PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years ago today,Sunday April 8th 1990

Ismale
08-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Needs no introduction really does it?? ;) :lux:

It must quite simply,be the most amazing 120 minutes in our history & wrote our current gaffer into Palace folklore forevermore! :love:

give us all your memories of that wonderful day :p

Chocky
08-04-2015, 11:29 AM
25 years. That is scary! I remember every single minute of that day from getting up early and waiting at the bus stop to get to train station to catch the Special to the massive piss up and sing songs when we got back to the pub. The train back was so quiet, everyone was completely done in until the train came towards London and we could see Wembley then the songs broke out again. Best Palace day ever and there have been some amazing ones over the years.

Golf Boy
08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
In the Holte end, near the front. between the goal and the corner flag. When Bright equalised I'm not sure i've ever jumped around so much. What a goal it was too.

FourtyTwo
08-04-2015, 11:35 AM
So, given it was a noon kick off, we're currently 1-0 down :(

knowlesyUCLA
08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I remember crying my eyes out in front of the tv while my Dad went absolutely mental. I was only 3 at the time, mind.

garronrav
08-04-2015, 11:41 AM
25 years. That is scary! I remember every single minute of that day from getting up early and waiting at the bus stop to get to train station to catch the Special to the massive piss up and sing songs when we got back to the pub. The train back was so quiet, everyone was completely done in until the train came towards London and we could see Wembley then the songs broke out again. Best Palace day ever and there have been some amazing ones over the years.

The train was quiet Chocky, I put that down to everyone being emotionally and physically spent, also some lad had a little battery operated portable tv and a few of us crowded around him watching Oldham v The Wankers.

Justy C
08-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I still remember so much about that day but for some reason two moments stand out in my head.

The silence in the ground when the ball fell to O'Reilly before he smashed the ball in for our second goal.

And barely being able to celebrate at the final whistle. I was exhausted, shattered, and couldn't believe what we had just watched.

I'll never go to a better game of football than that. Perfection.

Chobham Eagle
08-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Still can't get over the fact that I missed this game because I was living in Chicago at the time. :sob::sob::sob:

old geezer
08-04-2015, 11:48 AM
A day of agony, ecstasy, agony and the ultimate ecstasy thanks to super Al

Golf Boy
08-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Thank god Rush got injured. He was running us ragged. Whoever crocked him won us the game.

FourtyTwo
08-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Thank god Rush got injured. He was running us ragged. Whoever crocked him won us the game.

Yup - what my Dad has always said. Being 9 at the time I didn't really pick up on things such as that, and haven't seen the whole match back since to see just how much trouble he was causing.

Of course, Rush still being on wouldn't have stopped the equaliser, but who knows how the game would have gone!

N Herts Eagle
08-04-2015, 12:00 PM
About now on the TV Wilkins is laughing at the Big Mal interview......

Supa Pard
08-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Up there with one of the greatest days of my life. Certainly in the top 3 as a Palace fan.

That day will go with me to my grave.

garronrav
08-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Brucie, Brucie, what's the score,
Brucie what's the score?

:lux:

Olympian2
08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
2nd half just about to start. Matey next to me sits down with the pie he's just bought. 30 seconds later I simultaneously experience the most amazing exhilaration (Brighty's equalizer, obviously) & the most intense burning pain (looking down, I notice the contents of Matey's pie are clamped to my bare arm after he's understandably cast it into the air).

EagleSE24
08-04-2015, 12:31 PM
I knew I liked Palace back then but I knew very little of professional football. I remember randomly turning on the TV and thinking 'Wow - Palace must be alright if they're allowed to play Liverpool'. Finally worked out it was a cup semi-final and was then glued to the game and couldn't believe we had won.

Come the final replay I was fighting back the tears at full-time with my parents looking perplexed as they had never followed anyone or got even remotely worked up about sport. Now my dad has a season ticket along with me.

Selhurst Celtic
08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I remember every single minute of that day

I don't regret much in life, but drinking yet another 2 litre bottle of Olde Engerlish cider in the minibus on the way to Birmingham has made my memory of this glorious day a wee bit patchy. I do recall going absolutely batshitcrazy when Bright scored though, almost accepting that the game was up after the penalty and being bizarrely confident during extra time. Very 'un-Palace' that last one.

mik59
08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I was working that day, on a video edit, so did not go but I got so worked up about missing it that I went onto Oxford Street to buy an indoor arial and convinced the two editors to stop to watch the game. Neither were really football fans but both were entranced, and one proclaimed that not only was it the best sporting event he'd seen but possibly the best live TV event ever. I left the edit suite late in the evening but was still bouncing and singing as I got the tube home.

Field Marshall
08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Very likely the best game I have witnessed.
It was a fantastic sunny day in Birmingham and it was Palace heaven. If only it had been the final, the joy would have been complete.
The only other game that rivals it for me was the 2 . 0 win against Burnley in '79 but that was great for other reasons.
There have been other games that were important but what is lost in the passing of time for the neutral is the context of the Liverpool win.

Supa Pard
08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
I was at Anfield a few months prior to our victory. Where we got beat by 9 to nothing.
The win at Villa Park was so significant as we stopped them doing the double.

The game at Norwich on a Tuesday night, the same week as our win in Birmingham, proved to be not that important in the end. We lost that night. 2-0 I think, I was there, as not only did we stay up despite that away result but we started the rot of the Anfield dynasty.

Worksop Palace
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Simply the day that summed being a Palace fan up to perfection.

Car to sheff, bus from sheffield to brum. Huge walk from bus station to VP and back. Car had been broken in to and wrecked when i got back to sheffield. couldn't have cared less. Got home and went straight out in to town in my colours and got absolutely bongoed. Bought every single newspaper the day after and all the match reports adorned my wall with every other (winning only!) match reports from 1980 onwards.

Truly happy days

cpfcpaulo2
08-04-2015, 01:01 PM
I was at Anfield a few months prior to our victory. Where we got beat by 9 to nothing.
The win at Villa Park was so significant as we stopped them doing the double.

The game at Norwich on a Tuesday night, the same week as our win in Birmingham, proved to be not that important in the end. We lost that night. 2-0 I think, I was there, as not only did we stay up despite that away result but we started the rot of the Anfield dynasty.

I decided to go to Australia for a year after going to the Anfield 9-0.

My dad and older brother went to Villa Park. I was living in a flat in Sydney and hadn't really followed the game as I thought we'd get thumped. One of my flatmates, with vague Charlton allegiances, spoke to her parents at FT and told me it was 3-3. I was in state of shock and sat up until midnight when the phone went.

It was my kid brother telling me we'd won 4-3. I said thanks but I can't physically talk now.

I sat there for ages. Didn't have the money to fly back for the final. THE Palace game that I missed (I was at Soton 76, Burnley 79, Burnley 83, POs in 89, 96, 97, 2005, 2013) but I only had the stories for this one.

Chobham Eagle
08-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I decided to go to Australia for a year after going to the Anfield 9-0.

My dad and older brother went to Villa Park. I was living in a flat in Sydney and hadn't really followed the game as I thought we'd get thumped. One of my flatmates, with vague Charlton allegiances, spoke to her parents at FT and told me it was 3-3. I was in state of shock and sat up until midnight when the phone went.

It was my kid brother telling me we'd won 4-3. I said thanks but I can't physically talk now.

I sat there for ages. Didn't have the money to fly back for the final. THE Palace game that I missed (I was at Soton 76, Burnley 79, Burnley 83, POs in 89, 96, 97, 2005, 2013) but I only had the stories for this one.

I know the feeling. And back in those days it was almost impossible to find out what was going on unless you were prepared to spend a lot on international phone calls!

CPFC2010ANDON
08-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I was, unfortunately, too young at this time to be as enthralled by Palace then, particularly as my family were not football-mad. I just about remember the end of that team though, when Wright left etc.

It was to be a couple more seasons before I really got the Palace bug, thanks to a friend who paid for me to go those days. A good friend whom I remember with gratitude. A 2-1 defeat to Swindon Town with Mark Walters scoring a double and getting sent-off, all after we went 1-0 up, if I remember correctly.

I have since shared many fond moments, but I envy those of you who were part of this day, and this era. It's thanks to that day, and that era, that I have always considered myself lucky to support such a fantastic team.

The highs, and the lows. Memories forever.

cpfcpaulo2
08-04-2015, 02:03 PM
I know the feeling. And back in those days it was almost impossible to find out what was going on unless you were prepared to spend a lot on international phone calls!

I was in Australia from Jan 90 to Dec 90 and we hardly lost a game in that time (end of the 89/90 season and start of the best-ever 90/91 season).

I used to phone my mum and dad in Warlingham every Sun morning (Oz time) to say hello, and get the Palace result. Lots of big wins at the end of the 88/89 season.

Used to buy a newspaper called British Soccer Weekly for all the reports.

The cup final itself was another story - 12 hours drinking then watching the game with 2 Brit lasses/2Aussie lads (one who was a Palace fan from a stint over here) who we'd met in the pub as one had a Palace top on. They'd all conked out by the time Palace took the lead in ET. Still hurts.

bubbs11
08-04-2015, 02:22 PM
lRc7PfQBB5A

For those who are interested: I will be uploading a new Palace minute very soon. Aptly, it's a tribute of sorts to our hero from that day and today.

Maiden Eagle
08-04-2015, 02:28 PM
An incredible game, which to start with, I even wasn't going to bother to go to, as I felt we had no chance and most of my Palace pals thought the same
and were giving it a miss, especially as the game was live on TV, which was not the norm in those days.

However, a friend who lived in the midlands who supported Birmingham City,
said he fancied going to the match and persuaded me to go.

Just after I'd changed my mind, we beat Villa (then challenging strongly for the title) 1-0 and although it wasn't pretty, I began to believe we could beat L'pool, as I felt they wouldn't fancy our very much 'up and at em' style.

How right I was ! - but I didn't realise how dramatically the game would pan out as it did.

And I clearly remember at half time, although we were down, my midlands mate saying 'I reckon Palace will win this, cos Liverpool look complacent'.

Great, great memories:)

IanH
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Very amusing weekend - I went up at lunchtime on the Saturday with a mate and by the time we met up with the rest of our crowd at Birmingham New Street in the evening we were in a dreadful mess. We befriended some Villa fans who came back to our hotel bar and drank in there until 6-ish in the morning and the Villa fans crashed on the floors of the rooms in the hotel. A couple of them then came to the game with us and got tickets in our end (sadly it wasn't a sell out). They said afterwards that it was the loudest they had ever heard the Holte End at Villa and we only had half of it!

Was the best game I had ever been to before the Brighton away play-off game.

Yoda
08-04-2015, 02:52 PM
It was so sweet because it was sooo unexpected. Having been at the 9-0, I did think Palace had improved and it wouldn't be such carnage, but never anticipated we'd win like we did.

Flash memories stick out:-

- early start, sunny day
- Liverpool complacent when they scored first goal
- sad seeing Wright on crutches
- Pembo's run
- amazed we equalised
- Liverpool getting the 50/50 ref decisions
- Liverpool players going nuts when they scored their third (blimey, they look relieved!)
- screaming Oh My God, every time we score
- man throwing small child above his head
- disbelief
- Wrighty coming on pitch, crutches and big coat flapping
- I love you right now Steve Coppell!
- driving home, seeing cars abandoned by fans on the roadsides
- service stations full of happy Palace fans with flags, flags and more flags
- red and blue everywhere
- get home on a cloud of euphoria and watch it all again
- Monday morning, put the tabloids on the desk of a Livepool work colleague
- hoarse for 3 days!

Selhurst Celtic
08-04-2015, 02:58 PM
especially as the game was live on TV, which was not the norm in those days.

I was told that it was the first time that the FA Cup semi finals were televised. Not sure if that's true but what a way to start if so.

art malice
08-04-2015, 03:00 PM
I was told that it was the first time that the FA Cup semi finals were televised. Not sure if that's true but what a way to start if so.

Yeah, was a year after Hillsborough. So let's make it a noon kick-off. Fvckwits.

Supa Pard
08-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Remember Coppell being interviewed just before the semi. We'd been beaten 9-0 away and 2-0 (I think) at home.
Coppell said that we were improving and by his mathematical reckoning, we should beat them 5-4 in the semi!

IanH
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Yes because there had been a suggestion that one of the causes of Hillsborough might have been fans turning up without tickets they put both semi-finals on live the following year. We won 4-3 and Oldham and Man U then drew 3-3 - one paper on Monday morning described it as the best day of telly since man landed on the moon :)

Supa Pard
08-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Yes because there had been a suggestion that one of the causes of Hillsborough might have been fans turning up without tickets they put both semi-finals on live the following year. We won 4-3 and Oldham and Man U then drew 3-3 - one paper on Monday morning described it as the best day of telly since man landed on the moon :)

Remember that quote well seeing as I bought every single paper on the subject that week.
That particular quote was from the great John Sadler of The Sun, I believe.

Woking Palace
08-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Always remember the date because it was my first wedding anniversary (or I always remember my anniversary because it was the date of the semi), and I had to get special 'permission' to go.

My mate's Mum lived in Solihull, we drove through Brum to her house after the game, scarves out of the windows, people smiling, giving thumbs up and clapping as we drove past.

ElwissAtMemphis
08-04-2015, 03:59 PM

I think it was the first year that both were televised live. Traditionally, one or both were 3:00 Saturday k/o's .

The replayed post-Hillsborough Liverpool v Forest Semi the previous year was televised live. I also remember watching the Coventry v Leeds Semi in 1987 for some reason so it wasn't the first ever.

Worksop Palace
08-04-2015, 04:11 PM

People don't believe me when I tell them this but before the days of the tinterweb et al, I used to go down to the phone box in town with a load of 2 and 10 ps and phone SP for game updates !

Lemming
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Four of us set off to Birmingham on the Saturday. Thought we'd make a night of it before the inevitable defeat on Sunday. Listening to the radio on the way up I won 100 on the Grand National (yippee, a free weekend to numb the pain). Saturday night on the piss and a curry.

Going to the ground I just wished for us to at least get a goal. Stood at the back of the Holte end, looking across at the Scousers behind a thin bit of mesh giving it plenty. At one down I was ready for the floodgates to open. What followed was hard to believe. I was too far back to see Al put the ball in the Scousers net, just a wave of noise and arms coming up the terracing. My legs were like jelly by this point and praying for the final whistle.

Got home in time to see Faldo win the Masters. What a sporting weekend.

Palacetony17
08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Both was shown live, it was a sandwich of football with a filling of a hour omnibus of easterners, that was eastenders was only on twice a week and good.

palaceboy1
08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I had been to the 9-0 drubbing at Anfield earlier in the season and i thought we were unlucky as we missed a pen and hit the woodwork twice . I had my semi ticket but didn,t make up my mind to go until 10.00am on the morning truth be i was scared of another thrashing on live tv. It was said that we had not sold all our tickets but it was rammed where i was and i watched the game with a sort of detachment, half time only 1-0 we might get away with a small loss . I seemed to be in a dream from then on not even upset when we went 3-2 down , it was the only time i heard the scousers singing "you,ll never walk alone" then Gray scored and the scarves went down and you could sense they were finished. I have never been so emotionly drained, strangers were hugging everyone , outside the ground people were in a kind of trance and a lot in tears . It was like a fairytale up until the final . Can it be beaten i hope so

PhuketEagle
08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Remember travelling up to Anfield with a mate, seeing us lose 9-0 then having to suffer the abuse & jokes for months afterwards. No-one thought we could do it..I remember seeing Rush tuck that goal in & put Liverpool 1-0 up at HT. Then second half, everything changed & we banged in 3 goals to take them to ET. Probably the main thing that sticks in my mind were Coppell's on-field team talks for the ET periods. We never looked like losing then, the confidence just oozed & history was written forever!

orp pisshead1
08-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Nothing beats watching my team winning that most amazing game in my home city :lux: of course was at the 9-0 too :).

dave_who_ru
08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
The train back was so quiet, everyone was completely done in until the train came towards London and we could see Wembley then the songs broke out again.

I had forgotten about seeing the twin towers as we neared home. Thanks for reminding me of that again. I felt drained after Monday's game but that semi was something else. A privilege to have been there.

7OaksPalace
08-04-2015, 07:21 PM
So long ago, seems only like 10 years not 25 to me. The saying goes People remember how they felt for longer. We all certainly went through alot of emotions on that day.

The main memory's from the day that stay with me (not the match itself)
1/Crying like a baby at the final whistle
2/ Swapping my Palace ski hat for a traditional African headdress with an African lad on the way back to the station
3/Standing on the platform at Aston station (i think) with Palace fans on 1 side of the tracks and the scousers on the other side, giving a hearty rendition of Wemberlee and watching them squirm
4/Arriving back to Euston and the cauldron of noise during the walk back down the platform to the concourse, feeling like top of the world to all of the Joe Public looking on
5/Getting smashed in Thornton Heath wine bar (cant remember the name) next to Tesco's and that was the last thing I can remember....

Chocky
09-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Like many others and the post here I was also at the 9-0 and it was the most humiliating experience and the stick I got after for ages was terrible. But as always with Palace we always seem to come back one day. I never thought it would be that day when Rush scored. Even when we went 3-2 down I thought at least we had salvaged some pride.

Every time I see Gray's equaliser even now the hairs on the back of my neck stand up knowing what was about to happen.

SUPER ALAN PARDEW!!!!

Fatboy
09-04-2015, 07:16 PM
I still go through the same emotions every time I see the highlights.

Always Offside
09-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Apologies as this only relates to the date but we threw a 3 goal lead away and drew 3-3 to Stockport on this date in 2000. Kuqi was in that Stockport side. I only remember it because I heard that Bernie Grant had died on the way home; I was on Salters Hill when I heard the news.

Am Phibian
09-04-2015, 09:57 PM
We sold 14,500 tickets out of the 16,000 available. There wasn't a general sale. Members only. The terrace was packed as those unsold were in the seating area.

I have never ever celebrated a goal so wildly as Brighty's equalizer and nor do I feel had the other 9,999 around me on the Holte End. One of those where you ended up 50ft away from where you standing.

The best, the finest, the most exciting game away from Selhurst ever. Terracing, beating them, the occasion, the reward.

I was nearly 25 that day. And now it's 25 years later. Unbelievable really.

Wolfnipplechips
09-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Utterly magnificent day.

The birth of my first child is up there.......

Simple&Stupid
09-04-2015, 10:40 PM
I still remember so much about that day but for some reason two moments stand out in my head.

The silence in the ground when the ball fell to O'Reilly before he smashed the ball in for our second goal.

And barely being able to celebrate at the final whistle. I was exhausted, shattered, and couldn't believe what we had just watched.

I'll never go to a better game of football than that. Perfection.

I remember very little but without doubt it was the most exhausting game I've ever seen.

the drexciyan
10-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Best Palace experience ever for me. First half was going to script but that start of the second half just turned everything upside down. Look at the highlights and we could barely celebrate Pardews winner, the fans were just emotionally shattered at that point by it all.

Lee sinnots ear
10-04-2015, 09:25 PM
This is the day I learnt what the symptoms of hyperventilation were all about!!

Incredible day thought I was going to die in the last 5 mind

Old Joe Paxton
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
So long ago, seems only like 10 years not 25 to me. The saying goes People remember how they felt for longer. We all certainly went through alot of emotions on that day.

2/ Swapping my Palace ski hat for a traditional African headdress with an African lad on the way back to the station
3/Standing on the platform at Aston station (i think) with Palace fans on 1 side of the tracks and the scousers on the other side, giving a hearty rendition of Wemberlee and watching them squirm
4/Arriving back to Euston and the cauldron of noise during the walk back down the platform to the concourse, feeling like top of the world to all of the Joe Public looking on
5/Getting smashed in Thornton Heath wine bar (cant remember the name) next to Tesco's and that was the last thing I can remember....

That's shocking. There was a wine bar in Thornton Heath...?

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-04-2015, 09:40 PM
That's shocking. There was a wine bar in Thornton Heath...?

Wasn't bilkos a wine bar? Great underage haunt back in the day.

Am Phibian
10-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Best Palace experience ever for me. First half was going to script but that start of the second half just turned everything upside down. Look at the highlights and we could barely celebrate Pardews winner, the fans were just emotionally shattered at that point by it all.

There was nothing but a loud exhausted silence on the coach all the way back. Energy levels had gone south for everyone. Zero noise.

PeterH
10-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Didn't Faldo win the Masters that weekend?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
10-04-2015, 10:16 PM
My father, brother and I watched the game on the family TV. When Brighty scored the equalizer I leapt up roaring and the cat ran and shit itself behind the sofa. The smell was abominable but we ignored it for the next hour -and -a -half. Sometimes the smell of cat shit can still make me happy.

Bipe
11-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Yes. 'Faldo still the master' was the Sun's headline, alongside 'best TV since man on the moon' in reference to our game plus Oldham-Scum 3-3 draw in the other semi on the same afternoon.

Worksop Palace
11-04-2015, 06:49 AM
We sold 14,500 tickets out of the 16,000 available. There wasn't a general sale. Members only. The terrace was packed as those unsold were in the seating area.

I have never ever celebrated a goal so wildly as Brighty's equalizer and nor do I feel had the other 9,999 around me on the Holte End. One of those where you ended up 50ft away from where you standing.

The best, the finest, the most exciting game away from Selhurst ever. Terracing, beating them, the occasion, the reward.

I was nearly 25 that day. And now it's 25 years later. Unbelievable really.

Must have gone on GS as I got 2 tickets and wasn't a ST holder or a member

David of Kent
11-04-2015, 06:49 AM
When any of you re-watch this.....does anyone ever watch the first half?

Braintree Eagle
11-04-2015, 07:04 AM
What a day! Went up there in a mini-bus with all our regular faces. i can remember the scoreboard at the end wishing us luck at Wembley like it was yesterday. The journey back was incredible with the motorway a sea of Red and Blue and we even passed a rolls Royce that had been hand painted Red and Blue! Got back home and walked into my road to see the house my then girlfiend (now wife) shared in Addo was covered in R & B banners/streamers and scarves etc. She really went to town on that bless her! In fact the whole borough did. There were banners put up by the council about the cup final. It's a real shame the cup seems to have lost a bit of sparkle from the football world although I think its fair to say it probably hasn't from anyone who was lucky enough to be a Palace fan throughout those heady days!

Right, off to Sunderland now! COTP!!

the drexciyan
11-04-2015, 08:40 AM

Yes no. 4, stepping off the train was great and the noise levels. Random strangers saying well done etc..

orpingtoneagle
11-04-2015, 09:00 AM
there have been some great days watching Palace and great results. But this one for me is the one that is head and shoulders above the rest
Liverpool going for double
No one gave us a chance
Having been humped by them 9-0 at Anfield earlier in the season
The lead in the game changing hands 4 times
Our first ever (and so far only) cup final (when the FA CUP final was still the greatest event in the English sporting calendar).

Old Joe Paxton
11-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I was at the game.

Went with my dad the day before. Stayed in Stratford upon Avon. We saw Much Ado About Nothing. Not appropriate title for what happened the next day...

One of the more mixed cultural weekends of my life. But probably the best.

Stone Eagle
11-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I remember when we left that morning I said to my wife are you going to watch the game and she was very cool about it and said she would see what she was doing I taped it on the old VHS so when I watched it back the next day every time Palace scored the picture went all wobbly were she had been jumping up and down and it affected the picture so she has never been able to say she's not interested since

Sam Spade
11-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Sir Stevie was interviewed on "Sportsnight" during the week leading up to the game. Barry Davies was giving him all the "how can you possibly win?" stuff when right at the end of the interview Coppell looked directly into the camera and said "We're not afraid, and on our day we're well capable of beating Liverpool."
I remember thinking....weeellll....maybe.(but probably not)
On the day, post match, wept and wept like a child.

Sam Spade
11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
I was at the game.

Went with my dad the day before. Stayed in Stratford upon Avon. We saw Much Ado About Nothing. Not appropriate title for what happened the next day...

One of the more mixed cultural weekends of my life. But probably the best.

Sure it wasn't "The Tempest"?:)

Twiggy
11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
...everything a blur...but yes great memories...
... my mates wife giving me her ticket so i could go to the match
... travelling all the way there and back in a double decker , london red bus...god it was a slow journey..
... sunny but so damn cold in the stands
... and like others have said, everyone silent, drained, unable to speak...it was an incredible day..

KYLIE MINEAGLE
11-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Well 12000 miles away. At the time it was hard to get results as they happened in Australia. On the Monday morning I had a to go on a trip that was in the back lots of NSW for a few days. So it was a real early start to pick up a work colleague in western Sydney. Any hoo I am half way down what is Heathcote road which is part of an army firing range , so not a lot of traffic about when the news comes on. Gets to the sport, and the guy says '' In one of the biggest upsets in English football............'' The rest was strange, as I wound down my window , flashed my lights and sounded my horn all the time screaming yes yes ( did not have an orgasm mind). Don't think there was any one for miles.
So that night when I check into the motel I am staying at I am on the phone to a mate in the UK to get me a ticket as I was on my way back.
See episode two to follow Sydney to London for the Cup Final.

palaceboy1
11-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Still get emotional reading these stories

Am Phibian
11-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Must have gone on GS as I got 2 tickets and wasn't a ST holder or a member

Post Hillsborough and a very strict Noades you must have slipped through the net as did I with the final by bagging two tickets with my one semi final stub via the lovely Joyce who was helping to hand them out.

I deffo remember the non sell out was a bit controversial at the time due to restrictions. Maybe a last minute relax?

Sp1Eagle
12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
P8_8pNHt0wc

Baffled Bob 2
12-04-2015, 05:51 PM
I most remember Richard Shaw at the final whistle. Walking alone to the Holte End just grinning like a loon.

As Palace fans we understand that following our team is going to be all ups and downs, but we shouldn't forget that for the players, most of whom are going to be mediocre, these are special times too.

DE - Glad All Over
12-04-2015, 06:53 PM
That vid just brought a tear to my eye
lost my voice for a few days after Villa park

David of Kent
12-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Fantastic little video with the goals shown too up there. Lovely to see GT and Brighty at Villa Park 25 years on. Interesting to hear that the both see similarities to todays team

orp pisshead1
13-04-2015, 03:30 PM
That vid just brought a tear to my eye
lost my voice for a few days after Villa park

Just looked on other thread watched the vid and same reaction as you, especially emotional as was born bout 2 miles away from villa park and it's our greatest ever game in my 36 years watching the team.

orp pisshead1
13-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Still get emotional reading these stories

Yep, just like yesterday.

917L
18-04-2015, 07:50 AM
BBC2 in 10 minutes

palacelad197o
18-04-2015, 08:02 AM
BBC2 9am looking back to the fa cup semi finals in 1990
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo

cpfc4evandeva
18-04-2015, 08:57 AM
That was wonderful. I was 2 in 1990 so I've never really seen more than 10/15 minutes and those highlights were pretty extensive.

When the BBC get things right, they're bloody good.

Buglebob
18-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I deffo remember the non sell out was a bit controversial at the time due to restrictions. Maybe a last minute relax?
IIRC it was the other way round; tickets went on general sale very briefly, but the authorities got nervous that Liverpool fans would get some and decision was made to stop selling them and leave approx. 1500 unsold.

art malice
18-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Grobelaar had an absolute shocker

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-04-2015, 01:42 PM
There's been a lot of talk recently about if this/the following season's team is better than the current one etc. There's not a lot in it I guess, although I think it's safe to say we now have more strength in depth. Good times again.

But I think there's one area that will never be the same again. Geoff Thomas mentioned it in the interview with Mark Bright, when he remembered them pushing the police officers out of the way to celebrate the goals with us.

People of my generation developed such a bond with this team. It was literally like a phoenix from the ashes. People often criticise Ian Wright for going to Arsenal, but he and many others were at the club for about six years or so. We grew up with them, effectively.

We stood side by side with them through the embarrassment when we lost 9-0 at Anfield, and we stood side by side with them for the glory at Villa Park. A special bond that I doubt will ever be repeated.

the drexciyan
18-04-2015, 05:26 PM
There's been a lot of talk recently about if this/the following season's team is better than the current one etc. There's not a lot in it I guess, although I think it's safe to say we now have more strength in depth. Good times again.

But I think there's one area that will never be the same again. Geoff Thomas mentioned it in the interview with Mark Bright, when he remembered them pushing the police officers out of the way to celebrate the goals with us.

People of my generation developed such a bond with this team. It was literally like a phoenix from the ashes. People often criticise Ian Wright for going to Arsenal, but he and many others were at the club for about six years or so. We grew up with them, effectively.

We stood side by side with them through the embarrassment when we lost 9-0 at Anfield, and we stood side by side with them for the glory at Villa Park. A special bond that I doubt will ever be repeated.

Well said Vince, That team developed as I went from boy to man too. To see players like Wright, Thomas, Gray signed from nowhere and turn into top-class players with us was and still is something to cherish.

orp pisshead1
20-04-2015, 08:04 AM

For all your very funny posts VHA you post some brilliant more serious stuff:p.
Was truly a brilliant bond what struck me back then was if we gave them a bit of a rocket( when warranted ) they always responded & imo that's the sign of a close bond:p.

orp pisshead1
20-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Well said Vince, That team developed as I went from boy to man too. To see players like Wright, Thomas, Gray signed from nowhere and turn into top-class players with us was and still is something to cherish.

Absolutely:p.
Remember going to a programme meeting prior to first home game after Huddersfield away and Geoff Thomas and Redfern were the guests along with SSC and they genuinely couldn't believe how many we'd taken up to Yorkshire 700/900? Iircc and shows where they'd come from.

SSC lasts words to them at the meeting was don't get pissed
They did :D.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
20-04-2015, 08:25 AM
For all your very funny posts VHA you post some brilliant more serious stuff:p.
Was truly a brilliant bond what struck me back then was if we gave them a bit of a rocket( when warranted ) they always responded & imo that's the sign of a close bond:p.

Yes, I was at that Brighton away game too.....

bubbs11
08-04-2017, 07:03 AM
27 years ago today. This date is always fixed in my memory like your own child's birthday.

Sam Spade
08-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Yep, well said. It felt they were just like us. (Only considerably better at Football obviously:D)

Nth Kent Eagle
08-04-2017, 08:33 AM
If I were asked which Palace match that I attended could we relive this and the Burnley home game would be the two. 14 fit players and up against a team that had beaten us 9-0 that season.

Se9 eagles
08-04-2017, 12:01 PM
I had an insurance exam in London the following day.Still hungover and smeared with red and blue face paint I turned over the paper thinking if this was nuclear physics Id still pass!To sit their in silence for 3 hours after the mayhem of the day before was unbearable.Had to let out a massive 'Eagles!'when time was up.Got some strange looks apart from a nice Palace luvlie who gave me a big hug.

Nth Kent Eagle
08-04-2017, 10:34 PM
The next day I bought all the papers and sat down and read the lot. Then we read the scumbags at the FA only gave us 14,000 tickets for the final.

Glaws Eagle
09-04-2017, 09:26 AM
If I were asked which Palace match that I attended could we relive this and the Burnley home game would be the two. 14 fit players and up against a team that had beaten us 9-0 that season.

.... And the Stockport game?

Chris B
09-04-2017, 10:03 PM

Leeds away - FA Cup 4th round 1976 would be up there for me. As a third tier team, we came to Elland Road and deservedly beat the best team in the country. But I agree the Liverpool semi-final will never be beaten!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
09-04-2017, 10:06 PM

The sub 4000 Carlisle home game for me - I would make sure I wore a more waterproof coat

Yoda
09-04-2017, 11:25 PM
The next day I bought all the papers and sat down and read the lot. Then we read the scumbags at the FA only gave us 14,000 tickets for the final.

Next day I bought the tabloids with the most lurid coverage and spread them on the desk of a Liverpool colleague.

He took it well.

What was unexpectedly nice was the number of neutrals who visited my office to offer congrats, say how much they'd enjoyed it and they hope we win the final.

In comparison with last year's cup run, we were much more the underdog in the Liverpool semi....it was David v Goliath.