PDA

View Full Version : Double over Liverpool

tasty_snacks
18-05-2015, 04:33 PM
After our glorious win on Saturday, I got to thinking whether that was our first win at Anfield in the league. I couldn't remember any off the the top of my head, but a glance at the H2H revealed that we did win there 25 years ago.

2nd November 1991
Liverpool 1 - 2 Palace

This was the first season I went to a few home matches and started taking an interest in our fortunes, but don't recall anything about this match. I do remember the home match, which we also won, thus completing the double that year too. Seems like such a momentous result should have more of a place in Palace folklore, yet I know nothing about it!

Anyone there who can recount the details for me?

David of Kent
18-05-2015, 04:51 PM
We were on the back foot for a lot of it, but GT had a stormer as did Gabbiadini. Think they scored the goals too. We'd lost 12-0 over the two previous games there so this was much needed. Goals apart my main memory is of Dean Saunders diving several times late on trying to get the usual (at the time) LFC penalty

James
18-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Wasn't that the time we all took silly hats? All I can remember is Gabbiadini scoring at the Kop End (a long way from where I was) and being pushed and falling down two rows and hurting my knee.

Youngy
18-05-2015, 04:59 PM
That 2-1 win was the last time I went to Anfield.
Have only been twice, on the other occasion nine goals were scored......

James
18-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Just found this:

q1XEv5GbcNI

jaspercpfc
18-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Best away day of that campaign, even Coppell remarked that that was the best morale amongst the playing staff coming back to London.
Gabbiadini who was regarded as a flop by many fans, during his 5 month spell, was superb that day, chasing lost causes and putting the Liverpool defence under pressure at every opportunity. Liverpool were in a state of transition, and were slowly losing there mantra, having dominated at the top for so long. It was terrific atmosphere, and the Palace following were vocal. Not sure who arranged it, but wasn't it "silly hat day" couple with thousands of balloons in the away end. It had been a tough period for the club, what with Wright's sudden departure, the fall out from Noades appearance on C4 programme, the loss of losing Salako for the campaign to a cruiciate knee injury. We went one down to a powerful header from Glenn Hysen into the kop end. Ironically Hysen's only other league goal for Liverpool came against us in the 9-0 defeat two seasons earlier. Gabiaddini equalised tucking the ball away at the near post, before Thomas scored from a far post header from a Jolly corner.
Needless to say our following away game after that success at Anfield ended in a 5-1 defeat to Forest

King William
18-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Cracking day, and very very good atmosphere

Sleeping Giant
18-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Proper Brazil kit then too with the green trim. Would love to see that back.

in-exile
18-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Cracking day, and very very good atmosphereWasn't there a small kick off between some of our fans...some guy near us smacked a lady and all it went off...:(

WLYWLYAWYPWF
18-05-2015, 06:11 PM
It was the same day as the Rugby World Cup Final when England lost against Australia. Got our minibus wipers sabotaged by the scouse scallys during the game so ended up playing rugby on a petrol station forecourt with one of the free mini rugby balls they were promoting whilst we waited for the RAC. Was expecting a big job when the RAC man showed but he just jumped out with a spanner,tightened the wiper nuts and said see you later lads. Apparently they have the same call out every match day. He was a very nice man.

Typical Palace
18-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Eagle Eye organised the 'silly hats' theme and there was a huge take up on the idea, it really took off.

I really don't remember anything except Gabbiadini's goal. I wasn't very well and not able to enjoy the great occasion.

Was it then Souness was manager and accused us of 'mugging' Liverpool? Or was that another time.

orp pisshead1
19-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Marco was never a flop , quality player who's strengths we rarely played too.

orp pisshead1
19-05-2015, 03:28 AM
Eagle Eye organised the 'silly hats' theme and there was a huge take up on the idea, it really took off.

I really don't remember anything except Gabbiadini's goal. I wasn't very well and not able to enjoy the great occasion.

Was it then Souness was manager and accused us of 'mugging' Liverpool? Or was that another time.

Mugging and Liverpool never thought I'd see those words in same sentence.

Am certain we went on the EE coach , stopped nr stoke on way up iircc.

Sleeping Giant
19-05-2015, 09:55 PM

Spot on, 1 in 3 top flight scorer for us. Good ratio. Great context in the goals too usually winners or point gainers like Punch last season. My kind of failure.

Eaglez
20-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Was a legend up at Darlo late 90's.

Crozzy71
21-05-2015, 05:18 AM
That 1991 match is in my top 10 away days.

About a dozen of us started off in Champers before moving on to the SW1 club at Victoria. Our designated mini-bus driver parked around the corner and got his head down.

We came out of there around 6am and headed straight for the M1. With a stop and change of clothes on the services (I was 'confused' and stood next to the petrol pumps, removed my jeans and top, put them back on and re-entered the bus announcing that "that feels better".

Beers were consumed on route until we got the Albert Docks around opening time. We stayed there until 2ish and drove to the ground. We purposely went via The Kop and were all hanging out of the windows shouting the most abusive things we could to the scousers. Have to say, looking back we were quite vile.

We came away with the 3 points, headed home with a stop in Stony Stratford for beer before catching last orders in The Blue Anchor.

Great days !!

EnglandEagle
21-05-2015, 06:16 AM

It wasn't a silly hat day it was a Brazil party in homage to the away kit and people were wearing sumbreados. Probably because we weren't as well traveled back in 1991 and Mexicans and Brazilians were pretty much the same thing.

Eagle Eye ran a front cover with all the players having Brazilian names like Martyniho and Thorniho. Our current manager was portrayed as Dunga by the way and more as reference to the suggestion in the name rather than some great insight that he would go on to manage.

In reference to the previous two visits the cover also carried the statement that first there was 9-0, then there was Stivie Copple's red n' blue army. This time we're coming back and we're bringing the first team.

The reference to SC' red n' blue army was about the previous season when we'd played them midweek and that chant had started just before half time and continued until the end of the match. It had been on the radio and Alan Green had continually refrrenced the noise being made by the Palace fans. EE had printed a transcript of the 2nd half commentary to remind everyone and the half time whistle was the signal to get going. Don't think that it lasted until the end of the game because it was unexpectedly interrupted by two goals.

New LP
22-05-2015, 07:17 AM

In the context of Palace and replacing Wright he was a nailed on flop.

EmmerGreenEagle
22-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Ally Brown was a flop. Marco was not

Olympian2
22-05-2015, 07:46 AM
My turquoise Avenger suffered a massive blow out doing 80mph on the M6 on the way to that game. Car flew across the hard shoulder, up a bank, hit a few trees and came to rest back on the hard shoulder. For a few seconds, honestly didn't know whether I was alive or not.

Didn't reach Anfield that day but watched some of the Rugby World Cup final in a pick-up yard near Stoke, waiting for the RAC to return us to London. Still got the unused ticket from that game.

Took the train the following season. We got dicked 5-0.....

stevek
22-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Pretty sure the 'mugging' was later - when we had the likes of Bobby Bowry in the team!

Sakhalin Rich
22-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I remember wearing a ridiculous hat that day - it was the type of hat that mothers wear at a wedding - pillbox with a lace veil. Felt a little foolish, but the result and a few beers helped ☺️

may blunderer
22-05-2015, 09:27 AM
I remember the game well and I would have been with Typical Palace, Tony, etc but I cannot for the life of me remember me or anyone else wearing a hat. Great away day though.

Typical Palace
22-05-2015, 01:40 PM
It wasn't a silly hat day it was a Brazil party in homage to the away kit and people were wearing sumbreados. Probably because we weren't as well traveled back in 1991 and Mexicans and Brazilians were pretty much the same thing.

Eagle Eye ran a front cover with all the players having Brazilian names like Martyniho and Thorniho. Our current manager was portrayed as Dunga by the way and more as reference to the suggestion in the name rather than some great insight that he would go on to manage.

In reference to the previous two visits the cover also carried the statement that first there was 9-0, then there was Stivie Copple's red n' blue army. This time we're coming back and we're bringing the first team.

The reference to SC' red n' blue army was about the previous season when we'd played them midweek and that chant had started just before half time and continued until the end of the match. It had been on the radio and Alan Green had continually refrrenced the noise being made by the Palace fans. EE had printed a transcript of the 2nd half commentary to remind everyone and the half time whistle was the signal to get going. Don't think that it lasted until the end of the game because it was unexpectedly interrupted by two goals.
It was definitely a silly hat theme, not Brazil theme. There were all sorts of hats, not just sombreros, though the kit and the Brazil cover (yes you're right, Pardew =Dung(a)! can't remember the others, perhaps Gray-zinho all expertly illustrated by 'Eric the Nijnas Headband' on here) were around at the same time.

One issue of EE had the fans in the away end at Anfield as a cover, half red, half blue the time after the 9-0 when the rednblarmy went on for over 45 minutes.