PDA

View Full Version : Martyn, Thorn, Wright

DARZET EAGLE
03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I realise many younger supporters wouldn't have had the pleasure of seeing these three, but have we ever had a spine through a team as good as them?

Fernando
03-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Exactly , however you are omitting one of the best midfielders we ever had Andy Gray. He was truly a Palace hero for me and many others. The team of 90-91 was one of the best we ever had , the squad today could eclipse those heroes from 25 years ago...

Fernando
03-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Btw. He was one of the very first box to box midfielders , even before it was coined a player attribute...

Billy Gilbert
03-04-2015, 05:01 PM
If you're talking about the spine of the team along with Gray you've got to include Young, Thomas & Bright. No surprise we finished 3rd!

Billy Rhino
03-04-2015, 05:04 PM
I agree with all 7 players mentioned but to be honest the least impressive of those was Thorn. Solid CB but not really that exceptional, I thought Young was better.

DARZET EAGLE
03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
I agree with all 7 players mentioned but to be honest the least impressive of those was Thorn. Solid CB but not really that exceptional, I thought Young was better.

Yes ''Ninja'' Young was a beast at the back and front. But who can forget Thorns flick on in the build up to Pardews goal at Villa Park? Andy Gray was just fabulous.:lux:

AddoWolz
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Might as well mention the rest of the team Shaw , Pembo , Eddie and Salako , what a team that was .

WLYWLYAWYPWF
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Btw. He was one of the very first box to box midfielders , even before it was coined a player attribute...

Don't be ridiculous.

Fernando
03-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Why is that statement ridiculous ?

Chocky
03-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Ninja was the best centre half I've ever seen at Palace. When he joined and took over from O'Reilly he took the defence to a very high level. That back 4 with Nigel behind them were hard to break. Especially with Gray and Thomas battling in front of them. It was such a great well balanced side. Now I'm getting angry again that Noades didn't take us to an even higher level.

DryRubber
03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
We always looked a goal threat from set-plays with Thorn and Eric. Teams use to hate playing us back then.

stumpy feelers
03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
There's a video on youtube of us destroying Southend 8 - 0 with that team. Great team.

EmmerGreenEagle
03-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Loved Ninja's debut away at Luton which he marked with a goal. Luton had banned away fans, but surprise surprise when Eric scored half the ground was celebrating.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
03-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Why is that statement ridiculous ?

Well I think someone like Bryan Robson who was around for a long time prior would suggest it was a ridiculous statement too. There are other examples going back a lot further.

Eric's Headband
03-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Eric Young, my favourite palace player ever! The stories and rumours surrounding his disappearance from public life since retiring from football just add to his greatness!

IanH
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I remember an article by Terry Gibson talking about the Wimbledon crazy gang side of Fashanu, Jones, Thorn, Wise etc in which he made the classic statement "Nobody messed with big Eric!" 😄

Typical Palace
03-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Eric Young, my favourite palace player ever! The stories and rumours surrounding his disappearance from public life since retiring from football just add to his greatness!
I went to a pre-season tournament in the Italian Alps and spoke to Eric in a bar post match. He just stared at me with these cold psycho eyes and didn't say anything. Proper hardman.

GrthTylrGiraffe
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
10-15 years ago one of my colleagues mentioned that Eric Young worked with one of her friends for an accountancy firm on the Surrey / Berkshire border. I did ask if she could ask her friend for his autograph but I think she was a bit too embarrassed to pass on the request to the ninja...

DARZET EAGLE
03-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Keep them coming , some great memories here of a great team. I thought the spine of Martyn, Thorn and Wright made us so exciting but subsequent comments make me realise we had key players in all positions.:love:

Big Gav
03-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Loved Ninja's debut away at Luton which he marked with a goal. Luton had banned away fans, but surprise surprise when Eric scored half the ground was celebrating.

Yeah was there that day. Can't remember how we got tickets though

EmmerGreenEagle
03-04-2015, 11:38 PM
I knew a 27yr old Chelsea fan who had a Luton membership card. I had to pretend I was him when I picked the tickets up before the game. I was 16yrs old at the time.

Norman Nigel
04-04-2015, 12:08 AM
I knew a 27yr old Chelsea fan who had a Luton membership card. I had to pretend I was him when I picked the tickets up before the game. I was 16yrs old at the time.

Those membership cards didnt have a date of birth on. What difference would it have made how old you were ?

Madden
04-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Might as well mention the rest of the team Shaw , Pembo , Eddie and Salako , what a team that was .

Pemberton had already been replaced by the signing of John Humphrey, infact the whole defence had been upgraded from our promotion winning team from just a year before!

Kylie_Tracey
04-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Thomas and Andy Gray were of equal importance in the "spine"

Latvian Eagle
04-04-2015, 01:38 PM
A team with Martyn, Thorn, Young, Thomas, Gray, Wright and Bright down the spine... We can only dream of a team like that now.

Humphrey, Shaw, McGoldrick and Salako on the flanks weren't too shabby either. :p

Tom's Old Man
04-04-2015, 03:16 PM
We finished 3rd. The 3rd best team in England. It was comfortably the best Palace team of all time.

EmmerGreenEagle
04-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Those membership cards didnt have a date of birth on. What difference would it have made how old you were ?

My apologies. Always get one

Typical Palace
04-04-2015, 10:11 PM
A team with Martyn, Thorn, Young, Thomas, Gray, Wright and Bright down the spine... We can only dream of a team like that now.

Humphrey, Shaw, McGoldrick and Salako on the flanks weren't too shabby either. :p

Left back wasn't Shaw's best position. He was a very good defender, a superb man marker, but he was better at centre back later in his career.

He wouldn't really be mentioned in a best Palace left backs discussion. To start with he wasn't left footed.

Typical Palace
04-04-2015, 10:15 PM
We finished 3rd. The 3rd best team in England. It was comfortably the best Palace team of all time.

Yes. We can hope we'll get a better side, but we'll never finish as high again. Where do you reckon that Palace side would finish in today's Premier League? Top 8? Stupid proposition as the direct way Palace played then would probably not get the same results today. But that defence would stand up to scrutiny today. Would the physical, aggressive approach of Young and Thorn be tolerated today? They might have had more suspensions.

DryRubber
04-04-2015, 10:40 PM

This with bells on.

Duffle Coat
04-04-2015, 11:16 PM
That team was like Palace in a parallel universe. We were doing over teams like there was no tomorrow. Last game of the season we beat Moan 3 0 at Selhurst. Thing was, no one really blinked. Even today, I wonder if it even happened. We were feared the land over. Damn, we'd have won a Euro trophy if they'd have let us in.

Latvian Eagle
04-04-2015, 11:50 PM
That team was like Palace in a parallel universe. We were doing over teams like there was no tomorrow. Last game of the season we beat Moan 3 0 at Selhurst. Thing was, no one really blinked. Even today, I wonder if it even happened. We were feared the land over. Damn, we'd have won a Euro trophy if they'd have let us in.

In all honesty as much as I loved that game I am pretty sure United weren't full strength with the Cup Winners Cup final coming up.

DARZET EAGLE
05-04-2015, 08:10 AM
In all honesty as much as I loved that game I am pretty sure United weren't full strength with the Cup Winners Cup final coming up.

Maybe not but we still beat them comprehensively.

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 08:29 AM

True but Thorn was the organiser, Thomas was equally as good as gray just different style of player. What a midfield pair and better than they were ever given credit for imo. Amazing spine of an amazing team. Will never be bettered imo.

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 08:31 AM

You was what 6 lol. We battered em pure and simple:lux::lux::lux:.

art malice
05-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Great days but today's side is so much better to watch

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Left back wasn't Shaw's best position. He was a very good defender, a superb man marker, but he was better at centre back later in his career.

He wouldn't really be mentioned in a best Palace left backs discussion. To start with he wasn't left footed.

How the **** Shaw never got England caps is a disgrace imo , very very under rated defender.

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Great days but today's side is so much better to watch

:eek: behave :clown:. Current team is excellent but that side was exceptional.

art malice
05-04-2015, 08:51 AM
:eek: behave :clown:. Current team is excellent but that side was exceptional.

I'm talking about style of play

Typical Palace
05-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Andrei Kanchelskis (sp?) made his debut in the Laura Ashley kit.

Typical Palace
05-04-2015, 10:11 AM
How the **** Shaw never got England caps is a disgrace imo , very very under rated defender.

Didn't he come close once? On standby but got injured or something?

Did he play for England B?

Tom's Old Man
05-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Yes. We can hope we'll get a better side, but we'll never finish as high again. Where do you reckon that Palace side would finish in today's Premier League? Top 8? Stupid proposition as the direct way Palace played then would probably not get the same results today. But that defence would stand up to scrutiny today. Would the physical, aggressive approach of Young and Thorn be tolerated today? They might have had more suspensions.
Don't see why they shouldn't finish just as high TBH. Most the 'big' clubs aren't as good as they think they are as we've seen again in Europe this year. Chelsea are inconsistent, but seem to be winning the league quite easily and its the worst Man Utd side for over 20 years, but they'll still make top 4.

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm talking about style of play

Maybe but thought the team back then was exciting tbh:p. current team is very good though with class throughout the squad.

orp pisshead1
05-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Yeah that **** venables had him on stand by for at least one squad.

CPFC.1990
14-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Shaw was a very good player, very under rated. People actually thought Coleman was a better defender though .

mushroom
14-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Shaw was a awesome man marker... was it him that marked *****na out the game when he got sent off?

The Omen
14-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Shaw was a awesome man marker... was it him that marked *****na out the game when he got sent off?

Must have been a bloody easy job!

old geezer
14-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Yes it was and he frustrated the **** so much he got sent off - the rest is history and classic

I still like Cantona though - he makes me laugh and the adoration of wanker fans for him is just pure idiocy and pantomime

DryRubber
14-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I recall McGoldrick playing CB for a while and doing quite a good job of it to. Given his size he read the game quite well at the back.

Crystal Roo
14-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I recall McGoldrick playing CB for a while and doing quite a good job of it to. Given his size he read the game quite well at the back.

Eddie was used as a sweeper and not often used now days. Franco Baresi was one of the best.

Crystal Roo
14-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Eddie was used as a sweeper and not often used now days. Franco Baresi was one of the best.

The sweeper system not Eddie!

jaspercpfc
14-04-2015, 05:19 PM

He was on standby for the umbro cup (England/Brazil/Japan & Sweden)

BTW: McGoldrick was a cracking sweeper - best player on the pitch at Anfield in 91' and so unlucky with an own goal. Eddie always loved to celebrate a goal with the crowd :lux:

Typical Palace
14-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Cheers for that Jasper.

I used to love how Shaw celebrated a goal. Just like a fan it was. The way he went ballistic at a 4-2 (?) win at St Andrew's, in Championship winning year, scoring possibly his first goal lives long in the memory.

DARZET EAGLE
15-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Great to have Shaw back at the club.

jaspercpfc
15-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Cheers for that Jasper.

I used to love how Shaw celebrated a goal. Just like a fan it was. The way he went ballistic at a 4-2 (?) win at St Andrew's, in Championship winning year, scoring possibly his first goal lives long in the memory.

Shaw's first goal came at home to Forest in August 1990' a low drilled shot just inside the box, a couple of mins into the game. The goal at Brum was a beautiful move, Bowry splitting the defence wide open, before Armtrong squared it for Shaw to slot home. He played in midfield the early part of 93/94, and looked steady, despite not always being a regular under Smith. Think his only other goal came that same season at home to Luton, rifling home in a crowded box. The game has changed alot since the days of Shaw & co, but his reading of the game was second to none.

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 07:49 AM
There's a video on youtube of us destroying Southend 8 - 0 with that team. Great team.

And Southend were no mugs then - they got promoted that year

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 07:52 AM
We were feared the land over. Damn, we'd have won a Euro trophy if they'd have let us in.

United's run to the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final was so easy I know we'd have made the final.

Wrexham FFS!

Other than Barca (who were not a patch on curent Barca) that has to be the easiest Euro run anyteam could have wished for.

Seven bloody minutes!!

Latvian Eagle
12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
United's run to the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final was so easy I know we'd have made the final.

Wrexham FFS!

Other than Barca (who were not a patch on curent Barca) that has to be the easiest Euro run anyteam could have wished for.

Seven bloody minutes!!

Pecsi Munkas
Wrexham
Montpellier
Legia Warsaw

Did no decent teams from other countries enter that year?! :moo:

Jack Regan
12-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Vinny Jones analysis of us at the time:

"Palace? They're a horrible bunch of bastards, no one likes playing them"

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Vinny Jones analysis of us at the time:

"Palace? They're a horrible bunch of bastards, no one likes playing them"

Coming from Vinnie, I get proud reading that.

To be fair any of the Palace squad would have said the same about Wimbledon 88-93.

Shipp Ahoy!
12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Martyn was my hero growing up.

I played most of my childhood in goal thanks to him.

I have a picture somewhere of him holding me up at one of the open days as a young boy. Funny enough I remember the moment with crystal clarity - it is in fact one of my few moments as a young boy I do remember as such.

I can still hear my dad (Beatleboy) telling Nige not to do himself an injury as he lifted me up for it :seriousman:love::

Incidently a memory I don't have but my mum likes to repeat is one day sitting in the stand watching the great Ian Wright being unable to say certain words properly like... Favourite. I told everyone within earshot that "Ian Wright is my father!" :D which naturally being as white as you come caused some amusement to those about :D

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Pecsi Munkas
Wrexham
Montpellier
Legia Warsaw

Did no decent teams from other countries enter that year?! :moo:

It was a funny comp because back then, a lot of countries didn't take the Cup seriously so you had a strange set of winners getting their bit of glory in Europe. Hell, Newport made the QF in 1981! West Ham as a 2nd division team also made it to the semi that year. Anyone remember Merthyr Tydfil beating Atalanta in 1987?

There was a string of weird and wonderful teams but nowadays, with teams dominant and racking up doubles/trebles etc. (PSG/Bayern/Barca/Juve) you'd end up with this being a decently filled tournament were it still in existence.

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Martyn was my hero growing up.

:

He's the best! First player I ever met and couldn't have been a nicer bloke.

Funnily enough, he was in the Club Shop asking when the replica shirts were going to be ready to buy. Can you believe it was October and the replica shirts still weren't available - the season was nearly a quarter over! No wonder Bukta went bust. Can you believe a first team player was even having to ask as a punter, not just getting a freebie from squad stock!!

And like you I remember it with clarity - 5 Oct 1990

FourtyTwo
12-08-2015, 09:29 PM

Latvian Eagle
15-08-2015, 09:52 PM
It was a funny comp because back then, a lot of countries didn't take the Cup seriously so you had a strange set of winners getting their bit of glory in Europe. Hell, Newport made the QF in 1981! West Ham as a 2nd division team also made it to the semi that year. Anyone remember Merthyr Tydfil beating Atalanta in 1987?

There was a string of weird and wonderful teams but nowadays, with teams dominant and racking up doubles/trebles etc. (PSG/Bayern/Barca/Juve) you'd end up with this being a decently filled tournament were it still in existence.

They should have kept the CWC really. Probably would give the FA Cup a bit more meaning. Shame as both that and the UEFA Cup have been ruined

As for Nige he was my absolute hero too. I met him after rhe Cup game against Leeds where he saved a Bruce Dyer 88th minute penalty. I remember going up to him and asking if I could shake his hand. :o

Chief Brody
16-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Disagree re Thorn being inferior to Young. They were very much equal, they simply complimented each other fantastically with their differing strengths. Thorn was the organiser, limited pace but exceptional positioning that negated the weakness. When we played Liverpool at home that season the Times article stated that Thorn/Young were the best partnership in the country. They were right.

Andy was also instrumental, along with Martyn for us staying up that first season.

He also drank at the R&C in Carshalton, and would often see him down there after our Sunday league game at lunchtime with his greyhound.

Great guy.

stevek
17-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Disagree re Thorn being inferior to Young. They were very much equal, they simply complimented each other fantastically with their differing strengths. Thorn was the organiser, limited pace but exceptional positioning that negated the weakness. When we played Liverpool at home that season the Times article stated that Thorn/Young were the best partnership in the country. They were right.

Andy was also instrumental, along with Martyn for us staying up that first season.

I agree with this (and remember, when the article saying Thorn and Young were the best partnership in the country, Arsenal had Adams and Bould).

Personally, I would say Thorn's signing in 1989 was more important in keeping us up than Martyn's. As you say, he brought much needed organisation to the defence.

scro
17-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Exactly , however you are omitting one of the best midfielders we ever had Andy Gray. He was truly a Palace hero for me and many others. The team of 90-91 was one of the best we ever had , the squad today could eclipse those heroes from 25 years ago...

Dann, ward, souare, cabaye and bolasie would be the only ones that would get in the side back then. Puncheon is of the requisite quality but as 442 was the done thing he wouldn't have had a position and he wouldn't edge out bolasie and salako on the wings.

cantspell
17-09-2015, 11:36 AM
John Salako still the best crosser (with either foot) I have seen at Palace - could do it on the run as well as from a standing position. Truly, a very good side

Latvian Eagle
21-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Dann, ward, souare, cabaye and bolasie would be the only ones that would get in the side back then. Puncheon is of the requisite quality but as 442 was the done thing he wouldn't have had a position and he wouldn't edge out bolasie and salako on the wings.

Not sure I would have Bolasie over Salako or McGoldrick, but maybe that's me being controversial.

jaspercpfc
22-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Not sure I would have Bolasie over Salako or McGoldrick, but maybe that's me being controversial.

I'd go along with this. Mcgoldrick also bought versatility to the table. Bolasie's 3 years at CPFC have epitomised the journey the club have been on, but looking beyond the sentiment he still has much to do as a player.

Latvian Eagle
22-09-2015, 04:25 PM
I'd go along with this. Mcgoldrick also bought versatility to the table. Bolasie's 3 years at CPFC have epitomised the journey the club have been on, but looking beyond the sentiment he still has much to do as a player.

Eddie could cross and chipped in with a few too. :D

jaspercpfc
22-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Eddie could cross and chipped in with a few too. :D

My favourite was his fluke against QPR December 92' from all of 40 yards
he only scored 1 in his first 80 didn't he? there were rumours of Uncle Ron paying Eddie 10k if he hit double figures in 92/93' and Ron reportedly paid out before December :)
You seldom see the modern day pro's celebrate like Eddie did, he just opted for the full man hug with the crowd.

DARZET EAGLE
22-09-2015, 05:00 PM
McGoldrick was a much underrated player in a great team.

Latvian Eagle
22-09-2015, 05:28 PM
he only scored 1 in his first 80 didn't he? there were rumours of Uncle Ron paying Eddie 10k if he hit double figures in 92/93' and Ron reportedly paid out before December :)
You seldom see the modern day pro's celebrate like Eddie did, he just opted for the full man hug with the crowd.

I was at QPR that day. Great strike.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:17 AM
If you're talking about the spine of the team along with Gray you've got to include Young, Thomas & Bright. No surprise we finished 3rd!

^^^^^^ GT was equally as influencial as Gray, Young & Thorn probably our best central defence partnership ever and same goes for Wright n Bright up top and still think Wright wouldn't of been the player he was without Bright's guidance. What astute management by SSC spotting & getting Bright in from Leicesters reserves.:p. And Salad of course injury deprived him of more caps.

Big Gav
27-09-2015, 09:22 AM
^^^^^^ GT was equally as influencial as Gray, Young & Thorn probably our best central defence partnership ever and same goes for Wright n Bright up top and still think Wright wouldn't of been the player he was without Bright's guidance. What astute management by SSC spotting & getting Bright in from Leicesters reserves.:p. And Salad of course injury deprived him of more caps.

We did pick up some bargains back then. Didn't Geoff Thomas cost £75k paid from the Lifeline money?

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:39 AM
We did pick up some bargains back then. Didn't Geoff Thomas cost £75k paid from the Lifeline money?

Think your getting fee mixed up with Brighty mate as he cost that much and that was definetly LL money . Iircc we payed Rochdale 50k for GT same summer we got Redfern. Yeah we some decent bargains back then.

Billy Rhino
27-09-2015, 09:41 AM

Thomas was £50k from Crewe. It was Redfearn who cost about £75-85k.

Bright cost £75k. Gray was about £3k from Dulwich and Wright from Greenwich Borough was even less (allegedly some token gift).

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Wonder if that goal is on YouTube would've 100% been at game but have no recollection of it:sob:. Was probably pissed as per normal back then :D.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:47 AM

Never under estimate Thorns influence on the defence in keeping us up in that first season back mate. Imo him & the legend that is Martyn was most important signings that season. Delaney is today's Andy Thorn imo :lux: :lux:

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Thomas was £50k from Crewe. It was Redfearn who cost about £75-85k.

Bright cost £75k. Gray was about £3k from Dulwich and Wright from Greenwich Borough was even less (allegedly some token gift).

I know GT started at Crewe but thought we got him from Rochdale unless that was Redfern? & yes he was the bigger fee.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Doh he started at rochdale then went Crewe . That now makes sense as they've never claimed him as one of their own.

the drexciyan
27-09-2015, 12:29 PM
I know GT started at Crewe but thought we got him from Rochdale unless that was Redfern? & yes he was the bigger fee.

Yeah Thomas was from Crewe.

That whole spine of 7 was something else, with the flanks as well it was a proper team as well as outstanding indiviiduals.

Grim Reaper
11-01-2016, 09:08 PM

And Southend were no mugs that year - they went up (as champions I think) from the third tier.

Grim Reaper
11-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Never under estimate Thorns influence on the defence in keeping us up in that first season back mate. Imo him & the legend that is Martyn was most important signings that season. Delaney is today's Andy Thorn imo :lux: :lux:

Exactly right. We hadn't won in 6 weeks. Thorny came in and BAM - 3 points at Old Trafford. One week later BAM again - this time Thorny even scored as we beat the Clowns. Three days later and we were beating the Clowns AGAIN - this time in the ZDS. Draw v Chelsea and then another win to round off 1989. His impact was instant and vital to arrest the slump that we found ourselves in after a disastrous autumn (Oct/Nov)

DARZET EAGLE
11-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Thorn was a rock and one of the best centre half's we have ever had, other than maybe Len Choules.:)

mushroom
11-01-2016, 11:30 PM
My friend told me that Ninja had a stutter when he was nervous or stressed, and that's why he never did interviews.

Grim Reaper
11-01-2016, 11:35 PM
My friend told me that Ninja had a stutter when he was nervous or stressed, and that's why he never did interviews.

What incredible timing on your part. Just been continuing to write the One More Point book and in the last hour, I've covered the Ninja and his lack of interviews. Here's an excerpt after the Millwall game in 1994

"Despite all the scare stories, Selhurst wasn’t a bloodbath after all. Post-match we figured the Cherry Trees would be shut on police advice so tried the Player’s Lounge trick again and managed to get in. It turned out to be an eventful couple of beers.

First up was Eric Young who came out and started signing autographs. As he did so I noticed he didn’t speak. It then occurred to me at that moment that in four years at Palace, I’d never heard him speak. Never on telly, never on Capital Gold. Never! Tommy reminded me at that point of the strange Alan Smith comment about ‘The Ninja’ that had appeared in ‘90 Minutes’ that week. Accompanying a one-page poster of the Ninja had been a comment from Smithy that went along the lines of, ‘None of us have ever seen Eric’s house. When we pick him up for away games, he gets us to pick him up from near a lake. It makes you wonder!’

Putting my journalist skills to use, I decided to kill two birds with one stone by getting Eric to speak and also get to the bottom of this mysterious lake comment.

“Hi Eric. Did you hear about appearing in 90 Minutes?”
“I heard about it. I haven’t seen it yet,” replied the Ninja, whose voice was just incredibly normal after that four-year build-up.
“Is it true?” I asked with a smile on my face.

That smile disappeared sharpish when The Ninja just glared back at me. No more words from him. Just an icy stare that I translated as ‘stay out of my business.’ That bloke was scary! I suddenly remembered it was my round and headed to the bar before Eric decided plant one of his legendary elbows in the back of my head."

So thanks to you, I can now add in a part that a bloke called Mushroom says it's because Ninja stuttered! Great stuff :lux:

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-01-2016, 11:53 PM
What incredible timing on your part. Just been continuing to write the One More Point book and in the last hour, I've covered the Ninja and his lack of interviews. Here's an excerpt after the Millwall game in 1994

"Despite all the scare stories, Selhurst wasn’t a bloodbath after all. Post-match we figured the Cherry Trees would be shut on police advice so tried the Player’s Lounge trick again and managed to get in. It turned out to be an eventful couple of beers.

First up was Eric Young who came out and started signing autographs. As he did so I noticed he didn’t speak. It then occurred to me at that moment that in four years at Palace, I’d never heard him speak. Never on telly, never on Capital Gold. Never! Tommy reminded me at that point of the strange Alan Smith comment about ‘The Ninja’ that had appeared in ‘90 Minutes’ that week. Accompanying a one-page poster of the Ninja had been a comment from Smithy that went along the lines of, ‘None of us have ever seen Eric’s house. When we pick him up for away games, he gets us to pick him up from near a lake. It makes you wonder!’

Putting my journalist skills to use, I decided to kill two birds with one stone by getting Eric to speak and also get to the bottom of this mysterious lake comment.

“Hi Eric. Did you hear about appearing in 90 Minutes?”
“I heard about it. I haven’t seen it yet,” replied the Ninja, whose voice was just incredibly normal after that four-year build-up.
“Is it true?” I asked with a smile on my face.

That smile disappeared sharpish when The Ninja just glared back at me. No more words from him. Just an icy stare that I translated as ‘stay out of my business.’ That bloke was scary! I suddenly remembered it was my round and headed to the bar before Eric decided plant one of his legendary elbows in the back of my head."

So thanks to you, I can now add in a part that a bloke called Mushroom says it's because Ninja stuttered! Great stuff :lux:

Did you see the comments about him at the very end of the Wimbledon Crazy Gang documentary that came out a year or so ago?

I once spotted him in the car park at Palace (maybe at an open day, maybe after a match) and went up to him. I was probably about 11 years old. I asked for an autograph and told him that I liked him so much that "I've even named my hamster 'Ninja' after you!" He just looked uncomfortable and awkward, said OK, got in his car and drove off.
I had this image of him as this ferocious, powerful giant yet he seemed to be scared of me - aged 10 or 11.

Grim Reaper
12-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Did you see the comments about him at the very end of the Wimbledon Crazy Gang documentary that came out a year or so ago?

No....but I'll try and seek it out now.

Maybe his time at Brighton messed his head up!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-01-2016, 09:25 AM
He was on standby for the umbro cup (England/Brazil/Japan & Sweden)

BTW: McGoldrick was a cracking sweeper - best player on the pitch at Anfield in 91' and so unlucky with an own goal. Eddie always loved to celebrate a goal with the crowd :lux:

Yes, thanks for almost causing us to stampede ourselves to death at the Ewood Park playoff game, Eddie

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-01-2016, 09:31 AM
I was a big fan of Andy Gray, but Thomas was far more consistent and a much more integral member of the team.

Andy had some stinkers from time to time, and was not always 100% focussed!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM
No....but I'll try and seek it out now.

Maybe his time at Brighton messed his head up!

They just say how no one knew anything about him or where he is now - also that he was the only player the film makers couldn't make any contact with.

DARZET EAGLE
12-01-2016, 06:16 PM
They just say how no one knew anything about him or where he is now - also that he was the only player the film makers couldn't make any contact with.

I believe Eric is an accountant.

Ardent Eagle Forever
13-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Latest from Wiki re Eric Young - "He is now working as an accountant in a construction based company in Heathrow."

Vince Hilaire's Afro
13-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Latest from Wiki re Eric Young - "He is now working as an accountant in a construction based company in Heathrow."

Perfect.

"ummmm....Eric.... these numbers just don't seem to add up...."

*stare*

"I'm sure it's fine"

Grim Reaper
13-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Perfect.

"ummmm....Eric.... these numbers just don't seem to add up...."

*stare*

"I'm sure it's fine"

:D:D:p

Grim Reaper
13-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Even the way Eric left was mysterious. He'd been a big signing; crowd favourite for five years and when we had the exodus in 1995 (Shaw/Salako/Coleman/Dowie/Young) the Ninja was the only one who seemed to just melt away.

I don't remember it being reported and then the next thing we know there he is playing for Wolves against us a few months later.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Even the way Eric left was mysterious. He'd been a big signing; crowd favourite for five years and when we had the exodus in 1995 (Shaw/Salako/Coleman/Dowie/Young) the Ninja was the only one who seemed to just melt away.

I don't remember it being reported and then the next thing we know there he is playing for Wolves against us a few months later.

Compare it to these days, when people we don't even buy or sell have 200 page threads about their non transfers.

Back then, sometimes the first thing you knew about someone coming or going was when they did or didn't come out of the tunnel. There'd be hushed, confused conversations about who the **** was playing at left back etc

Grim Reaper
14-01-2016, 08:39 AM
So true, Afro.

Anyone who was at QPR in 1992 can atest to that.

"Whatsyername, Whatsyername, give us a wave!" we sang to the mysterious goalie who appeared from nowhere. We had four goalies (Martyn, Glass, Suckling, Woodman) and suddenly none were available in a crazy 48 hour period.

Turns out the mystery goalie was young Neil Sullivan loaned to us as an emergency from Wimbledon overnight.

Now, there'd be a 5 page discussion on it.

Latvian Eagle
14-01-2016, 08:45 AM
So true, Afro.

Anyone who was at QPR in 1992 can atest to that.

"Whatsyername, Whatsyername, give us a wave!" we sang to the mysterious goalie who appeared from nowhere. We had four goalies (Martyn, Glass, Suckling, Woodman) and suddenly none were available in a crazy 48 hour period.

Turns out the mystery goalie was young Neil Sullivan loaned to us as an emergency from Wimbledon overnight.

Now, there'd be a 5 page discussion on it.

Nige had been putting off a hernia operation for ages and just couldn't wait any longer, Perry had injured his back in the days leading up to the game hence the emergency loan.

Woody had broken his leg a few months earlier, and Jimmy Glass broke both of his wrists, according to my old goalkeeper coach who was in the Palace set up at the time due to poor technique.

Grim Reaper
14-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Nige had been putting off a hernia operation for ages and just couldn't wait any longer, Perry had injured his back in the days leading up to the game hence the emergency loan.

Woody had broken his leg a few months earlier, and Jimmy Glass broke both of his wrists, according to my old goalkeeper coach who was in the Palace set up at the time due to poor technique.

Suckling I believe was on loan in Hong Kong so couldn't get back in time.

stevek
14-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Lost 1-0 to a Humphrey og iirc.

Latvian Eagle
14-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Suckling I believe was on loan in Hong Kong so couldn't get back in time.

I think you might be right. Think the hernia was another time. I think Nigel had done his back in.

jaspercpfc
14-01-2016, 11:26 AM
I think you might be right. Think the hernia was another time. I think Nigel had done his back in.

I'm sure I read in Jimmy Glass's autobiography that he'd been promised he'd start that game, only to get injured couple of days prior.
In 92/93 we had another random keeper on our books - Paul Heald was on loan/trial for a fair few months. Along with Louis Donowa and Martin Thomas (another keeper)

Wonder if that goal is on YouTube would've 100% been at game but have no recollection of it:sob:. Was probably pissed as per normal back then :D.

Have a look at 46mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRvMzD1UKI

on a side note look at those scenes when Salako scores at the Dell (35.26) carnage :lux::lux::lux:

Latvian Eagle
14-01-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm sure I read in Jimmy Glass's autobiography that he'd been promised he'd start that game, only to get injured couple of days prior.
In 92/93 we had another random keeper on our books - Paul Heald was on loan/trial for a fair few months. Along with Louis Donowa and Martin Thomas (another keeper)

Have a look at 46mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRvMzD1UKI

on a side note look at those scenes when Salako scores at the Dell (35.26) carnage :lux::lux::lux:

Paul Heald had a spell at Wimbledon too.

Jimmy definitely done both of his wrists. It's bugging me now what Paul told me he done, but there we go.

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Along with Louis Donowa and Martin Thomas (another keeper)

Quality memory there. I forgot about those two. Donowa was semi-decent at Norwich - I thought he might have been able to work his way into the team at some point

jaspercpfc
15-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Quality memory there. I forgot about those two. Donowa was semi-decent at Norwich - I thought he might have been able to work his way into the team at some point

We were a bit thin on the ground out wide. Salako got injured again, and was ultimately ruled out for the campaign. Eddie was weighing in with a fair few goals, but still occasionally used as a sweeper.
We had Stuart Massey, who came from Sutton United in the summer of 92' but only went onto play a handful of first team games. Andy Barnes another non league recruit was still injured, which effectively saw the likes of Ndah get a chance. From memory I'm sure Donowa played in Malcolm Allison's testimonial that year, but never kicked a ball for the first team

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 12:53 PM
We were a bit thin on the ground out wide. Salako got injured again, and was ultimately ruled out for the campaign. Eddie was weighing in with a fair few goals, but still occasionally used as a sweeper.
We had Stuart Massey, who came from Sutton United in the summer of 92' but only went onto play a handful of first team games. Andy Barnes another non league recruit was still injured, which effectively saw the likes of Ndah get a chance. From memory I'm sure Donowa played in Malcolm Allison's testimonial that year, but never kicked a ball for the first team

He didn't kick a ball for the first team, that's for sure.

George Ndah came through as one of 'Coppell's Coca Cola Cup Kids' and ultimately went on to a reasonable career unlike Grant Watts who also briefly starred in the Coca Cola run that season (2 crucial goals in big ties) but unfortunately never went on to great things.

DARZET EAGLE
15-01-2016, 06:28 PM
I would certainly like a 'Wrighty' type in now with his pace and eye for goal.

SA Eagle
15-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Paul Heald had a spell at Wimbledon too.

Jimmy definitely done both of his wrists. It's bugging me now what Paul told me he done, but there we go.

In his autobiography, Glass put his wrist injury down to the state of the balls used in training.

Latvian Eagle
15-01-2016, 10:52 PM
In his autobiography, Glass put his wrist injury down to the state of the balls used in training.

Lol knowing Alan Smith who was of course Assistant Manager at the time he probably pumped the balls up to be rock solid. I found Paul Gunn online not long ago. I might track him down and find out.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
20-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Wrong thread

DARZET EAGLE
20-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Wrong thread

Yes we have meandered a little, anyway back to the best spine we have ever enjoyed.:love:

cranesparkeagle
25-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Think the defensive part of the spine is pretty good. Up front not so

DARZET EAGLE
25-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Think the defensive part of the spine is pretty good. Up front not so

Really, who would you rather than Wrighty....AJ, Swindles. Armstrong,Bright. Your age suggests than you would not recall Holton or Byrne but I can, and they were fabulous too.