PDA

View Full Version : Crystal palace 87-88

AddoWolz
05-04-2015, 10:47 AM
That season we scored 86 league goals ( a total we haven't beaten since )
We ended up finishing 6th again after finishing 6th in 86-87 and 5th in 85-86

I remember we played Ron Atkinson's West brom on a Tuesday night game in early September ( we had just beaten Birmingham City 6-0 away the previous Saturday)

I remember standing at the top of the holmsdale watching Palace take West brom apart , we won 4-1 and I remember thinking we could have had 8 ,
anyone got a match report or any memories of this game or any other game from the 87-88 season

it truly was a fantastic season with palace on fire in front of goal

Louis
05-04-2015, 11:04 AM

I remember we played Ron Atkinson's West brom on a Tuesday night game in early September ( we had just beaten Birmingham City 6-0 away the previous Saturday)

I remember standing at the top of the holmsdale watching Palace take West brom apart , we won 4-1 and I remember thinking we could have had 8
I think the Advertiser headline for the report on that game was "It's all Wright-Bright on the night"

speedylegs
05-04-2015, 11:59 AM

I remember standing at the top of the holmsdale watching Palace take West brom apart , we won 4-1 and I remember thinking we could have had 8 ,
anyone got a match report or any memories of this game or any other game from the 87-88 season

it truly was a fantastic season with palace on fire in front of goal

Agreed a very good season all round, bit of an anti-climax feeling at the end due to Millwall's capitulation on the last game. Have my mate to thank for talking me into driving up for the Birmingham game. George Wood saved a certain equalising goal just before half time which kept us one nil up, second half looked like we were gonna score every time we went forward, not many Brum fans left in the ground as we celebrated Jim Cannon getting the sixth. Always remember 3-2 away win at Reading. Mark Bright scored a fantastic headed goal from a John Salako cross, he shaped to head it powerfully and then glanced it deftly in, leaving their keeper rooted to the spot and just watching it go past him, lots of good performances that season. Coppell starting to make his mark.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Was at the Birmingham away. The terracing was literally crumbling away during the game. Being used to only ever seeing Palace score at the most two goals in a game, this was a new and frightening experience.

I don't remember the WBA home game even though I was there (!) but I do remember a win at the Hawthorns courtesy of a beautiful last minute lob over the keeper from Mark Bright (this might have been a later season).

The final game against Man City was a bit weird because a false report seemed to have come out on the radio from the Millwall game which made it sound like we'd made the playoffs. But we didn't. That game was a rare televised one, I think it's probably on YouTube somewhere. Actually I saw the six goals from the brum game on here somewhere too

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Agreed a very good season all round, bit of an anti-climax feeling at the end due to Millwall's capitulation on the last game. Have my mate to thank for talking me into driving up for the Birmingham game. George Wood saved a certain equalising goal just before half time which kept us one nil up, second half looked like we were gonna score every time we went forward, not many Brum fans left in the ground as we celebrated Jim Cannon getting the sixth. Always remember 3-2 away win at Reading. Mark Bright scored a fantastic headed goal from a John Salako cross, he shaped to head it powerfully and then glanced it deftly in, leaving their keeper rooted to the spot and just watching it go past him, lots of good performances that season. Coppell starting to make his mark.

Was the Reading game the one with the torrential downpour and Paul Brush collapsing on the floor due to injury? Their winger just dribbled around him to set up a goal. We were 2-0 down. We always took a lot of fans and made a lot of noise at elm park. Great little ground

cpfcpaulo2
05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I always remember that week.

Went to Brum on the Saturday and stayed over with 4 mates in Leamington Spa at a student house I still had the keys for. Huge night and lock in at a pub called Kelly's.

Then WBA midweek and I think 3-1 home v Boro the next Saturday. We were unplayable that week and probably the only time I've seen us score 13 league goals in 7 days.

cpfcpaulo2
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Actually, just checked and it went Boro Tuesday, Brum away on the Saturday and then WBA home on the Tuesday.

dim
05-04-2015, 08:50 PM
The Boro and WBA games always stick with me - great performances. Remember getting surrounded by Boro on Thornton Heath high road when walking home one of them squirted lighter fuel over the three of us. It had all looked a bit iffy at the roundabout when they all piled over the crossing.. my mate Clive, who was with us at the time, slipped into the George (sixth sense) I think. It was a bit scary when they were striking matches when their "leader" said leave them, they're only kids.......... Thank Christ for that, wouldn't have fancied it otherwise.

Norman Nigel
05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
The Boro and WBA games always stick with me - great performances. Remember getting surrounded by Boro on Thornton Heath high road when walking home one of them squirted lighter fuel over the three of us. It had all looked a bit iffy at the roundabout when they all piled over the crossing.. my mate Clive, who was with us at the time, slipped into the George (sixth sense) I think. It was a bit scary when they were striking matches when their "leader" said leave them, they're only kids.......... Thank Christ for that, wouldn't have fancied it otherwise.

Where is Thornton Heath high road ?

dim
05-04-2015, 09:26 PM
High street even.....

whyteleafeeagle
05-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the 32 Palace fans that were involved in the dawn raids in 87 http://z11.invisionfree.com/MUCKERS/ar/t985.htm

Norman Nigel
05-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the 32 Palace fans that were involved in the dawn raids in 87 http://z11.invisionfree.com/MUCKERS/ar/t985.htm

Do you want names and addresses ?

King William
06-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Was at the Birmingham away. The terracing was literally crumbling away during the game. Being used to only ever seeing Palace score at the most two goals in a game, this was a new and frightening experience.

I don't remember the WBA home game even though I was there (!) but I do remember a win at the Hawthorns courtesy of a beautiful last minute lob over the keeper from Mark Bright (this might have been a later season).

The final game against Man City was a bit weird because a false report seemed to have come out on the radio from the Millwall game which made it sound like we'd made the playoffs. But we didn't. That game was a rare televised one, I think it's probably on YouTube somewhere. Actually I saw the six goals from the brum game on here somewhere too

The man city home game wasn't live on TV I don't think.

Norvun Mankey
06-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Was featured game on The Big Match

old geezer
06-04-2015, 07:36 AM
I always remember that week.

Went to Brum on the Saturday and stayed over with 4 mates in Leamington Spa at a student house I still had the keys for. Huge night and lock in at a pub called Kelly's.

Then WBA midweek and I think 3-1 home v Boro the next Saturday. We were unplayable that week and probably the only time I've seen us score 13 league goals in 7 days.

We did have two back to back 6-1 wins under Bassett (Reading away and I think Southend home - not sure on home game) and saw both of these

Gooders
06-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Shrewsbury away - lost 2-0
Shrewsbury home - lost 2-1

Standard

Isle of Wight
06-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Shrewsbury away - lost 2-0
Shrewsbury home - lost 2-1

Standard

God they were our Bogey team weren't they:(
I still look at their results to make sure they are not creeping back into a division we are in, as a nervous kind of reaction. I think we're safe for a few more years :)

speedylegs
06-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Was the Reading game the one with the torrential downpour and Paul Brush collapsing on the floor due to injury? Their winger just dribbled around him to set up a goal. We were 2-0 down. We always took a lot of fans and made a lot of noise at elm park. Great little ground

Yes it was pretty wet, their winger that day was Neill Smillie who ran past Paul Brush in agony on the floor, think a young Richard Shaw replaced him at full back.

ANTEAGLE
06-04-2015, 08:06 AM
I still look at their results to make sure they are not creeping back into a division we are in, as a nervous kind of reaction. I think we're safe for a few more years :)

Randomly I know three Shrewsbury fans and they really have no idea that their name makes Palace fans of a certain age shudder!

thereichstuff
06-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Randomly I know three Shrewsbury fans and they really have no idea that their name makes Palace fans of a certain age shudder!

It's weird , I always look out for their results . We just couldn't beat them could we :)

Bizarro
06-04-2015, 08:32 AM
I have nightmares about drawing Shrewsbury in the cup. Did we lose to them in our charge up the table in 89?

may blunderer
06-04-2015, 08:38 AM
I remember the 6-0 at Birmingham well. Julian Dicks was playing for them and Ian Wright just took him apart. Dicks couldn't get near him. I think the second half was the best Palace attacking display I've seen in my 40 years of going. I remember buying all the Sunday papers the next day and Ian Wright got a 10 out of 10 in the Sunday People. If I recall correctly (but I might be wrong) Wright didn't even score that day but he was incredible.

orp pisshead1
06-04-2015, 09:13 AM

With that wonderful comment from a disgruntled bluenose " yow a disgrace to the midlands blues":lux:.

cpfcpaulo2
06-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I remember the 6-0 at Birmingham well. Julian Dicks was playing for them and Ian Wtight just took him apart. Dicks couldn't get near him. I think the second half was the best Palace attacking display I've seen in my 40 years of going. I remember buying all the Sunday papers the next day and Ian Wright got a 10 out of 10 in the Sunday People. If I recall correctly (but I might be wrong) Wright didn't even score that day but he was incredible.

We were sat in the Woodman in South Croydon about 1pm and said, come on let's go. Got there at half time and we were 1-0 up through Bright. Thought we'd missed the only likely goal.

Second half were superb, kicking towards us. Nice as year before I'd gone to a 4-1 drubbing at the same ground only brightened up by a 30 yarder by Ticker Taylor.

orp pisshead1
06-04-2015, 09:15 AM
I have nightmares about drawing Shrewsbury in the cup. Did we lose to them in our charge up the table in 89?

Yep 2-1 away game where the away support tore into team at final whistle, think we drew at home. Even if we get em next season at home in cup with full strength team I'd back them to win:D.

Polak
06-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I worked out that with the timings of the goals in the Birmingham and West Brom games, we scored 10 goals in 90 minutes. However, that could be the fanciful thinking of an alcohol addled brain.

DARZET EAGLE
06-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I worked out that with the timings of the goals in the Birmingham and West Brom games, we scored 10 goals in 90 minutes. However, that could be the fanciful thinking of an alcohol addled brain.

Like when Palace beat Accrington Stanley 9-0 in 1960. Proven result in 90 minutes!

Super Mabbutt
06-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Goals from the Birmingham game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvYj4hq8DI

Norman Nigel
06-04-2015, 10:16 AM
It's weird , I always look out for their results . We just couldn't beat them could we :)

4-2

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-04-2015, 12:08 PM
The man city home game wasn't live on TV I don't think.

No it was a regular sat game, we just weren't featured much in those days

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes it was pretty wet, their winger that day was Neill Smillie who ran past Paul Brush in agony on the floor, think a young Richard Shaw replaced him at full back.

It's funny the things I remember (vaguely). I seem to reclall an early Shaw appearance away to Shrewsbury, and him heading the ball off the line from a corner. Before we lost, obviously. To add insult to injury, that might even have been the year the game was originally called off?

ElwissAtMemphis
06-04-2015, 12:38 PM

The scoring went 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. The Reading winger that caused us the most bother was Michael Gilkes who I think scored. He always seemed to cause us problems and should have gone on to a glittering career but he never really fulfilled his potential.

The Palace team in the first couple of months (before Andy Gray left) were probably better than the side that went up the following season. They were miles better than 2 seasons earlier but we somehow managed to finish 5th that season. I guess the league got a lot stronger.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
The scoring went 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. The Reading winger that caused us the most bother was Michael Gilkes who I think scored. He always seemed to cause us problems and should have gone on to a glittering career but he never really fulfilled his potential.

The Palace team in the first couple of months (before Andy Gray left) were probably better than the side that went up the following season. They were miles better than 2 seasons earlier but we somehow managed to finish 5th that season. I guess the league got a lot stronger.

Gilkes was a good player. Didn't he have a brother called Eugene?

I could have sworn we went 2-0 down in that Reading game and hammered in all our goals in the second half.

art malice
06-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I thought we'd blown our biggest chance at promotion that season. I should have known better.

simon
06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Gilkes was a good player. Didn't he have a brother called Eugene?

I could have sworn we went 2-0 down in that Reading game and hammered in all our goals in the second half.

That was the Saturday after, or maybe the one after that, at Bournemouth. 2-0 down, and then 3-2 up before half time. Could have been 10 in the second half we had so many chances. Fireworks in the park afterwards too if I remember correctly.

orp pisshead1
06-04-2015, 05:04 PM
It's funny the things I remember (vaguely). I seem to reclall an early Shaw appearance away to Shrewsbury, and him heading the ball off the line from a corner. Before we lost, obviously. To add insult to injury, that might even have been the year the game was originally called off?

Was the re match midweek? As went the called off game and got as far as new street:sob:.

Maiden Eagle
07-04-2015, 04:30 PM

Now that CPFC have banished the demons of Man City, Shrewsbury have reverted to being our arch bogey team - The B*stards !!

They did the double over us in 87/8 (as normal!)

the drexciyan
07-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I recall 87-88 as the season we became seriously good and promotion was a serious possibility. Apart from the Birmingham away game and our lethal forward line I recall the 2 Man City games. We beat them 3-1 up there when Nixon was sent off and it was a massive controversy, then we played them last game of the season at selhurst and it was a baking hot May day. There was a real sense of optimism that day for next year. As an aside, that was the game 'The Firm' filmed their scene when 'The Yeti' walked into the old stand off the street.

Man City 1 Palace 3

g1b2ZS2vpn8

El Aguila
07-04-2015, 05:46 PM

Actually I noticed yesterday that they were looking like certs for promotion and will be only two divisions away. Scary.

We thrashed a few teams that season, I'm not quite sure how come we missed out on the play offs - was that the year Andy Gray left us controversially and triggered a really bad run?

headliner
07-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Like when Palace beat Accrington Stanley 9-0 in 1960. Proven result in 90 minutes!

Ahem........ 9 - 2 ......... (My first palace match).

Worksop Palace
07-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Goals from the Birmingham game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvYj4hq8DI

Yellows
Yellows
Yellows
Yellows

Happy days

AddoWolz
08-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Come on Mr king , surely you've got a match report on the 4-1 win over West Brom in 87 ?

fish finger
08-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Talking of the Shrewsbury curse, anyone remember an away game that got cancelled very late. Was on the way up on the train and it was announced when the train got to Coventry. not sure if it was this season or not

David of Kent
08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I recall 87-88 as the season we became seriously good and promotion was a serious possibility. Apart from the Birmingham away game and our lethal forward line I recall the 2 Man City games. We beat them 3-1 up there when Nixon was sent off and it was a massive controversy, then we played them last game of the season at selhurst and it was a baking hot May day. There was a real sense of optimism that day for next year. As an aside, that was the game 'The Firm' filmed their scene when 'The Yeti' walked into the old stand off the street.

Man City 1 Palace 3

g1b2ZS2vpn8

Duplicate of below

David of Kent
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM

Man City 1 Palace 3

g1b2ZS2vpn8

That was fantastic. What an intense afternoon the away game was. They were trying to start fights all over the pitch but we kept our discipline. They had been thrashing everyone before that but collapsed following this game. I think they put 10 in against Huddersfield just before our visit

the drexciyan
08-04-2015, 10:11 PM
That was fantastic. What an intense afternoon the away game was. They were trying to start fights all over the pitch but we kept our discipline. They had been thrashing everyone before that but collapsed following this game. I think they put 10 in against Huddersfield just before our visit

Yes they'd beaten Huddersfield 10-1 and had the Flitcroft brothers, Paul Lake, Paul Stewart and a decent young team coming together. It was quite a result and a really physical game, to say the least!