PDA

View Full Version : 12th May 1990 F.A. Cup Final Palace 3 Man Utd 3 AET.

Ismale
12-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Can't believe nobody's started a thread on this game on the 25th Anniversary! Especially as being cheated by the evil Wankers (again!) on Saturday by a Ref's decision is still so fresh in the mind! Anyway the foul on Thomas in the box in the replay can be discussed here.

We all know the game,goalscorers ect ect like the back of our hand but! What I wanna know is! 25 years on! Is 1-The Ref! A certain Alan Gunn,from Haywards Heath,in Sussex! Mmmm? B******* fan? & 2-Les Sealey,brought into the team by Fergie for the replay to replace 'Dracula' Jim Leighton,I remember he was on loan to them from Luton but was there controversy at the time that it contravened some rule or something??

7 Bloody minutes from Glory! :sob:

DocSavage
12-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Can't believe nobody's started a thread on this game on the 25th Anniversary! Especially as being cheated by the evil Wankers (again!) on Saturday by a Ref's decision is still so fresh in the mind! Anyway the foul on Thomas in the box in the replay can be discussed here.

We all know the game,goalscorers ect ect like the back of our hand but! What I wanna know is! 25 years on! Is 1-The Ref! A certain Alan Gunn,from Haywards Heath,in Sussex! Mmmm? B******* fan? & 2-Les Sealey,brought into the team by Fergie for the replay to replace 'Dracula' Jim Leighton,I remember he was on loan to them from Luton but was there controversy at the time that it contravened some rule or something??

7 Bloody minutes from Glory! :sob:

Don't remind me! and despite having tickets for almost every other game that season what galls me most was not being able to get one for this game and watching it in maple road penge. Also on the train the following Monday sat beside to old aussies (couple) who had been!!!!!

had tickets for replay and wished i hadn't

bestperch
12-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Still haunts me now. Sat very low down right behind the goal, from memory think the ticket was fourteen quid, and watching Hughes run with the ball and knowing the bastard would score.

sherstonpalace
12-05-2015, 07:28 PM
I remember a utd fan asking if they could borrow our keeper (Nige) for the replay....

Polak
12-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Les Sealey was brought in for the second leg. He was on loan from Luton and him playing wasn't in the spirit of the loan system at the time which was for players to regain fitness after injury, for young players to get experience or for cover. Sealey playing was none of those. We also had a player who couldn't play, Garry Thompson, because he was cup tied but they could play a player who didn't belong to them. Load of bollocks. Sums them up really. Never forget him rolling around in agony then laughing at Palace fans whilst getting treated.

Maiden Eagle
12-05-2015, 07:35 PM
One of the reasons why I started hating Moan Utd.

What should have been probably the best day of my life as a Palace fan, was partially ruined by being seemingly surrounded by drunk Moan Utd fans, most of them with Southern accents, one of whom admitted that he had never even been to Old Trafford ! (Sound familiar?!)

The match was exciting but the ref was clearly a bigger United fan than Oliver was, on Saturday and I just did not realise what an absolute bunch of whingeing muppets their players were, And Gunn basically just indulged them !

It's amazing the affect of that late Hughes goal had on Ferguson. It probably saved him and unfortunately the rest is history.

But still very proud of our contribution to a more showpiece occasion, than it is nowadays.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
13-05-2015, 09:34 AM
My life long dream was fulfilled that day, win ,loose or draw. Had a great week leading up to the game. The only thing I had not thought of was the possibility of a replay and had to fly back to Australia.

Lord Flange
13-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Dreadful seats behind the goal with big fence to make the view even crappier. I high fived Enzo the barber (used to run a shop next to Emek Kebab) after Wrighty's equaliser.

will hung
13-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Stop moaning, it was great game and a fair result, we all had terrible seats because Wembley was dump back then

Hedgehog
19-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Looking at the get together they had recently at Selhurst Park, I have to say I'm struggling to recognize half of them.

Anyone else having that problem?

KYLIE MINEAGLE
19-05-2015, 02:03 AM
I am where is the picture.

Hedgehog
19-05-2015, 02:07 AM
I am where is the picture.
Not sure if this will work from the Gallery:

http://cpfc.org/g2/d/136472-2/10.jpg

orp pisshead1
19-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Remember walking from Orp station back to Farnborough afterwards absolutely emotionally drained and devastated that Hughes had rescued those ***** and ruined our dream of winning a major trophy and keeping red nose in a job wankers!.
As a programme seller at the time uncle Ron agreed to reserve our tickets for first game but in true uncle Ron style we had to pay for them. Replay was just que up like everyone else, one bloke off our estate watched the game at his mums in white horse lane in case of a replay and he left at final whistle and still wasn't first in que.

Chocky
19-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Best Birthday present I ever got, Palace being in the FA Cup Final and in the days when it meant so much more. It could've been even better but that f*ck face Hughes stopped it. Well Martyn running out did. Oh if he'd just stopped in his tracks.

Snake Eye
19-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Spent a very uncomfortable time in a traffic queue to Wembley bursting for a piss and then that bastard Hughes spoiled the day for the 14,000 Palace fans who could get a ticket by scoring a soft goal. I spent the night in CPFC car park to get a ticket for a game I'd dreamed of since a child only for us to appear dressed as bees in a replay and lose in a shit game where we were denied a certain penalty, which hardly anyone noticed and the United goal was scored by a bloke who no one can remember
No I'm not surprised that some people would rather forget it and just remember the semi.

vitesse
14-07-2015, 04:17 PM
My neighbour has these for sale. They will be going on EBay together soon or if anyone is interested let me know?

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b555/vitesse11/image.jpg1_zpsehzzlxfw.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/vitesse11/media/image.jpg1_zpsehzzlxfw.jpg.html)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b555/vitesse11/image.jpg2_zpsv3hdizuy.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/vitesse11/media/image.jpg2_zpsv3hdizuy.jpg.html)

Grim Reaper
18-07-2015, 10:10 PM
one bloke off our estate watched the game at his mums in white horse lane in case of a replay and he left at final whistle .

That's a quality move by that guy. I would never have thought of doing that and I even had a nan in Whitehorse Lane!!

palaceboy1
19-07-2015, 08:37 AM
I actually qualified for 2 tickets as season ticket holder and golden eagles member . When i got to the front of the queue i asked which they wanted and a women snatched both from me from behind the counter said i could have only one ticket which is all i asked for and only returned the golden eagles , still annoys me now .
I had a relation who worked for the football trust that offered me a cup final ticket every year which i refused until 1990 . I made sure it went to another Palace fan who unfortunately had to sit amongst numerous man u in the Trust area

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Somewhere on a TDK cassette I have the Capital Radio news report from the queue for those replay tickets. IIRC it started off as two tickets per voucher and then the decision was made to limit it to just one ticket. As the reporter is recording his piece some Palace in the best 'geezer' accent starts a chant of 'TWO TICKETS PER VAAH-CHA!!' According to the report the chant worked and the club relented. If you got two tickets for your voucher then you owe that man a pint!!

I played that so many times that summer (it was in the middle of a load of songs taped off the radio) that I still chant in my head 'TWO TICKETS PER VOUCHER!"

Whoever you were sir, you'll always be a legend in my eyes!

mewsend
30-03-2016, 10:17 PM
did anyone see the program later that week all about the game and what the police did? me and my family were on it and i was filmed and interviewed and gave the copper some banter. would love to know if anyone videooed it it.i think it was crimewatch monthly or something like it

WLYWLYAWYPWF
30-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Somewhere on a TDK cassette I have the Capital Radio news report from the queue for those replay tickets. IIRC it started off as two tickets per voucher and then the decision was made to limit it to just one ticket. As the reporter is recording his piece some Palace in the best 'geezer' accent starts a chant of 'TWO TICKETS PER VAAH-CHA!!' According to the report the chant worked and the club relented. If you got two tickets for your voucher then you owe that man a pint!!

I played that so many times that summer (it was in the middle of a load of songs taped off the radio) that I still chant in my head 'TWO TICKETS PER VOUCHER!"

Whoever you were sir, you'll always be a legend in my eyes!

I thought the replay was a "free for all" ticket wise?

Glaws Eagle
31-03-2016, 09:25 AM
My neighbour has these for sale. They will be going on EBay together soon or if anyone is interested let me know?

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b555/vitesse11/image.jpg1_zpsehzzlxfw.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/vitesse11/media/image.jpg1_zpsehzzlxfw.jpg.html)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b555/vitesse11/image.jpg2_zpsv3hdizuy.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/vitesse11/media/image.jpg2_zpsv3hdizuy.jpg.html)

how cringeworthy ... but I have a pristine copy too ... hidden away within my Penthouse mags!!

Dorking .Eagle
31-03-2016, 03:49 PM
I thought the replay was a "free for all" ticket wise?

For the replay I queued from about 6am and got my ticket at about 1pm. At that time the limit was 10 per person, cash only.

I had my stub from the Final in case I needed it, but there was no requirements at all. And I couldn't prove I was anything else as the club had taken everything off me when I got my Final ticket!

I started queuing on Clifton Road, near the Clifton Arms, and the queue went to Whitehorse Lane, round the petrol station, then it snaked a bit in both Sainsburys car park and the club car park before you came out where the fancy gates are now, onto Holmesdale Road and you bought from the little ticket windows.

There was a house on Clifton Road that was doing a roaring trade selling teas and coffees to the passing queue, and newspaper sellers going up and down the queue (people were buying armfuls, presumably for scrapbooks)

mewsend
22-04-2016, 04:41 PM
After the final there was a program on tv possibly the thursday called crime monthly or something similar , part of it was about the final , about the day including before after and during. I was on it with a lot of my family and friends on the bus that was pulled over by the police for drinking etc .
Did anyone make a copy? it was good to see and worth a watch and i would like to see it again.

FourtyTwo
27-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Just thinking about it now, and wondered what people thought would have happened had there been no replays and the game had gone to penalties after extra time.

Leighton was in poor form, and Martyn was the better of the two keepers IMO, but given the big match experience of the Man Utd players, would that have helped them pull through? I suspect if penalties had been an option, Gray wouldn't have gone off at the end like he did, but who would have taken the others?

Bubble Wrap
01-05-2016, 05:36 PM
3-3 final was a brilliant day, Party atmosphere and Victoria was buzzing.
Replay was totally different, lots of trouble and both sets of fans totally pissed and going toe to toe on the trains and in the ground, hope we get the party atmosphere again and revenge.