PDA

View Full Version : Whats the biggest away support to come to Palace?

SW6er
06-12-2014, 09:57 AM
83/84 its estimated we had 12/15,000 at Selhurst?

At Chelsea Spurs bought 14,000 to us in 82 in the FA Cup, thats probably the most though the likes of Liverpool/Man Utd & Middlesbrough all bought large numbers as well.

Penstone Eagle
06-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Not sure about Selhurst, but you have more fans at Brighton for their home games.

little al
06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Not sure but Sunderland were given the whole AW once.

the drexciyan
06-12-2014, 10:51 AM
For the really big games back in the 80s the away fans were sometimes given 2/3 of the holmesdale. Dunno how many that equates to. With all the others around the ground probably 10k+.

The_Mole
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM

So were Norwich. And charlton and millwall, but not end blocks.

Man Utd when they wore their green and yellow shirts wasn't a pleasant evening, think it was the year they won the title for 1st time under Ferguson. Manc ***** everywhere :grrr:

BlazeRIP
06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Sheffield Utd few years back 7k +

little al
06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
It certainly isn't Chelsea if thats what the OP is getting at.

Mick
06-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Difficult to assess, as in the days of no segregation and pay on the day, you had no clue on how many away fans were in the ground.

Far East Eagle
06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Should be easy to find out, doesn't programme have the away support in brackets?

Heb 7:4
06-12-2014, 12:56 PM

At Chelsea Spurs bought 14,000 to us in 82 in the FA Cup, thats probably the most though the likes of Liverpool/Man Utd & Middlesbrough all bought large numbers as well.

The total attendance when we played you at Selhurst in 1983 was 13,427. In 1984 the total attendance was 20,540.

I don't think (or at least can't find) that away attendance recorded separately then

Louis
06-12-2014, 01:17 PM

The biggest away following I remember at Palace is also Spurs - I think it was the 79/80 season (our first season in the old Division 1 under Venables). I guess they brought at least 15,000 - I think the crowd was between 40,000 and 45,000

elgin eagle
06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
The biggest away following I remember at Palace is also Spurs - I think it was the 79/80 season (our first season in the old Division 1 under Venables). I guess they brought at least 15,000 - I think the crowd was between 40,000 and 45,000

Was thinking it would have been during that season. I think we had a similar crowd for the arsenal match, but then I was only 12 at the time.

Turning it on its head, aside from villa park in 1990, whats the most fans we have ever taken somewhere for a league match? Probably Hillsborough in recent times, but we must have taken more to places like orient back in the days of old.

Mick
06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Was thinking it would have been during that season. I think we had a similar crowd for the arsenal match, but then I was only 12 at the time.

Turning it on its head, aside from villa park in 1990, whats the most fans we have ever taken somewhere for a league match? Probably Hillsborough in recent times, but we must have taken more to places like orient back in the days of old.

For the 1976 cup game at Chelsea, we had a very large contingent, but as mentioned with pay on the day, impossible to really assess. You are right that we had the largest proportion of the gate at Orient in the Venables promotion season as well, but this was for a much smaller ground.

Tom's Old Man
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
1984 Chelsea brought close to 15k, the year they won the Div 2 title. They had about half the crowd in the League Cup tie as well when it pissed with rain early 90s, but I felt Man Utd had at least as many, probably more, when they beat us midweek in April, the first time they won the league with Ferguson.

Tom's Old Man
06-12-2014, 02:26 PM
For the 1976 cup game at Chelsea, we had a very large contingent, but as mentioned with pay on the day, impossible to really assess. You are right that we had the largest proportion of the gate at Orient in the Venables promotion season as well, but this was for a much smaller ground.
Crowd at Orient 78/79 was just under 20k, we had about 12 - 13k of that for sure.

Del Fenner
06-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Agree it would have been in the 79/80 season, which would have made it Spurs, who took over the Whitehorse more completely than I have ever seen. Arsenal also had a very big showing probably around 12-15K.

old git
06-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Pompey brought a lot in the late 80's when they needed a win to go up. They moved all the Palace out of the Holmesdale and into the Arthur terrace.
Interesting scenes at the end.��

thereichstuff
06-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Was that the game when a load went in the holmesdale and there was a big cloud of dust as it kicked off and the gap opened up ?

leicester1
06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
As someones already remarked...it was'nt always easy to work out away followings back in the days of pay on the gate,infiltration days....Sheff United brought a lot to Filbert Street when they were promoted in the early 90's,Chelsea have brought some very big followings back from the early 80's and of course before my days began Derby and more so Notts Forest have come in massive numbers.

As for Leicesters biggest followings,Orient in 1980 we took 10,000 plus when we won Division 2 and Charlton away at Upton Park early 90's when we were battling for promotion we took even more.....Notts Forest out of all our Midland rivals have welcomed massive away followings from us on those roofless terraces but sadly those days are gone now as we only recieved 2100 on our last visit to the City Ground..thats off the top of my head....

old git
06-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Surely it must be Brighton ?
Every time we play them half of the deluded on NSC claim to have tickets in the home ends.:D

SW6er
07-12-2014, 10:51 AM
It certainly isn't Chelsea if thats what the OP is getting at.

Nah not at all mate i just wondered as ive been looking back through some of my old progs.

SW6er
07-12-2014, 10:53 AM
The total attendance when we played you at Selhurst in 1983 was 13,427. In 1984 the total attendance was 20,540.

I don't think (or at least can't find) that away attendance recorded separately then

Yeah i meant the game in april 84, 83/84 season.

Bates put in the programme the following week that Palace had told CFC that we had 12,15,000 there that day & were well behaved.

I just wondered who else took a big following to Selhurst back in the day.

SW6er
07-12-2014, 10:56 AM
1984 Chelsea brought close to 15k, the year they won the Div 2 title. They had about half the crowd in the League Cup tie as well when it pissed with rain early 90s, but I felt Man Utd had at least as many, probably more, when they beat us midweek in April, the first time they won the league with Ferguson.

I was at both of those games, that cup tie was sickening for us as we really thought finally it was our year lol

I was in the right side of the Holmsedale near the tunnel that night think it was a mix of both fans rather than our end, though my memory aint what it used to be lol

eaglejez
07-12-2014, 11:12 AM

you had a lot at the 1982 match all over the ground. I didn't get a chance to count all the Nazi salutes but there were plenty of them

SW6er
07-12-2014, 11:22 AM
you had a lot at the 1982 match all over the ground. I didn't get a chance to count all the Nazi salutes but there were plenty of them

Par for the course back then sadly.

Selhurst Celtic
07-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Surely it must be Brighton ?
Every time we play them half of the deluded on NSC claim to have tickets in the home ends.:D

There was plenty of them in the AW at the 5-0. Which must've been nice for them.

the drexciyan
07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Yes probably Hillsborough. When we played Wimbledon and Charlton 'away' at Selhurst we never got the same as our home attendance into the ground for what was essentially an extra home fixture.

Langers
07-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Not Palace but There must have been 20k moanu fans at Selhurst V Wimbledon 8.5.1993 - Attendance was 30,115

Away Day Eagle
07-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Agree it would have been in the 79/80 season, which would have made it Spurs, who took over the Whitehorse more completely than I have ever seen. Arsenal also had a very big showing probably around 12-15K.

In addition, they both had a section of the Arthur Wait, as I recall being moved towards the Whitehorse due to segregation from where we would normally stand. Attendances were 45.3 and 42k respectively.

The recorded attendances for Liverpool (45.5k) and Moan U (52.8k), so unsurprisingly they would have had big followings as well.

Heb 7:4
07-12-2014, 12:56 PM
There was plenty of them in the AW at the 5-0. Which must've been nice for them.

Brighton fans, to be advised you will be kept behind for 30 minutes after the game for your own safety
Palace fans, the bars have been restocked and will be open immediately after the game

dim
07-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Spurs in the late 70s? - sunny day, there were loads in the arthur.

little al
07-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Brighton fans, to be advised you will be kept behind for 30 minutes after the game for your own safety
Palace fans, the bars have been restocked and will be open immediately after the game

I am not sure what is funnier, that or the Millwall player having to go look for the corner flag he threw.

eaglejez
07-12-2014, 03:44 PM
In addition, they both had a section of the Arthur Wait, as I recall being moved towards the Whitehorse due to segregation from where we would normally stand. Attendances were 45.3 and 42k respectively.

The recorded attendances for Liverpool (45.5k) and Moan U (52.8k), so unsurprisingly they would have had big followings as well.

I was in the Whitehorse for the Liverpool match and my feet literally were not on the ground for the whole match

salad fan club
07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Was that the game when a load went in the holmesdale and there was a big cloud of dust as it kicked off and the gap opened up ?

Not sure which year , maybe 1980

I was very close to it, actually it was about 20 at most and they squared up to a similar number of Palace but nothing much happened

Andrew Aitchison
08-12-2014, 01:30 PM

We took about 8k to Arsenal a couple of years in a row between 89 - 93, both games over xmas / new year I think from memory (might be wrong about that bit).

There was also the cup game against Spurs in about 87, where we had up to that amount in a crowd of about 28k.

New LP
08-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Plenty of teams have been given the whole Arthur over the years, in fact it used to be a regular thing under Noades and Jordan to when one of the big boys was in town.

The biggest 'takeover' I can remember was Man United in about 1993 when they won the league for the first time under Ferguson, it was like being in the Stretford End that night.

New LP
08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Chelsea had a lot of fans all over the ground that time we beat them 3-1 in the League cup in the rain. I remember Townsend scoring an anmnoyingly good goal and most of the main stand going up. It made the evening sweeter though once we'd got out alive!

New LP
08-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Man United had more, Chelsea was probably about 50-50 throughout the stadium. Man Utd were everywhere, I remember I lived in Purley at the time and there was literally a procession of their supporters coaches driving up the A23 before the game. Large amounts of tickets had been sent to Manchester for sale in the home ends and I knew Palace fans who missed out on a ticket.

This would never happen now in these days of everyone having a season ticket etc.

As for Palace I remember taking 6,000 to Spurs in the cup a while back, in terms of buying in to the home end Coventry the year we went up was probably the best example.

Forever Stripes
08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
In the early 70's in our first spell in the old div one, London derbies always seemed to attract between 40 and 48,000 and segregation was fairly naff in those days and were quite mixed, especially in the side stands and White Horse end. It was all standing those days and quite easy to move about. It was possible that most London clubs brought up to 10,000 in those days but impossible to tell.

I always stood in the White Horse in my Claret and blue scarf with my mates and was quite a mixed bunch of fans, for the big games. Amazing how I kept out of trouble.

Don't remember unduly large amounts of Chelsea fans since although until our latest ticketing policy always too many around the ground at derbies. To be honest Croydon has been bit of a Chelsea area for years.

IanH
08-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Chelsea had loads at the "Canonville" game in 84. They were everywhere.

In our team of the 80's season, Spurs brought loads (I think the Whitehorse held 10,500 as a two tier terrace back in the day) and they filled that and had some more in the Arthur I recall.

Re Chelsea/Spurs, I seem to remember from a Chelsea supporting mate that Spurs sent back 1,000 or so of their 7,000 allocation for a 6th round FA Cup game at the Bridge in the early 80's which prompted a major piss take by Chelsea at the game - "Who sent their tickets back .... etc." so I think that number above is wildly wrong.

Mr Bo Jangles
08-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Early seventies when the Whitehorse was terraced several crowds in the high 40,000's . Not sure what the Whitehorse held then but 90% were Chelsea when they came down, would certainly guess at between 10-12,000. It was away / neutral end back then.

LAAJ Eagle
08-12-2014, 07:58 PM
My memory is shocking and this is my first post but I am sure we played at Southend in midweek during the 90s when going for promotion and we seemed to be all over Roots Hall that night. Not sure how many though.

SW6er
08-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Chelsea had loads at the "Canonville" game in 84. They were everywhere.

In our team of the 80's season, Spurs brought loads (I think the Whitehorse held 10,500 as a two tier terrace back in the day) and they filled that and had some more in the Arthur I recall.

Re Chelsea/Spurs, I seem to remember from a Chelsea supporting mate that Spurs sent back 1,000 or so of their 7,000 allocation for a 6th round FA Cup game at the Bridge in the early 80's which prompted a major piss take by Chelsea at the game - "Who sent their tickets back .... etc." so I think that number above is wildly wrong.

Ive had this debate with so many Chelsea fans over the years regarding Spurs at sb in 82, i hate them so have no reason to praise them up but to be fair they def did have 14,000, they had the whole north terrace & some west stand seats(sts only) ive got the cutting of their 1,000 returned tickets, sure it says because their fans were scared lol!

The footage actually shows them & says 14,000 Spurs.

thereichstuff
08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
My memory is shocking and this is my first post but I am sure we played at Southend in midweek during the 90s when going for promotion and we seemed to be all over Roots Hall that night. Not sure how many though.

I remember the ladder going up to the camera tower was taken away for abit stranding the cameraman :p

Away Day Eagle
08-12-2014, 10:41 PM
There was also the cup game against Spurs in about 87, where we had up to that amount in a crowd of about 28k.

4th round. Nico Clausen got two, a Gary O'Reilly own goal and that top of the range ct, Clive Allen got the other.

Still we had beaten Forest 1-0 in the 3rd round with Alan Irvine scoring a brilliant volley at the Holmesdale.

Away attendance at WHL was 8-8.5K, with many below pitch level.

Twin of Droy
08-12-2014, 11:11 PM
How many did we take to the neutral ground games we played?

There were the two infamous matches v Brighton and Swansea, any others?

Big Gav
09-12-2014, 02:20 AM
4th round. Nico Clausen got two, a Gary O'Reilly own goal and that top of the range ct, Clive Allen got the other.

Still we had beaten Forest 1-0 in the 3rd round with Alan Irvine scoring a brilliant volley at the Holmesdale.

Away attendance at WHL was 8-8.5K, with many below pitch level.

Couldn't move on that terrace at Spurs that day, was so packed

Andrew Aitchison
09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Too right. Dangerous levels of crushing until the Old Bill finally opened up another pen.

old git
09-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Brighton,the crowd was around 14k and we probably had half with Brighton and neutrals making up the rest.At the swansea game we probably had around a thousand.Plenty of cardiff there to support us.

cantspell
09-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Sheff Weds brought about 7k down one year

SJ'sLoveMonkey
09-12-2014, 09:22 PM

That game and the QPR quarter-final were the two most dangerous games regarding overcrowding. How no Palace fans got hurt at The QPR game baffles me

big bad John
15-12-2014, 06:51 PM

Second replay v Sheff Wed at Villa Park in 73. Supposedly we took 2,000 but it looked more like a thousand. Pouring with rain with 14,000 Wednesdaynites in the 20,000 crowd. Amazing support from Sheffield that night which was surprizing as they only had a scattering of fans in the first replay at Selhurst. For years afterwards they sang to us "Where were you at Villa Park?"

Norvun Mankey
16-12-2014, 12:11 AM

52,800? At Selhurst? Where had this record attendance figure been hiding?

Away Day Eagle
16-12-2014, 09:25 AM
52,800? At Selhurst? Where had this record attendance figure been hiding?

I did think that but the figure is from the excellent 'Crystal Palace - The Complete Record'.

cantspell
16-12-2014, 11:13 AM
That game and the QPR quarter-final were the two most dangerous games regarding overcrowding. How no Palace fans got hurt at The QPR game baffles me
Yes - QPR game by far the worst - remember being crushed at one stage and took a strategic decision to get to the corner flag - the bar area before the game was an experience that will always stay with me

Laboureagle
16-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Chelsea did bring a lot for the 1993 league cup tie, it seemed to a tradition from their fans to come to selhurst at the time , the must have had about 12,000. Palace had more-but only just-crowd was just under 29,000. One of the great atmosphers at selhurst, as both sets of fans sund themselves hoarse. (Particularly my family, as my cousin, Grant Watts, scored for us that night). They also bought a lot in 1991 league game, 2-1 to us.
United had half the crowd when they won the league under Ferguson, so about 15,000.

Biggest Palace following I've been in, QPR away 1982, or Arsenal away early 90's both about 8,000.

Del Fenner
16-12-2014, 01:32 PM
I did think that but the figure is from the excellent 'Crystal Palace - The Complete Record'.

A typo? More like 42,800 surely.

elgin eagle
16-12-2014, 01:54 PM

The Completely Inaccurate Record then :)

Probably just a typo. So whats the general concensus then? Arsenal or Spurs late seventies, but definitely not Chelsea or the wankers.

rowaneagle
17-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Too right. Dangerous levels of crushing until the Old Bill finally opened up another pen.

Packed in literally like sardines that day,couldn't move my arms.imagine if we'd scored...

New LP
18-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Yes - QPR game by far the worst - remember being crushed at one stage and took a strategic decision to get to the corner flag - the bar area before the game was an experience that will always stay with me

Another bad one was West Ham away in 1992 when we won 2-0. The Palace support was nothing out of the ordinary, maybe about 3,000. But they packed us into one little compound in the corner, my feet where literally off the ground for most of the second half.

New LP
18-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Chelsea did bring a lot for the 1993 league cup tie, it seemed to a tradition from their fans to come to selhurst at the time , the must have had about 12,000. Palace had more-but only just-crowd was just under 29,000. One of the great atmosphers at selhurst, as both sets of fans sund themselves hoarse. (Particularly my family, as my cousin, Grant Watts, scored for us that night). They also bought a lot in 1991 league game, 2-1 to us.

United had half the crowd when they won the league under Ferguson, so about 15,000.

Biggest Palace following I've been in, QPR away 1982, or Arsenal away early 90's both about 8,000.

United had more than half the crowd that day I would say the had about 70% of the tickets. Uncle Ron sending large numbers of tickets in home sections up to Manchester didn't help.