PDA

View Full Version : For all those who were at the Villa Pk semi final

Barcelona B Fan
13-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Just posted this over on Hol,

A must watch for all Palace fans but even better for those who witnessed it 25 years ago

http://hltco.org/2015/04/13/a-beautiful-look-back-at-the-fa-cup-semi-final-win-over-liverpool/?

mooeybolton
13-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Brilliant! Brings back so many happy memories.

orp pisshead1
13-04-2015, 02:16 PM
That's a biting wind today ;).

Aquila_17
13-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Superb!... thanks for posting. Great to hear what it was like for them and the comparisons GT makes with our team today.

orp pisshead1
13-04-2015, 02:17 PM

A must watch for all Palace fans but even better for those who witnessed it 25 years ago

http://hltco.org/2015/04/13/a-beautiful-look-back-at-the-fa-cup-semi-final-win-over-liverpool/?

Many many thanks :lux:.

ElwissAtMemphis
13-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I love the bit about Coppell's team talk before extra time to the team who are all standing up and he's saying "you're fitter, you're younger, you're stronger, you're hungrier" and they look over at the Liverpool team you are all sat on the pitch ... "they're old, they're tired." Almost Churchillian. Well, almost.

hdeagle
14-04-2015, 12:19 AM
The tears of joy were certainly flowing that day at the final whistle and the euphoria carried on to the two Wembley FA Cup Finals where we gave a good account of ourselves and painted London Red and Blue as well as our faces.

bubbs11
14-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Amazing video. 'Bloody Pardew!' :D

RUSSELL
14-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Brilliant stuff, I wont deny that I shed a tear escpecially the bit where Geoff said that they pushed through the Police to celebrate with us in the Holte End. There really is something special happening at Palace at the moment which is so simelar to what we witnessed 25 years ago! :love::love:

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-04-2015, 12:51 AM

Thanks for posting this vid. Pleasure to watch these two Palace gents.

EastBerksEagle
14-04-2015, 12:44 PM
My best day watching Palace ever.

Palace Dan
14-04-2015, 03:04 PM
What a great trip back to the very best game that I have or that I ever will be lucky enough to attend. Thank you also to two of my favourite ever palace players for reliving it.

Bobby Woodruff
14-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Next Saturday 9am BBC2:

FA Cup Rewind:Semi Final Classics

From 1990, Liverpool v Crystal Palace and Manchester United v Oldham Athletic.

BBD
14-04-2015, 06:10 PM

"...and now they've waved Andy Thorn up as well. Andy Gray has placed the ball: that's his cross...and Bright's there. O'Reilly's there - and Palace...are they in front? YES THEY ARE!!"

goose bumps :sob::D

love mb, but just how brilliant is gt :lux::p

bourne man
14-04-2015, 06:56 PM
I was in the Holte End with the lightwieghts ( you know who you are) and when Pardews header flew in it was my greatest moment supporting Palace. So pleased to know that it was Geoff and Marks too

WLYWLYAWYPWF
14-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Next Saturday 9am BBC2:

Nice one. Just put that on record.

cantspell
15-04-2015, 08:24 AM
I love the bit about Coppell's team talk before extra time to the team who are all standing up and he's saying "you're fitter, you're younger, you're stronger, you're hungrier" and they look over at the Liverpool team you are all sat on the pitch ... "they're old, they're tired." Almost Churchillian. Well, almost.

So do I and it must have really resonated with them to remember it 25 years on- also like the comment that the team were full of intelligent players

East-End Eagle
15-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Next Saturday 9am BBC2:

Even when you take out the obvious Palace factor, probably the best FA cup semi final day ever. Two unfancied teams against two giants of the English game. 4-3 & 3-3.

Will now never be releated with Wembley semis on different days.....sad.

singapore eagle
16-04-2015, 03:49 AM
This deserves a bump in case anyone has missed it. I don't know who's in charge of all this youtube content, but they're doing a great job.

P8_8pNHt0wc

Buglebob
16-04-2015, 03:54 PM
A day that can never be matched. Bloody fantastic.

Fernando
16-04-2015, 04:28 PM
I was in the Holte End. What a fantastic day. One of the best games ever. Given the context of being humiliated 9-0 by Liverpool eight months earlier. Beautiful weather , great ground. Also ironic that Villas secretary Edmund Goodman was the man responsible for setting palace up, he later become our longest serving manager. Now I know why our original colours were claret and blue. One of the best games I have seen. The best part was f*****g up you will never walk alone as they always do towards the end of their games. Other natch of great note was Vs Burnley 1979 so packed was it I sat in front of the advertising hoarding at the a Holmesdale End.

JoninJapan
16-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Best day ever....

ravepants
16-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Being there and having been at Anfield at the 9-0 is something that I am not sure I could ever put into words - it really meant so much - it was about Pride, but it was more than that. One of the greatest memories in my life. The comparison mentioned at the end of the interview I had not thought about before between now and then, but I think there is something in it, the hunger, togetherness and ability.... I am crying and smiling as I write this... Magic

the drexciyan
16-04-2015, 07:58 PM
What a great interview. My best Palace day ever.

Nice snippets too, like Spike the kit man being in tears in the changing room after.

Looking at those goals again, it's like we force or smash them all in, it was all about us wanting it that day and it shows in the goals.

cranesparkeagle
16-04-2015, 08:43 PM

Nice snippets too, like Spike the kit man being in tears in the changing room after.

Looking at those goals again, it's like we force or smash them all in, it was all about us wanting it that day and it shows in the goals.

Is Spike still with us

cantspell
16-04-2015, 09:07 PM
I was in the Holte End. What a fantastic day. One of the best games ever. Given the context of being humiliated 9-0 by Liverpool eight months earlier. Beautiful weather , great ground. Also ironic that Villas secretary Edmund Goodman was the man responsible for setting palace up, he later become our longest serving manager. Now I know why our original colours were claret and blue. One of the best games I have seen. The best part was f*****g up you will never walk alone as they always do towards the end of their games. Other natch of great note was Vs Burnley 1979 so packed was it I sat in front of the advertising hoarding at the a Holmesdale End.

I sat in front of same advertising hoarding

ebyeeckeagle
16-04-2015, 09:50 PM
This deserves a bump in case anyone has missed it. I don't know who's in charge of all this youtube content, but they're doing a great job.

P8_8pNHt0wc

That's really interesting stuff. Me and my brother went in a Liverpool supporters coach from Nuneaton (yeah, really). And went back with them.

I missed the winner after being slightly overcome and had my head between my knees sitting in the terrace:clown:

CPFC247
17-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Totally agree with all you say. Travelled with no hope and just excitement to be involved, only to leave with a permanent smile and enourmous pride.

25 years ago, bloody hell!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-04-2015, 08:28 AM

The same could not be said about us in the Holte End, sadly. Compare the first goal with the last, and you will see that most if us were too exhausted to celebrate properly!

gjohnk
17-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Watching the goals again, I actually think the images of the goal celebrations are more iconic than the goals themselves. The passion of that team was incredible.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Watching the goals again, I actually think the images of the goal celebrations are more iconic than the goals themselves. The passion of that team was incredible.

I always say this on these threads, but the best bit I think was the Andy Gray goal. If you look at the original footage, they show the goal head on.

As the ball goes in, the left side of the Holte is full of scousers whipping their scarves back down half way through YNWA, the right side full of Palace going bonkers.

Cully15
17-04-2015, 08:58 AM
A wonderful day never to be quite repeated for many of us I suspect.

It's the little things in life that matter and this was a moment that made life just a bit better if you were a Palace fan.

Mr Bo Jangles
17-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Seven of us travelled but sadly only five are have survive today to tell the story of that momentous day. Still rate it as the best day of my life, although not in the hearing of the wife and children! Remember the final whistle so well, everyone on the terrace just hugging each other. Total strangers bonded together in a moment of pure elation and joy. With the terraces now gone I doubt those scenes will ever be repeated, but hopefully with the current team we may get close to matching that day with a Wembley appearance and a cup win

Big Gav
17-04-2015, 09:35 AM
The same could not be said about us in the Holte End, sadly. Compare the first goal with the last, and you will see that most if us were too exhausted to celebrate properly!

This...I was totally drained . Doubt wether I will feel that way at a football match again. Every emotion went through that game

wyldeagle
17-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Great interview, one of the most amazing games i have been to along with Burnley 79, emotions up and down, truly amazing to be a Palace fan, Dancing up and down Portland rd outside the Port manor. Love you Palace !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barcelona B Fan
17-04-2015, 10:38 AM
One of the most watched games in my collection of dvds
Just love the goal celebrations by us lot.

Watch at 3-3 Gray there's an old gray haired Steward on the right hand side of the goal going ballistic :) Most of us at the back next to the Scousers were on the floor!

Buglebob
17-04-2015, 03:36 PM
This...I was totally drained . Doubt wether I will feel that way at a football match again. Every emotion went through that game
The total silence as we filed out after the game, everybody just totally f***ed both physically and emotionally and trying to take in what had just happened was astonishing; can't really be conveyed to those who weren't there. I have no doubt that I will never feel quite like that at a football match again.

PalaceSi
17-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I was living an a bit of a communal house at the time and the night before there was a large party occurring. Obviously it seemed only prudent to stay up all night and get the train first thing and catch a bit of kip on the way.
5 of us set off in a small MG sports car with 2 seats and a small shelf in the back to head for Euston only to find the trains were all booked so we had to drive all the way there. That was hands down the most uncomfortable journey i've ever had anywhere in my entire life.
I do remember passing a car on the motorway with a Liverpool 0 Palace 1 sign on the back and us all thinking how ridiculously optimistic and unthinkable that was.
The tiredness really started to kick in during the game but with the adrenalin and tension thrown in it was all a bit unreal, it seemed like a dream.
The moment when 'we'll never walk alone' was stopped in its tracks as our our third went in was the funniest thing ever. It certainly was an impressive sight seeing the Liverpool fans, scarves agogo, in full voice singing the first half of the song.
We watched the Oldham/ManU game in a massive pub full of about 200 Liverpool fans and us.They were all congratulating us and even buying us drinks for saving them another trip to Wembley. We so nearly had a final against Oldham, that would have been so nice.
It was a magic day in our history and with the season after became the best period in our history. Its only now all those years later do we finally appear to have a team ready to achieve similar things.

trufan
17-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Unforgettable day for all involved. Even more so for us hardy souls who ventured up there when, on paper, it looked like we didn't have a chance. Comparable only to survival day at Hillsborough for the sheer emotion, joy and relief, I'd say. Shivers down my spine just thinking about it now.

Isle of Wight
17-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Another one coming on BBC with Pardew and Brighty

Trailer here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32351824

917L
18-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Highlights on BBC2 in 10 minutes

Shipsisourking
18-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Thorn flicks it on :lux:

4-3 up now :p

Ron Noakes
18-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Brings a tear to the eye even 25 years on. A truly wonderful day, still never bettered although Wembley v Watford was close.

anti-addick
18-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Amazing day out that would have been eclipsed by the final had Hughes not scuff fluked that equaliser.

tauranga rob
18-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Great stuff. That was an incredible day. Went up there worried that we'd be embarrassed on live TV, and went home hoarse, sitting on the train grinning like a PG Tips chimp.

Got a bit misty eyed watching that. Lovely recollections from Messrs Bright & Thomas.

Obvious jinx risk for the rollercoaster direction, but the next year or two really could be special. The current squad's strength of character seems very similar to that of the 1990 boys. My 19-year-old son is fascinated by that - he's learning his history. :p

917L
18-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Its a while since ive watched anything but the goals

Totally forgot we had a perfectly good goal disallowed earlier at 3-3, as for the joke free kick awarded for their second goal...

Jim Cannon
13-05-2015, 08:06 AM
The total silence as we filed out after the game, everybody just totally f***ed both physically and emotionally and trying to take in what had just happened was astonishing; can't really be conveyed to those who weren't there. I have no doubt that I will never feel quite like that at a football match again.

Sums it up for me. As everyone filed out it was so quiet. Obviously it was the emotion and shock of what we had witnessed!

palaceboy1
13-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Still get choked up now:sob::sob:

wallingtoncpfc
13-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Me too!!!

Chocky
18-05-2015, 03:16 PM

It's incredible that 25 years on I still see Andy Gray heading that late equaliser when the scousers were all singing about going to Wembley, the hairs on my arms stand up and I get choked. What a moment. And Thorn hit the bar just afterwards!

99percent
14-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Was tripping at Villa Park still haven't come down:) and watching Brighty and Geoff and then brighty and Ian can't hold back a torrent of happy and proud tears