PDA

View Full Version : Best Speroni saves/performances

AndyStreet
19-05-2015, 10:40 AM
In a week we have the testimonial for a genuine Palace legend. There's another thread for various people to moan that he's not as good as Courtois or to decry the fact that we're not playing away at Boca Juniors for his testominal.

But in this thread, let's look back. What are your favourite Jules memories/saves? Obviously the Ashley Barnes and Troy Deeney saves stick in the recent memory, but I'm sure people will have others.

:love: :love: :love:

EagleSE24
19-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Game that comes immediately to mind was our 2-0 loss to Man City in the Carling Cup in 2009. Speroni was outstanding and I seem to remember a quite remarkable 1-1 save to boot. The kind of save that a commentator might say he had no right to make.

AndyStreet
19-05-2015, 10:48 AM
GJLxRRGjFd0

AndyStreet
19-05-2015, 10:55 AM
U90png3tsBw

EagleSE24
19-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Here's why Dundee fans love him

W1anEALRa_Q

Jim Cannon
19-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Palm onto bar from Barnes v Brighton Play Off was pretty amazing

Latvian Eagle
19-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Here's why Dundee fans love him

W1anEALRa_Q

Weirdly I thought the last two saves in that were pretty normal saves. The save from the FK, number 2 was the best in there.

CPFC_DAVE77
19-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Weirdly I thought the last two saves in that were pretty normal saves. The save from the FK, number 2 was the best in there.

Aye but the opposition may have changed the perspective of the saves from their perspective?

Latvian Eagle
19-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Aye but the opposition may have changed the perspective of the saves from their perspective?

I did think that actually.

kolinkins
19-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I seem to remember 2 or 3 world class saves v Liverpool at home in the League Cup, in his second season when Dowie gave him a run-out after dropping him 12 months earlier.

Latvian Eagle
19-05-2015, 12:00 PM
I seem to remember 2 or 3 world class saves v Liverpool at home in the League Cup, in his second season when Dowie gave him a run-out after dropping him 12 months earlier.

He was quality in that game. But I seem to remember he played a few League games that season (Plymouth springs to mind) and he was slated big time. Many thought his Palace career was over then.

I remember he played vs Sunderland in December 2006 and he put in one of the finest performances I have ever seen by a Palace keeper that night. Unfortunately he then got injured and didn't appear again until our last home game of the season.

kolinkins
19-05-2015, 12:02 PM
I remember he played vs Sunderland in December 2006 and he put in one of the finest performances I have ever seen by a Palace keeper that night. Unfortunately he then got injured and didn't appear again until our last home game of the season.

Because Peter Taylor in his time here couldn't spot talent if it walked over to him and slapped him in the face. FLINDERS FFS.

NorthPalace23
19-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Most important saves: Barnes (Brighton) in the play off semi. Deeney (Watford) in the play off final. Any save he made V Sheffield Wednesday in May 2010!

Latvian Eagle
19-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Because Peter Taylor in his time here couldn't spot talent if it walked over to him and slapped him in the face. FLINDERS FFS.

I don't get why when Jules was fit after that injury though it took so long for him to come back in. Flinders was ******* terrible, and Kiraly was past his best then.

zonin2000
19-05-2015, 12:54 PM
He was quality in that game. But I seem to remember he played a few League games that season (Plymouth springs to mind) and he was slated big time. Many thought his Palace career was over then.
Funny to look back at some of these comments - not to poke fun at the posters with hindsight (they will remain anonymous) or because of some anti Speroni agenda - but to celebrate how far he's turned his Palace career around.

seems like a nice bloke, pulls off the odd blinding save . . . but Kiraly has got to come back between the sticks. He seems to really instill a sense of panic into our defence, and his kicking from back passes etc is atrocious. Thought he may have been badly placed for the first goal but it was so early I was barely watching the game! I actually quite like the guy, but ever since Everton he just creates panic among fans and players alike. A good back up option, but shouldn't be keeping Gabor out of the side.

Speroni needs to be dropped - he's probably cost us a goal a game - and his confidence is shot to pieces again (it doesn't seem to take much)

Plymouth fans we spoke to after game reckon we played a better passing game & they weren't convinced they should have won as convincingly as the scoreline suggests. However they were all unanimous that Speroni should be dropped!!!

Get Speroni out of the first team and bring back Kiraly or get a keeper that talks to his defence

Speroni slicing a free kick into touch with a couple of minutes to go was not his worst mistake, but it summed up the quality of his performance quite nicely. What the hell is this guy doing in the team?

There seems little or no communication with his defenders, crosses were bouncing in our six-yard box, and his kicking was excrecable. Kiraly must return.

Unforgivable error for the goal. Anyone who thinks otherwise must have had a bad view. He watched it into the net, a more basic stop you couldn't wish for. And yes I'm a goalie. Seol nearly had him twice more on the far post. No command of the box. A couple of good saves doesn't make up for single-handedly costing us 3 points.

It's ok making great saves but he doesn't do the bread and butter stuff well. Looks like a little kid.

Speroni is the worst keeper in the league full stop (name one who is worse???)

And then almost a decade later...

Jules for me. Diddly squat to do all game. Then another wonder-save.

If Argentina have got 3 better keepers than him then 31 teams might as well not turn up at the World Cup.

Absolutely remarkable save from Speroni at the end! Probably his best this season I reckon.

Speroni for me. Once again he made another game changing save near the end.

...until near the end when Speroni made that wonderful save (for Christ's sake give that man a new contract asap, beggars belief that we haven't tied him down to one).

. I think we’ve underrated Julian this season as we are so used to his quality by now, the match- or point-winning save expected.

Didn't have much to do but that save has kept us in the Premier League. Was perfect in terms of coming for crosses and being composed.

Get's a 9 just for his save at the end. Give this legend a new contract!!

only one serious save for Speroni, but what a save. 6? yards out a deft flick from a low cross was on its way, seemingly into the corner of the net was miraculously palmed (maybe finger tipped) past the post. I know we say it every week but for me this one may have Julians best save of a the season. All around me people erupted. I was just stunned

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595908-1CABF89B00000578-936_634x428.jpg

AndyStreet
19-05-2015, 12:55 PM
:lux: :lux: :lux:

NorthPalace23
19-05-2015, 12:55 PM
He made a save against WBA at home (last season) I think from Scott Sinclair? That was a world class save!

kevb
19-05-2015, 01:05 PM
I always remember our final home game in administration against West Brom. I think it was 1-1 by that time and West Brom were clean through in the 1st half, with just Jules to beat; and he did what he has always done. He came out, made himself huge - and saved the attempt.

It's not the save itself that sticks out for me on a night when he was again superb, it's just that at the time I remember not being worried in the slightest. I just remember thinking - no worries, Jules will save it.

Jasper
19-05-2015, 01:13 PM
There was a save at home to Leeds a few years back that was unbelievable. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the compilation videos.

Palaceboy222
19-05-2015, 02:12 PM
I always remember our final home game in administration against West Brom. I think it was 1-1 by that time and West Brom were clean through in the 1st half, with just Jules to beat; and he did what he has always done. He came out, made himself huge - and saved the attempt.

It's not the save itself that sticks out for me on a night when he was again superb, it's just that at the time I remember not being worried in the slightest. I just remember thinking - no worries, Jules will save it.

That was a very special performance in what could have been our last ever game at Selhurst.

NorthPalace23
19-05-2015, 06:27 PM
http://t.co/UekwJ5gsCp

old geezer
19-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Brighton in the play offs for me for that all important save

Palaceboy222
20-05-2015, 01:35 AM
QPR Home 2007, Morrison scored his 100th goal for the club in the last minute to draw 1-1. Speroni had been amazing all game, saving three one on ones. We were lucky not to be 5-0 down when Clinton scored. Jules was our only defense that day!

Oli28
23-05-2015, 11:45 PM
His save at Charlton away in 2007 (Friday night match, we lost 2-0) was one of the best saves I've ever seen. Think it was from zheng zhi. Moved his whole body one way but still managed to get a palm to the shot that ended up going away from him.

Marki
24-05-2015, 05:59 AM
GJLxRRGjFd0

Never had him down as any good at saving penalties, but there are a few over the years.

Nice vid. :p

mroakley9
24-05-2015, 06:25 AM
K-NYhdAZL6s

This save for Dundee is brilliant