the percentage of people that wanted to sit at the front would stay relatively stable in terms of working out how many rows to allocate to it.

Yes this is the only solution that can work at the moment but it does require people in the front row(s) not to stand up.

cpfcfly
22-05-2014, 07:08 PM
I always request front row (or as near to front as possible) and do get them, as I prefer to sit. I agree with you about people not sitting though. Most of the time it isn't a problem (and some grounds you do need to stand up, even if in front row because the seats are so much lower than the pitch). It doesn't bother me if I end up having to stand if I'm at the front, because at least I can see. I do always check who is behind me though as if they are sitting or are small children, then I will sit regardless of whether I end up seeing or not.

What irritates me is, I'd say 8 out of 10 games, there are people in my seats who have no intention of sitting, and I have to ask them to check their tickets (a polite way of saying 'you're in my seat'). It can be quite intimidating if they are 6' burly men.

I'd suggest next time you buy tickets for your mum, explain that she is elderly/short/can't stand and I'm sure the Box Office will be sympathetic and offer you seats as near the front as they are able.
Tried that for Wet Spam. Got row G straight after tickets went on sale as away season ticket holders who requested the front row meant they got the front 6 rows!