View Full Version : Magic Moments Palace X1

AddoWolz
03-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Moments of magic in the history of Crystal palace

1 Nigel Martyn - Fantastic save against Huddersfield in the cup 1990
2 Danny Butterfield - six min hat against Wolverhampton
3 Steve Staunton - long range goal against Tranmere
4 Allan Pardew - 4-3
5 Jim Cannon - Leading Palace out at Wembley for the first time in the club's history 1988 League centaury
6 Darren Powell - that header - Sunderland play off semi
7 Darren Ambrose - Old Trafford - what a goal
8 Geoff Thomas - Lifting the ZDS at Wembley
9 Dougie Freedman - Stockport
10 Ian Wright - Many many magic Moments - I'll go for the goal at plough lane
11 David Hopkin - play off winner 1997

1 sub The Don against Man United in the 5-0

One other magic moment in the history of Crystal palace - CPFC 2010 taking the club on , they've been AMAZING

IT'S a bit rough but let's see what you can come up with

Jim Cannon
03-03-2015, 06:14 PM
I think you mean v Rochdale with the Martyn save. All I recall about the Huddersfield game is they were utterly shit and the only player I remember on their side looked like Jimmy Somerville and was roundly abused all afternoon

David of Kent
03-03-2015, 07:05 PM
GK Martyn - For the performance in the 2-1 win at Old Trafford in 89
CB O'Reilly - Coming back after a long absence in the Play Off final against Blackburn and putting in an excellent performance with a heavily strapped knee
CB Shaw - To give him credit for a wonderful game against Cantona that got lost in the fog of the United PR machine
RB Pemberton - For the game changing run down the line and cross in the Liverpool semi final
LB Gordon - For the long distance pearler against Derby
CM Madden - for the first game he stated that promotion season against Bournemouth which made me think....who the hell is this guy?
CM Gray - First game at Selhurst after signing back for us in a draw against Manchester Utd. Had a point to prove and did it
RM Hopkin - for the curled Wembley goal
LM Salako - injured for a year and came back with a hat trick
CF Wright - Off the bench from a broken leg injury to score twice in the FA Cup Final
CF Freedman - For the incredible goal at Stockport

Honary mention -
SWEEPER McGoldrick - at Anfield...never thought he'd play like that there....despite the OG

cpfc4evandeva
03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Zaha - Brighton.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/resources/images/2448670.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Maiden Eagle
03-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Good thread this.......here we go, then

1. Perry Suckling - Brilliant tip over the bar Vs Blackburn in 1989 Play Off Final
2. John Pemberton - That run Vs L'Pool at Villa Park
3. Dean Gordon - Piledriver Vs Derby in about the 94th min to rescue a point
4. Super Al - Winner Vs L'Pool
5. Jim Cannon - Ran the length of the pitch to volley home Vs Ipswich, which put us top
6. John McCormick - Scored from about 30 yards to complete a memorable victory Vs Sheff Utd
7. Peter Taylor - 2 Goals Vs Chelsea in the epic 1976 Cup win
8. David Hopkin - Dramatic winner in 1997 P/O Final
9. Neil Shipperley - Scruffiest goal you will ever see, but boy did it feel good at the time (Vs West Ham in Cardiff) !
10. AJ - Hat trick Vs the Weed in the '5 - 0 and you can't go home' game
11 Wilf - 2 goals to shove all that sneering arrogance down those Seaweed's throats !

And I haven't even included Don Rogers, Wright and Bright and Dougie !

DARZET EAGLE
03-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Kev's penalty so cooly taken against Watford to put us up with the big boy's.

Palaceboy222
04-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Speroni - many, many moments but there was an unbelievable save vs Preston I remember well. His penalty save vs
Burnley is up there, as is the one at Derby in the promotion year, or his Hazard save in the Terry OG game.

RB - Butterfield. Wolves.
LB - sod it, I'll play a striker instead
CB - Darren Powell, Sunderland play offs.
CB - Poppa vs Liverpool, kicking baros.

Midfield Three
Hopkin
Ambrose - Sheffield Wed, Man U and Sheffield United at home (sensational volley was key in staying up in cpfc2010's first year.
Zaha - play off semi

Strikers:
Freedman - Stockport, volleys at wolves and home to Sunderland, play off semi vs wolves
AJ- weed hat trick
Murray - FFS Murray
Ships- play off final

Notable mentions:
Jedi at West Ham last year
Gayle 3-3
Kiraly - pulling down van nistlerooy's pants
Wayne Andrews - his goal and making the 4-0 sign to a Norwich player
A Dowie Dowie punch
Curcic and Lombardo vs derby - finally getting the home win in April
Matt Jansen - looking heart broken when he scored vs us
Ashley Cole - same game
Ibra Sjekka and clinton - debut goals
Poppa - own goal at Portsmouth
Johnny Parr - celebrating at wembley
Barry Bannan - winner at hull
Scowcroft - hat trick at saints/volley at wolves
Stern John - mad scenes at derby/Watford
Scannell - last minute winner as his first professional goal
All the goals vs Burnley in the 5-0. Watson, Moses, Sinclair, Morrison and Soares

The one that got away:
Ventola - that hug with the fitness coach

N Herts Eagle
04-03-2015, 07:04 AM
A few...

Don Rogers....... Man Utd 3rd or 5th goal we scored
Peter Taylor.... Nutmeg on the Leeds defender is one that I love but better stick to the Chelsea game the free kick.
Alan Pardew.... Liverpool certainly but would add the Blackburn semi final pass
1969 Fulham.............. Mark Lazrus runs round the pitch or Cliff Jackson...gladiator arm aloft
Leon Mckenzie....debut goal
John Jackson.....how can you pick just one so the one he conceded at Orient playing us
John Salako....the return against Stoke...or the Forest Cup replay goal
Wayne Routledge ...the goal in the thrashing of Stoke
Dean Austin.....Norwich away the day he became one of us
Gareth Southgate...Portsmouth for the run from outside the stadium to score
Steve Coppell...Blackburn throwing jacket in crowd.
Big Mal ....any from the Cup Run..or the Fiona Richmond photo shoot

KYLIE MINEAGLE
04-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Swindlehurst and Walsh against Burnley. You had to be there.

LONDONMAN
04-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Palace 6 Swindon 2 - 1974, 5 Palace goals in 11 minutes!

Gosling
04-03-2015, 11:09 AM
1 Kevin Miller
2 Andy Morrison
3 Micky Droy
4 Neil Ruddock
5 Andy Roberts
6 Jamie Pollock
7 Thomas Brolin
8 Johnny Byrne
9 Neil Shipperley
10 Marco Gabbiadini
11 Tommy Black

Gosling
04-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Oh, hang on. I thought this was about Quality Streets.

Lawd Elpus
04-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Andy Gray running 5 yards and collapsing in a heap in the Freedman Testimonial, anyone?

Nelson Muntz
04-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Julian Speroni - Penalty save against Burnley. Best penalty save I've ever seen.
Pembo - That run.
Eric Young - That elbow.
Darren Powell - Sunderland. From despair to joy.
Jim Cannon - What a strike at home to Ipswich.
David Hopkin - Looking to curl one.
Wilf Zaha - Brighton play offs. Chloe and I cried. Best game EVER.
Darren Ambrose - Free kick home to Villa 'The twat ain't gonna shoot from there is he?'
Aki Riihilahti - For taking his shirt off at Cardiff.
Dougie Freedman - That moment at Stockport.
AJ - Weed hat trick (& loads of other things)
Ian Wright - Lobbing the Chelsea goalkeeper.

Subs: Sam Togwell, Matt Jansen, Shefki Kuqi and every other former player who didn't celebrate when they scored against us.

LONDONMAN
04-03-2015, 03:33 PM
John Burridge penalty save for Palace at Villa Park 1978 (League Cup).

Paul Hinshelwood 40 yarder for Palace v Liverpool in 1977 (FA Cup).

John Humphrey similar v Wolves in 1993.

Steve Kember, 'scoring' for Palace at Stamford Bridge, then telling the ref the ball didn't actually go in the net, early 70's.

Jim Cannon (amongst many great moments) the Palace player who ran into the box when Brighton 'scored' their equalizing penalty at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup 2nd Replay in 1976, except they didn't because ref Ron Challis thought Jimbo was a seaweed and made them retake the pen - it was saved, sparking the famous Mullery rant that turned a rivalry into a war!

Ian Evans hat-trick v Colchester in 1975. Not bad considering he always played at centre-half!

Micky Droy knocking out John Fashanu (Palace v Millwall 1986) then walking off the pitch without even waiting for the ref to ask him too!

The ref in the Palace v Fulham game (1978), who blew for time on 85 minutes! Brought the teams back on the pitch moments after both teams had gone to the dressing rooms!

Extra time at Wrexham, last match of the 1976/77 season, needed a win, Wrexham unbeaten at home all season, rookie keeper Peter Caswell lets in two after we led 2-0.
Pandemonium when Rachid Harkouk and Jeff Bourne scored in stoppage time. Still needed Mansfield to stop Wrexham winning their last match, some of us travelled up to see Mansfield win in last few minutes - thousands at Selhurst Park watch most of the Palace first team play in the Reserve match v Hereford whilst waiting on the Wrexham result!

Winning the FA Youth Cup at Selhurst Park in 1977, with the nucleus of the 'Team of the 80's' - Sansom, Fenwick, Nicholas, Gilbert, Murphy, Hilaire and Walsh.

John Salako in goal for Palace v Wimbledon in 1992 after Nigel Martyn was sent off.

Vince pushing the ref over and getting sent-off v Spurs (League Cup) 1980.

CPFC.1990
04-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Julian Speroni - performance against Liverpool in the League Cup 2005.

Emmerson Boyce - marked an in form Ryan Giggs out of the game at Selhurst.

Davd Hopkin - Wembley and Wolves

Dougie Freedman - Wolves, Stockport, Old Trafford, Portsmouth.

Salako - Nottingham Forest

Thomas - bravest header ever against Everton ZDS

Lombardo - pure genius

Sasa Curcic - Possibly the most skilful player ever to wear red and blue. See Derby home 97/98 or the turn on the half way line against Spurs at Selhurst same season.

Julian Gray - Anfield

Trevor Francis - Signing AJ

AJ - versus Walsall then Brighton

Shipperley - stumbling the ball into the net after AJ ran past 4 players.

Southgate - Pompey

Armstrong - Pompey header

Dowie, Pitcher and Armstrong - Wolves away.

David Hopkin and Gareth Davies versus Lee Bowyer.

Ian Wright goal versus Wimbledon 90/91 at Plough Lane.

Michael Hughes versus Stoke.

Nigel Martyn Save from Ronnie Jepsom.

jaspercpfc
04-03-2015, 09:28 PM
just a few that come to mind:

John Pemberton murdering Terry Hurlock for pace down the flank, and crossing for Ian Wright to rifle home against Millwall in 89'
Ian Wright's majestic lob over Han Segars to complete a 18 min hat-trick in the final game at Plough Lane, the goal was sublime.
Salako going in goal against the dons and making a top save from Alan Corks header, it was a crazy match.
The impromptu pitch invasion at the city ground which saw Damien Mathew level matters in the top of the table clash in 93'
Seeing Palace win at Highbury in 94' after so many heavy league defeats, and going someway to eradicating the pain of relegation in 93'
David Whyte's Sublime goal against West Brom, scenes on the terrace
Salako's sublime curling effort in the league cup 1992 at the Dell, the crowd surge that followed was amazing.
Lombardo's goal at Leeds, words fail me to describe how good that moment was "live"
KP's hatrick against Hull, just a pleasure to see a top marksman showing what a true consumate professional he was.
Kenny Brown's goal at Millwall 1995' sweeping the ball home pass Kasey Keller
Chris Coleman's goal against Chelsea in the league cup 1993' took an eternity to go in, but we celebrated none the less on the wettest night I can remember.

Gosling
04-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Clinton sliding in on one knee to score on a near-waterlogged pitch in front of the Holmesdale against Gillingham. I reckon about 1995?

Jim Cannon
05-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Clinton sliding in on one knee to score on a near-waterlogged pitch in front of the Holmesdale against Gillingham. I reckon about 1995?

Well 1995 was about 3 years before his debut:D

jjeagle
05-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Cant we squeeze Henry Hughton in somewhere?

LONDONMAN
05-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Cant we squeeze Henry Hughton in somewhere?

I wonder if Gerry Ryan is hoping that his brother Chris will 'break a leg' as the new Seaweed boss?

CPFC.1990
06-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Mark Bright scoring through Grobbelaar's legs.