PDA

View Full Version : Most pivotal moment in Brighton rivalry

Jaserob
28-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Given the direction of both teams since, was this the most pivotal moment in the history of the rivalry?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Julian+Speroni+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Crystal+ZtgC SKq8uKml.jpg

Aquila_17
28-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Given the direction of both teams since, was this the most pivotal moment in the history of the rivalry?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Julian+Speroni+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Crystal+ZtgC SKq8uKml.jpg

Certainly had a "big hand" in things ;-)

ps.. love the signature

Penstone Eagle
28-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Great picture and great thread topic, I have the DVD of that game and also watch the highlights of that game, and yes a truly pivotal moment, as was the Moxey header off of the line from the corner resulting from that save.

Chocky
28-03-2015, 04:25 PM
The moment was when someone did a shite in our changing room. It was all over for them at that point. Dirty c*nts.

Jaserob
29-03-2015, 01:13 PM
For me, I think the save was Jules's best ever because it was so close to him. Superb reactions and I think if that would have gone in, we would have struggled to get back into the game

tasty_snacks
29-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Think I'd still go for Jobi in the last minute. To throw away a twice held lead, lose in the last minute and be owned by Palace in their ridiculous egg and spoon race stadium broke them. They were bottom of the league that year.

cranesparkeagle
29-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I think the FFS Murray game. Ithink there was something of an inferiority complex till that night. After that we just played our game against them

Palace Kebab
29-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Zaha's first goal surely?

LONDONMAN
29-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Andy Johnson's magic.

croydonexile
29-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Close thread.
http://i62.tinypic.com/2efmdjk.jpg

Worksop Palace
29-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Close thread.

:lux:

Pint of Speroni
29-03-2015, 02:14 PM
The day after they won the League One title when out of nowhere came the strong rumours Murray was ditching them to join us, completely pissed on their party. Put them in their place and proved that they could win a league and have a brand new stadium and we would still be the better club.

Nork1
29-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Yep, Glenn turning down a contract with them to move on to bigger and better things must have totally destroyed them.

stumpy feelers
29-03-2015, 02:27 PM
I know they offered him an extra grand a week to stay, he was only on 3k a week, we offered 6. The end.

Breaking rocks
29-03-2015, 02:29 PM
They are all buying the new Premier League ready cars so that they can drive to watch Bournemouth playing in it next season.

Granada allover
29-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Another pivotal moment was giving them delusions of grandeur by losing 3-0 at the Amex.

Maidstoned Eagle
29-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Biggus.....

Pistol Knight
29-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Biggus.....

The day Mitch tried run over a Bright*n fan on one of our many visits there (what a day that was, frozen celery et all)

ElwissAtMemphis
29-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Surely this is it, hands down.

http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hortonpenalty1a.jpg

http://www.palace-echo.net/images/bha2.jpg

FA Cup 1st Round. 2nd Replay at Stamford Bridge, 06-Dec-77.

Above, with 13 minutes to go and Palace 1-0 up, Brighton are awarded a penalty. Horton scored from the initial kick but the referee ruled that it should be retaken for encroachment, a decision that was widely accepted as being highly dubious. Horton retakes and as the picture shows, Hammond saves.

After the final whistle, with Palace 1-0 winners courtesy of Phil Holder, Mullery shows his displeasure in the 2nd picture. Throwing a couple of crumpled pound notes to the ground he fumed, "you're not worth that Palace" or words to that effect. The hand gesture kind of says it all. I'm not sure how bothered we were at the time but it certainly got their backs up.

How we laughed until we woke up one morning 6 years later to discover that the obnoxious twonk had been appointed as our manager. I guess we got the last laugh eventually.

PeterH
29-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Close thread.

Saving that. :lux:

ElwissAtMemphis
29-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Here's the initial kick ...

http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hortonpenalty2a.jpg?w=580&h=358

Apparently, disallowed because of encroachment by Palace players which, to be fair, would be incorrect under football laws.

The referee Ron "Challis of the Palace" Challis ordered a re-take and the rest is history. He'd already disallowed what appeared to be a perfectly good Brighton goal by Ian Mellor. The shenanigans with the penalty clearly tipped Mullery over the edge.

And here's the man himself ...

http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ronchallis.jpg?w=580&h=436

Lingfield Eagle
29-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Here's the initial kick ...

http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hortonpenalty2a.jpg?w=580&h=358

Apparently, disallowed because of encroachment by Palace players which, to be fair, would be incorrect under football laws.

The referee Ron "Challis of the Palace" Challis ordered a re-take and the rest is history. He'd already disallowed what appeared to be a perfectly good Brighton goal by Ian Mellor. The shenanigans with the penalty clearly tipped Mullery over the edge.

And here's the man himself ...

http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ronchallis.jpg?w=580&h=436
Most definitely the pivotal moment in the rivalry and where it all really started. What goes on now is tame compared with the hostilities between us in the 70's and 80s. Kids today, they know nothing!

in-exile
29-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Statue needed...Challis of the Palace....didn't we have a thread on a statue at the ground, Ron gets my vote!

Lawd Elpus
29-03-2015, 08:16 PM
http://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hortonpenalty2a.jpg

What a great memory that brings back!

I'm in that pic somewhere. Up the back of the terrace (which Chelsea ridiculously called the 'North Stand' even though it had no cover - and it pissed down all game that night back in December 1976!).

Not sure if you can see, but it was our own Jimbo (Jim Cannon) who ran into the box, that confused poor Mr Challis into chalking off the Seaweed's supposed equaliser.

It was the 1st Round of the FA Cup - but a 2nd Replay - because we had drawn 2-2 away in the first match and 1-1 at home in the 1st replay.

We beat Enfield at home in the 2nd Round - that was the last season that Palace did not enter the FA Cup in the 3rd Round - over 38 years ago!

I can still remember the half-time music! We gave Brighton a very sound thrashing, on and off the pitch when they came for the League match (which I think was about this time in March 1977) and Mullery also got the piss ripped out of him royally when he stepped off the Brighton Team bus at Selhurst Park. Happy Days!

trufan
29-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Statue needed...Challis of the Palace....didn't we have a thread on a statue at the ground, Ron gets my vote!

Great nickname. Do the Brighton fans call him "Poison"? :D

Crofty
29-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Ogilvy
29-03-2015, 09:16 PM
In over 40 years and some brilliant derbies my best memory is

WE'RE CRYSTAL PALACE, WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE

Chocky
30-03-2015, 08:59 AM
FA Cup 1st Round. 2nd Replay at Stamford Bridge, 06-Dec-77.

Above, with 13 minutes to go and Palace 1-0 up, Brighton are awarded a penalty. Horton scored from the initial kick but the referee ruled that it should be retaken for encroachment, a decision that was widely accepted as being highly dubious. Horton retakes and as the picture shows, Hammond saves.

After the final whistle, with Palace 1-0 winners courtesy of Phil Holder, Mullery shows his displeasure in the 2nd picture. Throwing a couple of crumpled pound notes to the ground he fumed, "you're not worth that Palace" or words to that effect. The hand gesture kind of says it all. I'm not sure how bothered we were at the time but it certainly got their backs up.

How we laughed until we woke up one morning 6 years later to discover that the obnoxious twonk had been appointed as our manager. I guess we got the last laugh eventually.

I was there but I can't remember seeing many photos from the game, I've seen Holder taking our penalty but don't think I ever saw this Hammond save. This game also never had any video footage (neither did the first game at Brighton or the replay). But I remember it all vividly!

This was the moment when some incorrectly think the rivalry started when in fact Mullery's reaction was because of it more like! This game just heightened it.

I went to school the next day and chalked the score over the doors in the locker room. Oooh naughty schoolboy.

Chocky
30-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Most definitely the pivotal moment in the rivalry and where it all really started.

Palace and Brighton were kicking f*ck out of each other years before this game. Even in the first game at Brighton 10 days previously there was a huge ruck during the game after a fence collapsed between the fans. I had also been to the league game there about a month before where I saw the worst football violence close up ever at Hove station after the game, bricks, bottles, shop windows going in and not a copper in sight, I just stood there as a young teenager with a schoolmate and my Dad in an alleyway thinking WTF?

And then we got some chips.

sydney eagle
30-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Didn't Julian pull off 2 or three worldies in the first leg as well?

Wibble Wobble
30-03-2015, 09:20 AM

By the end of this season our total income will be about 200 million since then.:D
Wonder what Brighton's is.:hi:

Vince Hilaire's Afro
30-03-2015, 11:18 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/snufflerdude/Mobile%20Uploads/image_16.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/snufflerdude/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_16.jpg.html)
There's a football team?

biggus mickus
30-03-2015, 04:27 PM
The day Mitch tried run over a Bright*n fan on one of our many visits there (what a day that was, frozen celery et all)

rofl. what a day out that was.:p

Ruskin Old Boy
30-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Palace and Brighton were kicking f*ck out of each other years before this game. Even in the first game at Brighton 10 days previously there was a huge ruck during the game after a fence collapsed between the fans. I had also been to the league game there about a month before where I saw the worst football violence close up ever at Hove station after the game, bricks, bottles, shop windows going in and not a copper in sight, I just stood there as a young teenager with a schoolmate and my Dad in an alleyway thinking WTF?

And then we got some chips.

Indeed we were.

Similar "activities" a few seasons earlier. Took a younger cousin, it was his first time at the Gallstone and he queried why we went in the home end (the North Stand). Told him to keep quiet until kick off. And it did kick off when the ref blew the whistle.

After about 10 times the police formed a human barrier but the damage was done, Palace had half the North Stand.

Funnily enough, premonitions of serious conflict at Hove Station after the match meant we walked along the seafront and had chips before catching the train back to Croydon.

orp pisshead1
06-04-2015, 09:52 AM
I thought it was when the scum got run down there in a reserve game in 36?.

racehorse-80s
06-04-2015, 09:59 AM
The 2nd leg of the Play-offs regardless of what came before that result has ratcheted it upto another level , Brighton fans have never felt such pain and it's still hurting ,

in-exile
06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
The 2nd leg of the Play-offs regardless of what came before that result has ratcheted it upto another level , Brighton fans have never felt such pain and it's still hurting ,They got the pain with none of the Gain..

cdm61
06-04-2015, 10:09 AM
The 2nd leg of the Play-offs regardless of what came before that result has ratcheted it upto another level , Brighton fans have never felt such pain and it's still hurting ,
It will take a generation or more for their recovery...if they ever do! They will have to trump us by beating us in a final....which we know they will never achieve. Those two games put our clubs on different paths and they have no answers or comebacks to the truth....the weed are shit.

AddoWolz
06-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Brighton fans have never felt such pain and it's still hurting ,

GOOD :p

Bobby Smith
08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
...Kids today, they know nothing!

My 11-year old son on Tuesday night, "we've got to play Brighton soon - we'd destroy them!"

Completely unprompted :lux::lux:

Field Marshall
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
The usual story is that it all began with the Mullery V sign game. I have a scrap book cutting of that headline and story which I will post when I can be bothered to scan it.
My memory of Brighton that sticks is a game at Selhurst on a sunny Saturday when the Brighton tried to take the Holmesdale before the game in around 79.
I'm not looking it up.
Another was a grim game at the Goldstone with coin throwing which I think we lost 1 - 0

Jack Regan
13-04-2015, 11:55 AM
The most pivotal moment in the rivalry was probably about 30 years ago when it ended.

IanH
13-04-2015, 12:19 PM
3 pivotal moments for me:

1. The Mullery comment at Stamford Bridge.

2. The win down there towards the end of the season when they went down (1987 I think) which showed the teams were going in completely different directions - they ended up losing their ground, nearly going out of business and nearly going out of the league whilst we got promoted and finished third in the top division - I don't think we played them for 16 years or so after that game.

3. The play-off win, which will hopfully be even more pivotal than the 1987 game!

Grim Reaper
05-08-2015, 03:25 PM
All this (what a great thread) and no mention of the fact this rivalry jointly holds the world record for the most penalties in a game (five) What a day that was!

Always amused that until recently their number one landmark/tourist attraction was pier named after their biggest rivals! You couldn't script it

cpfc4evandeva
05-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Have we got this far without 5-0 being mentioned?! Another moment like Murray signing, and beating them at their shiny new plastic ground that really reminded them who was king.

But that save from Speroni and subsequent clearance from Moxey from the resulting corner put both of our clubs on very different trajectories. There's a bit of a myth that we bossed the game from start to finish, but this isn't true. After we scored it was very comfortable and the second goal shows that. But up until we went ahead, it was very even.

Had they scored first, would we have gone on to beat them...? I'm not so sure.

New LP
05-08-2015, 04:39 PM
The last time the two teams met was pretty pivotal. They finally thought they'd got our number, how wrong they were.

Erne
05-08-2015, 07:10 PM
All this (what a great thread) and no mention of the fact this rivalry jointly holds the world record for the most penalties in a game (five) What a day that was!

Always amused that until recently their number one landmark/tourist attraction was pier named after their biggest rivals! You couldn't script it

You'll be pleased to hear that there is an ongoing local campaign to rename so called "Brighton Pier" back to Palace Pier. It was only renamed because Noble amusements took it over.

I have of course backed the return to its proper title, as a local resident with a small axe to grind.

whereEaglesFly
05-08-2015, 07:18 PM
The most pivotal moment in the rivalry was probably about 30 years ago when it ended.

:S::S::S::S: Of course it was

in-exile
05-08-2015, 07:31 PM
:S::S::S::S: Of course it wasThis will NEVER end! :p

Jon_C-Pal
05-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I think the FFS Murray game. Ithink there was something of an inferiority complex till that night. After that we just played our game against them

This. I think this put the firmly in their place, they was starting to get abit above their stations.

chrisophiex
21-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Who were considered main rivals before Brighton ?

the drexciyan
21-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Its been a series of pivotal moments, each of which have screwed them more firmly into their place.

Love that photo of Jules though, that was indeed a key moment. Also after we weathered the initial storm to get to half-time in the first leg of the playoff semi too - we just got stronger and stronger after that over the 2 legs.

New LP
21-08-2015, 11:04 PM

Attention seeking again I see.

danpalace07
22-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Attention seeking again I see.

miserable old Mail loving ******

Sick Bucket
22-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Personally going to the Goldstone ground with my Dad boxing Day, something like 82 being 12 and hit on the nose with a coin which ******* hurt. Later a weed flicked a fag in my Dad's face for no reason. That was fairly pivotal in my dislike of the weeds.

JJ
22-08-2015, 12:30 AM
I'm sure that learning they had lost the Div.2 championship to us in 79 when they were mid-Atlantic was a nice moment for them to add to those mentioned already.

NRM the 2nd
22-08-2015, 06:59 AM
them beating us 3 0 at the Amex. If it wasn't for that game we wouldn't be where we are now. It was that game that became Brigh*ons undoing. The cockiness, that absolute certainty they had of getting to Wembley all stemmed from that game.

A horrible afternoon in the rain for us, and I was at it, but if it hadn't been for that the play offs may have panned out differently.

We had to suffer that to gain our greatest moment against them

And its kind of poetic that one of their top memories is also one that F**ked them

DocSavage
22-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Rival=
1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect:

hmmm maybe 1 certainly not 2

tauranga rob
22-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Indeed we were.

Similar "activities" a few seasons earlier. Took a younger cousin, it was his first time at the Gallstone and he queried why we went in the home end (the North Stand). Told him to keep quiet until kick off. And it did kick off when the ref blew the whistle.

After about 10 times the police formed a human barrier but the damage was done, Palace had half the North Stand.

Funnily enough, premonitions of serious conflict at Hove Station after the match meant we walked along the seafront and had chips before catching the train back to Croydon.

Yep. I used to go to games with guys who were several years older than me (our parents were friends, so they got persuaded to take me along, so I was the baby of their gang). I was 10 when I went to my first away game - it was at the Gallstone. I turned up at East Croydon Station to meet the others wearing a parka with "CPFC Mal For God" written on the back. The boys were horrified! It was a mad day. Fights everywhere, before, during and after the game.

Jim Cannon
22-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Indeed. And a slightly smaller one, of another refeering legend, Mr Kelvin Morton is a must too.

Ruskin Old Boy
22-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Yep. I used to go to games with guys who were several years older than me (our parents were friends, so they got persuaded to take me along, so I was the baby of their gang). I was 10 when I went to my first away game - it was at the Gallstone. I turned up at East Croydon Station to meet the others wearing a parka with "CPFC Mal For God" written on the back. The boys were horrified! It was a mad day. Fights everywhere, before, during and after the game.

:lux: :p

Kylie_Tracey
24-08-2015, 07:36 PM
great pic, needs framing! any of the FFS Murray goal?

will hung
25-08-2015, 07:43 PM
When I started going in the 1960s, millwall and charlton were the main rivals and they still are as far as I'm concerned