PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Nostalgia

ElwissAtMemphis
23-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Southampton vs Crystal Palace:

Tie between Saints and Palace stirs memories of a very different era. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/southampton-vs-crystal-palace-tie-between-saints-and-palace-stirs-memories-of-a-very-different-era-9999708.html)

Interesting article. We were on holiday so I missed this infamous match. I had long laboured under the misapprehension that Southampton's goals were relatively early and that they then ran down the clock with their dirty negativity but we were still in it with 10 minutes to go. And they won the bloody thing in the end too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/independent.co.uk/assets/images/MoreFootball280x158.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/migration_catalog/article5254954.ece/alternates/w460/4-allison-getty.jpeg

Jack Regan
23-01-2015, 09:37 PM
That's almost exactly what Mick Channon said after the match... "It's alright saying we beat Palace, but we've got to go and win the bloody thing now".

Which of course they did.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Tie between Saints and Palace stirs memories of a very different era. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/southampton-vs-crystal-palace-tie-between-saints-and-palace-stirs-memories-of-a-very-different-era-9999708.html)

Interesting article. We were on holiday so I missed this infamous match. I had long laboured under the misapprehension that Southampton's goals were relatively early and then they ran down the clock with their dirty negativity but we were still in it with 10 minutes to go. And they bloody won the thing too. I don't remember that weird scaffolding/stand structure that was randomly plonked on the away terracing opposite The Shed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9999642.ece/alternates/w620/Saints-Palace.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/migration_catalog/article5254954.ece/alternates/w460/4-allison-getty.jpeg

Vintage Eagle
23-01-2015, 10:05 PM
:( Such a disappointing day after the previous round. Left the Melbourne and train windows smashed before we got to Waddon, police awaiting at West Croydon. Down hill from there. Only a few beers afterward made the day. Such is football.

gcwhite
23-01-2015, 11:06 PM
April 3 1976. My 25th birthday. :sob:

burgess hill 84
23-01-2015, 11:08 PM
:( Such a disappointing day after the previous round. Left the Melbourne and train windows smashed before we got to Waddon, police awaiting at West Croydon. Down hill from there. Only a few beers afterward made the day. Such is football.

Well that sounds like you own fault .:rolleyes

CPFC Since 68
23-01-2015, 11:47 PM
What a year that was just a mere 17 year old then, Went to every tie bar Scarborough . Leeds and Chelsea were mental..Silencing the roker roar just epic.. But still remember that gut wrenching feeling at the end of the semi..

Old Joe Paxton
23-01-2015, 11:53 PM
I was there. I was 9. With my dad, cousin and mate. Remember it being packed. Remember blubbering when we lost and even thence realising it being a disappointing performance

Breaking rocks
24-01-2015, 12:08 AM
My late father won us two tickets in an Evening Standard photo caption competition.

It helped the healing process between us following the near death experience he created by deciding the best place for us to watch the 5th round tie v Chelsea was the Shed.

Danger Mouse
24-01-2015, 12:13 AM
I was only 10 and was listening to the match updates on the radio. The commentator said that Palace had won a penalty. I couldn't believe it. He then proceeded telling us how the penalty had been won and I didn't recognise the players names. It was of course a penalty to Southampton. I went from elation to despair in a few seconds. I'll never forget that.

BB Bob
24-01-2015, 12:23 AM
David "f@*@*ing" Peach is my memory.....

big bad John
24-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Good read although a few paragraphs in he categorizes Whittle as an international. Should have named Evan's instead. The biggest anti-climax I ever felt as a Palace fan.

Hedgehog
24-01-2015, 02:34 AM
I was 20 I guess. Only time I have sat on a terrace for 30 minutes after a game "close" to tears (but I didn't - trust me).

Just knew in my heart I would never see Palace play at Wembley after that - and I haven't. Obviously the club have played there, but I have not been there - I didn't know that at the time.

Back then the FA Cup was for real... this was a big deal. I had been to every game from Round 1... the stars had aligned - it was destiny, but it all felt wrong on the day.

BTW - is not that Big Mal picture above from the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge? I'm pretty sure he didn't do that for the Southampton game.

Nth Kent Eagle
24-01-2015, 07:24 AM

Interesting article. We were on holiday so I missed this infamous match. I had long laboured under the misapprehension that Southampton's goals were relatively early and then they ran down the clock with their dirty negativity but we were still in it with 10 minutes to go. And they bloody won the thing too. I don't remember that weird scaffolding/stand structure that was randomly plonked on the away terracing opposite The Shed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9999642.ece/alternates/w620/Saints-Palace.jpg

I'm sure the scaffolding was also there at the Brighton second replay a year later.

Vintage Eagle
24-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Well that sounds like you own fault .:rolleyes
I wasn't breaking any windows, just sat there amazed.

barnabas
24-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Go on, relive the pain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubILvXF-bA

Biggineagle
24-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Southampton yellows would be reds these days.

ian king
24-01-2015, 10:02 AM
I was 20 I guess. Only time I have sat on a terrace for 30 minutes after a game "close" to tears (but I didn't - trust me).

Just knew in my heart I would never see Palace play at Wembley after that - .

I was 24 and in a similar state so my girlfriend (now wife) tried to console me by saying there would be another time but I said it was Palace and there wouldn't!!

Nigelbrag
24-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Oh what wonderful memories of the previous rounds, starting with travelling to see the minnows (Scarborough) to the giants (Leeds) along the way, and then to that day of such expectancy. Where strangely we were favourites to win, but the animals of Southampton kicked us off the park as part of their "game plan" with special attention directed at the truly superb Peter Taylor, who for his performances that season alone, will always be in the memory of all Palace fans and remain a playing legend.
Such a sad ending that day to what was a wonderful journey along the way, 1976 will always remain in the memory.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
24-01-2015, 10:41 AM
God I remember that day. Started off at Penge East , fedoras on. One of our group said that the pub at the back The Railway? was open and we had half an hour to kill. So we decided on an early livener. Half way across the car par; that was at the back of the station then (is it still there?) everyone else on the station realised what we were doing and deided it was a good idea. This resulted in about 20 blokes all racing to get to the pub first.

At Chelsea we ended up in a pub who's name I don't remember , all I do remember was that we were in one side and a load of Southampton were in the other, there was no trouble. In the ground I was supremely confident and told my good mate Pat '' We're gonna do this''. which of course after they kicked the crap out of Taylor we didn't. So back to the pub. We ended up in the Bricklayers Arms in Sydenham where in tears I gave away my Fedora as ''We're never going to get to Wembley'' The rest is a bit of a blur. I know I was supposed to go to a party that night. I obviously never made it as when I woke up the following morning the front door was wide open with the dog sitting there looking at a Party 7 beer can sitting in the middle of the doorstep.

My mate Pat got thrown out of the Crown at Lee for chanting Eagles to many times. And his brother Kev enede up in Lewisham Casualty when in a pissed state he decided to feed the dog and slashed his hand opening a tin of Pedigree Chum. Happy Days,

Of course I did get to Wembley but had to fly from ******* Australia to do it.

Suffolk Eagle
24-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Great day out, great atmosphere, only had one bit of bother with 200 saints supporters!! but turned out OK. If only Martin Hinshelwood hadn't had his terrible injury, we didn't realise just how good he was until he was missing, unfortunately Paul not quite the same calibre

David of Kent
24-01-2015, 11:16 AM
So Jim Cannon was left wing back in that formation according to the article. I didn't start watching until I was 10 in 1979, but it's hard to imagine that

OldPeanutSeller
24-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Great article. Brings back great memories although the day itself was an anticlimax. I still remember the draw praying that we got The anti-Christ XI. Mal would have plotted their downfall to precision. I was always apprehensive of playing the Saints - apart from the 1st 3 rounds it was the only game where we were not considered the underdog.

Nagyon NBL
24-01-2015, 11:32 AM
A v interesting thread. Terribly disappointing day : we froze a little and Saints kicked us around ( Osgood stamp for example). During that period they really were a dirty side. Peach on Vince in a home game was just disgusting. We never seemed to beat them during that period. The only game i remember was a mid week match when we beat them 3-2 with a very good Flanagan free-kick. These days we have had slightly better fortunes:but i am not confident today simply because of whom we are playing. Sorry i can't put "dates on" but memory a bit murky these days! Really hope we can do it today : i love a good cup run. EEEEEEEEEEEEagles

howard
24-01-2015, 11:40 AM
I was only 3 or 4 months into walking with an atrificial leg, after my bike accident. My Dad dropped myself & Mum off as close to the ground as he could but, it was still a long old walk, could even have been south of the river. By the time we arrived, I was telling Mum that this was not going to be our day, there was just something about the atmosphere.

As soon as the saints made sure Peter taylor would have little effect on the game, that really confirmed my thoughts. I'm usually not affected that much by Palace results, I go to the game, enjoy it, then go home but, after that bloody painful walk back to find Dad, I think it was clear that no one should say anything, just by the look on my face.

Luckily, I have seen Palace at Wembley, old & new, in play off finals.

cpfc4evandeva
24-01-2015, 12:00 PM
How anyone can think football is a better game now I don't know. There is such a regimented feudal system in place today that it's wank. This will never come back :(

First Division players then were thought to get about twice that of a third division pro, now it is nearer 20 times. With appearance money and win bonuses a lower division regular could out-earn a top flight reserve - especially as only one substitute was allowed and squad rotation unknown. As Richard Money, Cambridge United’s manager, said in The Independent yesterday when explaining why he left Liverpool for Luton Town in 1982, ‘salaries were not colossal and playing was the major part of the mindset’.
This relative wage parity reflected club incomes. Broadcast revenues were small with only the FA Cup final and some internationals live. Shirt sponsorship, corporate boxes and other earners were still in the future. Gate money was the main income and clubs had to split this with the away team. It made for a more even game: in ten seasons to 1976 seven different clubs won the title, a dozen made the top three. In the last ten seasons three shared the title, five finished in the top three.

kabbott
24-01-2015, 01:23 PM
I've never seen so many grown men crying at a football match. :(
Even though we were the 3rd division side, I'm pretty sure we were the favourites to go through.
At the time Big Mal was blamed for not taking the home changing rooms.
That day was such an anti-climax after one of the best days ever a few months earlier at the Bridge!

strolling bones
24-01-2015, 01:49 PM
I've never seen so many grown men crying at a football match. :(
Even though we were the 3rd division side, I'm pretty sure we were the favourites to go through.
At the time Big Mal was blamed for not taking the home changing rooms.
That day was such an anti-climax after one of the best days ever a few months earlier at the Bridge!

My first real experience of heartbreak as a 16 yr old Palace fan . Lasted a week or so and cost me my girlfriend because she couldn't understand why a sport could affect someone so badly.. ironic that she ended up marrying a pro cricketer who never won a thing in his entire career . My father took it worse than me, it was the biggest game in our history up to that point, and he had waited all his life for palace to arrive on a big stage. He was absolutely devastated, so much so that he told me that the first southanpton fan he saw gloating about it would get a severe slap.. He was biting his lip all the way back to Victoria that day . :(

BERT'S HEAD
24-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Been mentioned before but we were doomed once Romark put his curse on us.

CP Satellite
25-01-2015, 11:58 AM
The 1976 Semi Final is still my most painful memory watching Palace, despite the numerous heartbreaks in the 39 yeras since.

That match was just six days before my 13th birthday and I saw all the previous rounds, apart from our trip to Scarborough in the 3rd Round.

We got past Walton & Hersham at home very easily (almost like home version of our Dover win this season) - then beat Millwall after drawing 1-1 at the old Den. We played Millwall again in the League on the Saturday afterwards - three Palace v Millwall matches in a week! I got thumped at the League game and learnt a valuable life lesson, i.e.: don't wear a red and blue scarf in the home end at Millwall.

The wins over Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland, in rounds 4, 5 and 6 are still amongst the graetest performances of any Palace season. Leeds was my first long trip to watch Palace, what an introduction! in the 70's, places such as the Den, Elland Road and Stamford Bridge were amongst the dodgiest for trouble in the country - so there are many tales of Palace's fans involved in bother and that was all in my first proper season watching Palace!

So losing to Southampton was a huge anti-climax. One game from Wembley and the draw, which had Man Utd v Derby in the other tie (Derby were one of the top teams in the country too back then) so we were more confident than we had been since that opening round with Walton & Hersham!

I've hated Southampton ever since that day. It made it worse when I learnt more recently that one of the Southampton players that day, Mel Blyth, who was a former Palace hero too, told their Captain, Peter Rodrigues who the main Palace man was, so Rodrigues went and kicked Taylor out of the game in the first five minutes.

It could have been one of Palace's greatest days, but was flat from the start. Somehow, all the Southampton support was in the home ends at Chelsea, i.e. the Shed and East Stand - and although Palace had a good 25,000 fans at the game, the team never got going, the injury to Taylor saw to that.

As I thought, Southampton had the cheek to hark on about the game in yesterday's programme (they actually reproduced a version of the Semi-Final programme from 1976!) and there were various stories, including another one of Mel Blyth taking the piss out of Macolm Allison.

So the win yesterday felt very sweet, but possibly 39 years too late for some of us!

Nth Kent Eagle
25-01-2015, 01:46 PM
God I remember that day. Started off at Penge East , fedoras on. One of our group said that the pub at the back The Railway? was open and we had half an hour to kill. So we decided on an early livener. Half way across the car par; that was at the back of the station then (is it still there?) everyone else on the station realised what we were doing and deided it was a good idea. This resulted in about 20 blokes all racing to get to the pub first.

At Chelsea we ended up in a pub who's name I don't remember , all I do remember was that we were in one side and a load of Southampton were in the other, there was no trouble. In the ground I was supremely confident and told my good mate Pat '' We're gonna do this''. which of course after they kicked the crap out of Taylor we didn't. So back to the pub. We ended up in the Bricklayers Arms in Sydenham where in tears I gave away my Fedora as ''We're never going to get to Wembley'' The rest is a bit of a blur. I know I was supposed to go to a party that night. I obviously never made it as when I woke up the following morning the front door was wide open with the dog sitting there looking at a Party 7 beer can sitting in the middle of the doorstep.

My mate Pat got thrown out of the Crown at Lee for chanting Eagles to many times. And his brother Kev enede up in Lewisham Casualty when in a pissed state he decided to feed the dog and slashed his hand opening a tin of Pedigree Chum. Happy Days,

Of course I did get to Wembley but had to fly from ******* Australia to do it.
Yes the car park is still there. I think the pub is called the Park Tavern now.

big bad John
25-01-2015, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=howard;12196414. By the time we arrived, I was telling Mum that this was not going to be our day, there was just something about the atmosphere.

[/QUOTE] So many people have said this and I felt exactly the same. To me it just didn't feel like the semi-final of the F.A Cup should have felt. The sun was getting in some early practice for what was to be our hottest summer in history. After the dreary side streets of Millwall, the cold winds of Scarboro and the dark, dangerous alley ways of Leeds and Sunderland it just didn't feel right.
Semi finals belonged at grounds like Villa, Maine Road or Hillsboro, where your trip up the motorway, with the help of a few Party Seven's would get you in the mood. Travelling on the 49 bus or the District line for half an hour just wasn't the sort of pre-match prep we had become accustomed to.
No it was a day for cricket, not F.A Cup semi finals, a day for short sleeves not sheepskins and unfortunately it was a day for those dirty bastards from Hampshire not us.

BERT'S HEAD
25-01-2015, 03:43 PM
So many people have said this and I felt exactly the same. To me it just didn't feel like the semi-final of the F.A Cup should have felt. The sun was getting in some early practice for what was to be our hottest summer in history. After the dreary side streets of Millwall, the cold winds of Scarboro and the dark, dangerous alley ways of Leeds and Sunderland it just didn't feel right.
Semi finals belonged at grounds like Villa, Maine Road or Hillsboro, where your trip up the motorway, with the help of a few Party Seven's would get you in the mood. Travelling on the 49 bus or the District line for half an hour just wasn't the sort of pre-match prep we had become accustomed to.
No it was a day for cricket, not F.A Cup semi finals, a day for short sleeves not sheepskins and unfortunately it was a day for those dirty bastards from Hampshire not us.

Agree with all of this and they easily outsung us even before they went ahead, thanks partly to them getting the Shed end....was bound to end in tears.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
25-01-2015, 09:57 PM
The only bright spot that day was I backed Rag Trade which won the Grand National,

petertaylor11
26-01-2015, 03:01 AM
Still hate Southampton to this day. Taylor and others kicked around the pitch.
Been to Chelsea and Scarborough previously.
I remember waiting at East Croydon before the game and we were just too cocky. Just felt this was going to end badly.

Palace Dan
26-01-2015, 03:26 AM
Was my first ever Palace game. I am a glory hunter since I was brought up in yokel Berkshire and introduced to Palace by my now lifelong friend from SE25. My mum was born and brought up in southampton so I am still very mixed up over this game and playing Saints. However since I have lived 10 miles from Saints for the last 14 years. GREAT RESULT.......even if I am on hols in Jamaica!

Chocky
27-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Having only supported Palace since early that season, my first game being the first round of that cup run, it was the first of many many times I would be gutted and upset supporting this club. I suppose I had to get used to it or piss off and support some other team my mates did at school. F*ck them. The Brighton games the year after cemented me for life if it wasn't already which it probably was.

Southampton's only game plan was to knacker Taylor which they did early on.

Hal Low
02-02-2015, 09:48 PM
BTW - is not that Big Mal picture above from the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge? I'm pretty sure he didn't do that for the Southampton game.

It is a picture from the Chelsea game. Big Mal did the same at Sunderland and Leeds but was banned by the FA from doing so at the semi.

There is no doubt that had he not been prevented from doing so we would have won the semi. It's impossible to explain why. You had to be there to understand it

La Bombonera
03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Was at the Chelsea game with my Dad, brother and his mate. Behind the goal at Stamford Bridge watching hand-to-hand combat between the Palace and Chelsea fans, scary but also fascinating for an 8yr old kid to witness. What stands out for me now is that my Dad drove to the game and managed to park in a residential street about 2 minutes walk from the ground. How would that be possible now?!!

He never bought me a ticket for the semi-final though, just my brother, I listened to it on the radio at my Uncle’s place in Muswell Hill. That defeat sort of burst the Big-Mal bubble in our house, it was never the same thereafter :( :p

casinocolin
03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
There is no doubt that had he not been prevented from doing so we would have won the semi. It's impossible to explain why. You had to be there to understand it[/QUOTE]

Yes I know what you mean, I believed that also, what great times, I went to every game. Me and my mate was was on camera at Scarborough for MOD, at the front of the crowd when we had a corner, seem to remember my mate went sick at work the previous day. The Sunderland game was watched in silence and we could not celebrate Whittles goal as we were surrounded by Sunderland fans and a very uncomfortable moment at the end of the Leeds game as we were leaving the terraces hundreds of Leeds fans came running up the tunnel baying for our blood. God, we did not just beat Leeds we completely outplayed them and should of won by more Taylor was world class that day I believe the performance has only been matched by Bradford's 4-2 win at Chelsea this year, that was how good it was. Southampton game a major disappointment my worst ever Palace game but as many have already said they put Taylor out of the game early, and we were only able to create one chance for Swindlehurst, a header that was only just over the bar if only that would of gone in just maybe we would of won :sob:

excaterhameagle
05-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Have great memories of that cup run went to every game that season,Went to Scarborough they all run on the pitch at the end towards us when they got closer realized average age was about 14 .For the semi final i took ages to make a Mal`s red and blue army banner about 15ft x 6 stapled it onto 2 big pole only to get to the ground and told have to take it off poles for safety reasons. Got into ground after ripping off poles to see Saints fans up the shed end all banners on poles never liked them after that (Or before really)

Chocky
06-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Our away kit at Scarborough was shit, plain white with a badge sewn on in the middle of the shirt. Well done Big Mal for changing it for the Chelsea game. History made with our sash albeit nicked from Man City.