PDA

View Full Version : Favourite season watching palace.

burgess hill 84
01-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Whats your favourite season following Palace, mine is 1978/79 when we won the league. What a great young team that was.

Crozzy71
01-06-2015, 07:22 AM
I think 1988/89 for me. Went to every game home and away and ended with that glorious play off win against Blackburn.

I can still feel some of the effects of the hangover.

Maiden Eagle
01-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I should really say 90/91, when we came 3rd, but for some reason, I missed quite a lot of games that season.

So it has to be 93/94 when we won the C'Ship under Smith. Not just because we won most of the games, but for the first half of the season, we played some really good football, which was great, because it had become increasingly dire under Coppell.

I think Smith panicked a bit when we lost a few matches just after Xmas, so he signed Paul Stewart and we became quite direct again, but won most of our games, again !

jonn63
01-06-2015, 07:39 AM
79-80 did not miss a game home and away..no kids no mortgage. .loads a money.

old geezer
01-06-2015, 08:02 AM
My 4 favourite seasons
1 1990/91 we came third!
2 1978/79 we played some beautiful football in that promotion year
3 1968/69 promted to top division for first time
4 1975/76 for the cup run, some beautiful football and big Mal

cpfc4evandeva
01-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I enjoyed 07/08 a lot. Watching us change from a weak, slow, poor team into a strong, pacey, winning one was great to watch. Just a matter of inches from a play-off final I'm sure.

Ditto 03/04, but we went one better :)

Winner for me has to be 09/10. The spirit in that side was out of this world.

The last 3 seasons have been pretty darn good too.

PeterH
01-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I should really say 90/91, when we came 3rd, but for some reason, I missed quite a lot of games that season.

So it has to be 93/94 when we won the C'Ship under Smith. Not just because we won most of the games, but for the first half of the season, we played some really good football, which was great, because it had become increasingly dire under Coppell.

I think Smith panicked a bit when we lost a few matches just after Xmas, so he signed Paul Stewart and we became quite direct again, but won most of our games, again !

THIS

the drexciyan
01-06-2015, 08:18 PM
1988-89.

Promotion, the rave era, the student life. It was pretty much the perfect year but Palace getting promoted after seeing us sink in the early 80s and emerge again under Coppell was what made it ******* magic.

Typical Palace
01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I think 1988/89 for me. Went to every game home and away and ended with that glorious play off win against Blackburn.

That's one of my favourites too. I correctly predicted the top three of Division 2; Chelsea, Man City and Palace third. Unfortunately I was so green at betting I only got Palace each way for the title and didn't win very much money. The only other time I bet big on Palace was Championship year. :)

Palaceboy222
01-06-2015, 11:38 PM
09/10...

I went to every game, the togetherness of fans and players, Butterfield's hat trick, the ground United home to Peterborough in the game after admin, surviving everything, the commitment of Hill, Derry, Butts, Lawrence, McCarthy, Lee, Speroni, Ertl and co., wilf's debut, the best palace atmosphere ever- Watford away 3-1, the players reactions after that game, Paddy and Lawrence's man hug, Hillsborough, Clint Hill in boxers taking on half of Sheffield, Ambrose all season- especially his goal vs Villa and in the last minute at Scunthorpe, realising realising we'd got our star man for free from Charlton, winning away at west Bromwich, only losing five away games all season, the party at Newcastle despite all the fear, Lee Hills putting in the worst performance I've ever seen at Doncaster but returning to play heroically in the following games despite limited ability - everyone gave their all, even Stern John in the end, Lloyds bank and the scenes around it, Ambrose sliding towards the away end, Freedman giving up his playing career to be our assistant manager, blaming everything on Rob Shoebridge for ignoring Freddy Sears goal at Bristol, Moses overhead kick, and his goals at reading, as well as emotionally waving goodbye to the Holmesdale after dispatching Ipswich, Derby away; the crowd, the commitment, the party and Stern John, meeting some of my closes friends, constantly reading up on various financial terms and implications, CPFC2010 riding in to save us.

2009/10. As Matt Lawrence put it:

The story before the new beginning.

Palaceboy222
01-06-2015, 11:38 PM
09/10...

I went to every game, the togetherness of fans and players, Butterfield's hat trick, the ground United home to Peterborough in the game after admin, surviving everything, the commitment of Hill, Derry, Butts, Lawrence, McCarthy, Lee, Speroni, Ertl and co., wilf's debut, the best palace atmosphere ever- Watford away 3-1, the players reactions after that game, Paddy and Lawrence's man hug, Hillsborough, Clint Hill in boxers taking on half of Sheffield, Ambrose all season- especially his goal vs Villa and in the last minute at Scunthorpe, realising we'd got our star man for free from Charlton, winning away at west Bromwich, only losing five away games all season, the party at Newcastle despite all the fear, Lee Hills putting in the worst performance I've ever seen at Doncaster but returning to play heroically in the following games despite limited ability - everyone gave their all, even Stern John in the end, Lloyds bank and the scenes around it, Ambrose sliding towards the away end, Freedman giving up his playing career to be our assistant manager, blaming everything on Rob Shoebridge for ignoring Freddy Sears goal at Bristol, Moses overhead kick, and his goals at reading, as well as emotionally waving goodbye to the Holmesdale after dispatching Ipswich, Derby away; the crowd, the commitment, the party and Stern John, meeting some of my closest friends, constantly reading up on various financial terms and implications, CPFC2010 riding in to save us.

2009/10. As Matt Lawrence put it:

The story before the new beginning.

JohnInTheUSA
02-06-2015, 12:14 AM
88/89. the best time of my life! Went to every home game that season (except Swindon play-off for some reason). My first full Palace season having returned to the fray on occasion the year before. epic year on so many different levels

JohnInTheUSA
02-06-2015, 12:14 AM

cpfcfly
02-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Been supporting since 2002/2003.

09/10

But could've been a whole lot different!

cpfcfly
02-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Been supporting since 2002/2003.

09/10

But could've been a whole lot different!

Hedgehog
02-06-2015, 12:59 AM
1975/76 (if that was the cup run season)

We were walking the league up until Christmas undefeated up until Millwall I believe) then went shit, but got the Cup Semi Final after Xmas, playing comically bad between the cup games.

78/79 was special for the ending - but made hard work at times getting there.

Dorking .Eagle
02-06-2015, 05:46 AM
93/94. Not just the fact we stormed it, but some really memorable games.

Scoring 4 and 5 in a week against Birmingham and Portsmouth.

The Portsmouth 5-1 was like a goal of the season competition

Humphrey scoring from miles out.

Squeezing into Oxford ground on Boxing Day

Places like the Baseball ground and 'Christmas number One' at Tranmere

Paul Stewart adding the class to get us over the line. Armstong scoring for fun. Salako returning from injury and getting a hat trick on his return

An amazing day at Stoke's old ground, when we won and everyone around us in the table lost

Party time at Luton, what a day.

Champions at Ayresome Park.

Last stand against Watford.

Alan Smith really had to complete support and adoration of everyone at the time, so much positivity, and we were a magnificent team
Just a fantastic season

sherstonpalace
02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
93/94. Not just the fact we stormed it, but some really memorable games.

Scoring 4 and 5 in a week against Birmingham and Portsmouth.

The Portsmouth 5-1 was like a goal of the season competition

Humphrey scoring from miles out.

Squeezing into Oxford ground on Boxing Day

Places like the Baseball ground and 'Christmas number One' at Tranmere

Paul Stewart adding the class to get us over the line. Armstong scoring for fun. Salako returning from injury and getting a hat trick on his return

An amazing day at Stoke's old ground, when we won and everyone around us in the table lost

Party time at Luton, what a day.

Champions at Ayresome Park.

Last stand against Watford.

Alan Smith really had to complete support and adoration of everyone at the time, so much positivity, and we were a magnificent team
Just a fantastic season

Humphrey? Southgate, surely.....

ScottHooky
02-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Definitely Southgate in the Pompey game although I think Humphrey got a screamer against Wolves (?) that year?

ScottHooky
02-06-2015, 06:07 AM
2003-2004

IanH
02-06-2015, 06:16 AM
For the football it has to be the Championship winning year (1993-1994). For the crack, any of the seasons from 1982 to 1986!

EagleSE24
02-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Definitely Southgate in the Pompey game although I think Humphrey got a screamer against Wolves (?) that year?

Yes. Humphrey scored a cracker against Wolves. There was also Dean Gordon's last minute thunderbolt against Derby and of course, Coleman's infamous 'meatball header' against WBA.

liberal clubber
02-06-2015, 01:11 PM
this year, that run of aways under Pardew will take some beating and I can remember the 70s!

LONDONMAN
02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
This may sound strange to Palace fans that were not around in the 1970's, but even the three year stay in Division Three between 1974 and 1977 was a great time to follow the club.

We had stars in our team that could have graced a top flight team (Don Rogers, Alan Whittle and Peter Taylor when we went down in'74) and by the time we did come up, we had possibly even greater players breaking through in Kenny Sansom, Vince Hilaire and all time Palace legends such as Jim Cannon, Paul Hinshelwood and Dave Swindlehurst who had established themselves as our main players, all coming through the Palace Youth teams in earlier years.

All that and the famous FA Cup run to the Semi Final in 1975/76, beating Walton & Hersham and Millwall at home (after drawing at the old Den) and then having to travel to Scarborough, Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland and beating them all before falling at the last hurdle before Wembley against Southampton back at Stamford Bridge.

My favourite season and my first watching Palace both home and away (after going to home games since 1970 as a kid) was the 1976/77 season.

There was a bit of sadness at the start, with Malcolm Allison quitting after the failure to go up in the previous two seasons and the disappointment of losing in the Semi Final, but after one of the greatest Summers of my young life (1976), there was an air of change and expectancy when Terry Venables took over from Big Mal.

Peter Taylor left after just a couple of weeks and it took some time for that position to be filled out wide, as he was simply our greatest player of the time.

The season did not have the impetus of 74/75 and 75/76 to start with and the main feature of the early months was our epic 1st Round Cup FA Cup tie with Brighton, which again got settled at Stamford Bridge, in dramatic scenes after two previous matches had been drawn at Brighton and Selhurst, Alan Mullery's outburst after Brighton were wrongly denied a late penalty equaliser as Palace won 1-0 was the iconic moment that confirmed a rivalry that had been brewing in the previous two seasons.

Fact was, Brighton in 1976/77 was probably our most local game anyway as Palace were the only London team in Division Three that season.

Palace got as far as the 3rd Round that season, going out to Liverpool 3-2 at SP after a very creditable 0-0 draw at Anfield against the Reds, who were on their way to their first ever European Cup win just months later. Being a Palace fan back in the 70's was weird as you would be watching us at home to clubs like Halifax or Walsall one week in the League and then away to Leeds or Liverpool in front of 40,000 in the Cup!

To be honest, after the defeat to Liverpool, Palace actually slipped to mid-table in 3rd Divison, losing away to York 2-1, in front of just a couple of thousand people was our lowest point in League football since about 1963.

But gradually, we fought back to just get a chance of making the third spot for promotion by May. two wins over Wrexham in the last couple of weeks sealed our promotion, with a big helping hand from champions Mansfield, who beat the Welsh team on the final day, when Palace did not have a fixture, the win also denied Brighton, in 2nd place, the 3rd Division Title - the scenes of joy were the forerunner of many happy days since, after several years of struggle.

My favourite stars of that season were Jeff Bourne, a classy striker that we signed from Derby at the end of the March transfer deadline and Rachid (Rash the Smash) Harkouk, a swashbuckling midfielder with a shot like a rocket and a mean tackler (especially when we were playing Brighton!).

We also had the legendary George Graham in midfield (Stroller) who went on to manage North London minnows Arsenal and the season saw the emegrence of Kenny Sansom as our regular left back at just 17 years old, an all time great in Palace's back four.

All the team were heroes really, we also had players like Phil Holder another tough midfielder, Steve Perrin who could also hit a good long distance shot now and again.

Great memories and to cap it all, the Palace Youth team won our first ever FA Youth Cup 1-0 against Everton in front of 13,000 at Selhurst Park in the fortnight that the first team got promoted.

Still one of the most exciting periods to watch Palace in the last 40 years for my money!

Newozeagle
02-06-2015, 02:25 PM
1976/77 ...the year I fell in love with CPFC... Loved it so much that I even went to loads of reserves games. Reason...refer to Londonman's comments :-)
Rash the Smash season!!

Hedgehog
03-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Exactly LONDONMAN - agree with every word.

Bintang
03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I'm with LONDONMAN on his choice. Was fun going down to Selhurst in those days and some happy memories.

audreytatou
03-06-2015, 07:40 AM
1976/77 ...the year I fell in love with CPFC... Loved it so much that I even went to loads of reserves games. Reason...refer to Londonman's comments :-)
Rash the Smash season!!

same year as me Newoz:hi: awesome:lux::lux: times

Vince Hilaire's Afro
03-06-2015, 09:02 AM
For me, it would have to be one of the seasons Ian Wright played for us. Often worth the entrance fee on his own.

dmf73
03-06-2015, 09:23 AM
88/89 year we went up through the plays offs v Blackburn.
Was only 16 but went to so many games and witnessed the Wright bright partnership in full flow. Was brilliant.

cpfcpaulo2
04-06-2015, 01:04 PM
88/89 year we went up through the plays offs v Blackburn.
Was only 16 but went to so many games and witnessed the Wright bright partnership in full flow. Was brilliant.

Me too - was 21 so great time to follow Palace with my mates, beers everywhere. I think I went to about 14 aways games that year so easily my most games in a season.

orp pisshead1
04-06-2015, 10:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^:lux::lux:.

orp pisshead1
04-06-2015, 10:59 PM
For the football it has to be the Championship winning year (1993-1994). For the crack, any of the seasons from 1982 to 1986!

True 82/86:p.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
05-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Just read Londonman's post . Says it all for me.

JJ
05-06-2015, 09:16 AM
1989-90 was right up there for me for a number of reasons:
- Back in the First Division
- Wright and Bright showing everyone they could do in that division too
- GT and Andy Gray taking no prisoners in midfield
- Beating quite a few so-called established teams
- Nigel Martyn being the world record fee for a GK
- Slightly bizarrely enjoying the 0-9
- Winning at Old Trafford
- Surviving fairly comfortably
- THAT semi-final
- THAT FA Cup Final

delboy01
05-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Have to agree with londonman. Except he forgot to mention we had lost our keepers to injury and had an outfield player take over in goal for the last home game. Forget who. And our junior gk at wrexham. 2-2 with 90 secs left and we scored twice to make it 4-2. The ob decided to kick it off with us at ht and on the way back to the station and came unstuck bigtime!!! They had crash helmets on at ht and laid into some younsters! They gave it large to the palace and took a right kicking. I remember one of their crash helmets came off and I thought his head was still in it!!! They exited stage right rather rapidly.

aj4england
05-06-2015, 09:44 AM
03/04 felt confident we had a chance in every game while AJ was playing and travelled the country to see him.

12/13 from freedman to holloway it was just a rollercoaster. Seeing Wilf at his best was a joy though.Peterborough away will never be forgotten

13/14 staying up, the atmosphere at home games, exceeding expectations

OldPeanutSeller
05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
This may sound strange to Palace fans that were not around in the 1970's, but even the three year stay in Division Three between 1974 and 1977 was a great time to follow the club.

We had stars in our team that could have graced a top flight team (Don Rogers, Alan Whittle and Peter Taylor when we went down in'74) and by the time we did come up, we had possibly even greater players breaking through in Kenny Sansom, Vince Hilaire and all time Palace legends such as Jim Cannon, Paul Hinshelwood and Dave Swindlehurst who had established themselves as our main players, all coming through the Palace Youth teams in earlier years.

All that and the famous FA Cup run to the Semi Final in 1975/76, beating Walton & Hersham and Millwall at home (after drawing at the old Den) and then having to travel to Scarborough, Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland and beating them all before falling at the last hurdle before Wembley against Southampton back at Stamford Bridge.

My favourite season and my first watching Palace both home and away (after going to home games since 1970 as a kid) was the 1976/77 season.

There was a bit of sadness at the start, with Malcolm Allison quitting after the failure to go up in the previous two seasons and the disappointment of losing in the Semi Final, but after one of the greatest Summers of my young life (1976), there was an air of change and expectancy when Terry Venables took over from Big Mal.

Peter Taylor left after just a couple of weeks and it took some time for that position to be filled out wide, as he was simply our greatest player of the time.

The season did not have the impetus of 74/75 and 75/76 to start with and the main feature of the early months was our epic 1st Round Cup FA Cup tie with Brighton, which again got settled at Stamford Bridge, in dramatic scenes after two previous matches had been drawn at Brighton and Selhurst, Alan Mullery's outburst after Brighton were wrongly denied a late penalty equaliser as Palace won 1-0 was the iconic moment that confirmed a rivalry that had been brewing in the previous two seasons.

Fact was, Brighton in 1976/77 was probably our most local game anyway as Palace were the only London team in Division Three that season.

Palace got as far as the 3rd Round that season, going out to Liverpool 3-2 at SP after a very creditable 0-0 draw at Anfield against the Reds, who were on their way to their first ever European Cup win just months later. Being a Palace fan back in the 70's was weird as you would be watching us at home to clubs like Halifax or Walsall one week in the League and then away to Leeds or Liverpool in front of 40,000 in the Cup!

To be honest, after the defeat to Liverpool, Palace actually slipped to mid-table in 3rd Divison, losing away to York 2-1, in front of just a couple of thousand people was our lowest point in League football since about 1963.

But gradually, we fought back to just get a chance of making the third spot for promotion by May. two wins over Wrexham in the last couple of weeks sealed our promotion, with a big helping hand from champions Mansfield, who beat the Welsh team on the final day, when Palace did not have a fixture, the win also denied Brighton, in 2nd place, the 3rd Division Title - the scenes of joy were the forerunner of many happy days since, after several years of struggle.

My favourite stars of that season were Jeff Bourne, a classy striker that we signed from Derby at the end of the March transfer deadline and Rachid (Rash the Smash) Harkouk, a swashbuckling midfielder with a shot like a rocket and a mean tackler (especially when we were playing Brighton!).

We also had the legendary George Graham in midfield (Stroller) who went on to manage North London minnows Arsenal and the season saw the emegrence of Kenny Sansom as our regular left back at just 17 years old, an all time great in Palace's back four.

All the team were heroes really, we also had players like Phil Holder another tough midfielder, Steve Perrin who could also hit a good long distance shot now and again.

Great memories and to cap it all, the Palace Youth team won our first ever FA Youth Cup 1-0 against Everton in front of 13,000 at Selhurst Park in the fortnight that the first team got promoted.

Still one of the most exciting periods to watch Palace in the last 40 years for my money!

All of this.

mik59
05-06-2015, 09:58 AM
90/1 for me too. I had moved back to South London, at aged 30 I had my first full salaried job so some money if not a lot, and my first commitment was to start going to SP as often as I could. I felt quite proud of myself until once in the Arfur a chap in front surveyed the crowd behind and said to his mate "glory hunters!". Crestfallen I was.

david sylvian
05-06-2015, 10:29 AM
88-89 for me too - went to almost every game in the run in - including Swindon and Blackburn away - and to see us start to realise our potential after the barren years of the mid 80s was great.

DryRubber
05-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Dean Gordon hattrick away to West Broom. Can't recall what year that was but enjoyed watching Gorden getting 3. Not bad for a full-back.

bestperch
05-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Remember Deanos' hat-trick , weren't there two pens? My first season 72/73 we won all three games I attended. Have enjoyed all the promotions and ups and downs since then but never felt prouder than when we defied the odds in administration 99/00 and in 09/10.Some of those games could ever be topped.

DryRubber
06-06-2015, 07:29 AM
That's correct. Two pens. Always liked Deano. Can't recall the season but he scored a screamer V Derby once at home to lever the match.

bestperch
06-06-2015, 12:48 PM
That's correct. Two pens. Always liked Deano. Can't recall the season but he scored a screamer V Derby once at home to lever the match.

Sure that was early 94. Think the hat trick was just before xmas 95. Ask me what happened last month and I won't have a bloody clue ! :(

Ismale
06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
For some strange unfathomable reason it will be 1998-99 for me,sums up Palace for me that season! Just 2 defeats at home in 23 matches under Venereals then Sir Steve but just 3 away wins & 15 defeats on the road! We started the season watching the sublime talents of Lombardo-Curcic-Jansen (our 'holy trinity') The emergence of gifted youngsters Hayden Mullins & Clinton Morrisson,The Suprise departures of Edworthy,Hriedarsson,Shipperley & Dyer.The 'talents' of Miller,Amsalem,Austin,Bradbury,ect ect,it was the season we signed Fan Zhiyi & Sun Jihai :lux:

The 2 mysterious Argentinians Christian Ledesma & Pablo Rodriguez (did either ever play? Or even actually sign!?) Walter Del Rio,Gordan Petric,Andy Turner,Nicky Rizzo,Matt Svensson,Craig Foster (a SHIT! Jedinak!) Talk about a multinational line-up! :eek:

The Classy displays of Craig Moore I remember to this day,under Venereals we swept teams aside at home early doors,Bury 4-2 in which I remember Warhurst starting & finishing a move that went from our penalty box to Thiers,fantastic football,Norwich hammered 5-1 in October in which Rizzo scored a swerving 35 yard blinder,Pompey 4-1.It looked like,at home at least! It was slowly coming together! Although our away form was shocking! Seemingly lost by 3's & 4's each away game!

Then Xmas 98 murmurings of financial trouble reared its head,lo & behold come January 'Super Matt' leaves for Blackburn for 4.5M,Lombardo leaves for Lazio (& wins the Cup Winners Cup!) Moore returns to Rangers,Jihai back to Dalian Wanda,Sasa grows a whispy beard & goes on strike! His walk round the ground before the Barnsley/Bradford Sunday game 'Stop the NATO bombing' :D

Sir Steve returns,administration hits,6 leave on loan on deadline day,kids like Woozeley,Evans,Carlisle,Thomson,Martin,Frampton come to the fore,a much malinged Dean Austin gets the winner amongst raptous scenes away at Norwich as part of a 10 match unbeaten run which lifts us upto midtable,The Grim Reaper walking down Holmesdale road before our final home match V Huddersfield,Miller throwing the ball in the net & even missing a pie in our 6-0 hammering at Loftus Road on the last day which keeps the 'Arrr's' up,Fan sent off for 'attacking the ref' pfftt! :D alongside Woozeley,what memories,what a season! :p

dim
06-06-2015, 09:39 PM
86-87.

SussexRed&Blue
06-06-2015, 10:06 PM
First game i went to was in 1980.

1990 Cup Final was special.

1991-1992 was great for results. Went to every league game that season the Wright and Bright show was in full effect!

The last 3 years have been amazing though for drama and success but i would say 2013-2014 for passion and the never say die spirit from the players and the fans.

davech
06-06-2015, 10:35 PM
1969/70. First ever top-flight season.

It finished ridiculously early (beginning of April) because of the 1970 World Cup in Brazil, the best World Cup EVER, but perhaps again nostalgia is taking over (and that is maybe another thread).

All the famous teams and players were coming to Selhurst. We got tonked on a regular basis, but the team never gave up. Stirring performances, the team gave their all, week in, week out. But we would not have expected anything else. We won/drew as many as we lost.

Only 6 wins all season, including the double over Man City to stay up.

John Jackson kept us up almost single-handedly.

The only foreigners were the Welsh, Scots and Irish :D (and Per Bartram and Borge Thorup).

Maybe time has affected my memories of that season. Or maybe football really was more enjoyable back then.

and 1972/73

Don Rogers, Alan Whittle, Charlie Cooke, Derek Possee and all that.

Jim Cannon's debut (and debut goal - he played Peter Osgood off the park) & beating Chelsea. Our first Div.1 London Derby victory in 4 years and 32 games of trying!

The departure of Bert Head. :(

The arrival of 'Big Mal' :)

How did that team manage to get relegated??

And relegated again the following season??? :confused:

olly cromwell
07-06-2015, 06:27 AM
78/9 for me as I went to every game
The win at Wrexham season ran it close though, amazing how Wrexham choked in the last 2 games (I also went to Wrexham v Mansfield)

Big Gav
07-06-2015, 06:55 AM
78/79 for me. A great buzz about the place. A great team to watch with some huge crowds the following season especially. The whole matchday experience and atmosphere in the ground was fantastic. And watching John Burridge's warm ups :) And the Burnley match to top it off
Perhaps it was my age back then but it just seemed so special

gold76
13-06-2015, 11:14 AM
93-94, played some sublime stuff, first season in the new Whitehorse, cost 100

David Amsalem
13-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Never been so confident going to a game than I was in Dowie first season in charge. That team had the perfect blend and balance and was such a threat going forward and solid in defence.

aslan
13-06-2015, 12:07 PM
12/13 & 03/04 - The 2 last promotion seasons. Getting promoted is a lot of fun - especially when so unexpected. Both seasons things just clicked. The dawning realisation that our team was actually pretty good. Brushing aside other promotion favourites against the odds. Sunderland at home on 03/04 with Freedman's wonder goal. Leicester away in 2012 when Wilf and Yala ripped them apart. Great times.

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 09:45 PM

True. Often forgotten goal in what was a forgettable 1-1 draw. Had it been last minute like Deano's 4 months later I think it would get a lot more love. Because it was first half it just gets forgotten.

Grim Reaper
12-08-2015, 09:50 PM
I loved so may seasons

93-94 - my first year of properly going nearly every week
98-99 - the only season I did every single game, which included some clunkers but the fact we avoided relegation after administration was pretty cool,

However, going to throw my vote for 1996-97. Not the very best team but Freedman, Dyer on fire, Hoppo, the Shipp, Deano, Veart (think even he reached double figures for goals,) Edworthy, Roberts was a pretty decent team.

Plenty of entertaining games along the way , esp pre-Xmas (Tranmere 3-1 / Man City 3-1 / a run of 6-1: 4-0 : 6-1 in a week!) all rounded off nicely with Hoppo looking to curl one!

No4 Son
13-08-2015, 01:58 PM
03/04 was a classic and the one that firmly cemented the 'I want to go every week' feeling in me. Wayne and Julian down the wings with AJ in the middle we were, as we sang 'unbeatable' in that division.

The year under Warnock to the semis was againt a great year, much like the one above.

WestBerksPalace
13-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Rash the Smash season!!

Yep for me;

1st - 76/77 - Every home game between Feb-May was a cracker, 4-0 v Sheff Wed, 5-0 v Gills I think, 4-1 v Lincoln, then that memorable 4-2 at Wrexham.

2nd- 93/94 - Best team in the league by a country mile, played some lovely football, before Smith lost the plot, and the changing room.

3rd - 90/91 - Best team we had ever had, lots of memories of that season, but the biggest one, is being cheated out of a European place, still hurts.

Pistol Knight
13-08-2015, 05:34 PM
"Team of the 80's" 1978 - 1981 used to follow the 'reserve/youth team as well
1989-1990 Wright & Bright in full effect
and the last 2 seasons

stevedb55
13-08-2015, 07:32 PM

Spot on, Holmesdale was great in those days with the surges down the middle, and I think it was about a pound to get in....

Lee sinnots ear
13-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Whats your favourite season following Palace, mine is 1978/79 when we won the league. What a great young team that was.

This I personally watched 40 games and concede just 19 goals.:love:

Never been more optimistic than that year but sadly all fell apart 18 months later. Let's hope to Christ it doesn't happen with this team:eek:

Lee sinnots ear
13-08-2015, 09:15 PM
1969/70. First ever top-flight season.

It finished ridiculously early (beginning of April) because of the 1970 World Cup in Brazil, the best World Cup EVER, but perhaps again nostalgia is taking over (and that is maybe another thread).

All the famous teams and players were coming to Selhurst. We got tonked on a regular basis, but the team never gave up. Stirring performances, the team gave their all, week in, week out. But we would not have expected anything else. We won/drew as many as we lost.

Only 6 wins all season, including the double over Man City to stay up.

John Jackson kept us up almost single-handedly.

The only foreigners were the Welsh, Scots and Irish :D (and Per Bartram and Borge Thorup).

Maybe time has affected my memories of that season. Or maybe football really was more enjoyable back then.

and 1972/73

Don Rogers, Alan Whittle, Charlie Cooke, Derek Possee and all that.

Jim Cannon's debut (and debut goal - he played Peter Osgood off the park) & beating Chelsea. Our first Div.1 London Derby victory in 4 years and 32 games of trying!

The departure of Bert Head. :(

The arrival of 'Big Mal' :)

How did that team manage to get relegated??

And relegated again the following season??? :confused:

I remember every element of your post :lux:

Speporoni
13-08-2015, 09:18 PM
2012/13 the promotion season .. I will never forget petoborough away when wilf and Bolasie tore them apart to come back.

Joe Knight
13-08-2015, 11:22 PM
For some strange unfathomable reason it will be 1998-99 for me,sums up Palace for me that season! Just 2 defeats at home in 23 matches under Venereals then Sir Steve but just 3 away wins & 15 defeats on the road! We started the season watching the sublime talents of Lombardo-Curcic-Jansen (our 'holy trinity') The emergence of gifted youngsters Hayden Mullins & Clinton Morrisson,The Suprise departures of Edworthy,Hriedarsson,Shipperley & Dyer.The 'talents' of Miller,Amsalem,Austin,Bradbury,ect ect,it was the season we signed Fan Zhiyi & Sun Jihai :lux:

The 2 mysterious Argentinians Christian Ledesma & Pablo Rodriguez (did either ever play? Or even actually sign!?) Walter Del Rio,Gordan Petric,Andy Turner,Nicky Rizzo,Matt Svensson,Craig Foster (a SHIT! Jedinak!) Talk about a multinational line-up! :eek:

The Classy displays of Craig Moore I remember to this day,under Venereals we swept teams aside at home early doors,Bury 4-2 in which I remember Warhurst starting & finishing a move that went from our penalty box to Thiers,fantastic football,Norwich hammered 5-1 in October in which Rizzo scored a swerving 35 yard blinder,Pompey 4-1.It looked like,at home at least! It was slowly coming together! Although our away form was shocking! Seemingly lost by 3's & 4's each away game!

Then Xmas 98 murmurings of financial trouble reared its head,lo & behold come January 'Super Matt' leaves for Blackburn for 4.5M,Lombardo leaves for Lazio (& wins the Cup Winners Cup!) Moore returns to Rangers,Jihai back to Dalian Wanda,Sasa grows a whispy beard & goes on strike! His walk round the ground before the Barnsley/Bradford Sunday game 'Stop the NATO bombing' :D

Sir Steve returns,administration hits,6 leave on loan on deadline day,kids like Woozeley,Evans,Carlisle,Thomson,Martin,Frampton come to the fore,a much malinged Dean Austin gets the winner amongst raptous scenes away at Norwich as part of a 10 match unbeaten run which lifts us upto midtable,The Grim Reaper walking down Holmesdale road before our final home match V Huddersfield,Miller throwing the ball in the net & even missing a pie in our 6-0 hammering at Loftus Road on the last day which keeps the 'Arrr's' up,Fan sent off for 'attacking the ref' pfftt! :D alongside Woozeley,what memories,what a season! :p

Thank you for bringing back these memories - what a mental time that was.

Ogmios
13-08-2015, 11:30 PM
09/10...

Moses overhead kick, and his goals at reading

Excluding play offs and Hillsborough, I think that Reading game was my favourite match I've ever been to.

Glaws Eagle
17-08-2015, 07:41 AM
1978/79 .... no question

Went to 33 games this season .....

Highlights .... Millwall away 3-0 ... Cambridge away 0-0 ... Orient away 1-0 and of course Burnley.

tasty_snacks
17-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Tough question.

03/04 I reckon. AJ, the complete turnaround, that magnificent day in South Wales. Some corkers that season - 6-3 vs Stoke springs to mind. Such exuberance around the place at that time.

93/94 runs it close. Can remember all the kids in school talking about us - first time in my young life that I was genuinely proud to be Palace.

12/13 also up there. The abundance of goals we scored in the first half of the season. Wow.