PDA

View Full Version : Fair play to Palace

LondonOrn
12-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I get the impression that some of you don't like us very much, so I can understand if on opening this you might construe this as a piss-take, but I am on here to offer my genuine compliments on how well Palace have done in the Premier League since beating us at Wembley.

And at the risk of sounding someone who is still bitter that you got promoted and we didn't and you stayed up and we still haven't gone up (I assure you this isn't the case), I'm actually amazed that you have adapted so well in the top flight after most of us (probably some of your own fans included) didn't give you a prayer. Because, being honest, given the manner in which you won promotion after being in contention for the first time in five seasons (gaining just 72 points, going into the away leg at Brighton with only one win in 11 and that being courtesy of a last-minute goal against relegated Peterborough, going five games without a league goal including three 3-0 or 4-0 defeats) you must have been odds-on for relegation.

Yet, since Ian Holloway left, under the combined inspired leadership of Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew (leaving aside Neil Warnock of course, whose return was a mistake) in 38 games you have gained 63 points, which over most seasons would be enough for a Europa League spot - that is staggering. What have been the main factors behind your improvement? Did you have better players all along than results and performances suggested under Holloway, have you had a major injection of cash after a few years of struggle in the Championship, is it all just excellent management, or any or all of the above?

I'm hoping we join you of course, but with the form Bournemouth and Norwich are showing, I'm not all that confident. It would just be our luck to end up in the play-offs again with a better team and much higher points total than two years ago, and not even get to the final this time - but that's another story...

Gooders
13-04-2015, 08:24 AM
A lot of graft, a fair bit of luck.

Mostly graft though.

eagle mart
13-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Basically we have kept what was good about our club.

I think 8 or so from the Championship squad are still present – Although people were dismissing and under estimating us, that season I thought our first 11 was one of our best starting 11 we have had in that division in many years. With everybody fit, we were dominating teams – id never seen that really before. Below we were wafer thin and that run in with injuries exposed us. And we kind of limped over the line, it was close!

What has kept us there is spirit, unity and a love of being the underdog. We’ve kept what was good about our team and added to it. Anybody’s route up has to be following in the footsteps of us/Burnely. There are no guarantees of course, but it is sustainable. Everyone in our club is all pushing in the same direction, and our decision making up the top during a crisis, which we have had a few, has been top class.

Warnock might not have been the correct appointment, but it was the right one at the time. The decisions made and when to make them have been spot on. If we didn’t employ Warnock, Pardew would not be here now. We had a manager a walk out on us two days before the season started, then another one stitched up by Cardiff ten days later, we were left reeling and rudderless. With a 1-3 home defeat to West Ham. We needed someone who knew the club, and get started right away, the club needed to close ranks. It was also the right time to get rid of him and move for Pardew. We had just dropped into the relegation zone, I think we have spent one week there all season, so we weren’t totally forlorn.

One thing I will say, it will be tougher for any that come up if all three go back down… The first two years are critical, and to have every other team two years ahead of you in the division, is a tough ask, but some clubs are on the downward curve so it’s still possible.

Gooders
13-04-2015, 09:53 AM
One other thing I would add. The teams from half-way downwards in the Greed League are really not that good.

When we've gone up before there have always been 8 or 9 sides in the league that I thought we would struggle to get anything from unless they were having an off-day. Despite all the talk of the gulf getting wider, I don't think it's the case anymore.

The only teams I look at and think "nah, we'll get nothing from them" are Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Moan United. And we've beaten two of them since we came back up.

Against the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Stoke et al it's anybody's game, IMHO.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
13-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Numerous reasons -

Anabolic steroids (lots of). Ledley and Jedinak actually shave ten minutes before each game.

Voodoo dolls depicting the opposition. Look closely at footage of the Sunderland game, and you can see Keith Millen in the background, stabbing knitting needles into a doll of John O'Shea every time he, Glenn Murray and the ball were within 5 feet of each other.

'Getting it done'. Focussing on getting the ball in the net, rather than pointless possession stats. This enables us to win games whilst our opponents expend vast quantities of energy bemoaning how unfair it all is (Tbf this commenced three games before we got promoted)

Maltesers

glaziers fan
13-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome LondonOrn. Nice opening post. My take on it is a bit different, although I agree with Gooders that the Premiership is overrated, and once promoted teams stop playing with fear then wins are realistically possible against everyone, bar the top7.

I believe we were promoted despite Holloway. Like Warnock he's a lovely bloke I'm sure. But he is a dinosaur in footballing terms. It was Freedman who built our team, and who the players (Murray, Jedinak, Zaha, Delaney, Ward etc) wanted to play for. Had he stayed we'd have won the league at a canter. Yes, players like Chamakh, Puncheon, Dann, Ledley, Mcarthur and Kelly have helped. But the nucleus of the side - 7 of that Championship side - are still regulars for us in this division. We've had the right blend of leadership, strength, aerial ability but most importantly pace in place for years - those attributes, especially pace, convert nicely into Premiership points.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Stellavista
13-04-2015, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see Watford come up. Decent away trip.

Supa Pard
13-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Numerous reasons -

Anabolic steroids (lots of). Ledley and Jedinak actually shave ten minutes before each game.

Voodoo dolls depicting the opposition. Look closely at footage of the Sunderland game, and you can see Keith Millen in the background, stabbing knitting needles into a doll of John O'Shea every time he, Glenn Murray and the ball were within 5 feet of each other.

'Getting it done'. Focussing on getting the ball in the net, rather than pointless possession stats. This enables us to win games whilst our opponents expend vast quantities of energy bemoaning how unfair it all is (Tbf this commenced three games before we got promoted)

Maltesers

Hahaha.
Brilliant.

Godstone Eagle
13-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Blimey, i just agreed with a GF post..i need a lie down!

Jim Cannon
13-04-2015, 11:51 AM
One other thing I would add. The teams from half-way downwards in the Greed League are really not that good.

When we've gone up before there have always been 8 or 9 sides in the league that I thought we would struggle to get anything from unless they were having an off-day. Despite all the talk of the gulf getting wider, I don't think it's the case anymore.

The only teams I look at and think "nah, we'll get nothing from them" are Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Moan United. And we've beaten two of them since we came back up.

Against the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Stoke et al it's anybody's game, IMHO.

Correct. The top sides can roll you over easily if you aren't prepared but from mid table downwards there are some alarmingly average/poor sides.

knowlesyUCLA
13-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Decent in the sense that it is close but not many other redeeming features about it, letís be honest. And I am sure they feel the same way.

The Watford is nothing to be admired and for the very same reasons I wanted us to beat them 2 years ago, I would rather see anyone else go up but them. However they look good this year and will probably be the play off winners. They will also compete well next season I expect.

stevek
13-04-2015, 12:00 PM
When we were in our purple patch in the autumn of our promotion season our team was:

Speroni
Ward
Moxey
Gabbidon
Delaney
Jedinak
KG
Garvan
Zaha
Bolasie
Murray

Our starting line up on Saturday included seven of thone players. Make of that what you will.

Jim Cannon
13-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Decent in the sense that it is close but not many other redeeming features about it, letís be honest. And I am sure they feel the same way.

The Watford is nothing to be admired and for the very same reasons I wanted us to beat them 2 years ago, I would rather see anyone else go up but them. However they look good this year and will probably be the play off winners. They will also compete well next season I expect.

Play Offs are notoriously unpredictable and the best team on paper doesn't always win though.

Supa Pard
13-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Hahaha.
Brilliant.

Trying to rep but it seems I can't?!?!?

Walrus
13-04-2015, 12:24 PM
We had players who still had room to improve (in some cases, lots of room!) and who were well used to working hard in "grafting" sides.

We've added 4 absolute gems in Dann, Puncheon, McArthur and now Super Al. Chamakh has also shown he's got the grafting, team player mentality to deliver in our side.

The fans have genuinely been a 12th man home and away, consistenly.

At the risk of being mistakenly accused of racist stereotypes, there isn't a massive range of cultures clashing in the side. Lots of UK & Ireland nationals with a smattering of "foreigners" who are basically naturalised Londoners (Bolasie, Zaha and maybe even Speroni now!).

Del Fenner
13-04-2015, 12:25 PM
I believe we were promoted despite Holloway. Like Warnock he's a lovely bloke I'm sure. But he is a dinosaur in footballing terms. It was Freedman who built our team, and who the players (Murray, Jedinak, Zaha, Delaney, Ward etc) wanted to play for. Had he stayed we'd have won the league at a canter.

True for most of the 2012-13 season. But not for the 3 play-off matches, when Holloway was the expert tactician whose plan (executed by the players) got us get promoted.

Otherwise an excellent post.

Cleon
13-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Welcome LondonOrn, and I'm sure much of that first post hurt.

Reality is that as others have said we have a united football club and a really hardworking team made up mainly of the talents we first brought together when in the Championship. Holloway almost blew it for us, but Pulis made a couple of key acquisitions and maximised the performances of some of Holloway’s more scattergun acquisitions to make us into an effective team, but the core is made up of players to whom playing for Palace in the Premier League is something they’ve worked for years to achieve and they have no intention of blowing it anytime soon.

I would strongly recommend that if you make it up this time you focus on players who will put everything on the line for you rather than a bunch of foreign mercenaries, or journeyman players who join you because you are offering more cash at that specific moment in time.

knowlesyUCLA
13-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Play Offs are notoriously unpredictable and the best team on paper doesn't always win though.

As we all know too well. But they would be my pick at the moment, if they were in it, because they have the best squad and are in good form, far better than anyone else they might play.

Adlerhorst
13-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Everything everyone has said is true, but also lots of things have worked out at the very upper end of anyone's expectations, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. Warnock was rubbish but not so hopeless we were cut adrift. McArthur has been fabulous. Pulis walking out meant that we changed the style of play to one that fitted the players we had far better (turns out Puncheon is a really good attacking midfielder - don't think anyone saw that coming). Mackay revelations came out just before he signed as manager, whcih would have been a disaster. Glenn Murray wasn't totally done as a footballer. People still keep underestimating us and let us play counterattacking football when they really ought not to. All of these things, and many others like it, seem to have worked out about as well as any of us could imagine.

However even ignoring the league placings and points for the time being and just looking at the play, Palace are talent wise, and performance wise, at a level of a mid table Premier League team. That's simply astonishing.

Nth Kent Eagle
13-04-2015, 12:49 PM
I get the impression that some of you don't like us very much, so I can understand if on opening this you might construe this as a piss-take, but I am on here to offer my genuine compliments on how well Palace have done in the Premier League since beating us at Wembley.

And at the risk of sounding someone who is still bitter that you got promoted and we didn't and you stayed up and we still haven't gone up (I assure you this isn't the case), I'm actually amazed that you have adapted so well in the top flight after most of us (probably some of your own fans included) didn't give you a prayer. Because, being honest, given the manner in which you won promotion after being in contention for the first time in five seasons (gaining just 72 points, going into the away leg at Brighton with only one win in 11 and that being courtesy of a last-minute goal against relegated Peterborough, going five games without a league goal including three 3-0 or 4-0 defeats) you must have been odds-on for relegation.

Yet, since Ian Holloway left, under the combined inspired leadership of Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew (leaving aside Neil Warnock of course, whose return was a mistake) in 38 games you have gained 63 points, which over most seasons would be enough for a Europa League spot - that is staggering. What have been the main factors behind your improvement? Did you have better players all along than results and performances suggested under Holloway, have you had a major injection of cash after a few years of struggle in the Championship, is it all just excellent management, or any or all of the above?

I'm hoping we join you of course, but with the form Bournemouth and Norwich are showing, I'm not all that confident. It would just be our luck to end up in the play-offs again with a better team and much higher points total than two years ago, and not even get to the final this time - but that's another story...

I don't think many of our fans wish Watford any harm. Most of us were impressed with your football two years ago and with the dignity of your suppporters in defeat. The success of staying up or not will depend upon Watford keeping the nucleus of your side and that side playing out of their skins as a collective unit. You will need to add some Premiership experience and know how and make sure you have some pacey flair players to frighten the opposition. The biggest shocks will be the way that players at clubs like Chelsea are so adept at winning free kicks at the right moment and the way that you can sometimes be in control and make one mistake and lose the game.

Penstone Eagle
13-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't think many of our fans wish Watford any harm. Most of us were impressed with your football two years ago and with the dignity of your suppporters in defeat. The success of staying up or not will depend upon Watford keeping the nucleus of your side and that side playing out of their skins as a collective unit. You will need to add some Premiership experience and know how and make sure you have some pacey flair players to frighten the opposition. The biggest shocks will be the way that players at clubs like Chelsea are so adept at winning free kicks at the right moment and the way that you can sometimes be in control and make one mistake and lose the game.

although many football fans of club in the league at that time thought that being able to have all those players from an Italian team was just plain wrong, not Watford fans fault I know, but I for one am glad they didn't get promoted for that reason alone.

LondonOrn
13-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Even Wolves, Leeds or Millwall (if those two had been in the promotion frame)? :(

Not living in Watford (as my name kinda suggests) I'd agree with you that the town is no great shakes, but the North part with Cassiobury Park is pretty pleasant, with some good pubs and the high street in what's left of the old town is nice enough. I agree that the area around the ground and the town centre is awful, but football stadiums are rarely based in the most glamorous of locations (and no offense mate, but South Norwood isn't exactly a paradise either).

Thanks for the vote of confidence though - I think...

although many football fans of club in the league at that time thought that being able to have all those players from an Italian team was just plain wrong, not Watford fans fault I know, but I for one am glad they didn't get promoted for that reason alone.

Well our team is a lot more cosmopolitan this time - plenty of players from Granada now ;)

cpfcfly
13-04-2015, 02:38 PM

This. I like Watford as an away trip. Now they've got a proper stadium with 4 stands the atmosphere will hopefully be better.

knowlesyUCLA
13-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Even Wolves, Leeds or Millwall (if those two had been in the promotion frame)? :(

Not living in Watford (as my name kinda suggests) I'd agree with you that the town is no great shakes, but the North part with Cassiobury Park is pretty pleasant, with some good pubs and the high street in what's left of the old town is nice enough. I agree that the area around the ground and the town centre is awful, but football stadiums are rarely based in the most glamorous of locations (and no offense mate, but South Norwood isn't exactly a paradise either).

Thanks for the vote of confidence though - I think...

Well our team is a lot more cosmopolitan this time - plenty of players from Granada now ;)

I know exactly how nice South Norwood is. I live there!

I do rate your team this year and from a purely footballing perspective I think you deserve to go up because as I said, you have a good squad, play attacking football and are in excellent form.

But against the context of how you have got where you are, it is hard to feel anything but contempt. A team of ‘standard’ signings like Ben Watson (CPFC link aside), Guediora (again, CPFC link aside), Gomes and Cathcart (i.e. sensible free transfers/normal loans/reasonably priced transfers) and it would be different.

But when you effectively import a load of foreign players from your own continental network, and then go so far as to actually change your away kit to one of the teams in said network, and I struggle to be anything other than antagonistic.

Crozzy71
13-04-2015, 04:23 PM
This will sound corney and isn't based on any statistical facts, but I think we're very fortunate to have a set of players that have a tight bond with each other and the fans.

As the OP said, before a ball was kicked nobody gave us a chance of staying up last year and even less so after the first 10 or so games. In our second season to be sitting on 42 points with 6 games left is testament to this squads spirit.

How many other clubs can be on their 4th manager in less than 2 seasons (5 if you include Millen's 2 caretaker roles), still be playing 7 first teamers from the team that got us promoted and be in this position ?

Happy days.

JackTheBiscuit
13-04-2015, 04:28 PM
We've added 4 absolute gems in Dann, Puncheon, McArthur and now Super Al. Chamakh has also shown he's got the grafting, team player mentality to deliver in our side.

Not forgetting The Beard!

Selhurst Celtic
13-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Not living in Watford (as my name kinda suggests) I'd agree with you that the town is no great shakes, but the North part with Cassiobury Park is pretty pleasant, with some good pubs and the high street in what's left of the old town is nice enough. I agree that the area around the ground and the town centre is awful, but football stadiums are rarely based in the most glamorous of locations

I like where Vicarage Road is. You can walk to it from the town centre (after a few pints in Mangans, then a few more in Macs Bar/Oddfellows/whatever it's called now). That's how it should be.

Being shuttled out to ballygobackwards to watch 'footie' in an identikit stadium on an industrial estate is no fun. See Reading, Brighton etc

Good pints in the Escourt (sp?) Arms too, until they barred us that is.

(ADE! :vader: )

old git
13-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Always enjoy watford away.Usually start and finish in the white lion to avoid the beer throwing oiks.:p

eastend eagle
13-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Because, being honest, given the manner in which you won promotion after being in contention for the first time in five seasons (gaining just 72 points, going into the away leg at Brighton with only one win in 11 and that being courtesy of a last-minute goal against relegated Peterborough, going five games without a league goal including three 3-0 or 4-0 defeats) you must have been odds-on for relegation.

Take a look at our form earlier in that season - we were flying, and many of us believed that we would win the league at that point. Freedman assembled a good team, who were desperately underachieving under Holloway. They regrouped under Pulis, and the rest is history.

CPFC85
13-04-2015, 06:00 PM

A team spirit right throughout the whole club. Everyone is united.

Also, seven of the eleven that played Sunderland off the park were regular starters in the Championship. I feel it was a case of the likes of Pulis and Pardew unlocking the potential within the squad. It was always there.

danpalace07
23-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Pistol Knight
23-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Always enjoy watford away.Usually start and finish in the white lion to avoid the beer throwing oiks.:p

Last time we spent the afternoon at the Battersea Beer Festival (Friday night game) followed by Asda for some spirit on the train, never made any pubs but was suitably bladdered

Seth
24-04-2015, 01:27 AM
I live not far from Watford som it's a nice easy away game for me and I'd like to see what the ground looks like now they've replaced that weird jumble of seats and terracing with an actual stand.

I've been to Vicarage Road many times and have particularly bitter memories of the 2006 playoff semi second leg when we were 3-0 down from the first leg and Aidy Boothroyd used every spoiling tactic in the book to stop any momentum we might get, including having no ball boys and putting us in the lower tier of the Turnip stand just in case it went to penalties and we might have put their players off if we'd been behind the goal, as we always are.

All that was nullified by the Wembley win and, despite their manipulation of the loan system, I wouldn't mind them coming up just for the ease of the journey to and from their ground for me.

eagles #1
24-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Hope Watford come up. We always take the piss at their place.

LSEagle
24-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Good pints in the Escourt (sp?) Arms too, until they barred us that is.

(ADE! :vader: )

Nascot Arms I think; that's a great little pub

New LP
24-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Watford is my favourite away day, I hope they go up.

Kevlon
24-04-2015, 12:14 PM

It almost feels like a home match when we go to Watford.

Probably one of my favourite away games.

LondonOrn
25-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Is Guedioura going to feature much in your plans for next season?

He's been class for us this season and what he lacks in goals he more than makes up for in his creativity, pace, link play, versatility, and offensive threat and defensive solidity in equal measure. TBH I'm a bit surprised he should have fallen down the pecking order for you, but then it's testimony to the depth of your squad and the quality players you have that you have been doing so well even without him.

I'll be sorry to see him go, and while I can't make the game, I hope the fans can give him a good send-off at Brighton today.

Gooders
25-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Is Guedioura going to feature much in your plans for next season?

It would seem unlikely - we are arguably stronger in midfield than anywhere else on the pitch.

Reckon you'll sign him permanently to be honest. Good luck today. :p

pauldrulez
25-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Who are Watford?

Would take a point today for Brighton if it got Norwich and Bournemouth up.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Been to Watford many times, but I think my favourite one was the year we went up under Alan Smith and Southgate scored

New LP
25-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Who are Watford?

Also both good away days if they go up, but then most of the Championship teams going for promotion are except Boro perhaps.

New LP
25-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Been to Watford many times, but I think my favourite one was the year we went up under Alan Smith and Southgate scored

The days when Gareth Southgate was a central midfielder and scored goals!

Heb 7:4
25-04-2015, 10:22 AM

My favourite away day, and they won't get away with that restricting our tickets bollocks in the Prem.

LondonOrn
25-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Who are Watford?

You were saying...? ;)

Look forward to your welcoming us to the Premier League after you brush us aside 4-1 at the Vic on the opening day.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
25-04-2015, 05:01 PM
So you get promoted and you come straight onto another clubs site? Call me old fashioned but go and get bladdered you sad sack!

Maiden Eagle
25-04-2015, 07:01 PM
You were saying...? ;)

Look forward to your welcoming us to the Premier League after you brush us aside 4-1 at the Vic on the opening day.

Fair play to your lot, mate.

You've come back well after the disappointment of Wembley, against us, 2 years ago. And done well to keep hold of Deeney, who is a bloody good striker.

And got over all chaos of change of Managers before Christmas.

Good to see you clinching things against the Seaweeds !:)

orp pisshead1
25-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Congrats Watford :p.

Barcelona B Fan
25-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Yeah congrats Watford,What's the away allocation now that the new stand is there at Vic rd?

LondonOrn
26-04-2015, 01:30 AM
It depends on how many you bring (and this applies to every other PL team with the wide range of fanbases at the top level). This season as usual we have had the away fans in the left hand side of the Vicarage Road End (which holds 2500), where there's normally sufficient space as being the Championship many clubs don't bring that many fans to begin with (especially if they are Northern and playing midweek) and a lot of ex-Premier sides lose a lot of their more fairweather fans on relegation especially if they've been down here for a while. But here it'll be different; I would expect just about all the big teams to sell out that section, and maybe yours too as I daresay your fanbase has grown quite a bit since promotion and you have a lot more hardcore fans than us if your support was anything to go by at Wembley. So if demand easily exceeds supply we will probably have to extend the allocation to the near block in the Sir Elton John Stand, which will otherwise be housing WFC non-ST holders who can't go anywhere else during a (near) sell-out. Hopefully we will avoid the fiasco from our last Premier League campaign where we got away fans wearing colours and celebrating goals intermingled with home fans in the other half of the Vic Road End (now the family stand).

I'm not surprised you enjoy your trips to the Vic with your record against us there (five wins and only one defeat from your last nine league outings) - apart from the 2005/2006 play-offs and a couple of cup games you've been a bit of a bogey side for us. But I don't think you'll be able to take the piss out of us so easily this time round (unless it's another 5-1!) because thanks to the new stand and the recent introduction of the 1881 singers section in the Rookery who have been encouraging the rest of the ground to join in, the atmosphere at home games has increased exponentially - we've always had some passionate hardcore support, but thanks to most of it previously being concentrated in one stand means that the atmosphere had been somewhat diluted. I'm anticipating a good game and occasion whatever the result - both teams play great attacking football with pace and creativity and I'm looking forward to it! (along with 37 other games of course...)

old git
26-04-2015, 06:38 AM
we've always had some passionate hardcore support,

LMAO.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-04-2015, 07:07 AM
LMAO.

It was a cracker :D

Gooders
26-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Well done to Watford. :p

Can you buy some players now, rather than begging, stealing and borrowing them? ;)

old git
26-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Can you buy some players now, rather than begging, stealing and borrowing them? ;)

They can have Guedioura for seven million.:p

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Don't be ridiculous Gooders!

Penstone Eagle
26-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Hope Watford finish bottom next season, if for no other reason than the fact that I've been to that ground too many times in the past it's become boring.

danpalace07
26-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Congrats on coming up and everything

Now give us 5k tickets and £8m for Guedioura

Santos-er
26-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Built on a foundation of abusing the transfer and loan system, with owners that have had a club demoted for match-fixing previously.

Well done. Can't wait to see which Udinese players end up at Watford next season.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Built on a foundation of abusing the transfer and loan system, with owners that have had a club demoted for match-fixing previously.

Well done. Can't wait to see which Udinese players end up at Watford next season.

Pretty much this :p

Penstone Eagle
26-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Well said.

Grubby club.

Palaceboy222
26-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Well I say well done. They haven't broken any rules and I'm looking forward to going there next year.

Hope Bournemouth and (rather optimistically) Brentford follow them up.

Palaceboy222
26-04-2015, 08:16 PM
It depends on how many you bring (and this applies to every other PL team with the wide range of fanbases at the top level). This season as usual we have had the away fans in the left hand side of the Vicarage Road End (which holds 2500), where there's normally sufficient space as being the Championship many clubs don't bring that many fans to begin with (especially if they are Northern and playing midweek) and a lot of ex-Premier sides lose a lot of their more fairweather fans on relegation especially if they've been down here for a while. But here it'll be different; I would expect just about all the big teams to sell out that section, and maybe yours too as I daresay your fanbase has grown quite a bit since promotion and you have a lot more hardcore fans than us if your support was anything to go by at Wembley. So if demand easily exceeds supply we will probably have to extend the allocation to the near block in the Sir Elton John Stand, which will otherwise be housing WFC non-ST holders who can't go anywhere else during a (near) sell-out. Hopefully we will avoid the fiasco from our last Premier League campaign where we got away fans wearing colours and celebrating goals intermingled with home fans in the other half of the Vic Road End (now the family stand).

I'm not surprised you enjoy your trips to the Vic with your record against us there (five wins and only one defeat from your last nine league outings) - apart from the 2005/2006 play-offs and a couple of cup games you've been a bit of a bogey side for us. But I don't think you'll be able to take the piss out of us so easily this time round (unless it's another 5-1!) because thanks to the new stand and the recent introduction of the 1881 singers section in the Rookery who have been encouraging the rest of the ground to join in, the atmosphere at home games has increased exponentially - we've always had some passionate hardcore support, but thanks to most of it previously being concentrated in one stand means that the atmosphere had been somewhat diluted. I'm anticipating a good game and occasion whatever the result - both teams play great attacking football with pace and creativity and I'm looking forward to it! (along with 37 other games of course...)

'It depends how many you bring'

I honestly can't remember us not selling out at your place, even when we've been shit!

The allocations you've given us/the police have allowed us have been a joke in recent years!

Seth
27-04-2015, 12:59 AM
I don't mind them coming up - I live quite near so it's a piss-easy away game for me and we've done well there in recent years.

I'll also be interested to see the new stand and whether is creates a better noise than what was there before - which won't be difficult tbh.

Also one of my favourite recent memories was when we played them at theirs a few years ago in the fog. We couldn't see the other end of the pitch and when the play was near our goal at the other end the cry went up to the tune of "we're the red & blue army": "where the f*ck is Speroni?"

cantspell
27-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Congrats Watford

and to Guedioura and Ben Watson - can't help thinking those 2 have made the difference

Jono14
27-04-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm delighted they came up. Top away end and we always make a ******* racket :lux: and we normally get a result there too.

The 2-0 in the Warnock play off season and 3-1 in the admin season stick out in my mind.

I imagine club shop points will be required when it comes around too.