PDA

View Full Version : John Fashanu.

Beneaglee
07-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Wikipedia claims that he had a brief loan spell here? Can anyone confirm that?

Breaking rocks
07-02-2015, 02:41 PM
1983 2 appearances

bubbs11
07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Yes. Saw him play in a couple of friendlies too. Mullery didn't keep him on and I believe he ended up at Lincoln.

Remember getting his autograph just outside the players entrance at Selhurst before one of his few appearances for us. He was chatting to someone and a 10 year old Bubbs11 went running over to him. He stopped talking, turned right round as I approached him, got down on his haunches with arms outstretched and said, 'Hello little fella'. Signed his name and was very friendly.

Was well chuffed and have to say, the best reaction as a kid I had from a professional.

Odds Against
07-02-2015, 06:46 PM
I remember a league cup defeat at Peterborough, which I think he played in. Terrible game that was!

David of Kent
07-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes, he was shocking, but to fair the whole team was at that time

ElwissAtMemphis
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
TWO APPEARANCES
Sun,11-Sep-1983; D2; H; Fulham; D,1-1
Wed,14-Sep-1983; LC1ii; A; Peterborough United; L,0-3

He was on loan from Norwich City, apparently only for 4 days. The Peterborough match was an infamous capitulation. We led 3-0 from the home leg and contrived to lose 0-3 against a team 2 leagues below us in what was called 'The 4th Division' in those days. We then went out 2-4 on penalties in what was possibly the first ever penalty shoot-out in a Palace 1st Team fixture. Can anybody confirm?

Furthermore, does anybody recall whether Fashanu took any of the kicks? Supposed hard men like him are notorious for losing their bottle when the pressure of a shoot-out looms. I remember Ince and some other self-styled guvnors going AWOL for England when the heat was on.

David of Kent
07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Supposed hard men like him are notorious for losing their bottle when the pressure of a shoot-out looms. I remember Ince and some other self-styled guvnors going AWOL for England when the heat was on.

That's what I thought in '96 as he allowed Southgate to walk in ahead of him whilst he sat with his back to the penalties and "guv'nor" written on his boots.

Then I saw his penalty in '98 against Argentina :clown:

Timbo
07-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I remember Fashanu playing. I think we had Chris Whyte for a while round about the same time as well?

david sylvian
07-02-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw him play in that home game against Fulham

David of Kent
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I remember Fashanu playing. I think we had Chris Whyte for a while round about the same time as well?

No Whyte was the next season when Coppell arrived. Fash was under Mullery

Super Mabbutt
07-02-2015, 07:28 PM

That was a bit later (84-85?) On loan from Arsenal for a dozen game. If I remember rightly, there was a shoplifting story involving him.

(And I was at the Fulham game Fashanu played in)

Timbo
07-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Ok re Whyte, thx, remember his time more than Fash

ian king
08-02-2015, 12:34 PM
TWO APPEARANCES
Sun,11-Sep-1983; D2; H; Fulham; D,1-1
Wed,14-Sep-1983; LC1ii; A; Peterborough United; L,0-3

He was on loan from Norwich City, apparently only for 4 days. The Peterborough match was an infamous capitulation. We led 3-0 from the home leg and contrived to lose 0-3 against a team 2 leagues below us in what was called 'The 4th Division' in those days. We then went out 2-4 on penalties in what was possibly the first ever penalty shoot-out in a Palace 1st Team fixture. Can anybody confirm?

Furthermore, does anybody recall whether Fashanu took any of the kicks? .

Jerry Murphy and Stan Cummins' penalties both saved by David Seaman,
Shaun Brooks and David Giles scored for Palace then Ian Benjamin won the shoot-out for Posh - George Wood had saved one of their pens.
Mullery went into one of his rages afterwards and into a row with Gordon Taylor of the PFA when he threatened to fine the players. It was solved when the players agreed to donate money to Len Chatterton's handicapped children's charity.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
08-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes. Saw him play in a couple of friendlies too. Mullery didn't keep him on and I believe he ended up at Lincoln.

Remember getting his autograph just outside the players entrance at Selhurst before one of his few appearances for us. He was chatting to someone and a 10 year old Bubbs11 went running over to him. He stopped talking, turned right round as I approached him, got down on his haunches with arms outstretched and said, 'Hello little fella'. Signed his name and was very friendly.

Was well chuffed and have to say, the best reaction as a kid I had from a professional.

A nice moment, but one that's difficult to relate to if not communicated by plasticine stop animation

ExiledStirling
08-02-2015, 01:04 PM

His reaction to you has a name... Grooming

orp pisshead1
09-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes, he was shocking, but to fair the whole team was at that time

Yep awful team, imagine the Bbs then:eek:.

pots1970
09-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I remember him playing at selhurst when we were so so bad and he was very eager, was actually surprised we never signed him and he went to the scum under George Graham if memory serves. This being just a few seasons after topping division 1 with such a young and talented team, quite frightening really.

firesign
09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
xLuaqNoxjro