PDA

View Full Version : Penny on the ball

DARZET EAGLE
08-02-2015, 01:36 PM
As a youngster in the late fifties Palace had a guy patrolling the pitch perimeter selling penny for the ball tickets. The winning ticket was announced at half time and the same guy patrolled to announce on a billboard. This was a popular competion for all and sundry amongst vast crowds in those days of 25 -30 thousand.
Well I won on one memorable occasion and duly collected the ball iatthe office after the game. How pleased was I and the aforementioned ball was played with so often, Anybody else had this experience?

Jim Cannon
08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Before my time, was it just a ball supplied by the club, or the one used in the actual game?

DARZET EAGLE
09-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Before my time, was it just a ball supplied by the club, or the one used in the actual game?

It was the actual match ball. It was the white one used by clubs on murky afternoons and seemed massive at the time. I believe it was at the time valves were introduced in the design rather than just lace ups.

Dorking .Eagle
09-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Someone who won Penny on the Ball in the 30's or 40's still had their ball and a great big heavy brown leather one, and it was on display at the centenary exhibition.

I took away the match ball at Watford away a couple of season ago by swiftly shoving it in my bag and getting away with it! :)

DARZET EAGLE
09-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Someone who won Penny on the Ball in the 30's or 40's still had their ball and a great big heavy brown leather one, and it was on display at the centenary exhibition.

I took away the match ball at Watford away a couple of season ago by swiftly shoving it in my bag and getting away with it! :)

......and it didn't cost you a penny either.

Harry Bassett
09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
For a while my brother used to sell penny on the ball tickets at the palace.

Being a nipper and getting down the front of the terraces my memory has greater connection with the regular collections for charity,with supporters throwing coins into a blanket carried around the pitch. ..many landing on me and others towards the front, ouch.

DARZET EAGLE
09-02-2015, 10:57 PM

Being a nipper and getting down the front of the terraces my memory has greater connection with the regular collections for charity,with supporters throwing coins into a blanket carried around the pitch. ..many landing on me and others towards the front, ouch.

...then there was the bloke selling peanuts.

DARZET EAGLE
09-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Anyone else have memories of winning the match ball?

Chocky
10-02-2015, 04:17 PM
How times changed as there's no such thing as a match ball these days in certain games where ball boys all have one to sling back on quickly before they fetch the one that's just been booted out.

DARZET EAGLE
10-02-2015, 04:52 PM
How times changed as there's no such thing as a match ball these days in certain games where ball boys all have one to sling back on quickly before they fetch the one that's just been booted out.

No ball boys in those days and only one ball for the whole match unless it punctured. There were delays getting it back from the crowd though.

DARZET EAGLE
12-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Such activity today, like last night for instance, could result in a big fine for the club. Amazing that the club encouraged it all those years ago, albeit for charity.