PDA

View Full Version : Modern day away support

SW6er
23-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Is it justified to slate an away support for taking small numbers to an away game in the PL now what with ticket costs, Sky & crap kick off times/days.

This got me thinking after me & some mates were chatting about the 2/300 odd QPR who went to Everton last monday night.

Imo Monday night game up in the north west at Everton, live on Sky just before xmas i think its hard to slate anyone who didnt or couldnt go, saying that they should have taken more than they did.

Wigan bought about 150 to us a few years ago Monday night game live on Sky, 48 a ticket how could we slate their fans? they are the Wimbledon of the north, ex non league club, competing for fans in an area dominated by rugby.

I think its also difficult to praise up the top 4/6 PL clubs for selling out away games even like last night at Stoke, Chelsea sold out, vocally had good support but numbers wise we should be selling out, if a club cant sell out when their top of the PL then something would be wrong.

Its like my mate said the thing with QPR at Everton is if they were top of the league all their fans would no doubt find the money & time to go so that cant just be an excuse, facts are they hadnt won away all season which more than likely played a part in their small turn out.

Thoughts?

Payney
23-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Some teams do seem to have very small followings away from home, Fulham and Charlton both seem to be badly supported on the road considering their home crowds. QPR similar but not quite as bad. Wigan have always been a small club punching above their weight in recent years.

Personally I have refused to pay more then 45 for an away ticket since we returned to the premiership. Just think any more than 45 is too much.

Penstone Eagle
23-12-2014, 12:31 PM
It'd only ever be fans of clubs like Chelsea and Man U that mocked low away numbers, they spend most of their time sneering and looking down at other clubs fans. They buy titles and cups most seasons and with that come arrogance.

anti-addick
23-12-2014, 01:10 PM
And they have local support in numbers in every part of the country, or world....

SW6er
23-12-2014, 02:27 PM
It'd only ever be fans of clubs like Chelsea and Man U that mocked low away numbers, they spend most of their time sneering and looking down at other clubs fans. They buy titles and cups most seasons and with that come arrogance.

Think your way of the mark there to be honest, so Palace fans have never sung "is that all you take away" to some small northern clubs fans?

I dont mean slate fans during the game thats what being a fan is all about, to give the opposite fans grief during the 90 mins.

I mean digging fans out in person or on social media for a low away support, when most of us struggle to watch our teams due to the cost of football now days.

leicester1
23-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I think a lot of fans whether in the Premier or other Divisions are just spending money on family or other things .......your pounds are not going as far as they used to....winning matches or losing matches on a regular basis might have a baring on it but for me its hard to justify around 100 quid on an away day when i can take my mrs out twice,or save that amount each month for 2 holidays abroad a year which is what i intend to do in 2015....no use slagging off an away crowd as the ones that turn up deserve some credit for travelling,especially if their teams not up to much....fairplay to the 300 odd Qpr....

Dorking .Eagle
23-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Its up to every individual person if they can or want to go to a game. It certainly is hard to motivate yourself sometimes when Sky/BT have mucked about with the day and time of the game, and then on top of that it is 40+, sometimes for not a great position in the ground. Then the petrol on top and a hot meal, more often than not at some cheap takeaway. Thank god the price of petrol has come down lately, but still it costs way too much.

What keeps you coming back, even when results tell you otherwise, and seemingly everything is being done to deter you from bothering is that it 'might' just be that great game- when you beat the team that is top of the league, or come back from 3-0 down to snatch an unthinkable result.

It's just as massive to me to see Palace get that magical 40th point as it no doubt is for Chelsea fans to win the Premier League.

At Man City last weekend, despite them winning 7 in a row, their win over us was as meaningful to them as England 'fans' watching another win over San Marino or Kazkhstan. All but one block of their home support seemed to be bored stiff. I would have loved it if we'd have got something up there.

The reality of following a team at the bottom end of the Premier League is that you can easily spend hundreds of pounds between away wins (and a lot more if you buy more than one ticket per game!). Anyone that has the loyalty and dedication to persist with unstinting support (even if it is only a few hundred at some clubs) under such realities should be applauded, not derided.

old git
23-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Bloody chelsea fans celebrating.:D

Londoner
23-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Haha getting all big about away support eh?

You have a short memory fella. YOU TOOK ABOUT 50 FANS TO HARTLEPOOL FOR A 3RD FA CUP GAME ON A SATURDAY YES SATURDAY AND NOT MIDWEEK OR AN USUAL KICK OFF TIME.

You really shouldn't start threads about attendances. It's not something Palace are known for.

old git
23-12-2014, 08:41 PM

You have a short memory fella. YOU TOOK ABOUT 50 FANS TO HARTLEPOOL FOR A 3RD FA CUP GAME ON A SATURDAY YES SATURDAY AND NOT MIDWEEK OR AN USUAL KICK OFF TIME.

You really shouldn't start threads about attendances. It's not something Palace are known for.

He is a chelsea fan you donut.As for hartlepool there was over 600 there.

Londoner
23-12-2014, 08:42 PM
He is a chelsea fan you donut.As for hartlepool there was over 600 there.

Not when they knocked you out 1-0 by a pen there wasn't

old git
23-12-2014, 08:43 PM

There was.

Joe85
The attendance at the play off semi final 2nd leg was special, I'll give you that.

Well up until the 69th minute, anyway.

That's something you lot are definitely "known for"

Londoner
And here comes Joe90 with his wit

Heb 7:4
23-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Londoner is, like many Brighton, probably primarily a Chelsea fan himself.

Embarrassing bunch of plastics these days at the Amex

old git
23-12-2014, 08:45 PM
The attendance at the play off semi final 2nd leg was special, I'll give you that.

That's something you lot are definitely "known for"
Bit harsh.
The are also known for drinking in pubs in anerley and Clapham when playing palace

old git
23-12-2014, 08:46 PM
And smashing up florists ,plastic seats and door mirrors.

Joe85
23-12-2014, 08:49 PM
And ill conceived pre-victory celebration Opera singers.

Del Fenner
23-12-2014, 09:02 PM

Chelsea AND Palace on the brain. :clown:

LONDONMAN
23-12-2014, 09:09 PM

A. The game should have been postponed because the pitch was totally frostbound

B. Closer to 1,000 Palace fans than 60 went to that game.

C. It was never a penalty, but the bastard called Dermot Gallagher gave it.

D. Brighton, at the time, were losing to clubs like Kingstonian.

E. You are a total arsehole.

Tom's Old Man
23-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes there was, all day long. I was there.

Dorking .Eagle
23-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I was there too, coldest game ever (really, REALLY freezing). Definitely more than 500 there. And we'd had an away game away at Middlesbrough (Ayresome Park) only about 3 or 4 days beforehand, which our lot also went to - the infamous kitchen sink game, (where Boro threw the kitchen sink at us, we had one long range shot, and won 1-0!!! At Hartlepool, Ginger (the Palace copper) followed our minibus full of fans around the most freezing shopping centre before the game, when we were just a group of mostly family fans and were looking for a shop to stay warm in! We even got ice on the INSIDE of the minibus windows!

And the pies had no meat whatsoever in them, fecking monkey hangers !!!

PeterH
23-12-2014, 09:55 PM
And here comes Joe90 with his wit

Can you talk us through the official attendance vs reality at the recent Brighton vs Millwall game.

I heard that despite there being no need for the fire drill, the obedient Brighton fans (with santa in tow) complied anyway.

New LP
23-12-2014, 10:24 PM
So there were a lot more at the Hartlepool game than Londoner lied that there were? There's a surprise.

SW6er
24-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Its up to every individual person if they can or want to go to a game. It certainly is hard to motivate yourself sometimes when Sky/BT have mucked about with the day and time of the game, and then on top of that it is 40+, sometimes for not a great position in the ground. Then the petrol on top and a hot meal, more often than not at some cheap takeaway. Thank god the price of petrol has come down lately, but still it costs way too much.

What keeps you coming back, even when results tell you otherwise, and seemingly everything is being done to deter you from bothering is that it 'might' just be that great game- when you beat the team that is top of the league, or come back from 3-0 down to snatch an unthinkable result.

It's just as massive to me to see Palace get that magical 40th point as it no doubt is for Chelsea fans to win the Premier League.

At Man City last weekend, despite them winning 7 in a row, their win over us was as meaningful to them as England 'fans' watching another win over San Marino or Kazkhstan. All but one block of their home support seemed to be bored stiff. I would have loved it if we'd have got something up there.

The reality of following a team at the bottom end of the Premier League is that you can easily spend hundreds of pounds between away wins (and a lot more if you buy more than one ticket per game!). Anyone that has the loyalty and dedication to persist with unstinting support (even if it is only a few hundred at some clubs) under such realities should be applauded, not derided.

Thats a great point i'd never really thought of it like that before, the likes of Stoke for example who are now established in the PL, when they first came up they'd bring 3,000 now we're lucky to see 1,500 of them, you could think the novelty had worn off but your point has got me thinking maybe its more than just that.

:p

SW6er
24-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Bloody chelsea fans celebrating.:D

That really pisses me off mate, thats the 2nd letter ive seen this week saying the same thing, yet we get slaughtered for a crap atmosphere by Jose & away fans(rightly so) but thats what we're up against, who wants to risk a 1,000 st by losing it for f@ck all.

:(

Dorking .Eagle
24-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Take last season for example. We like to look back on it with rose tinted spectacles, and remember our 11th place finish, the 5 consecutive wins in the Spring, and the dogged and resolute defending of leads under master tactician Tony Pulis.

However, the reality was that we didn't win an away game from the start of the season in August until our first away win, a last minute 1-0 on Boxing Day at Villa.

Many fans stuck with it on the basis that it was out first season in the top flight for 9 years, and if they didn't go, with us looking likely for relegation until Christmas, then it could be another 9 years before they got another chance to see Palace at many of the Prem grounds.

Had last season been our 9th consecutive season like it is for Stoke, rather than our first for many years, then the reality of 40 quid away tickets (and likely defeat) at most away games would certainly test the loyalty of many regular away fans.

Palace don't have a neverending supply of fans queuing up for away tickets - 3,000 is about enough for most games bar maybe London away derby games.

SW6er
24-12-2014, 10:44 AM

I'm Chelsea not Palace & no one on here is "getting all big about away support"

There's no way Palace would have only had 50 at Hartlepool, its irrelevant to me but i just cant see Palace not having 100s there(away allocation is less than a 1,000 at Hartlepool now) i'm sure it would have been the same back then.

Ninjas Headband
24-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Take last season for example. We like to look back on it with rose tinted spectacles, and remember our 11th place finish, the 5 consecutive wins in the Spring, and the dogged and resolute defending of leads under master tactician Tony Pulis.

However, the reality was that we didn't win an away game from the start of the season in August until our first away win, a last minute 1-0 on Boxing Day at Villa.

Many fans stuck with it on the basis that it was out first season in the top flight for 9 years, and if they didn't go, with us looking likely for relegation until Christmas, then it could be another 9 years before they got another chance to see Palace at many of the Prem grounds.

Had last season been our 9th consecutive season like it is for Stoke, rather than our first for many years, then the reality of 40 quid away tickets (and likely defeat) at most away games would certainly test the loyalty of many regular away fans.

Palace don't have a neverending supply of fans queuing up for away tickets - 3,000 is about enough for most games bar maybe London away derby games.

*cough, Hull, cough!

Ninjas Headband
24-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm Chelsea not Palace & no one on here is "getting all big about away support"

There's no way Palace would have only had 50 at Hartlepool, its irrelevant to me but i just cant see Palace not having 100s there(away allocation is less than a 1,000 at Hartlepool now) i'm sure it would have been the same back then.

Best ignore him SW. He's one of those weird characters who crave attention from strangers that he'll never meet.