PDA

View Full Version : That Carlisle game. 1st Feb 1986, 3744

the drexciyan
13-03-2015, 03:04 PM
There was a nice article in the Arsenal programme written by a fellow attendee, got me thinking about it too.

The game has gone down as the lowest ebb of our collapse through the early to mid-eighties. I was in the AW enclosure and every game could get a gauge of what the attendance would be by looking at how full the holmesdale was before kickoff. This match there huge spaces all over the terrace and you could hear the players echoing around a near deserted Selhurst. It pissed it down too iirc and that kept a few people away, but walking out it felt like a new low had been reached from the previous 6 years descent and collapse in support. We eventually finished 5th that year as SSC got us to click and haven't been back that decimated in supporter terms ever since then.

Does anybody else have any recollections of the game?

Del Martian
13-03-2015, 04:23 PM
I was there and also recalled sensing it was the nadir of our 1980's malaise; things could and should get better from that point. I was on the Holmesdale (unimpeded view naturally) and yes it was wet, dank, dark and I think it finished 1-1?

ebyeeckeagle
13-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Been a few posts on it. Thinking back, it was simply the quietness around the ground outside that struck me. Not so much inside. Just the roads being empty, really strange. Didn't exactly have big crowds at the time, but even a couple of thousand more obviously made a lot of difference. Walking up the Holmesdale Rd from NJ was eerie.

Think it was a draw. Oddly, I remember the away match up there at the start of the season more vividly. Another mid week draw and rather veisty locals.

davech
13-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Was that the game where there were literally about 20 away supporters in the away corner in the Holmesdale and we took pity on them and let them into the corner of the Arthur under cover?

Elma fudd
13-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Was that the game where there were literally about 20 away supporters in the away corner in the Holmesdale and we took pity on them and let them into the corner of the Arthur under cover?

Yes

Lawd Elpus
13-03-2015, 05:24 PM
The strange thing about the early Coppell years was that the attendances were actually lower than in the two previous seasons under the hated Mullery.

It was just a barren time for British football in general, not just Palace. All I can really remember about the game is the weather being pretty miserable, we knew it was a poor attendance straight away, but then you can fast forward to even the last couple of seasons and see that people just won't turn up for midweek cup matches or friendlies against even more illustrious opposition than Carlisle.

This was a League game, but in truth, it was only really a couple of thousand out from what we would have expected anyway.

If I'm right, I think it was a peculiar time in modern football history when there was simply no live football on TV, apart from the occasional England match, due to the ongoing battle between the Football League and the only TV Channels competing for coverage, BBC and ITV not agreeing on increased fees, prior to the Satellite revolution that brought BSB and Sky into the bidding in the late 80's early 90's.

If you think about it, it was the last season before the invention of the Play Offs (which Ron Noades had a big hand in creating!) and because of the carnage at Heysel between Liverpool and Juventus, British teams were barred from Europe until 1991 starting that very season, which also the brief inception of the Members Cup (also known as the Simod or Zenith Cup) which filled the gap of no European games until the birth of the Premier League in 1992.

In short, it was a watershed for British football and Palace. But at least a few of us were there to remember the silky skills of people like Brush, O'Doherty, Nebbeling and Mahoney! Names to conjure with!

Not sure if it was that season, but Grimsby brought a following of a couple of coachloads and it is said that they complained about the view from the away section, which back in the day would have been roughly where blocks A and B are in the Holmesdale now.

Ron Noades, in his usual cheeky manner said it would have been better if they had'nt spent the game hiding behind the floodlight pylon, which was about half way up the away terracing.

People today don't know what luxury is!

ebyeeckeagle
13-03-2015, 05:44 PM
.... Not sure if it was that season, but Grimsby brought a following of a couple of coachloads and it is said that they complained about the view from the away section, which back in the day would have been roughly where blocks A and B are in the Holmesdale now.

Ron Noades, in his usual cheeky manner said it would have been better if they had'nt spent the game hiding behind the floodlight pylon, which was about half way up the away terracing.!

Very good post on the background to the whole period.

The above was the year before iirc - in '86 there was just enough for a mini bus.

Chocky
13-03-2015, 05:44 PM
I was there but can't really remember being depressed about the empty stadium, I was kind of used to it and strangely seemed to accept that's the way things were and could never see it improving.

The only thing I do remember was sitting in the AW and single handedly smashing all Carlisle's faces in doing a whirly arms after some twat steward let them all in from the terrace.

Ok I was hammered and imagined it.

burgess hill 84
13-03-2015, 08:46 PM
The strange thing about the early Coppell years was that the attendances were actually lower than in the two previous seasons under the hated Mullery.

It was just a barren time for British football in general, not just Palace. All I can really remember about the game is the weather being pretty miserable, we knew it was a poor attendance straight away, but then you can fast forward to even the last couple of seasons and see that people just won't turn up for midweek cup matches or friendlies against even more illustrious opposition than Carlisle.

This was a League game, but in truth, it was only really a couple of thousand out from what we would have expected anyway.

If I'm right, I think it was a peculiar time in modern football history when there was simply no live football on TV, apart from the occasional England match, due to the ongoing battle between the Football League and the only TV Channels competing for coverage, BBC and ITV not agreeing on increased fees, prior to the Satellite revolution that brought BSB and Sky into the bidding in the late 80's early 90's.

If you think about it, it was the last season before the invention of the Play Offs (which Ron Noades had a big hand in creating!) and because of the carnage at Heysel between Liverpool and Juventus, British teams were barred from Europe until 1991 starting that very season, which also the brief inception of the Members Cup (also known as the Simod or Zenith Cup) which filled the gap of no European games until the birth of the Premier League in 1992.

In short, it was a watershed for British football and Palace. But at least a few of us were there to remember the silky skills of people like Brush, O'Doherty, Nebbeling and Mahoney! Names to conjure with!

Not sure if it was that season, but Grimsby brought a following of a couple of coachloads and it is said that they complained about the view from the away section, which back in the day would have been roughly where blocks A and B are in the Holmesdale now.

Ron Noades, in his usual cheeky manner said it would have been better if they had'nt spent the game hiding behind the floodlight pylon, which was about half way up the away terracing.

Good post mate , ticks all the boxes.

Gazza2
13-03-2015, 08:50 PM
I had a pig of a journey on the trains and arrived 15 mins after kick off. Jogging up to the ground through the rain, it was so quiet I thought it had been called off.

SA Eagle
13-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Good post but please don't diss Paul Brush. Scored the winner against Brighton.

Lawd Elpus
15-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Good post but please don't diss Paul Brush. Scored the winner against Brighton.

Not really wanting to have a pop at Paul, who was possibly the best left back at Palace since Kenny Sansom left and before Richard Shaw and Dean Gordon arrived on the scene.

Just wanted to use a few names that were familiar around that time but have faded into the mists of Palace history.

Seem to remember Paul Brush playing for West Ham on the day that Billy Gilbert scored an absolute screamer, similar to the QPR guy yesterday, anyone remember that?

SA Eagle
15-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Not really wanting to have a pop at Paul, who was possibly the best left back at Palace since Kenny Sansom left and before Richard Shaw and Dean Gordon arrived on the scene.

Just wanted to use a few names that were familiar around that time but have faded into the mists of Palace history.

Seem to remember Paul Brush playing for West Ham on the day that Billy Gilbert scored an absolute screamer, similar to the QPR guy yesterday, anyone remember that?

I remember that, finished 1-1?

Billy Rhino
15-03-2015, 03:20 PM

It was 23 actually, was bored so counted them. I remember Uncle Ron allowed those of us in the Whitehorse end (was called Sainsburys then) into the Arthur around halftime, however I missed the announcement so was one of the few remaining idiots getting soaked in the 2nd half whilst my mates stayed dry in the AW.

Also remember George Wood saving a penalty but palming it out (what is it with Palace keepers doing this?) to a Carlisle player who crossed it for another to score a diving header.

The only saving grace from this was that Charlton used to get worse crowds than us at the Valley before they moved to Selhurst, and Lawd Elpus' summary of the time is spot on.

eagle heights
15-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I was there. Think maybe anybody in the holmesdale was allowed in the Arthur. Heavy rain must have put off some regulars. 5,000 was about our average then. Coppell did so much to keep us from the third teir. Respect to Noades for giving him the chance. RiP

Lawd Elpus
15-03-2015, 07:31 PM
I remember that, finished 1-1?

It was 1-1, way back in 1978. Funnily enough, the gate was nearly 10 times higher than the Carlisle game in question!

Worksop Palace
15-03-2015, 07:34 PM
There was a nice article in the Arsenal programme written by a fellow attendee, got me thinking about it too.

The game has gone down as the lowest ebb of our collapse through the early to mid-eighties. I was in the AW enclosure and every game could get a gauge of what the attendance would be by looking at how full the holmesdale was before kickoff. This match there huge spaces all over the terrace and you could hear the players echoing around a near deserted Selhurst. It pissed it down too iirc and that kept a few people away, but walking out it felt like a new low had been reached from the previous 6 years descent and collapse in support. We eventually finished 5th that year as SSC got us to click and haven't been back that decimated in supporter terms ever since then.

My recollection is I rang SP from a phone box in worksop 5 or 6 times to get the latest score. As I used to every home game before I was old enough to go.. Those were the days

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
15-03-2015, 07:39 PM
My birthday..... Remember it well. Gorge Wood saved a penalty and they scored on the rebound... Pissed with rain.... Sticks in the memory for some reason!!!

Carlise Few
15-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I went with my brother who did not usually go to Palace games. If I had not have brought him the attendance would have been even lower.

I remember a game around this time when we got the incredible seeming crowd of over 8,000 and then played poorly. Kevin 'Ticker' Taylor played in that game. I remember thinking 'Oh dear, get a decent crowd for once and now back to square one.' Was that losing 1 - 0 to Shrewsbury at home that year? They used to be our bogey team at that stage

dannyturner
15-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Now the Georgie Wood penalty save rebound saga has been mentioned I am sure I was there too. Used to stand in the Whitehorse courtesy of my free match ticket from selling Palace lottery tickets door to door in Hoo (Rochester) where I lived at the time.

I was 15 in 1986, always remember Stevie Wonder part time lover playing when arriving at games.

Eghameagle
15-03-2015, 08:39 PM
My younger brother was mascot that day.

PT109
15-03-2015, 11:43 PM

Chief I was at that game too. I was a young teenager at the time, and very grateful to experience the beginning of the Coppell era after being a proud member of the 51,482 club thanks to my dad. Can anyone imagine 3.5K at any Palace game after being touted as the team of the 80's only a few years earlier? Soon after I also remember Kevin Ticker Taylor scoring when we put six past the blue noses, and beating Brian Horton's Hull 5-1 in the fog. And that was with Stebbing and Ketteridge in the team lol.

However one of my big memories of those dark times was when we beat sunderland 2-0 at Selhurst. Before the end of the game the attendance was announced (dont remember the exact numbers but it must have been around 6K including a lot of away support) and in response to the announcement the mackems went "arrrrrrrrrrrrgh' as if they were the superior club and we were the shit club with no fans.

Soon after in the FA cup Alan Irvine was beating Des Walker (who was never normally beaten) and Brighty was brought in for 75K from the Lifeline fund and he equalised against the tractor boys on his debut (I think that was 3-3 in the end).

Bloody brilliant and thank you CPFC.

25 or so years later I am so pleased that somehow Palace have survived. Unfortunately there are too many Palace fans who have short memories or unrealistic expectations.

Now drexciyan where is that 'Why I am an Eagle thread'....

lucky_181
16-03-2015, 03:28 AM
Yes miserable times but got me hooked on palace.
Can anyone tell me the game I went too where it was another poor attendance raining and we had 2 players sent off beginning of the 2nd half and we still won 1-0 with a Vince Hilare break got brought down in the box and we scored the penalty. Amazing game after the worst first half I ever witnessed......or did I dream this.

Doctor Doom
16-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Can anyone tell me the game I went too where it was another poor attendance raining and we had 2 players sent off beginning of the 2nd half and we still won 1-0 with a Vince Hilare break got brought down in the box and we scored the penalty. Amazing game after the worst first half I ever witnessed......or did I dream this.

Middlesborough. Missed that game as had just had a metal plate inserted in a broken arm. Don't think it was the same season, though could be wrong.

cpfcpaulo2
16-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Remember that well, Billy Gilbert got sent off for dissent. Sold programmes that year and got a free ticket each game for my troubles, as well as 1p per programme. Made about 25p that night as the crowd was in the 4,000s iirc. Says sat 4 Feb 1984 on espn but sure it was midweek. A couple weeks after we beat that stellar Toon side 3-1.

billy_gilberts_hammer
16-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Definitely the Middlesborough game 1-0 in pouring rain in February 1984. It was the only game I ever took me ex-missus to, just over 4,000 there. Kevin Mabbutt got sent off early for two bookings from "striker" type tackles. Given the conditions he was unlucky. When the ref sent him off Billy Gilbert jogs over from about 40 yards away says something to the ref who points to the tunnel. Billy jogs off. I think it was about half-way through the first half down to 9 men. They battered us and as you say Vince runs length of the pitch and falls over knackered in the penalty area, penalty Peter Nicholas scores. For only 4,000 people the atmosphere was cracking after the sending offs. My ex-missus could not believe the hatred and venom shown towards the ref and Boro players after the sendings off. I also thought it was a Sunday kick-off as Palace were apt to experiment around that time with different match days, but my Palace records book shows 4th February 1984 which was a Saturday. I really enjoyed those days in the early 80's following Palace just do not get the same feeling these days in the Premiersh1t but probably because I am old and bitter now!!

lucky_181
16-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys it was def a Saturday afternoon and yes now you say it was Middlesbrough.
First half was so incredibly bad I wondered why I had even bothered but that second half was everything that supporting Palace was is about and against all odds we won. Incredible game.

moverman
16-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys it was def a Saturday afternoon and yes now you say it was Middlesbrough.
First half was so incredibly bad I wondered why I had even bothered but that second half was everything that supporting Palace was is about and against all odds we won. Incredible game.

I think Big Mal was manager of Boro at the time.

david sylvian
16-03-2015, 02:01 PM
I remember being there, and clearly remember about 6 Carlisle fans in the enclosure of what was then referred to as the 'New Stand'.

That period from late 85 to 90 was probably my favourite period as a fan - travelling all over the country to see Palace in random places like Blackburn, Bradford and Hull. When you're 19/20 with a yellow Ford Escort estate the world is your oyster

the drexciyan
16-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Now the Georgie Wood penalty save rebound saga has been mentioned I am sure I was there too. Used to stand in the Whitehorse courtesy of my free match ticket from selling Palace lottery tickets door to door in Hoo (Rochester) where I lived at the time.

I was 15 in 1986, always remember Stevie Wonder part time lover playing when arriving at games.

Can never forget a tinny Americanos echoing around the ground whilst the players warmed up too.

Big Gav
16-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I remember being there, and clearly remember about 6 Carlisle fans in the enclosure of what was then referred to as the 'New Stand'.

That period from late 85 to 90 was probably my favourite period as a fan - travelling all over the country to see Palace in random places like Blackburn, Bradford and Hull. When you're 19/20 with a yellow Ford Escort estate the world is your oyster

Same here. Long before clubs like Blackburn and Hull got new grounds. Good away days even though we didn't have big numbers a lot of the time

Carlise Few
16-03-2015, 09:34 PM
A related thread is entitled -

Highest and lowest attendance